|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the leader of the traveling group called?
2. After trying again and again, what is the score of the game?
(a) 121 to 0
(b) 100 to 0
(c) 85 to 6
(d) 89 to 0
3. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
(a) The law of probability
(b) The law of the land
(c) The law of geometry
(d) The law of gravity
4. What is the Player's response when Rosencrantz asks if the two of them are enough for an audience?
(a) He says two is small for an audience but about average for voyeurs.
(b) The Player says they will have to find more people to attend the show.
(c) The Player says they do not have time to put on a show right then.
(d) The Player says it is all right if they pay extra for the show.
5. What does Guildenstern want to know if the troupe knows?
(a) Any plays
(b) Any popular songs
(c) Any famous people
(d) Any playwrights
6. What does Guildenstern see when he looks at the coin after trying a new method?
(a) Nothing. The coin has disappeared.
(d) His hand is dirty.
7. What is the ridiculous conversation Rosencrantz initiates about fingernails and beards?
(a) Whether they grow at the same rate
(b) Whether they are like toenails
(c) Whether they should be worn long or short
(d) Whether they grow before birth and after death
8. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
(a) They laugh and turn to leave.
(b) They beg the Player to take it.
(c) They dive for it.
(d) They spit on the coin.
9. What is Alfred's response when Guildenstern suggests they could set a dramatic precedent?
(a) He runs for his costume.
(b) He starts dancing around.
(c) He begins to cry.
(d) He asks what a precedent is.
10. What is the fanciful conversation started by Guildenstern when Rosencrantz hears a sound.
(a) About the fife and drum
(b) About unicorns
(c) About calssical music
(d) About things that go bump in the night
11. What assumption does the Player make about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) The Player states that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are surely fellow artists.
(b) The Player says that they are notable patrons of the arts.
(c) The player says that they are Lords and he recognizes them.
(d) The Player says that they are runaway criminals and he has seen their pictures.
12. When the troupe runs out of money, what do they offer Guildenstern?
(b) A show
(c) Musical instruments
13. What is Rosencrantz's emotional condition as a result of his encounters?
(a) He is confident that everything will now turn out all right.
(b) He is apologetic for winning all of Guildenstern's money.
(c) Rosencrantz continues to feel stressed and seems to feel a death is coming.
(d) He understands everything that is happening around him.
14. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
(a) Thet he has lost weight.
(b) That he has changed.
(c) That he had red hair.
(d) That he seldom spoke.
15. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern identified in Stoppard's script?
(a) Ros and Guil
(b) Crantz and Stern
(c) Rose and Guild
(d) Gentleman one and Gentleman two
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Rosencrantz show that he is confused?
2. When Guildenstern insists their meeting must have been chance, how does the Player reply?
3. When Guildenstern assures Rosencrantz that they will be all right, what is Rosencrantz's reply?
4. What is Polonius' message for Claudius?
5. What does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern he would do if he lost that many times?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)