|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
2. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
4. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
5. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
2. The stage is dark when Act 3 begins. Describe what the audience hears.
3. What leads up to the death scene and how does it play out?
4. What does Hamlet ask the Player?
5. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
6. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
7. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
8. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
9. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
10. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on staged plays as opposed to films. Discuss what you think the advantages and disadvantages are of both types. What are the elements of entertainment one gets from the staged play that is missing from a film and vice versa? Give examples from your own experience.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
This section contains 757 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)