|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guildenstern continue doing with the coin tosses?
(a) Trying different ways of tossing them
(b) Biting them before tossing them
(c) Using only the heaviest coins
(d) Saying a prayer before tossing them
2. What is the ridiculous conversation Rosencrantz initiates about fingernails and beards?
(a) Whether they grow at the same rate
(b) Whether they grow before birth and after death
(c) Whether they are like toenails
(d) Whether they should be worn long or short
3. What type of performance does the Player say they can put on for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Mimes and dance accompanied by their musicians
(b) Tragedy to include deaths, disclosures, unexpected turns of events, and even transvestite melodrama
(c) Comedies that will give them stitches in their sides
(d) Only a few plays that they have memorized
4. As the scene changes from exterior to interior, who enters the stage?
(a) Ariel and Puck
(b) Anthony and Cleopatra
(c) Hamlet and Ophelia
(d) Romeo and Juliet
5. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
(a) They stop speaking French.
(b) They revert to common language.
(c) They speak in riddles.
(d) They sound terrified.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Polonius' message for Claudius?
2. What is Rosencrantz's observation about Hamlet?
3. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. What does Rosencrantz say that Guildenstern must be feeling?
5. How does Guildenstern question what is happening with the game?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the audience understand that Rosencrantz is quite naive?
2. Describe the dialogue that shows the confusion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at this point.
3. Why are Guildenstern and Rosencrantz on this road and what has Guildenstern been expecting?
4. What does Guildenstern say that emphasizes their helplessness in a situation they do not understand?
5. What is the lie Rosencrantz tells Claudius?
6. What happens over the subject of money?
7. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
8. After a blackout when someone shouts for the lights to come up, what does the audience see?
9. What advice does Rosencrantz give the Player whose troupe is invited to entertain at court?
10. Tell about the dialogue between Rosencrantz and Guildenstern after Rosencrantz insists they have permission to leave.
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)