|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
2. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
3. When Rosencrantz begins saying he is afraid, what is it he was going to say before Guildenstern stops him?
4. What does Guildenstern mean when he says he is afraid, too?
5. What type of performance does the Player say they can put on for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. Throughout the play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern never leave the stage. What stops them from following the Queen's attendants to go find Hamlet?
3. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
4. What does Guildenstern's comment that he is afraid today is his day mean?
5. What things are troubling Rosencrantz as he and Guildenstern are once again left alone on the stage?
6. What appears to be the relationship between the two men?
7. What rather unusual encounter do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern then have in the undisclosed location?
8. Why are Guildenstern and Rosencrantz on this road and what has Guildenstern been expecting?
9. Trying to make sense of their situation, to what does Guildenstern think back?
10. Why do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak differently to Claudius and Gertrude?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on why and how there were no female actors during the Elizabethan age. Use Alfred as your example of how female characters were portrayed. Include the idea that Shakespeare himself may have begun his career in the theater as a female impersonator.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about premonitions and foreshadowing. Using examples from Stoppard's play, discuss how the recurring theme of death actually forecasts the outcome of the play. How does even the title of the play add to that idea?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)