|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Guildenstern assures Rosencrantz that they will be all right, what is Rosencrantz's reply?
2. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
3. When the troupe runs out of money, what do they offer Guildenstern?
4. What does Gertrude tell Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. What is Polonius' message for Claudius?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak differently to Claudius and Gertrude?
2. How does the Player reinforce the idea that the troupe is willing to perform a vulgar show?
3. How does Guildenstern take advantage of the Player?
4. What rather unusual encounter do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern then have in the undisclosed location?
5. How does the audience understand that Rosencrantz is quite naive?
6. How does Gertrude reinforce the idea that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are friends of Hamlet's?
7. Describe the dialogue that shows the confusion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at this point.
8. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
9. What does Guildenstern's comment that he is afraid today is his day mean?
10. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper on political revenge. Discuss in your paper the reasons Claudius had for wanting Hamlet dead. Also address the position of Gertrude as Claudius' wife as well as being Hamlet's mother.
Essay Topic 2
Do some research on the Elizabethan theater and write a paper on how Stoppard's staging of his play borrows from staging during Shakespeare's time. In your paper include how the Player and his troupe were able to stage plays as they moved from place to place.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper about friendship. Using Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as examples, describe how one friend is usually dominant. Also write about how even the best of friends often quarrel or bicker.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)