|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet says he will be with them shortly, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do?
(a) Say they will stay by his side
(b) Wait for him
(c) Laugh because they don't believe him
(d) Run off
2. What mime does Rosencrantz perform during the discussion of death?
(a) Placing flowers on a grave.
(b) Banging on a coffin lid.
(c) Lying down in a coffin.
(d) Marching in a funeral procession.
3. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(b) If he is afraid to face death
(c) If he thinks he will never die
(d) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
4. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) That they are the butt of a complicated joke
(b) That they are too educated to understand simple minded people
(c) That it clear they never quite know where they are or what is going on
(d) That they never argue bacause they both see things the same way
5. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he is not acting like himself.
(c) That he won't talk to them.
(d) That he keeps changing the subject.
6. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
(a) By saying they are trying to kill him
(b) By saying they think he is mad
(c) With nonsense lines about direction, the wind, and hawks and handsaws
(d) With a line about being and not being which Guildenstern does not understand
7. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
(a) Play another game of coins
(b) Leave for home
(c) Call for Claudius
(d) Hit Hamlet over the head
8. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
(b) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
(c) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
(d) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
9. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
(b) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(c) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(d) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
10. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) Twenty questions
(b) The guessing game with coins
(c) The coin spinning game
(d) A game of chess
11. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
(a) They can still talk, think, and feel.
(b) They are chained to a wall.
(c) They have escaped from the castle.
(d) They are in a moving carriage.
12. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Confused about who they are
(b) Confused about what Hamlet said
(c) Confused about where they are
(d) Confused about the coin game
13. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) Julius Caesar
(b) The Tempest
(c) The Murder of Gonzago
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream
14. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
(a) Seeing if they can make the coin stand on edge
(b) Guessing which hand the coin is in
(c) Balancing the coin on their noses
(d) Tossing the coin back and forth between them
15. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
(a) They are identical to his and Guildenstern's
(b) They have been stolen from the palace
(c) They are too shabby to wear to court
(d) They are garments taken from his closet
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Rosencrantz kicks one of the large barrels?
2. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
3. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
4. Beside the two British Ambassadors, what characters from Shakespeare are on stage at the end of the play?
5. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
This section contains 722 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)