|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What line of work are the suspects in the MetroHartford kidnapping in?
2. What does Cavalierre drink that Cross matches in cups of coffee?
3. Where does Cavalierre take Cross in her Saab when she picks him up from his house?
4. Who is Lynda Cole?
5. Traces of what were found in the farmhouse sink?
Short Essay Questions
1. Has Cavalierre been married before and does she have any kids?
2. What is significant about the Renaissance Mayflower Hotel? Who worked on the renovation of the hotel in 1992?
3. Why does Sampson alert Cross after the second night of surveillance of the MetroHartford kidnapping? Why does Cross "see red" when Sampson alerts him about the bust going down on Mitchell Brand?
4. What kind of surveillance does Brian Macdougall warn will cause a hostage to be shot? What does the FBI do at the Capitol Hilton?
5. What does the Indian cab driver say when Cross flashes his detective's badge and jumps in while chasing Szabo? How does Szabo act when he gets out of his cab and starts walking down the street?
6. Is Detective Weiss an effective interrogator of Brian Macdougall? Why or why not?
7. Of what caliber is the new crew the Mastermind is interviewing for his next robbery after killing the crew with Mr. Blue, Ms. Green, Mr. Red and Mr. White? How does he entice them to do his work for him?
8. Does Colonel Schofield bad-mouth Detective Cross to his staff at Hazelwood? What does Cross pose as when he goes undercover? Does he have the credentials for that area of expertise?
9. How does the Mastermind decide to "top" himself in Hartford? Why?
10. Who is Patrick Lee? Why is Szabo so mad at him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the ways that "hate mail" is used in the story. What does it reveal about the characters who write it? How is it used by law enforcement to track the killers? Does it always lead to the right person? Explain.
Essay Topic 2
Jannie's illness is a subplot in the book. Why would the author use this as a device?
Essay Topic 3
What is the Mastermind's general attitude toward women? Describe his interactions with the women in the book. How do his interactions support this attitude?
This section contains 761 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)