|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens after the Player dies?
2. During rehearsal, what is it that the Player says the troupe does really well?
3. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
4. What is it that Guildenstern still does not know?
5. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on costuming for a play. Hamlet has been staged often in modern dress. Why, then, is it important in Stoppard's play that the costumes be Elizabethan? What do you think the costumes add to the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on why and how there were no female actors during the Elizabethan age. Use Alfred as your example of how female characters were portrayed. Include the idea that Shakespeare himself may have begun his career in the theater as a female impersonator.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Using the lies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told Claudius about the whereabouts of Hamlet, discuss in your paper how telling lies almost always ends in difficult situations. Give a real world example.
This section contains 1,005 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)