|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which politician is joked about as having a morning shot of liquor?
2. Who is Dr. Cioffi?
3. What do workers carry at Hazelwood that are not found at other mental institutions?
4. What does Jannie want to be when she grows up?
5. Who is Kathleen McGuigan?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Cavalierre and Cross are getting off the elevator in the hotel in Hartford, why does she say "Walsh?" Why is it startling for Cross to think Walsh is there?
2. Does the Mastermind have the agents throw the money and diamonds from the train right away? How does he have them throw the money and diamonds off the train eventually?
3. What kind of surveillance does Brian Macdougall warn will cause a hostage to be shot? What does the FBI do at the Capitol Hilton?
4. Is Cavalierre in Washington, D.C., when the FBI finds Agent Walsh dead? Does Cavalierre believe that Agent Walsh killed himself? Why or why not?
5. What does the Indian cab driver say when Cross flashes his detective's badge and jumps in while chasing Szabo? How does Szabo act when he gets out of his cab and starts walking down the street?
6. What does Cross call Christine's apartment and garden in Mitchellville? What does Christine's garden remind Cross of?
7. Why does Cross turn Cavalierre down for a drink a second time? Does she feel rejected by this?
8. What currently links Dr. Francis to Hazelwood even though he no longer works there and is in Florida? How does Francis know Szabo?
9. Does Colonel Schofield bad-mouth Detective Cross to his staff at Hazelwood? What does Cross pose as when he goes undercover? Does he have the credentials for that area of expertise?
10. Is Detective Weiss an effective interrogator of Brian Macdougall? Why or why not?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Since criminals break the law by definition, what codes, if any, do they follow? The Mastermind also seems to enjoy killing the teams of robbers he hires. How does he justify killing the first team? The second team? Is he a hypocrite?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the ways that "hate mail" is used in the story. What does it reveal about the characters who write it? How is it used by law enforcement to track the killers? Does it always lead to the right person? Explain.
Essay Topic 3
In the MetroHartford kidnapping, the kidnappers are in complete control of the situation. Explain how the author indicates this and how it foreshadows the identity of the kidnappers.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)