|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
2. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
3. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
4. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
5. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on staged plays as opposed to films. Discuss what you think the advantages and disadvantages are of both types. What are the elements of entertainment one gets from the staged play that is missing from a film and vice versa? Give examples from your own experience.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the social position of actors during the Elizabethan age. Using Guildenstern's line that the troupe's company was welcome for lack of any other, explain the contradiction of loving plays while looking down on the players.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Using the lies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told Claudius about the whereabouts of Hamlet, discuss in your paper how telling lies almost always ends in difficult situations. Give a real world example.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)