|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
2. During rehearsal, what is it that the Player says the troupe does really well?
(a) Action scenes
(b) Death scenes
(c) Bawdy scenes
(d) Love scenes
3. What is it that Guildenstern still does not know?
(a) Why people come in and out
(b) Which way is east
(c) What the weather is like
(d) Where they are
4. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
(a) In the river
(b) With Ophelia
(c) With the King
(d) In the chapel
5. Talking about acting on assumptions, what does the Player ask the two men?
(a) He asks them what it is that they assume.
(b) He asks them if they are ready to assume.
(c) He asks them if they understand the word, assume.
(d) He asks them why they didn't know that.
6. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
(b) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
(c) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(d) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
7. What two different meanings do they seem to apply to the word madness?
(a) Either hate or love
(b) Either insanity or anger
(c) Either jealousy or revenge
(d) Either fear or excitement
8. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
(a) That he is in the library.
(b) That he went to England.
(c) That he is with the Queen.
(d) That he is under guard.
9. What question does Guildenstern put to the Player?
(a) He asks which way is north.
(b) He asks where they can find Hamlet.
(c) He asks the Player what he and Rosencrantz are supposed to do.
(d) He asks what he and Rosencrantz need to know.
10. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
(b) He cuts the Player's throat.
(c) He cleans his nails.
(d) He uses it to slice bread.
11. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
(b) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
(c) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(d) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
12. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) A game of chess
(b) Twenty questions
(c) The guessing game with coins
(d) The coin spinning game
13. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
(a) They can still talk, think, and feel.
(b) They are chained to a wall.
(c) They have escaped from the castle.
(d) They are in a moving carriage.
14. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
(a) That the scene is in a carriage.
(b) That a battle is going on
(c) That the scene is in a jail
(d) That the scene is on a ship
15. Who do the two dead spies on stage turn out to be?
(a) Claudius and Gertrude
(b) Alfred and the Player
(c) Guildenstern and Rosencrantz
(d) Hamlet and Ophelia
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
2. To shouts of "The King rises...Give o'er the play!" and cries for Lights, lights, lights!" how do the lights come up?
3. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
4. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
5. What do they bicker about?
This section contains 678 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)