|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(b) If he is afraid to face death
(c) If he thinks he will never die
(d) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
2. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are satisfied.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They are confused.
(d) They think they know the answer.
3. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The audience looks asleep.
(b) That must be the raod home.
(c) The sun is sinking in the west.
(d) The direction he is looking must be east.
4. What question does Guildenstern put to the Player?
(a) He asks what he and Rosencrantz need to know.
(b) He asks where they can find Hamlet.
(c) He asks which way is north.
(d) He asks the Player what he and Rosencrantz are supposed to do.
5. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
(b) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
(c) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
(d) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
2. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
3. What two different meanings do they seem to apply to the word madness?
4. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
5. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
2. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
3. How does the audience realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are really dead?
4. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
5. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
6. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
7. What leads up to the death scene and how does it play out?
8. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
9. What does Hamlet ask the Player?
10. What blunder does Rosencrantz make over what he thinks is a woman?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)