|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Mastermind's killing of his victim look to the police?
2. Which famed room is the conference room used by the executives for their meeting?
3. What does Francis do in the condominium parking lot after jumping five stories into the swimming pool and running from Cross and Cavalierre?
4. Who is Theresa Lopez?
5. What are the kids watching on television when the police break into Brand's apartment?
Short Essay Questions
1. What continues in the neighborhood where Mitchell Brand lives, despite the police presence? How do the police know this?
2. Why does Cross think there are two Masterminds?
3. Is Veronica Macdougall a believable witness to her father's guilt? Why would she willingly give him up?
4. What is significant about the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel? Who worked on the renovation of the hotel in 1992?
5. What does the Indian cab driver say when Cross flashes his detective's badge and jumps in while chasing Szabo? How does Szabo act when he gets out of his cab and starts walking down the street?
6. How does the Mastermind decide to "top" himself in Hartford? Why?
7. What currently links Dr. Francis to Hazelwood even though he no longer works there and is in Florida? How does Francis know Szabo?
8. Has Cavalierre been married before and does she have any kids?
9. Why does it seem like Szabo would be a perfect fit for the First Union robbery? How does the job he had there fit with his mental disorder?
10. Does the Mastermind have the agents throw the money and diamonds from the train right away? How does he have them throw the money and diamonds off the train eventually?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the general attitude of the people who work at MetroHartford? What evidence is there to support this attitude? How might it have attracted the Mastermind to want to kidnap them?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various conflicts between the different law-enforcement groups throughout the novel. What are the various causes of these conflicts? How are they approached and resolved, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
Veronica Macdougall reads a statement to the police that gets her father arrested. What motivates her to turn her father in? How does the evidence she presents implicate her father?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)