|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. During rehearsal, what is it that the Player says the troupe does really well?
2. What is Hamlet doing?
3. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
4. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
5. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
2. What prophetic remark does Rosencrantz make while they wait for instructions?
3. What does Hamlet ask the Player?
4. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
5. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
6. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
7. What happens over the subject of money?
8. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
9. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
10. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper describing the characters of Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and the Player as you see them? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How well do you like them? Can you recall people from real life that are similar?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how reading a play is different from reading a novel. In a play, how much depends on the imagination of the reader? What is included in a novel that is missing from a play? What part does "seeing" play in the reading of a drama?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)