|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
2. Beside the two British Ambassadors, what characters from Shakespeare are on stage at the end of the play?
3. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
4. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
5. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
2. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
4. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
5. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
6. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
7. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
8. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
9. The stage is dark when Act 3 begins. Describe what the audience hears.
10. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the importance of dialogue in a play. Describe how the dialogue in Stoppard's play sounds real as opposed to being contrived. What does an audience get from the dialogueue? How is dialog in a play like telling a story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper contrasting chance and destiny. Do you believe in destiny or fate? If so, why, and if not, why not?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)