|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alfred's reply when Guildenstern asks if he likes being an actor?
(a) He says he never really thought about it.
(b) He says it's an easy way to earn a living.
(c) He says he does not.
(d) He says he always wanted to be an actor.
2. What is odd about the gambling game Guildenstern plays with Rosencrantz?
(a) The coins are made of wood.
(b) The coins never leave Guildenstern's hand.
(c) The coins all come up heads.
(d) The coins seem to disappear.
3. How does the dialogue change when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) They are too stunned to speak.
(b) They use Shakespearean English.
(c) They speak in riddles.
(d) The speak French.
4. What type of play does the Player mention that comes at another cost?
(a) Plays that have never been performed before
(b) Plays from classical Greek drama
(c) Plays where the audience participates
(d) Plays that last over three hours
5. What is Rosencrantz's observation about Hamlet?
(a) That the problem is more than Hamlet's father's death.
(b) That Hamlet just like to be the center of attention.
(c) That hamlet is just play acting.
(d) That Hamlet is suffering from amnesia.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the ridiculous conversation Rosencrantz initiates about fingernails and beards?
2. What type of performance does the Player say they can put on for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. When Guildenstern assures Rosencrantz that they will be all right, what is Rosencrantz's reply?
4. What does Guildenstern see when he looks at the coin after trying a new method?
5. When Guildenstern insists their meeting must have been chance, how does the Player reply?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Player reinforce the idea that the troupe is willing to perform a vulgar show?
2. What does Guildenstern say that emphasizes their helplessness in a situation they do not understand?
3. What does Guildenstern's comment that he is afraid today is his day mean?
4. Why are Guildenstern and Rosencrantz on this road and what has Guildenstern been expecting?
5. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
6. How does Gertrude reinforce the idea that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are friends of Hamlet's?
7. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
8. Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz if he appears to be contradicting himself. What is Rosencrantz's odd reply?
9. Trying to make sense of their situation, to what does Guildenstern think back?
10. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
This section contains 881 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)