Short Essay Questions
1. How long is the Prefatory in Roughing It, and what is its purpose?
2. As stated in the Prefatory, what is Twain's intention in writing Roughing It?
3. How does the author build up the anticipation for the book in the Prefatory?
4. What are Twain's views about the amount of information in the book, as he states in the Prefatory?
5. What is the writing style of Mark Twain that is established in the Prefatory?
6. What is Roughing It about, according to the author?
7. How does the narrator begin his journey in Chapter I?
8. What are the limitations of the stage coach that is going to Carson City, Nevada, and which items does the narrator take with him?
9. How is the breakfast that the narrator is served in Nebraska described, and what future traveling accommodations does he compare his situation to?
10. How does the narrator describe the coyotes he sees?
This section contains 890 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)