|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Rosencrantz and Guildenstern talk about the weather, what do they decide?
(a) That it's Autumn.
(b) That it's warm for Winter.
(c) That it's unusually cold for this time of year.
(d) That it's Spring.
2. What does Rosencrantz demand of the troupe?
(a) That they clean their costumes before they perform at court.
(b) That must provide an excellent performance at court, and may not present their usual smutty acts.
(c) That they use court language when they address Hamlet, Claudius, and Gertrude.
(d) That they must not mention having met them on the road to the court.
3. What game do they play to occupy the time?
(a) A game of chess
(b) The guessing game with coins
(c) The coin spinning game
(d) Twenty questions
4. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(b) Do you think the ship will sink?
(c) Do you think death awaits us in England?
(d) Do you think death hurts a lot?
5. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
(a) Helpless and powerless to influence events around them
(b) Sure of themselves and their whereabouts
(c) Effectual in carrying out Claudius's orders
(d) Very knowledgable about Shakespeare
6. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
(a) The Player
7. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
(a) That he is being taken to England by a soldier.
(b) That he has gone into hiding.
(c) That he is being interrogated by the King.
(d) That he has escaped to Norway.
8. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
(a) He complains that he never gets to lie down and rest.
(b) He complains that he cannot remember their names.
(c) He complains that he never has time to talk to anyone.
(d) He complains that people are always coming and going.
9. Where does the Player say they got The Murder of Gonzago?
(a) They wrote it themselves.
(b) They found it in a book.
(c) They stole it from the Italians.
(d) Hamlet gave them the script.
10. What saves Guildenstern from being trapped by Rosencrantz's betrayal?
(a) The guard enters saying that hamlet got away.
(b) Hamlet is escorted in at that moment and he and his escort follow Claudius off stage.
(c) Hamlet runs across the stage followed by an angry troupe.
(d) A scream is hear coming from inside the palace.
11. What is Guildenstern's reply when Rosencrantz says they have nothing to do?
(a) Guildenstern says someone will come tell them what to do.
(b) Guildenstern says they can put on a play.
(c) Guildenstern suggests they write letters.
(d) Guildenstern reminds him that they are taking Hamlet to England.
12. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) The sun is sinking in the west.
(b) The direction he is looking must be east.
(c) That must be the raod home.
(d) The audience looks asleep.
13. What does Hamlet do with the letter he takes from Guildenstern?
(a) He goes behind the umbrella and reads it.
(b) He burns it with flame from the lantern.
(c) He tears it into a thousand pieces.
(d) He wads it up and tosses it into the sea.
14. Where did Hamlet say the body of Polonius is?
(a) In the chapel
(b) In the river
(c) With the King
(d) With Ophelia
15. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
(c) Chained down
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the last to die?
2. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
3. When they open the letter, what is in it?
4. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
5. What is the new game Rosencrantz and Guildenstern play with a coin?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)