|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
2. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
(a) That Claudius is not angry anymore.
(b) That he does not remember coming inside.
(c) That Hamlet has given himself up.
(d) That they are now done with them.
3. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) On a boat
(b) On the way home
(c) In a dungeon
(d) In a stagecoach
4. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The audience looks asleep.
(b) That must be the raod home.
(c) The direction he is looking must be east.
(d) The sun is sinking in the west.
5. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
(a) That he is in the library.
(b) That he went to England.
(c) That he is under guard.
(d) That he is with the Queen.
6. What decision do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern find impossible to make?
(a) Go looking for Hamlet
(b) Leave in opposite directions from each other
(c) Whether to go or stay
(d) Whether to believe anyone who speaks to them
7. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are satisfied.
(c) They think they know the answer.
(d) They are happy.
8. What do they bicker about?
(a) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(b) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(c) What they are expected to do next.
(d) Who has the best money bag.
9. What two different meanings do they seem to apply to the word madness?
(a) Either fear or excitement
(b) Either jealousy or revenge
(c) Either insanity or anger
(d) Either hate or love
10. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
(a) That the scene is in a jail
(b) That the scene is on a ship
(c) That a battle is going on
(d) That the scene is in a carriage.
11. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he won't talk to them.
(c) That he is not acting like himself.
(d) That he keeps changing the subject.
12. What happens after the Player dies?
(a) They throw him overboard.
(b) Alfred dances around his body.
(c) He gets up and brushes himself off.
(d) Everyone shouts for joy.
13. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) That they are the butt of a complicated joke
(b) That they never argue bacause they both see things the same way
(c) That it clear they never quite know where they are or what is going on
(d) That they are too educated to understand simple minded people
14. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he is afraid to face death
(b) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
(c) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(d) If he thinks he will never die
15. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(b) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
(c) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(d) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
Short Answer Questions
1. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
2. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
3. Who are the last to die?
4. What is the one bit of knowledge that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are sure of?
5. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
This section contains 676 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)