|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The sun is sinking in the west.
(b) That must be the raod home.
(c) The audience looks asleep.
(d) The direction he is looking must be east.
2. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
(a) That a battle is going on
(b) That the scene is in a carriage.
(c) That the scene is in a jail
(d) That the scene is on a ship
3. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(b) If he thinks he will never die
(c) If he is afraid to face death
(d) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
4. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They think they know the answer.
(c) They are satisfied.
(d) They are confused.
5. What is the one bit of knowledge that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are sure of?
(a) That Gertrude is a boy named Alfred
(b) That they are facing north
(c) That Hamlet is bing sent to England
(d) That they were called to deliver a message
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
2. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
3. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
4. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
5. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
Short Essay Questions
1. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
2. What is Guildenstern's rationale for not catching Hamlet?
3. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
4. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
5. Tell about the dialogue between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern after Rosencrantz insists they have permission to leave.
6. When Hamlet enters in Act 2, what does he say?
7. The stage is dark when Act 3 begins. Describe what the audience hears.
8. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
9. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
10. When Hamlet does return, what does he say about the body?
This section contains 717 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)