|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
2. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
3. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
4. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
5. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
2. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
3. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
4. What happens over the subject of money?
5. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
6. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
7. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
8. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
9. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
10. What does Hamlet ask the Player?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about the use of language styles in Stoppard's play. To what end does Stoppard utilize Elizabethan English in some scenes and modern English in others. Does this also help in identifying locations?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
This section contains 703 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)