|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet says he will be with them shortly, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do?
(a) Say they will stay by his side
(b) Laugh because they don't believe him
(c) Run off
(d) Wait for him
2. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Confused about who they are
(b) Confused about what Hamlet said
(c) Confused about the coin game
(d) Confused about where they are
3. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks where he is going?
(a) The Player responds that he is going to find Hamlet.
(b) The Player tells him he is going to wash costumes.
(c) The Player answers that he is going to Denmark.
(d) The Player retorts that he can come and go as he pleases.
4. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
(a) That they are once again inept or helpless
(b) That Rosencrantz wears his pants too large
(c) That they are clever but unlucky
(d) That Guldenstern is wearing two belts
5. What happens when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make a snare for Hamlet out of their belts?
(a) The belts are not long enough.
(b) Guildenstern's belt breaks.
(c) Hamlet sees them and runs away.
(d) Rosencrantz's pants fall down around his ankles.
6. What is it that Guildenstern still does not know?
(a) What the weather is like
(b) Why people come in and out
(c) Which way is east
(d) Where they are
7. What does the Player try to explain to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) What his relationship to Hamlet is
(b) How important the audience is to the performance
(c) How he happens to be at court
(d) Why he lied about doing The Murder of Gonzago
8. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
(b) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
(c) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
(d) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
9. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(b) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
(c) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
(d) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
10. Why does Guildenstern say they do not need to worry about what to say to the King?
(a) The King will only want to talk to Hamlet.
(b) They have a letter from Claudius to the English King.
(c) They always think of something.
(d) The soldier will speak for them.
11. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) To Rosencrantz
(b) A nunnery
(d) To bed
12. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death awaits us in England?
(b) Do you think the ship will sink?
(c) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(d) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
13. Who are in the barrels?
(a) Hamlet's bodyguards
(b) Ophelia and Gertrude
(c) Stowaways from Denmark
(d) The Player, the troupe, and the musicians
14. How many corpses does the Player say the drama will have at the end?
(a) A hundred
15. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
(a) That he has escaped to Norway.
(b) That he is being taken to England by a soldier.
(c) That he has gone into hiding.
(d) That he is being interrogated by the King.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
2. What question does Guildenstern put to the Player?
3. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
4. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
5. What game do they play to occupy the time?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)