|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. To lighten the discussion, what does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern?
2. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
3. What does Hamlet do with the letter he takes from Guildenstern?
4. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
5. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
2. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
3. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
4. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
5. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern trying to figure out where they are?
6. The stage is dark when Act 3 begins. Describe what the audience hears.
7. What is Guildenstern's rationale for not catching Hamlet?
8. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
9. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
10. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on why and how there were no female actors during the Elizabethan age. Use Alfred as your example of how female characters were portrayed. Include the idea that Shakespeare himself may have begun his career in the theater as a female impersonator.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)