|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) On the way home
(b) In a dungeon
(c) On a boat
(d) In a stagecoach
2. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
(a) That he has gone into hiding.
(b) That he has escaped to Norway.
(c) That he is being interrogated by the King.
(d) That he is being taken to England by a soldier.
3. When Rosencrantz and Guildenstern talk about the weather, what do they decide?
(a) That it's unusually cold for this time of year.
(b) That it's Autumn.
(c) That it's Spring.
(d) That it's warm for Winter.
4. Why does Rosencrantz have a coin in both hands?
(a) He likes the feel of coins.
(b) He forgot he already had a coin in his hand.
(c) He wants Guildenstern to win and be happy.
(d) He wants to get rid of all his coins.
5. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
(b) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
(c) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
(d) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
2. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
3. Beside the two British Ambassadors, what characters from Shakespeare are on stage at the end of the play?
4. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
5. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
2. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
3. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
4. What are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern doing at the beginning of Act 2?
5. Tell about the dialogue between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern after Rosencrantz insists they have permission to leave.
6. What clue is there as to Hamlet's mental condition?
7. When Hamlet enters in Act 2, what does he say?
8. How does the audience realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are really dead?
9. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
10. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
This section contains 770 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)