|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is seen in their failure to trap Hamlet with their belts?
(a) That they are clever but unlucky
(b) That Guldenstern is wearing two belts
(c) That they are once again inept or helpless
(d) That Rosencrantz wears his pants too large
2. Why is the troupe in disfavor from the King?
(a) They insulted Gertrude.
(b) Their costumes were shabby.
(c) He did not like their play.
(d) They got drunk at court.
3. What play does Hamlet ask the Player if his troupe can perform?
(a) The Murder of Gonzago
(b) Julius Caesar
(c) The Tempest
(d) A Midsummer Night's Dream
4. What does Rosencrantz ask Guildenstern about death?
(a) If he is afraid to face death
(b) If he thinks he will never die
(c) If he has ever thought of himself as dead, in a box with a lid on it
(d) If he thinks death is like falling asleep for a while
5. What do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern hear as they discuss the letter the next morning?
6. After speaking with Hamlet, what is the condition of Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) They are confused.
(b) They are happy.
(c) They think they know the answer.
(d) They are satisfied.
7. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
(a) That he may be an imposter.
(b) That he is not acting like himself.
(c) That he keeps changing the subject.
(d) That he won't talk to them.
8. What is Rosencrantz's prophetic remark after Hamlet enters with the soldier?
(a) Rosencrantz remarks that "They will have us hanging about till we're dead."
(b) He says that "They will never be allowed to go home at this rate."
(c) He says that "I think we will have them go with Hamlet."
(d) He says that "Everything has been crazy all day."
9. What is Guildenstern's ominous prediction?
(a) Guildenstern remarks that they are on trial.
(b) Guildenstern says they will come to no good end.
(c) Guildenstern comments that they are on a path, to which they are condemned.
(d) Guildenstern suggests they are in a madhouse.
10. What does Rosencrantz answer when Claudius asks where Hamlet is?
(a) That he is under guard.
(b) That he went to England.
(c) That he is in the library.
(d) That he is with the Queen.
11. What is Rosencrantz's response when Guildenstern asks how his leg feels?
(d) Chained down
12. Who are the last to die?
(a) Hamlet and Ophelia drink poison and die in each other's arms.
(b) The two remaining tragedians are dressed as Rosencrantz and Guildenstern and are stabbed.
(c) The two captured pirates are thrown overboard.
(d) Hamlet and the Player swordfight and kill each other.
13. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(b) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
(c) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
(d) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
14. What question does Guildenstern put to the Player?
(a) He asks which way is north.
(b) He asks where they can find Hamlet.
(c) He asks the Player what he and Rosencrantz are supposed to do.
(d) He asks what he and Rosencrantz need to know.
15. What does Rosencrantz say as he looks out into the audience?
(a) That must be the raod home.
(b) The sun is sinking in the west.
(c) The audience looks asleep.
(d) The direction he is looking must be east.
Short Answer Questions
1. What game do they play to occupy the time?
2. What happens after the Player dies?
3. What do the sounds in the background at the opening of Act III suggest?
4. As they are discussing the letter, who emerges from behind the umbrellas and walks toward the lantern?
5. What does Guildenstern explain to Rosencrantz about Hamlet's whereabouts?
This section contains 694 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)