|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Hamlet respond when Guildenstern asks how Hamlet's mother and Uncle are deceived?
(a) By saying they think he is mad
(b) With a line about being and not being which Guildenstern does not understand
(c) With nonsense lines about direction, the wind, and hawks and handsaws
(d) By saying they are trying to kill him
2. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
3. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(b) To Rosencrantz
(c) A nunnery
(d) To bed
4. How does Stoppard dramatize the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Having them drink poison and fall to the deck.
(b) Having them climb back into the barrels.
(c) Having them walk out of the single spotlight on them.
(d) Having them hang from a mast.
5. When Hamlet, Polonius, and Ophelia exit, where are they apparently going?
6. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
(a) He says he will never leave home again.
(b) He asks why they would ever want to return.
(c) He says they will return when the weather is warmer.
(d) He says thay cannot return because they do not know where they are.
7. Still in the dark, what do the two realize?
(a) They are in a moving carriage.
(b) They can still talk, think, and feel.
(c) They are chained to a wall.
(d) They have escaped from the castle.
8. What decision do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern find impossible to make?
(a) Go looking for Hamlet
(b) Whether to go or stay
(c) Leave in opposite directions from each other
(d) Whether to believe anyone who speaks to them
9. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
(b) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
(c) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(d) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
10. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) They wrote it themselves.
(b) Hamlet gave them the script.
(c) They stole it from the Italians.
(d) They found it in a book.
11. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
(a) Guildenstern wins back all his coins
(b) Both of Rosencrantz's hands are empty
(c) The coin fall on tails every time
(d) They have invented a new game
12. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
(c) The Player
13. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
(a) With Ophelia
(b) In the river
(c) With the King
(d) In the chapel
14. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern threaten to do to the Player?
(a) Cut out his tongue
(b) Have him arrested
(c) Expose him for a fraud
(d) Dance on his grave
15. Where do Rosencrantz and Guilderstern finally ascertain that they are?
(a) In a stagecoach
(b) On a boat
(c) On the way home
(d) In a dungeon
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
2. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
3. What does Guildenstern say about Hamlet?
4. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
5. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
This section contains 625 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)