|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves Guildenstern from being trapped by Rosencrantz's betrayal?
(a) The guard enters saying that hamlet got away.
(b) Hamlet is escorted in at that moment and he and his escort follow Claudius off stage.
(c) A scream is hear coming from inside the palace.
(d) Hamlet runs across the stage followed by an angry troupe.
2. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(b) Do you think death awaits us in England?
(c) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(d) Do you think the ship will sink?
3. What do they bicker about?
(a) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(b) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(c) What they are expected to do next.
(d) Who has the best money bag.
4. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
(b) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
(c) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
(d) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
5. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) The guessing game with coins
(b) Twenty questions
(c) The coin spinning game
(d) A game of chess
6. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He cleans his nails.
(b) He cuts the Player's throat.
(c) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
(d) He uses it to slice bread.
7. What is strange about where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are throughout the entire play?
(a) They are always in the same place and the action and characters come to them.
(b) They are either on the road or in the castle.
(c) They think they are in England.
(d) They move quickly from place to place.
8. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
(a) Out, out, damned spot.
(b) Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well.
(c) S'blood, there is something in this more than natural, if philosophy could find it out.
(d) The forest is coming to Elsinore.
9. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(b) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(c) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
(d) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
10. What is Hamlet doing?
(a) Carrying a bloody daggar
(b) Reading a book
(c) Dragging the body of Polonius
(d) Looking for Ophelia
11. Who do the two dead spies on stage turn out to be?
(a) Claudius and Gertrude
(b) Hamlet and Ophelia
(c) Guildenstern and Rosencrantz
(d) Alfred and the Player
12. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
(a) Rosencrantz thinks their clothes are not good enough.
(b) Rosencrantz is nervous about what they will say.
(c) Roesncrantz fears they might be in trouble.
(d) Rosencrantz does not know how to speak English.
13. Why does Rosencrantz think he can leave?
(a) He says Hamlet doesn't want them there.
(b) He says no one will miss them.
(c) He says they have permission to go.
(d) He says they've been there long enough.
14. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) Who told them he was dead
(b) Why did Hamlet kill him
(c) Where his body is
(d) What they know about him
15. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are happy.
(b) They are confused.
(c) They think they know the answer.
(d) They are satisfied.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
2. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
3. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
4. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
5. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks where he is going?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)