|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who enters after Hamlet and Ophelia exit the stage?
(a) The Player and the troupe
(b) Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony
(c) Ariel and Puck
(d) Claudius and Gertrude
2. When Rosencrantz collects the coin, why does he say Guildenstern was lucky?
(a) The coin was on heads again.
(b) The coin was on tails.
(c) The coin was almost lost.
(d) The coin was buried in the sand.
3. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A single coin
(b) A small bag of coins
(c) A coin for each actor
(d) A handful of coins
4. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
(a) He draws his sword and tells the Player if he suggests that again, he will kill him.
(b) He laughs in the Player's face and calls him stupid.
(c) He says he was prepared for any kind of messenger, but instead he is approached by prostitutes.
(d) He calls the Player a pimp and orders him to leave with his troupe.
5. When the time theory is disproved, what does Guildenstern think of next?
(b) Mental telepathy
(d) Divine intervention
Short Answer Questions
1. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
2. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks if the troupe found them by chance?
3. What is Alfred's reply when Guildenstern asks if he likes being an actor?
4. What indicates that Guildenstern may also be a bit confused?
5. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern identified in Stoppard's script?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
2. When Rosencrantz collects the coin that was under the Player's foot, why does he tell Guildenstern that he was lucky?
3. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. Throughout the play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern never leave the stage. What stops them from following the Queen's attendants to go find Hamlet?
5. Describe the dialogue that shows the confusion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at this point.
6. What appears to be the relationship between the two men?
7. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
8. How does Guildenstern continue trying to analyze the situation?
9. What is the Player's misconception about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
10. How does Guildenstern take advantage of the Player?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)