|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
(a) That they are now done with them.
(b) That Claudius is not angry anymore.
(c) That Hamlet has given himself up.
(d) That he does not remember coming inside.
2. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
(a) He does not recognize Claudius and Gertrude.
(b) He believes Ophelia is a nun.
(c) He asks nonsense questions and accepts nonsense answers.
(d) He is always talking to himself and drags the body of Polonius around.
3. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(b) If he is afraid to face death
(c) If he thinks he will never die
(d) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
4. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
(a) It is a maid.
(b) It is Hamlet in a dress.
(c) It is the boy, Alfred.
(d) It is Ophelia.
5. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He cuts the Player's throat.
(b) He uses it to slice bread.
(c) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
(d) He cleans his nails.
Short Answer Questions
1. To lighten the discussion, what does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern?
2. How does Stoppard dramatize the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. Who are the last to die?
4. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
5. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
2. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
3. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
4. Tell about the dialogue between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern after Rosencrantz insists they have permission to leave.
5. When Hamlet does return, what does he say about the body?
6. What is Guildenstern's rationale for not catching Hamlet?
7. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
8. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
9. How does the audience realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are really dead?
10. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
This section contains 831 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)