|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is strange about where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are throughout the entire play?
(a) They are either on the road or in the castle.
(b) They move quickly from place to place.
(c) They think they are in England.
(d) They are always in the same place and the action and characters come to them.
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he keeps changing the subject.
(c) That he is not acting like himself.
(d) That he won't talk to them.
3. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
(b) The ship's captain
(c) The soldier
(d) The troupe
4. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
(c) The Player
5. Who are the last to die?
(a) Hamlet and Ophelia drink poison and die in each other's arms.
(b) Hamlet and the Player swordfight and kill each other.
(c) The two captured pirates are thrown overboard.
(d) The two remaining tragedians are dressed as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and are stabbed.
6. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
(a) Very knowledgable about Shakespeare
(b) Helpless and powerless to influence events around them
(c) Sure of themselves and their whereabouts
(d) Effectual in carrying out Claudius's orders
7. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(b) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(c) If he thinks he will never die
(d) If he is afraid to face death
8. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
(a) They are identical to his and Guildenstern's
(b) They are garments taken from his closet
(c) They have been stolen from the palace
(d) They are too shabby to wear to court
9. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
(a) Orders Guildenstern to go get him
(b) Looks around to see if he came back
(c) Starts shouting Hamlet's name
(d) Runs off stage
10. How does Hamlet slip away from Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) When they turn to see Claudius, he slips away quietly.
(b) When they bow low, he walks away and they do not see him.
(c) When the troupe comes between them, Hamlet runs.
(d) When the lights go out, Hamlet disappears.
11. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The sun is sinking in the west.
(b) The audience looks asleep.
(c) That must be the raod home.
(d) The direction he is looking must be east.
12. Why does Rosencrantz have a coin in both hands?
(a) He likes the feel of coins.
(b) He forgot he already had a coin in his hand.
(c) He wants to get rid of all his coins.
(d) He wants Guildenstern to win and be happy.
13. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) Who told them he was dead
(b) Why did Hamlet kill him
(c) Where his body is
(d) What they know about him
14. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
(a) That there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
(b) That he is a practical joker.
(c) That he is moody and melancholy.
(d) That he loves to play word games.
15. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
Short Answer Questions
1. What do they bicker about?
2. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
3. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
4. Finally what does Rosencrantz decide to do?
5. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
This section contains 685 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)