|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guildenstern say will eventually turn the game around?
2. What is the leader of the traveling group called?
3. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
4. What is the Player's apology to Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
5. When the troupe runs out of money, what do they offer Guildenstern?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the subject of fear affect both Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. How does Guildenstern show that he is still being analytical about their situation?
3. Describe the dialogue that shows the confusion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at this point.
4. What appears to be the relationship between the two men?
5. How does Gertrude reinforce the idea that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are friends of Hamlet's?
6. How does Guildenstern come across as the more intelligent of the two men?
7. What is the feeling the audience gets from the strange coin spinning game Guildenstern and Rosencrantz play?
8. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
9. Describe Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as the play opens.
10. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about minimalist staging of a play. In ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD, there is little in the way of background or props. What methods are used to indicate locations? Why does the audience accept this kind of staging?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper on the tangled web we weave when we practice to deceive. Using the lies Rosencrantz and Guildenstern told Claudius about the whereabouts of Hamlet, discuss in your paper how telling lies almost always ends in difficult situations. Give a real world example.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about the use of language styles in Stoppard's play. To what end does Stoppard utilize Elizabethan English in some scenes and modern English in others. Does this also help in identifying locations?
This section contains 786 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)