|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(b) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(c) Do you think the ship will sink?
(d) Do you think death awaits us in England?
2. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
3. To lighten the discussion, what does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern?
(a) Silly and meaningless jokes about life and death
(b) The story of a man buried alive
(c) The burial practices of elephants
(d) How coffins were invented
4. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
(a) Starts shouting Hamlet's name
(b) Looks around to see if he came back
(c) Orders Guildenstern to go get him
(d) Runs off stage
5. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) That Ophelia has gone to a nunnery
(b) That Hamlet has killed Polonius
(c) That Gertrude is looking for them
(d) That the show is about to start
6. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) Where his body is
(b) What they know about him
(c) Why did Hamlet kill him
(d) Who told them he was dead
7. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
(a) With nonsense lines about direction, the wind, and hawks and handsaws
(b) By saying they think he is mad
(c) With a line about being and not being which Guildenstern does not understand
(d) By saying they are trying to kill him
8. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
(a) They have escaped from the castle.
(b) They can still talk, think, and feel.
(c) They are in a moving carriage.
(d) They are chained to a wall.
9. What happens after the Player dies?
(a) He gets up and brushes himself off.
(b) Alfred dances around his body.
(c) Everyone shouts for joy.
(d) They throw him overboard.
10. When they open the letter, what is in it?
(a) Hamlet is to be beheaded.
(b) Hamlet is exiled to England.
(c) Hamlet will be sent on to the colonies.
(d) Hamlet is to marry the King's daugher.
11. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
(c) Chained down
12. What makes Hamlet bow?
(a) Seeing the Player approach
(b) Tying his shoelace
(c) Seeing Claudius approaching
(d) Thinking of Ophelia
13. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
(a) That Claudius is not angry anymore.
(b) That he does not remember coming inside.
(c) That they are now done with them.
(d) That Hamlet has given himself up.
14. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
(a) That he went to England.
(b) That he is with the Queen.
(c) That he is in the library.
(d) That he is under guard.
15. Who are the last to die?
(a) Hamlet and the Player swordfight and kill each other.
(b) The two captured pirates are thrown overboard.
(c) Hamlet and Ophelia drink poison and die in each other's arms.
(d) The two remaining tragedians are dressed as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and are stabbed.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Guildenstern's reply when Rosencrantz says they have nothing to do?
2. What is Hamlet doing?
3. Why does Guildenstern say they do not need to worry about what to say to the King?
4. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
5. When Hamlet says he will be with them shortly, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do?
This section contains 658 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)