|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
(a) He complains that he cannot remember their names.
(b) He complains that he never gets to lie down and rest.
(c) He complains that people are always coming and going.
(d) He complains that he never has time to talk to anyone.
2. Why does Rosencrantz have a coin in both hands?
(a) He likes the feel of coins.
(b) He wants Guildenstern to win and be happy.
(c) He wants to get rid of all his coins.
(d) He forgot he already had a coin in his hand.
3. What happens to the troupe still dressed in their costumes?
(a) They join the audience.
(b) They walk off the stage.
(c) They drag Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to center stage.
(d) They all die in different ways.
4. Why is the troupe in disfavor from the King?
(a) Their costumes were shabby.
(b) They insulted Gertrude.
(c) He did not like their play.
(d) They got drunk at court.
5. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) In a stagecoach
(b) On the way home
(c) On a boat
(d) In a dungeon
6. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks where he is going?
(a) The Player retorts that he can come and go as he pleases.
(b) The Player answers that he is going to Denmark.
(c) The Player responds that he is going to find Hamlet.
(d) The Player tells him he is going to wash costumes.
7. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
(a) Play another game of coins
(b) Leave for home
(c) Hit Hamlet over the head
(d) Call for Claudius
8. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
(a) The barrels break open and spills everyone onot the deck.
(b) The barrels roll over and into the audience.
(c) The pirates get into the barrels and the troupe nails them inside.
(d) People pop out of different barrels than the ones they entered.
9. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
(b) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(c) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(d) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
10. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
(a) That he loves to play word games.
(b) That he is moody and melancholy.
(c) That he is a practical joker.
(d) That there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
11. What makes Hamlet bow?
(a) Tying his shoelace
(b) Thinking of Ophelia
(c) Seeing Claudius approaching
(d) Seeing the Player approach
12. Who are in the barrels?
(a) The Player, the troupe, and the musicians
(b) Hamlet's bodyguards
(c) Ophelia and Gertrude
(d) Stowaways from Denmark
13. What is Guildenstern's reply when Rosencrantz says they have nothing to do?
(a) Guildenstern suggests they write letters.
(b) Guildenstern says someone will come tell them what to do.
(c) Guildenstern reminds him that they are taking Hamlet to England.
(d) Guildenstern says they can put on a play.
14. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) They wrote it themselves.
(b) They found it in a book.
(c) They stole it from the Italians.
(d) Hamlet gave them the script.
15. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
(a) As moonlight
(b) As late afternoon
(c) As twinkling candles
(d) As sunrise
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
2. What is Hamlet doing?
3. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
4. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
5. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)