|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
2. What does Hamlet do with the letter he takes from Guildenstern?
3. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
4. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
5. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
2. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
3. What happens over the subject of money?
4. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
5. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
6. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
7. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
8. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern trying to figure out where they are?
9. What leads up to the death scene and how does it play out?
10. What advice does Rosencrantz give the Player whose troupe is invited to entertain at court?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how reading a play is different from reading a novel. In a play, how much depends on the imagination of the reader? What is included in a novel that is missing from a play? What part does "seeing" play in the reading of a drama?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)