|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Hamlet says he will be with them shortly, what do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern do?
(a) Say they will stay by his side
(b) Wait for him
(c) Laugh because they don't believe him
(d) Run off
2. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks why they would want to leave?
(a) So they get home before dark
(b) So they can be free
(c) So they can tell their friends about the adventure
(d) So they know where they are
3. What is strange about where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are throughout the entire play?
(a) They are always in the same place and the action and characters come to them.
(b) They move quickly from place to place.
(c) They think they are in England.
(d) They are either on the road or in the castle.
4. What happens after the Player dies?
(a) He gets up and brushes himself off.
(b) Everyone shouts for joy.
(c) Alfred dances around his body.
(d) They throw him overboard.
5. What does Rosencrantz say when Guildenstern wonders if they will ever return?
(a) He says thay cannot return because they do not know where they are.
(b) He says he will never leave home again.
(c) He says they will return when the weather is warmer.
(d) He asks why they would ever want to return.
6. What does Guildenstern do with a dagger he takes from the Player?
(a) He cleans his nails.
(b) He cuts the Player's throat.
(c) He uses it to slice bread.
(d) He plunges it into the Player all the way to the hilt.
7. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
(a) Starts shouting Hamlet's name
(b) Looks around to see if he came back
(c) Runs off stage
(d) Orders Guildenstern to go get him
8. What morbid questions does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) Do you think death hurts a lot?
(b) Do you think death could possibly be a boat?
(c) Do you think the ship will sink?
(d) Do you think death awaits us in England?
9. What makes Rosencrantz and Guildenstern laugh at this new coin game?
(a) They have invented a new game
(b) The coin fall on tails every time
(c) Both of Rosencrantz's hands are empty
(d) Guildenstern wins back all his coins
10. What do Hamlet, the Player, Rosencrantz, and Guildenstern do when pirates attack?
(a) Call for the soldier and the captain
(b) Leap into the barrels
(c) Beg for mercy
(d) Jump overboard
11. Beside the two British Ambassadors, what characters from Shakespeare are on stage at the end of the play?
(a) Othello and Iago
(b) Horatio and Fortinbras
(c) Ophelia and Gertrude
(d) Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony
12. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern threaten to do to the Player?
(a) Expose him for a fraud
(b) Dance on his grave
(c) Have him arrested
(d) Cut out his tongue
13. Up to this point, how have Rosencrantz and Guildenstern proven to be?
(a) Effectual in carrying out Claudius's orders
(b) Helpless and powerless to influence events around them
(c) Very knowledgable about Shakespeare
(d) Sure of themselves and their whereabouts
14. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) A nunnery
(c) To Rosencrantz
(d) To bed
15. What does Claudius ask Rosencrantz and Guildenstern about Polonius?
(a) Who told them he was dead
(b) Why did Hamlet kill him
(c) Where his body is
(d) What they know about him
Short Answer Questions
1. Talking about acting on assumptions, what does the Player ask the two men?
2. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
3. What happens when Rosencrantz kicks one of the large barrels?
4. Back inside the castle, what does Rosencrantz declare?
5. As characters enter and exit the stage, what is Rosencrantz's objection?
This section contains 711 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)