|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
2. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
(a) Leave for home
(b) Play another game of coins
(c) Hit Hamlet over the head
(d) Call for Claudius
3. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
(a) The soldier
(b) The ship's captain
(c) The troupe
4. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
(a) Seeing if they can make the coin stand on edge
(b) Balancing the coin on their noses
(c) Guessing which hand the coin is in
(d) Tossing the coin back and forth between them
5. Talking about acting on assumptions, what does the Player ask the two men?
(a) He asks them why they didn't know that.
(b) He asks them if they understand the word, assume.
(c) He asks them if they are ready to assume.
(d) He asks them what it is that they assume.
6. What mime does Rosencrantz perform during the discussion of death?
(a) Banging on a coffin lid.
(b) Lying down in a coffin.
(c) Placing flowers on a grave.
(d) Marching in a funeral procession.
7. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(b) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
(c) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(d) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
8. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
(a) S'blood, there is something in this more than natural, if philosophy could find it out.
(b) Out, out, damned spot.
(c) Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well.
(d) The forest is coming to Elsinore.
9. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
(a) As twinkling candles
(b) As sunrise
(c) As moonlight
(d) As late afternoon
10. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
(a) He does not recognize Claudius and Gertrude.
(b) He believes Ophelia is a nun.
(c) He asks nonsense questions and accepts nonsense answers.
(d) He is always talking to himself and drags the body of Polonius around.
11. Why is the troupe in disfavor from the King?
(a) Their costumes were shabby.
(b) They insulted Gertrude.
(c) He did not like their play.
(d) They got drunk at court.
12. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
13. To lighten the discussion, what does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern?
(a) The burial practices of elephants
(b) How coffins were invented
(c) Silly and meaningless jokes about life and death
(d) The story of a man buried alive
14. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
(a) That the scene is in a jail
(b) That the scene is in a carriage.
(c) That a battle is going on
(d) That the scene is on a ship
15. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
(a) They are identical to his and Guildenstern's
(b) They are too shabby to wear to court
(c) They are garments taken from his closet
(d) They have been stolen from the palace
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
2. What is Guildenstern's reply when Rosencrantz says they have nothing to do?
3. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
4. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
5. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)