|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks if he contradicts himself?
(a) Rosencrantz assures him he is not.
(b) Rosencrantz asks what they have to go on.
(c) Rosencrantz pretends he doesn't hear Guildenstern.
(d) Rosencrantz asks if he is talking to him.
2. How many times does Rosencrantz say he has won the game?
(a) Eighty five
(b) One hundred
(c) Fifty six
(d) Seventy nine
3. What event does Guildenstern recall as they talk about questions?
(a) A question for which he had no answer
(b) A play he saw about death
(c) A man coming to summon them to court
(d) A time when he had not studied for an examination
4. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
(a) Thet he has lost weight.
(b) That he had red hair.
(c) That he seldom spoke.
(d) That he has changed.
5. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A small bag of coins
(b) A coin for each actor
(c) A handful of coins
(d) A single coin
6. What assumption does the Player make about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) The player says that they are Lords and he recognizes them.
(b) The Player states that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are surely fellow artists.
(c) The Player says that they are notable patrons of the arts.
(d) The Player says that they are runaway criminals and he has seen their pictures.
7. What does Guildenstern do with the coins he takes out of his bag?
(a) Bites them
(b) Spins them
(c) Gives them to beggars
(d) Buys fruit
8. What does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern he would do if he lost that many times?
(a) Quit before he lost everything
(b) Draw his sword
(c) Examine the coins
(d) Keep playing until he started to win
9. What does Guildenstern mean when he says he is afraid, too?
(a) He is afraid that the weather is causing the results.
(b) He is afraid that someone is coming.
(c) He is afraid that he has run out of coins.
(d) He is afraid that it really is his day.
10. Grabbing hold of the Player angrily, how does Guildenstern excuse himself?
(a) He says he tripped on a rock in the road.
(b) He says he was merely testing the Player's reflexes.
(c) He pretends to black out.
(d) He reminds the Player that he had offered audience participation.
11. When Guildenstern insists their meeting must have been chance, how does the Player reply?
(a) There is no chance of chance.
(b) It might have been fate.
(c) Stranger things have happened.
(d) It was written into a script.
12. What question does Guildenstern press on Rosencrantz during their discussion of the game?
(a) If he wants to spin one last coin double or nothing
(b) If he wants to spin the coins himself
(c) If he would feel the same having lost that many times
(d) If he knows any other game they could play
13. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) To sing and dance
(b) To explain why they are there
(c) To play a game of coins
(d) To try to figure out what is bothering Hamlet
14. What blunder does Rosencrantz make with the introductions?
(a) He fails to mention their names.
(b) He confuses their names, calling himself Guildenstern.
(c) He cannot recall Guildenstern's name.
(d) He talks down to the Player as though he were a Lord.
15. What type of play does the Player mention that comes at another cost?
(a) Plays from classical Greek drama
(b) Plays that have never been performed before
(c) Plays where the audience participates
(d) Plays that last over three hours
Short Answer Questions
1. What question does Guildenstern put to Rosencrantz about language?
2. What indicates that Guildenstern may also be a bit confused?
3. Of what does Guildenstern say they can be sure?
4. How does Guildenstern reply to Rosencrantz's idea about how Guildenstern must be feeling?
5. What are Guildenstern's suggestions for him and Rosencrantz in this strange situation?
This section contains 787 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)