|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Gertrude respond when she hears Guildenstern's prayer?
(a) She says, "Amen."
(b) She says, "You need more than prayer."
(c) She says, "Praise the Lord."
(d) She says, "Thy will be done."
2. What blunder does Rosencrantz make with the introductions?
(a) He fails to mention their names.
(b) He talks down to the Player as though he were a Lord.
(c) He confuses their names, calling himself Guildenstern.
(d) He cannot recall Guildenstern's name.
3. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
(b) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(c) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
(d) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
4. What type of play does the Player mention that comes at another cost?
(a) Plays where the audience participates
(b) Plays that have never been performed before
(c) Plays that last over three hours
(d) Plays from classical Greek drama
5. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
(a) They dive for it.
(b) They laugh and turn to leave.
(c) They spit on the coin.
(d) They beg the Player to take it.
Short Answer Questions
1. Still trying to explain his run of bad luck, why does Guildenstern think about time?
2. How does Guildenstern reply to Rosencrantz's idea about how Guildenstern must be feeling?
3. What exchange is there between Hamlet and Ophelia?
4. What strange comparison does Guildenstern make to the coins?
5. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks if the troupe found them by chance?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Player reinforce the idea that the troupe is willing to perform a vulgar show?
2. Throughout the play, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern never leave the stage. What stops them from following the Queen's attendants to go find Hamlet?
3. What is Claudius' request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
4. What is the Player's misconception about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz if he appears to be contradicting himself. What is Rosencrantz's odd reply?
6. What type of show does the Player attempt to offer Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
7. How does Guildenstern take advantage of the Player?
8. Describe Rosencrantz and Guildenstern as the play opens.
9. Describe the dialogue that shows the confusion of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern at this point.
10. What comic relief does the dialogue about home provide for the play?
This section contains 852 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)