|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What two different meanings do they seem to apply to the word madness?
(a) Either fear or excitement
(b) Either hate or love
(c) Either jealousy or revenge
(d) Either insanity or anger
2. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) Julius Caesar
(b) A Midsummer Night's Dream
(c) The Murder of Gonzago
(d) The Tempest
3. When they open the letter, what is in it?
(a) Hamlet is exiled to England.
(b) Hamlet will be sent on to the colonies.
(c) Hamlet is to marry the King's daugher.
(d) Hamlet is to be beheaded.
4. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
(a) That he is moody and melancholy.
(b) That he is a practical joker.
(c) That there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
(d) That he loves to play word games.
5. What do they bicker about?
(a) Who has the best money bag.
(b) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(c) What they are expected to do next.
(d) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do they play to occupy the time?
2. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. Why does Guildenstern say they do not need to worry about what to say to the King?
4. Why does Rosencrantz think he can leave?
5. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
2. What causes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to laugh over the new coin game?
3. Describe the hilarious scene involving the belts of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern.
4. What happens over the subject of money?
5. The stage is dark when Act 3 begins. Describe what the audience hears.
6. What is Rosencrantz's dark question on the subject of death?
7. Describe the funny bowing scene with Hamlet and Claudius.
8. What is the tragic news Claudius bears when he and Gertrude enter to find Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
9. What game does Rosencrantz initiate on the ship?
10. How does the audience know what the stage setting is in Act 3?
This section contains 759 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)