|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
(a) He says he will never leave home again.
(b) He asks why they would ever want to return.
(c) He says thay cannot return because they do not know where they are.
(d) He says they will return when the weather is warmer.
2. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
(a) That Rosencrantz wears his pants too large
(b) That they are clever but unlucky
(c) That Guldenstern is wearing two belts
(d) That they are once again inept or helpless
3. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
(a) That there doesn't seem to be anything wrong with him.
(b) That he is a practical joker.
(c) That he loves to play word games.
(d) That he is moody and melancholy.
4. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) The Murder of Gonzago
(b) The Tempest
(c) Julius Caesar
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream
5. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
(a) The pirates get into the barrels and the troupe nails them inside.
(b) The barrels roll over and into the audience.
(c) The barrels break open and spills everyone onot the deck.
(d) People pop out of different barrels than the ones they entered.
6. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
(a) It is the boy, Alfred.
(b) It is a maid.
(c) It is Ophelia.
(d) It is Hamlet in a dress.
7. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are satisfied.
(c) They think they know the answer.
(d) They are happy.
8. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks where he is going?
(a) The Player tells him he is going to wash costumes.
(b) The Player responds that he is going to find Hamlet.
(c) The Player answers that he is going to Denmark.
(d) The Player retorts that he can come and go as he pleases.
9. What do they bicker about?
(a) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(b) Who has the best money bag.
(c) What they are expected to do next.
(d) Who can spin a coin the longest.
10. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
(a) Rosencrantz does not know how to speak English.
(b) Rosencrantz is nervous about what they will say.
(c) Rosencrantz thinks their clothes are not good enough.
(d) Roesncrantz fears they might be in trouble.
11. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) Hamlet gave them the script.
(b) They stole it from the Italians.
(c) They wrote it themselves.
(d) They found it in a book.
12. When Rosencrantz and Guildenstern talk about the weather, what do they decide?
(a) That it's Spring.
(b) That it's unusually cold for this time of year.
(c) That it's warm for Winter.
(d) That it's Autumn.
13. What happens to the troupe still dressed in their costumes?
(a) They drag Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to center stage.
(b) They join the audience.
(c) They walk off the stage.
(d) They all die in different ways.
14. Why does Rosencrantz think he can leave?
(a) He says no one will miss them.
(b) He says Hamlet doesn't want them there.
(c) He says they have permission to go.
(d) He says they've been there long enough.
15. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(b) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(c) Do you think death awaits us in England?
(d) Do you think the ship will sink?
Short Answer Questions
1. In their conversation, what does the audience gather about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
3. What game do they play to occupy the time?
4. What happens when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make a snare for Hamlet out of their belts?
5. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
This section contains 730 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)