|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the corporate group on board the tour bus?
2. Where do Cross and Cavalierre go to talk to Francis?
3. What is Cross' favorite home-cooked dish?
4. How many times had Macdougall met the Mastermind?
5. Who is Theresa Lopez?
Short Essay Questions
1. What currently links Dr. Francis to Hazelwood even though he no longer works there and is in Florida? How does Francis know Szabo?
2. Is Detective Weiss an effective interrogator of Brian Macdougall? Why or why not?
3. What are two of Brian Macdougall's three rules when he takes over the tour bus? What do the hostages pass to the front of the bus? Why?
4. Why does Sampson alert Cross after the second night of surveillance of the MetroHartford kidnapping? Why does Cross "see red" when Sampson alerts him about the bust going down on Mitchell Brand?
5. Is Cavalierre in Washington, D.C., when the FBI finds Agent Walsh dead? Does Cavalierre believe that Agent Walsh killed himself? Why or why not?
6. How does the Mastermind decide to "top" himself in Hartford? Why?
7. Does Colonel Schofield bad-mouth Detective Cross to his staff at Hazelwood? What does Cross pose as when he goes undercover? Does he have the credentials for that area of expertise?
8. When Cavalierre and Cross are getting off the elevator in the hotel in Hartford, why does she say "Walsh?" Why is it startling for Cross to think Walsh is there?
9. What is significant about the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel? Who worked on the renovation of the hotel in 1992?
10. In what context is the term "prairie-dogging" used? Why do the MetroHartford people do that?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Frederic Szabo's state of mind. What does he have in common with the Mastermind? What evidence supports the possibility that he is the Mastermind? What evidence points to the fact that he is not the Mastermind?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the various conflicts between the different law-enforcement groups throughout the novel. What are the various causes of these conflicts? How are they approached and resolved, if at all?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Mastermind's general attitude toward women? Describe his interactions with the women in the book. How do his interactions support this attitude?
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)