|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) A nunnery
(c) To Rosencrantz
(d) To bed
2. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
(a) As late afternoon
(b) As sunrise
(c) As twinkling candles
(d) As moonlight
3. What do they bicker about?
(a) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(b) What they are expected to do next.
(c) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(d) Who has the best money bag.
4. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) On a boat
(b) In a dungeon
(c) In a stagecoach
(d) On the way home
5. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
(b) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
(c) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(d) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
6. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
(a) Helpless and powerless to influence events around them
(b) Effectual in carrying out Claudius's orders
(c) Sure of themselves and their whereabouts
(d) Very knowledgable about Shakespeare
7. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The audience looks asleep.
(b) The direction he is looking must be east.
(c) That must be the raod home.
(d) The sun is sinking in the west.
8. What mime does Rosencrantz perform during the discussion of death?
(a) Lying down in a coffin.
(b) Marching in a funeral procession.
(c) Placing flowers on a grave.
(d) Banging on a coffin lid.
9. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Confused about the coin game
(b) Confused about who they are
(c) Confused about what Hamlet said
(d) Confused about where they are
10. What happens when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make a snare for Hamlet out of their belts?
(a) The belts are not long enough.
(b) Rosencrantz's pants fall down around his ankles.
(c) Hamlet sees them and runs away.
(d) Guildenstern's belt breaks.
11. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
(a) The forest is coming to Elsinore.
(b) Out, out, damned spot.
(c) S'blood, there is something in this more than natural, if philosophy could find it out.
(d) Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well.
12. What is Hamlet doing?
(a) Looking for Ophelia
(b) Carrying a bloody daggar
(c) Reading a book
(d) Dragging the body of Polonius
13. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
(a) Tossing the coin back and forth between them
(b) Balancing the coin on their noses
(c) Guessing which hand the coin is in
(d) Seeing if they can make the coin stand on edge
14. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) What they know about him
(b) Where his body is
(c) Why did Hamlet kill him
(d) Who told them he was dead
15. What is the one bit of knowledge that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are sure of?
(a) That Hamlet is bing sent to England
(b) That Gertrude is a boy named Alfred
(c) That they were called to deliver a message
(d) That they are facing north
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
2. Who do the two dead spies on stage turn out to be?
3. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
4. When they open the letter, what is in it?
5. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)