|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He cuts the Player's throat.
(b) He uses it to slice bread.
(c) He cleans his nails.
(d) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
2. Who are in the barrels?
(a) The Player, the troupe, and the musicians
(b) Hamlet's bodyguards
(c) Stowaways from Denmark
(d) Ophelia and Gertrude
3. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
(a) That they are clever but unlucky
(b) That Guldenstern is wearing two belts
(c) That they are once again inept or helpless
(d) That Rosencrantz wears his pants too large
4. What happens when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make a snare for Hamlet out of their belts?
(a) Guildenstern's belt breaks.
(b) The belts are not long enough.
(c) Rosencrantz's pants fall down around his ankles.
(d) Hamlet sees them and runs away.
5. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
6. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) Hamlet gave them the script.
(b) They found it in a book.
(c) They wrote it themselves.
(d) They stole it from the Italians.
7. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The direction he is looking must be east.
(b) That must be the raod home.
(c) The audience looks asleep.
(d) The sun is sinking in the west.
8. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he thinks he will never die
(b) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(c) If he is afraid to face death
(d) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
9. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
(a) It is the boy, Alfred.
(b) It is a maid.
(c) It is Hamlet in a dress.
(d) It is Ophelia.
10. Why does Rosencrantz think he can leave?
(a) He says they've been there long enough.
(b) He says they have permission to go.
(c) He says no one will miss them.
(d) He says Hamlet doesn't want them there.
11. What does the Player try to explain to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Why he lied about doing The Murder of Gonzago
(b) How he happens to be at court
(c) How important the audience is to the performance
(d) What his relationship to Hamlet is
12. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
(a) With Ophelia
(b) In the chapel
(c) With the King
(d) In the river
13. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
(a) Both of Rosencrantz's hands are empty
(b) Guildenstern wins back all his coins
(c) They have invented a new game
(d) The coin fall on tails every time
14. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
(b) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(c) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(d) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
15. What two different meanings do they seem to apply to the word madness?
(a) Either hate or love
(b) Either fear or excitement
(c) Either insanity or anger
(d) Either jealousy or revenge
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is the troupe in disfavor from the King?
2. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
3. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
4. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
5. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)