|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks if the troupe found them by chance?
2. Grabbing hold of the Player angrily, how does Guildenstern excuse himself?
3. What are the instruments the musicians play?
4. What is the Player's reaction when Guildenstern says he may be able to use his influence at the court to get them shows?
5. If they discover what is troubling Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz want to know?
Short Essay Questions
1. Trying to make sense of their situation, to what does Guildenstern think back?
2. What comic relief does the dialogue about home provide for the play?
3. How does the subject of fear affect both Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
5. How does Guildenstern show that he is still being analytical about their situation?
6. What things are troubling Rosencrantz as he and Guildenstern are once again left alone on the stage?
7. What does Guildenstern's comment that he is afraid today is his day mean?
8. Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz if he appears to be contradicting himself. What is Rosencrantz's odd reply?
9. What rather unusual encounter do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern then have in the undisclosed location?
10. How does Gertrude reinforce the idea that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are friends of Hamlet's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write a paper about minimalist staging of a play. In ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE DEAD, there is little in the way of background or props. What methods are used to indicate locations? Why does the audience accept this kind of staging?
Essay Topic 2
Write a paper about the social position of actors during the Elizabethan age. Using Guildenstern's line that the troupe's company was welcome for lack of any other, explain the contradiction of loving plays while looking down on the players.
Essay Topic 3
Write a paper contrasting chance and destiny. Do you believe in destiny or fate? If so, why, and if not, why not?
This section contains 794 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)