|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they bicker about?
2. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
3. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
4. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
5. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
Short Essay Questions
1. When Hamlet does return, what does he say about the body?
2. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
3. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
5. What are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern doing at the beginning of Act 2?
6. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
7. When Hamlet enters in Act 2, what does he say?
8. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
9. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
10. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on why and how there were no female actors during the Elizabethan age. Use Alfred as your example of how female characters were portrayed. Include the idea that Shakespeare himself may have begun his career in the theater as a female impersonator.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting chance and destiny. Do you believe in destiny or fate? If so, why, and if not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about premonitions and foreshadowing. Using examples from Stoppard's play, discuss how the recurring theme of death actually forecasts the outcome of the play. How does even the title of the play add to that idea?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)