|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
3. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
4. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
5. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on how effectively you think Stoppard's use of Shakespeare's play works in ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD. Do you think it is necessary to see the Shakespearean play before reading or viewing Stoppard's play? How well do you think Stoppard's use of two otherwise minor characters as the leads works.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Do some research on the Elizabethan theater and write a paper on how Stoppard's staging of his play borrows from staging during Shakespeare's time. In your paper include how the Player and his troupe were able to stage plays as they moved from place to place.
This section contains 1,050 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)