|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what kind of death does the Player say people only believe?
(a) Death at sea
(b) Death on a stage
(c) Their own death
(d) Death of an actor
2. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
(a) Tossing the coin back and forth between them
(b) Guessing which hand the coin is in
(c) Balancing the coin on their noses
(d) Seeing if they can make the coin stand on edge
3. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
(a) Jump overboard
(b) Leap into the barrels
(c) Beg for mercy
(d) Call for the soldier and the captain
4. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The sun is sinking in the west.
(b) The audience looks asleep.
(c) The direction he is looking must be east.
(d) That must be the raod home.
5. What makes Hamlet bow?
(a) Seeing Claudius approaching
(b) Thinking of Ophelia
(c) Seeing the Player approach
(d) Tying his shoelace
6. How many corpses does the Player say the drama will have at the end?
(a) A hundred
7. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) That the show is about to start
(b) That Gertrude is looking for them
(c) That Ophelia has gone to a nunnery
(d) That Hamlet has killed Polonius
8. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) To bed
(b) A nunnery
(c) To Rosencrantz
9. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
(b) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(c) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(d) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
10. When Hamlet says he will be with them shortly, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do?
(a) Laugh because they don't believe him
(b) Run off
(c) Wait for him
(d) Say they will stay by his side
11. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
(a) Rosencrantz thinks their clothes are not good enough.
(b) Rosencrantz does not know how to speak English.
(c) Rosencrantz is nervous about what they will say.
(d) Roesncrantz fears they might be in trouble.
12. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
(a) Runs off stage
(b) Looks around to see if he came back
(c) Starts shouting Hamlet's name
(d) Orders Guildenstern to go get him
13. What does Guildenstern say about death?
(a) He says that anyone can die but it takes a strong will to live.
(b) He says that death is just a triffle and not worth worring about.
(c) Guildenstern says that death, for them, is not romantic, not a game soon over.
(d) He says that even though he is young, he is ready for death.
14. What does the Player try to explain to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) How important the audience is to the performance
(b) Why he lied about doing The Murder of Gonzago
(c) How he happens to be at court
(d) What his relationship to Hamlet is
15. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) On the way home
(b) On a boat
(c) In a stagecoach
(d) In a dungeon
Short Answer Questions
1. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
2. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
3. When Rosencrantz and Guildenstern talk about the weather, what do they decide?
4. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
5. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
This section contains 690 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)