|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(b) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(c) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
(d) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
2. What indicates that Hamlet is insane?
(a) He asks nonsense questions and accepts nonsense answers.
(b) He believes Ophelia is a nun.
(c) He does not recognize Claudius and Gertrude.
(d) He is always talking to himself and drags the body of Polonius around.
3. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
(a) He says that "Everything has been crazy all day."
(b) He says that "They will never be allowed to go home at this rate."
(c) He says that "I think we will have them go with Hamlet."
(d) Rosencrantz remarks that "They will have us hanging about till we're dead."
4. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(b) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
(c) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
(d) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
5. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) The Murder of Gonzago
(b) A Midsummer Night's Dream
(c) Julius Caesar
(d) The Tempest
6. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) What they know about him
(b) Where his body is
(c) Who told them he was dead
(d) Why did Hamlet kill him
7. When Rosencrantz and Guildenstern talk about the weather, what do they decide?
(a) That it's unusually cold for this time of year.
(b) That it's warm for Winter.
(c) That it's Spring.
(d) That it's Autumn.
8. What do they bicker about?
(a) How much the King gave each of them for the journey.
(b) Who can spin a coin the longest.
(c) Who has the best money bag.
(d) What they are expected to do next.
9. What is Hamlet doing?
(a) Dragging the body of Polonius
(b) Looking for Ophelia
(c) Reading a book
(d) Carrying a bloody daggar
10. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
(a) Leap into the barrels
(b) Jump overboard
(c) Beg for mercy
(d) Call for the soldier and the captain
11. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
(a) The soldier
(b) The ship's captain
(c) The troupe
12. What is Guildenstern's reply when Rosencrantz says they have nothing to do?
(a) Guildenstern reminds him that they are taking Hamlet to England.
(b) Guildenstern says they can put on a play.
(c) Guildenstern suggests they write letters.
(d) Guildenstern says someone will come tell them what to do.
13. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
(b) He uses it to slice bread.
(c) He cuts the Player's throat.
(d) He cleans his nails.
14. What props are on the stage as the lights finally come up on Act III?
(a) Three masts and a coiled rope
(b) Three unbrellas and a large box
(c) Three coffins and a deck chair
(d) Three large casks and an umbrella
15. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) To bed
(c) A nunnery
(d) To Rosencrantz
Short Answer Questions
1. How many corpses does the Player say the drama will have at the end?
2. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
3. What is it that Guildenstern still does not know?
4. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
5. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)