|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
3. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
4. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
5. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the use of language styles in Stoppard's play. To what end does Stoppard utilize Elizabethan English in some scenes and modern English in others. Does this also help in identifying locations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Using the lies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told Claudius about the whereabouts of Hamlet, discuss in your paper how telling lies almost always ends in difficult situations. Give a real world example.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)