|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) Twenty questions
(b) The coin spinning game
(c) The guessing game with coins
(d) A game of chess
2. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
(a) Helpless and powerless to influence events around them
(b) Effectual in carrying out Claudius's orders
(c) Very knowledgable about Shakespeare
(d) Sure of themselves and their whereabouts
3. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he won't talk to them.
(b) That he is not acting like himself.
(c) That he keeps changing the subject.
(d) That he may be an imposter.
4. What does Guildenstern say about death?
(a) He says that death is just a triffle and not worth worring about.
(b) He says that anyone can die but it takes a strong will to live.
(c) He says that even though he is young, he is ready for death.
(d) Guildenstern says that death, for them, is not romantic, not a game soon over.
5. Who are in the barrels?
(a) Ophelia and Gertrude
(b) Stowaways from Denmark
(c) Hamlet's bodyguards
(d) The Player, the troupe, and the musicians
6. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
(a) He says that "Everything has been crazy all day."
(b) Rosencrantz remarks that "They will have us hanging about till we're dead."
(c) He says that "They will never be allowed to go home at this rate."
(d) He says that "I think we will have them go with Hamlet."
7. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
(a) That he does not remember coming inside.
(b) That Claudius is not angry anymore.
(c) That Hamlet has given himself up.
(d) That they are now done with them.
8. Beside the two British Ambassadors, what characters from Shakespeare are on stage at the end of the play?
(a) Othello and Iago
(b) Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony
(c) Horatio and Fortinbras
(d) Ophelia and Gertrude
9. How does Stoppard dramatize the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Having them drink poison and fall to the deck.
(b) Having them climb back into the barrels.
(c) Having them walk out of the single spotlight on them.
(d) Having them hang from a mast.
10. When they open the letter, what is in it?
(a) Hamlet is exiled to England.
(b) Hamlet is to marry the King's daugher.
(c) Hamlet is to be beheaded.
(d) Hamlet will be sent on to the colonies.
11. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) They found it in a book.
(b) They stole it from the Italians.
(c) Hamlet gave them the script.
(d) They wrote it themselves.
12. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
(a) The ship's captain
(c) The soldier
(d) The troupe
13. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
(a) It is the boy, Alfred.
(b) It is Hamlet in a dress.
(c) It is Ophelia.
(d) It is a maid.
14. What happens to the troupe still dressed in their costumes?
(a) They walk off the stage.
(b) They join the audience.
(c) They all die in different ways.
(d) They drag Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to center stage.
15. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(b) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(c) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
(d) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
Short Answer Questions
1. What saves Guildenstern from being trapped by Rosencrantz's betrayal?
2. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
3. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
4. Who do the two dead spies on stage turn out to be?
5. Who are the last to die?
This section contains 728 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)