|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter I-IX.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Hawaii called in the book?
(a) The Sandwich Islands.
(b) The Leftover Islands.
(c) The Cookie Islands.
(d) The Pineapple Islands.
2. How is the coyote described in the story?
(a) As a slow animal that attempts to take off at the first sign of threat.
(b) As a slow animal that does not know how to leave at the sign of threat.
(c) As a fast animal that takes off at the first sign of threat.
(d) As a fast animal that does not know how to leave at the sign of threat.
3. How much will the narrator's brother be paid for his new job?
(a) Eighteen hundred dollars per month.
(b) Eight hundred dollars per month.
(c) Eighteen hundred dollars per year.
(d) Eight hundred dollars per year.
4. What is noted as particularly impressive about the style of the book?
(a) Only its longevity.
(b) Its vocabulary, descriptions, and longevity.
(c) Only its descriptions.
(d) Only its vocabulary.
5. What is it that the narrator envies the most about his brother's new job?
(a) The status.
(b) The hours.
(c) The money.
(d) The social advantages.
Short Answer Questions
1. How far have the narrator and his brother traveled from their departure when they reach Overland City?
2. How many miles away from St. Joseph have the narrator and his brother traveled by the end of Chapter IX?
3. What job has the narrator's brother been given for the state of Nevada?
4. What is it about English that Twain is studying?
5. How fast does a Pony Express rider travel?
This section contains 339 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)