|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guildenstern want to know if the troupe knows?
(a) Any plays
(b) Any playwrights
(c) Any famous people
(d) Any popular songs
2. What does Gertrude tell Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) Hamlet will talk to them because they are strangers.
(b) They should get Ophelia to help them.
(c) There are two of them and Hamlet is alone.
(d) Hamlet has spoken of them and that she knows how fond of them he is.
3. What is Guildenstern's observation about their strange situation?
(a) That Claudius will explain everyting to them.
(b) That it will soon be over and they can go home.
(c) That they are fortunate that they are presented with alternatives.
(d) That it is probably all a dream.
4. What is the Player's apology to Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) He says that he had mistaken them for bawdy actors.
(b) He says that he was desparate to make money so they could eat.
(c) He says that they should have seen his troupe in better times.
(d) He says that he had only been joking with them just for the fun of it.
5. What question does Guildenstern put to Rosencrantz about language?
(a) If ordinary words often sound strange to him.
(b) If he knows the word for housewife in Danish.
(c) If he sometimes forgets what he wanted to say.
(d) If he feels more comfortable speaking French.
6. What is Polonius' message for Claudius?
(a) That the ambassadors from Norway have returned
(b) That Hamlet is suicidal
(c) That the Danish army is revolting
(d) That Ophelia has lost her mind
7. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
(a) They laugh and turn to leave.
(b) They dive for it.
(c) They beg the Player to take it.
(d) They spit on the coin.
8. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
(a) He bets they cannot guess his birthday.
(b) He calls all coin tosses as heads.
(c) He calls all coin tosses as tails.
(d) He plays a shell game.
9. Grabbing hold of the Player angrily, how does Guildenstern excuse himself?
(a) He reminds the Player that he had offered audience participation.
(b) He says he was merely testing the Player's reflexes.
(c) He pretends to black out.
(d) He says he tripped on a rock in the road.
10. What does the player tell Guildenstern they are more about?
(a) The school of ballet
(b) The blood, love, and rhetoric school
(c) The school of mimery
(d) The stand-up comedy school
11. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
(a) That he has changed.
(b) Thet he has lost weight.
(c) That he had red hair.
(d) That he seldom spoke.
12. How does Hamlet react when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern confront him?
(a) Hamlet shouts and runs off stage.
(b) Hamlet does not recognize them.
(c) Hamlet asks them what they are doing at court.
(d) Hamlet refers to them as friends and asks how they are.
13. What are the instruments the musicians play?
(a) Horn, flute, and harpsichord
(b) Drum, flute, and horn
(c) Bagpipe, horn, and cymbals
(d) Trumpet, drum, and harp
14. Who enters after Hamlet and Ophelia exit the stage?
(a) Claudius and Gertrude
(b) Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony
(c) The Player and the troupe
(d) Ariel and Puck
15. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
(a) Guildenstern's bag is nearly empty while Rosencrantz's bag is full.
(b) There are coins scattered all over the stage.
(c) Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz to loan him more coins.
(d) Rosencrantz keeps saying he is tired of playing the game.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Rosencrantz's emotional condition as a result of his encounters?
2. What strange comparison does Guildenstern make to the coins?
3. What does the Player say to Rosencrantz and Guildenstern upon meeting them on the road?
4. What blunder does Rosencrantz make with the introductions?
5. How does Guildenstern reply to Rosencrantz's idea about how Guildenstern must be feeling?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)