|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
2. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
3. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
4. What happens after the Player dies?
5. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
Essay Topic 1
Write a critique of Stoppard's play. Detail what you think are its strong points and where you think it might have been improved. At the end of your critique, rate it from one to five stars as a recommendation for someone else to read or see.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on how reading a play is different from reading a novel. In a play, how much depends on the imagination of the reader? What is included in a novel that is missing from a play? What part does "seeing" play in the reading of a drama?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
This section contains 1,032 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)