|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the King wants to see Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz do?
(a) Looks around to see if he came back
(b) Runs off stage
(c) Starts shouting Hamlet's name
(d) Orders Guildenstern to go get him
2. What does Claudius tell Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) That Gertrude is looking for them
(b) That Ophelia has gone to a nunnery
(c) That Hamlet has killed Polonius
(d) That the show is about to start
3. How does Hamlet address Rosencrantz when he pulls him aside?
(a) As Ophelia
(b) As my dearest friend
(c) As Guildenstern
(d) As Polonius
4. What is strange about where Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are throughout the entire play?
(a) They move quickly from place to place.
(b) They think they are in England.
(c) They are either on the road or in the castle.
(d) They are always in the same place and the action and characters come to them.
5. What does Rosencrantz realize about the costumes of two of the troupe?
(a) They have been stolen from the palace
(b) They are too shabby to wear to court
(c) They are garments taken from his closet
(d) They are identical to his and Guildenstern's
6. What are the lines from Shakespeare's Hamlet, Act II, Scene ii that Hamlet says as Act Two opens?
(a) The forest is coming to Elsinore.
(b) S'blood, there is something in this more than natural, if philosophy could find it out.
(c) Alas, poor Yorick, I knew him well.
(d) Out, out, damned spot.
7. How does Stoppard dramatize the death of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Having them walk out of the single spotlight on them.
(b) Having them drink poison and fall to the deck.
(c) Having them hang from a mast.
(d) Having them climb back into the barrels.
8. How does the encounter with Hamlet leave Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Confused about the coin game
(b) Confused about what Hamlet said
(c) Confused about where they are
(d) Confused about who they are
9. What happens when Rosencrantz kicks one of the large barrels?
(a) The lid pops open.
(b) The music stops.
(c) It yells at him.
(d) It tips over.
10. Talking about acting on assumptions, what does the Player ask the two men?
(a) He asks them what it is that they assume.
(b) He asks them if they are ready to assume.
(c) He asks them why they didn't know that.
(d) He asks them if they understand the word, assume.
11. To lighten the discussion, what does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern?
(a) The burial practices of elephants
(b) Silly and meaningless jokes about life and death
(c) How coffins were invented
(d) The story of a man buried alive
12. Where does Hamlet tell Ophelia to go?
(a) To Rosencrantz
(c) A nunnery
(d) To bed
13. What happens to the troupe still dressed in their costumes?
(a) They all die in different ways.
(b) They drag Rosencrantz and Guildenstern to center stage.
(c) They walk off the stage.
(d) They join the audience.
14. During rehearsal, what is it that the Player says the troupe does really well?
(a) Action scenes
(b) Love scenes
(c) Death scenes
(d) Bawdy scenes
15. How does the audience know that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern still do not know where they are?
(a) Guildenstern asks if he is there and Rosencrantz asks where.
(b) Rosencrantz asks if they are in China.
(c) Guildenstern thinks they are in a jail but he cannot see.
(d) Rosencrantz thinks they are in a hospital.
Short Answer Questions
1. What surprise does Rosencrantz get when he thinks he's playing with the Queen?
2. When they meet the King of England, what troubles Rosencrantz?
3. What does Rosencrantz tell the Player about Hamlet?
4. Who is standing upstage and lights a lantern?
5. What amusing thing happens with the barrels?
This section contains 689 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)