|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Rosencrantz's answer please Guildenstern?
2. What does Guildenstern suggest they do with Hamlet?
3. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
4. How does Guildenstern reply to Rosencrantz's idea about how Guildenstern must be feeling?
5. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Player's misconception about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
3. Why do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak differently to Claudius and Gertrude?
4. What rather unusual encounter do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern then have in the undisclosed location?
5. How does the subject of fear affect both Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
6. Describe Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as the play opens.
7. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
8. How does Guildenstern test the oddity of the coin game?
9. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
10. How does Guildenstern attempt to change the subject away from the coins?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on costuming for a play. Hamlet has been staged often in modern dress. Why, then, is it important in Stoppard's play that the costumes be Elizabethan? What do you think the costumes add to the play?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper contrasting chance and destiny. Do you believe in destiny or fate? If so, why, and if not, why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on how reading a play is different from reading a novel. In a play, how much depends on the imagination of the reader? What is included in a novel that is missing from a play? What part does "seeing" play in the reading of a drama?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)