|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
2. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
3. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
4. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
5. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
Short Essay Questions
1. Tell about the dialogue between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern after Rosencrantz insists they have permission to leave.
2. When Hamlet does return, what does he say about the body?
3. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
4. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern trying to figure out where they are?
5. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
6. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
7. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
8. What prophetic remark does Rosencrantz make while they wait for instructions?
9. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
10. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper describing the characters of Rosencrantz, Guildenstern, and the Player as you see them? What are their strengths and weaknesses? How well do you like them? Can you recall people from real life that are similar?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Using the lies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told Claudius about the whereabouts of Hamlet, discuss in your paper how telling lies almost always ends in difficult situations. Give a real world example.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
This section contains 686 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)