|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What saves Guildenstern from being trapped by Rosencrantz's betrayal?
(a) A scream is hear coming from inside the palace.
(b) Hamlet is escorted in at that moment and he and his escort follow Claudius off stage.
(c) Hamlet runs across the stage followed by an angry troupe.
(d) The guard enters saying that hamlet got away.
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he keeps changing the subject.
(c) That he is not acting like himself.
(d) That he won't talk to them.
3. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
(b) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(c) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
(d) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
4. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
(a) Seeing if they can make the coin stand on edge
(b) Tossing the coin back and forth between them
(c) Guessing which hand the coin is in
(d) Balancing the coin on their noses
5. What mime does Rosencrantz perform during the discussion of death?
(a) Placing flowers on a grave.
(b) Marching in a funeral procession.
(c) Lying down in a coffin.
(d) Banging on a coffin lid.
6. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern threaten to do to the Player?
(a) Expose him for a fraud
(b) Have him arrested
(c) Cut out his tongue
(d) Dance on his grave
7. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) Julius Caesar
(b) The Tempest
(c) A Midsummer Night's Dream
(d) The Murder of Gonzago
8. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
(a) As sunrise
(b) As moonlight
(c) As late afternoon
(d) As twinkling candles
9. When they open the letter, what is in it?
(a) Hamlet is to be beheaded.
(b) Hamlet is exiled to England.
(c) Hamlet will be sent on to the colonies.
(d) Hamlet is to marry the King's daugher.
10. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks where he is going?
(a) The Player answers that he is going to Denmark.
(b) The Player responds that he is going to find Hamlet.
(c) The Player retorts that he can come and go as he pleases.
(d) The Player tells him he is going to wash costumes.
11. What happens to the troupe still dressed in their costumes?
(a) They walk off the stage.
(b) They join the audience.
(c) They drag Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to center stage.
(d) They all die in different ways.
12. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
(a) It is a maid.
(b) It is Hamlet in a dress.
(c) It is Ophelia.
(d) It is the boy, Alfred.
13. What does the Player try to explain to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) How important the audience is to the performance
(b) What his relationship to Hamlet is
(c) How he happens to be at court
(d) Why he lied about doing The Murder of Gonzago
14. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) That they never argue bacause they both see things the same way
(b) That they are the butt of a complicated joke
(c) That it clear they never quite know where they are or what is going on
(d) That they are too educated to understand simple minded people
15. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
(a) Rosencrantz thinks their clothes are not good enough.
(b) Rosencrantz is nervous about what they will say.
(c) Roesncrantz fears they might be in trouble.
(d) Rosencrantz does not know how to speak English.
Short Answer Questions
1. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
2. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
3. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
4. Why is the troupe in disfavor from the King?
5. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)