|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Alfred's response when Guildenstern suggests they could set a dramatic precedent?
(a) He asks what a precedent is.
(b) He begins to cry.
(c) He starts dancing around.
(d) He runs for his costume.
2. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
(a) He calls all coin tosses as heads.
(b) He bets they cannot guess his birthday.
(c) He calls all coin tosses as tails.
(d) He plays a shell game.
3. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(b) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
(c) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
(d) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
4. Why is the Player so happy to see the two men?
(a) To borrow their cloaks for a show
(b) To put on a show because they were forgetting their lines
(c) To get them to tell tales they can act on the stage
(d) To sell them the musical instruments
5. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks if the troupe found them by chance?
(a) He says it is in their script.
(b) He says nothing is pure chance.
(c) He says it was.
(d) He says they heard the clinking of his coins.
6. What blunder does Rosencrantz make with the introductions?
(a) He fails to mention their names.
(b) He cannot recall Guildenstern's name.
(c) He talks down to the Player as though he were a Lord.
(d) He confuses their names, calling himself Guildenstern.
7. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
(a) That he seldom spoke.
(b) That he has changed.
(c) That he had red hair.
(d) Thet he has lost weight.
8. What does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern he would do if he lost that many times?
(a) Quit before he lost everything
(b) Keep playing until he started to win
(c) Examine the coins
(d) Draw his sword
9. What question does Guildenstern put to Rosencrantz about language?
(a) If he feels more comfortable speaking French.
(b) If he knows the word for housewife in Danish.
(c) If ordinary words often sound strange to him.
(d) If he sometimes forgets what he wanted to say.
10. What is the Player's apology to Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) He says that he had only been joking with them just for the fun of it.
(b) He says that they should have seen his troupe in better times.
(c) He says that he was desparate to make money so they could eat.
(d) He says that he had mistaken them for bawdy actors.
11. How does Guildenstern see the way the game keeps going?
(a) He thinks he must continue to entertain Rosencrantz.
(b) He does not think about it.
(c) He sees it as odd, perhaps an omen.
(d) He think Rosencrantz is cheating, but he cannot prove it.
12. What is Polonius' message for Claudius?
(a) That Ophelia has lost her mind
(b) That the ambassadors from Norway have returned
(c) That the Danish army is revolting
(d) That Hamlet is suicidal
13. How does Gertrude respond when she hears Guildenstern's prayer?
(a) She says, "Thy will be done."
(b) She says, "You need more than prayer."
(c) She says, "Amen."
(d) She says, "Praise the Lord."
14. What does Guildenstern do with the coins he takes out of his bag?
(a) Gives them to beggars
(b) Bites them
(c) Buys fruit
(d) Spins them
15. What is Rosencrantz's observation about Hamlet?
(a) That Hamlet just like to be the center of attention.
(b) That Hamlet is suffering from amnesia.
(c) That hamlet is just play acting.
(d) That the problem is more than Hamlet's father's death.
Short Answer Questions
1. After trying again and again, what is the score of the game?
2. What is the Player's response when Rosencrantz asks if the two of them are enough for an audience?
3. What are the instruments the musicians play?
4. What is the leader of the traveling group called?
5. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
This section contains 774 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)