|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
(a) Death on a stage
(b) Death of an actor
(c) Their own death
(d) Death at sea
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he keeps changing the subject.
(b) That he won't talk to them.
(c) That he may be an imposter.
(d) That he is not acting like himself.
3. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
(a) That he has escaped to Norway.
(b) That he is being taken to England by a soldier.
(c) That he has gone into hiding.
(d) That he is being interrogated by the King.
4. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
(a) He complains that he cannot remember their names.
(b) He complains that he never gets to lie down and rest.
(c) He complains that he never has time to talk to anyone.
(d) He complains that people are always coming and going.
5. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
(a) As my dearest friend
(b) As Guildenstern
(c) As Polonius
(d) As Ophelia
6. What does Guildenstern say about death?
(a) He says that even though he is young, he is ready for death.
(b) He says that anyone can die but it takes a strong will to live.
(c) He says that death is just a triffle and not worth worring about.
(d) Guildenstern says that death, for them, is not romantic, not a game soon over.
7. What happens after the Player dies?
(a) They throw him overboard.
(b) Alfred dances around his body.
(c) Everyone shouts for joy.
(d) He gets up and brushes himself off.
8. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
(a) Roesncrantz fears they might be in trouble.
(b) Rosencrantz thinks their clothes are not good enough.
(c) Rosencrantz does not know how to speak English.
(d) Rosencrantz is nervous about what they will say.
9. How many corpses does the Player say the drama will have at the end?
(b) A hundred
10. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
(a) Jump overboard
(b) Beg for mercy
(c) Leap into the barrels
(d) Call for the soldier and the captain
11. Who do the two dead spies on stage turn out to be?
(a) Hamlet and Ophelia
(b) Claudius and Gertrude
(c) Guildenstern and Rosencrantz
(d) Alfred and the Player
12. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
(a) In the chapel
(b) With Ophelia
(c) In the river
(d) With the King
13. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
14. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) The guessing game with coins
(b) The coin spinning game
(c) Twenty questions
(d) A game of chess
15. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(b) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
(c) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
(d) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
2. Why does Guildenstern say they do not need to worry about what to say to the King?
3. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
4. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
5. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
This section contains 666 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)