|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
2. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
3. How many corpses does the Player say the drama will have at the end?
4. What happens when Rosencrantz kicks one of the large barrels?
5. What does Guildenstern say about death?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
2. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
3. What advice does Rosencrantz give the Player whose troupe is invited to entertain at court?
4. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
5. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
6. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
7. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
8. When Hamlet enters in Act 2, what does he say?
9. How does the audience realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are really dead?
10. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper contrasting chance and destiny. Do you believe in destiny or fate? If so, why, and if not, why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the importance of dialogue in a play. Describe how the dialogue in Stoppard's play sounds real as opposed to being contrived. What does an audience get from the dialogueue? How is dialog in a play like telling a story?
This section contains 704 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)