|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
(a) Play another game of coins
(b) Call for Claudius
(c) Leave for home
(d) Hit Hamlet over the head
2. How does Stoppard dramatize the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Having them walk out of the single spotlight on them.
(b) Having them climb back into the barrels.
(c) Having them drink poison and fall to the deck.
(d) Having them hang from a mast.
3. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(b) Do you think death awaits us in England?
(c) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(d) Do you think the ship will sink?
4. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he is not acting like himself.
(c) That he keeps changing the subject.
(d) That he won't talk to them.
5. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
(a) He asks nonsense questions and accepts nonsense answers.
(b) He believes Ophelia is a nun.
(c) He is always talking to himself and drags the body of Polonius around.
(d) He does not recognize Claudius and Gertrude.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
2. What happens when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make a snare for Hamlet out of their belts?
3. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
5. Who are in the barrels?
Short Essay Questions
1. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
2. What prophetic remark does Rosencrantz make while they wait for instructions?
3. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
4. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
5. What causes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to laugh over the new coin game?
6. What leads up to the death scene and how does it play out?
7. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
8. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
9. What does Hamlet ask the Player?
10. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)