|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
2. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What is the fanciful conversation started by Guildenstern when Rosencrantz hears a sound.
4. What strange comment does Rosencrantz make about questions?
5. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
Short Essay Questions
1. Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz if he appears to be contradicting himself. What is Rosencrantz's odd reply?
2. How does Guildenstern test the oddity of the coin game?
3. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
4. How does Guildenstern take advantage of the Player?
5. Why is Guildenstern so repulsed by the Player's immoral suggestions for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
6. What is the feeling the audience gets from the strange coin spinning game Guildenstern and Rosencrantz play?
7. How does Guildenstern show that he is still being analytical about their situation?
8. What comic relief does the dialogue about home provide for the play?
9. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
10. When Rosencrantz collects the coin that was under the Player's foot, why does he tell Guildenstern that he was lucky?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the use of language styles in Stoppard's play. To what end does Stoppard utilize Elizabethan English in some scenes and modern English in others. Does this also help in identifying locations?
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper on madness. Using Hamlet as an example, write about the different ways he appears as mad in the play. Describe the moments in the play when Hamlet seems lucid and behaves like a normal person. Give your opinion about whether Hamlet was acting from madness when he wrote the additional scene to The Murder of Gonzalo.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)