|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
2. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
(b) The ship's captain
(c) The soldier
(d) The troupe
3. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
(a) That he has escaped to Norway.
(b) That he is being taken to England by a soldier.
(c) That he is being interrogated by the King.
(d) That he has gone into hiding.
4. Who are in the barrels?
(a) Ophelia and Gertrude
(b) The Player, the troupe, and the musicians
(c) Hamlet's bodyguards
(d) Stowaways from Denmark
5. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
(a) By saying they think he is mad
(b) With nonsense lines about direction, the wind, and hawks and handsaws
(c) With a line about being and not being which Guildenstern does not understand
(d) By saying they are trying to kill him
Short Answer Questions
1. When they open the letter, what is in it?
2. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
3. What mime does Rosencrantz perform during the discussion of death?
4. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
5. What game do they play to occupy the time?
Short Essay Questions
1. When the lights finally do come up in Act 3, what does the audience see?
2. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
3. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
4. What prophetic remark does Rosencrantz make while they wait for instructions?
5. What happens when Rosencrantz hears music?
6. What leads up to the death scene and how does it play out?
7. What causes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to laugh over the new coin game?
8. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
9. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
10. How does the audience realize that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are really dead?
This section contains 832 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)