|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
(a) With nonsense lines about direction, the wind, and hawks and handsaws
(b) By saying they think he is mad
(c) By saying they are trying to kill him
(d) With a line about being and not being which Guildenstern does not understand
2. Who are the last to die?
(a) The two remaining tragedians are dressed as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and are stabbed.
(b) Hamlet and Ophelia drink poison and die in each other's arms.
(c) The two captured pirates are thrown overboard.
(d) Hamlet and the Player swordfight and kill each other.
3. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks he will never die
(b) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(c) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(d) If he is afraid to face death
4. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern threaten to do to the Player?
(a) Have him arrested
(b) Dance on his grave
(c) Cut out his tongue
(d) Expose him for a fraud
5. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) That they are too educated to understand simple minded people
(b) That it clear they never quite know where they are or what is going on
(c) That they never argue bacause they both see things the same way
(d) That they are the butt of a complicated joke
6. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
(a) They can still talk, think, and feel.
(b) They are in a moving carriage.
(c) They are chained to a wall.
(d) They have escaped from the castle.
7. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
(a) The barrels break open and spills everyone onot the deck.
(b) The barrels roll over and into the audience.
(c) The pirates get into the barrels and the troupe nails them inside.
(d) People pop out of different barrels than the ones they entered.
8. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
(a) So they get home before dark
(b) So they know where they are
(c) So they can be free
(d) So they can tell their friends about the adventure
9. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
10. What do they bicker about?
(a) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(b) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(c) What they are expected to do next.
(d) Who has the best money bag.
11. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
(a) As moonlight
(b) As late afternoon
(c) As sunrise
(d) As twinkling candles
12. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
13. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
(b) He uses it to slice bread.
(c) He cuts the Player's throat.
(d) He cleans his nails.
14. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
(a) That he is with the Queen.
(b) That he is under guard.
(c) That he went to England.
(d) That he is in the library.
15. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) The guessing game with coins
(b) The coin spinning game
(c) A game of chess
(d) Twenty questions
Short Answer Questions
1. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
2. What does the Player try to explain to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
4. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
5. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
This section contains 740 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)