Short Answer Questions Key
1. How many novels had Mark Twain written before Roughing It?
2. Where does the author start out on his journey?
3. Where is the author traveling to?
4. What is Hawaii called in the book?
The Sandwich Islands.
5. When does the book take place?
The early 1860s.
6. Where is the mining business taking place during the time the book was written?
The Western States.
7. What state in particular is the backdrop for the mining adventures described in the story?
8. What is the tone of the book?
9. What is Twain examining in Roughing It?
The economic boom of the area he visits.
This section contains 4,739 words
(approx. 16 pages at 300 words per page)