|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rosencrantz think he can leave?
2. During rehearsal, what is it that the Player says the troupe does really well?
3. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
4. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
5. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on how reading a play is different from reading a novel. In a play, how much depends on the imagination of the reader? What is included in a novel that is missing from a play? What part does "seeing" play in the reading of a drama?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the importance of dialogue in a play. Describe how the dialogue in Stoppard's play sounds real as opposed to being contrived. What does an audience get from the dialogueue? How is dialog in a play like telling a story?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
This section contains 1,053 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)