|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Guildenstern see the way the game keeps going?
(a) He does not think about it.
(b) He think Rosencrantz is cheating, but he cannot prove it.
(c) He sees it as odd, perhaps an omen.
(d) He thinks he must continue to entertain Rosencrantz.
2. What does the Player do when Rosencrantz tosses a coin on the ground in front of the Player?
(a) The Player looks at it and declares it heads.
(b) The Player spits on the coin.
(c) The Player challenges to throw more coins.
(d) The Player falls to his knees scrambling for the coin.
3. What does the Player say to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern upon meeting them on the road?
(a) That it is a lucky thing they came along.
(b) That there are highwaymen about.
(c) They he is surprised to find gentlemen there.
(d) That there is strength in numbers.
4. Why is the Player so happy to see the two men?
(a) To get them to tell tales they can act on the stage
(b) To put on a show because they were forgetting their lines
(c) To borrow their cloaks for a show
(d) To sell them the musical instruments
5. When the time theory is disproved, what does Guildenstern think of next?
(b) Mental telepathy
(d) Divine intervention
6. What does Rosencrantz say that Guildenstern must be feeling?
7. What is Rosencrantz's emotional condition as a result of his encounters?
(a) He understands everything that is happening around him.
(b) He is apologetic for winning all of Guildenstern's money.
(c) Rosencrantz continues to feel stressed and seems to feel a death is coming.
(d) He is confident that everything will now turn out all right.
8. What concession do Rosencrantz and Guildenstern make to Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) They will not tell Hamlet what Gertrude said.
(b) They will get the troupe to help them.
(c) They commit to stay and to do whatever they can do to assist.
(d) They will play one game of coins.
9. What is Rosencrantz's reaction to the way the game keeps going?
(a) He thinks something is odd about the game.
(b) He laughs and whistles every time he wins a coin.
(c) He is upset because Guildenstern will run out of coins.
(d) He is a little embarrassed because he keeps winning.
10. What does Guildenstern do with the coins he takes out of his bag?
(a) Bites them
(b) Spins them
(c) Buys fruit
(d) Gives them to beggars
11. How does Hamlet react when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern confront him?
(a) Hamlet shouts and runs off stage.
(b) Hamlet asks them what they are doing at court.
(c) Hamlet does not recognize them.
(d) Hamlet refers to them as friends and asks how they are.
12. In what way is Rosencrantz defensive as he discusses the game with Guildenstern?
(a) He declares that he always has good luck at gambling.
(b) He offers to give back all the coins.
(c) He suggests that guildenstern is trying to lose.
(d) He points out that Guildenstern has done all the spinning.
13. How does the dialogue change when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak with Claudius and Gertrude?
(a) The speak French.
(b) They speak in riddles.
(c) They are too stunned to speak.
(d) They use Shakespearean English.
14. What is the fanciful conversation started by Guildenstern when Rosencrantz hears a sound.
(a) About calssical music
(b) About things that go bump in the night
(c) About the fife and drum
(d) About unicorns
15. What are the instruments the musicians play?
(a) Drum, flute, and horn
(b) Horn, flute, and harpsichord
(c) Trumpet, drum, and harp
(d) Bagpipe, horn, and cymbals
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gertrude tell Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. What does Guildenstern do differently the next time he tosses a coin?
3. What is Alfred's response when Guildenstern suggests they could set a dramatic precedent?
4. What is Guildenstern's observation about their strange situation?
5. What is the Player's response when Rosencrantz asks if the two of them are enough for an audience?
This section contains 796 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)