|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks if he contradicts himself?
(a) Rosencrantz asks if he is talking to him.
(b) Rosencrantz pretends he doesn't hear Guildenstern.
(c) Rosencrantz asks what they have to go on.
(d) Rosencrantz assures him he is not.
2. What question does Guildenstern press on Rosencrantz during their discussion of the game?
(a) If he wants to spin one last coin double or nothing
(b) If he wants to spin the coins himself
(c) If he knows any other game they could play
(d) If he would feel the same having lost that many times
3. What is the Player's reaction when Guildenstern says he may be able to use his influence at the court to get them shows?
(a) The Player falls at his feet.
(b) The Player offers to put on a free show for them.
(c) The Player runs away.
(d) The Player doubts his word.
4. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
(a) They speak in riddles.
(b) They sound terrified.
(c) They revert to common language.
(d) They stop speaking French.
5. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
(a) The law of gravity
(b) The law of geometry
(c) The law of probability
(d) The law of the land
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Guildenstern put to Rosencrantz about language?
2. What is the source of the sounds Rosencrantz had heard?
3. What is Guildenstern's observation about their strange situation?
4. After trying again and again, what is the score of the game?
5. In what way is Rosencrantz defensive as he discusses the game with Guildenstern?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern doing at the beginning of Act 2?
2. How does the audience understand that Rosencrantz is quite naive?
3. How does Rosencrantz sum up their position?
4. What transpires when Rosencrantz brings up the subject of death?
5. How does Rosencrantz initiate a new coin game?
6. What happens when the King orders Guildenstern to go and bring Hamlet?
7. How does Guildenstern continue trying to analyze the situation?
8. How does the audience know what the stage setting is in Act 3?
9. When Rosencrantz collects the coin that was under the Player's foot, why does he tell Guildenstern that he was lucky?
10. Describe the somewhat bizarre entrance of Hamlet and Ophelia.
This section contains 813 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)