|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Guildenstern insists their meeting must have been chance, how does the Player reply?
(a) It might have been fate.
(b) There is no chance of chance.
(c) Stranger things have happened.
(d) It was written into a script.
2. What is Guildenstern's observation about their strange situation?
(a) That it is probably all a dream.
(b) That Claudius will explain everyting to them.
(c) That they are fortunate that they are presented with alternatives.
(d) That it will soon be over and they can go home.
3. What does Guildenstern continue doing with the coin tosses?
(a) Biting them before tossing them
(b) Trying different ways of tossing them
(c) Using only the heaviest coins
(d) Saying a prayer before tossing them
4. What is the Player's apology to Guildenstern and Rosencrantz?
(a) He says that he had only been joking with them just for the fun of it.
(b) He says that he had mistaken them for bawdy actors.
(c) He says that he was desparate to make money so they could eat.
(d) He says that they should have seen his troupe in better times.
5. What does Guildenstern do with the coins he takes out of his bag?
(a) Bites them
(b) Spins them
(c) Gives them to beggars
(d) Buys fruit
6. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A coin for each actor
(b) A handful of coins
(c) A small bag of coins
(d) A single coin
7. How does Guildenstern reply to Rosencrantz's idea about how Guildenstern must be feeling?
(a) He says that he doesn't mind losing because Rosencrantz is his friend.
(b) He says there is suspense while the coins are in the air.
(c) He says he is not really thinking about the game.
(d) He says there are plenty more coins where those came from.
8. What indicates that Guildenstern may also be a bit confused?
(a) He asks if he is contradicting himself in his conversation.
(b) He forgets what he is saying in his conversation.
(c) He asks if anything he says makes sense in his conversation.
(d) He keeps repeating himself in his conversation.
9. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
(a) He calls all coin tosses as heads.
(b) He plays a shell game.
(c) He bets they cannot guess his birthday.
(d) He calls all coin tosses as tails.
10. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks if he contradicts himself?
(a) Rosencrantz asks what they have to go on.
(b) Rosencrantz asks if he is talking to him.
(c) Rosencrantz assures him he is not.
(d) Rosencrantz pretends he doesn't hear Guildenstern.
11. What is Rosencrantz's observation about Hamlet?
(a) That Hamlet just like to be the center of attention.
(b) That hamlet is just play acting.
(c) That the problem is more than Hamlet's father's death.
(d) That Hamlet is suffering from amnesia.
12. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
(a) The law of gravity
(b) The law of geometry
(c) The law of probability
(d) The law of the land
13. When the time theory is disproved, what does Guildenstern think of next?
(b) Divine intervention
(d) Mental telepathy
14. How does Guildenstern summarize that day?
(a) They were awakened at dawn with a message, a summons, and a new record for heads and tails.
(b) They got a message to come quickly but it did not tell them where.
(c) they were sleeping and suddenly found themselves on a road they don't know.
(d) Right after breakfast they got a summons for jury duty.
15. What is the Player's response when Rosencrantz asks if the two of them are enough for an audience?
(a) He says two is small for an audience but about average for voyeurs.
(b) The Player says it is all right if they pay extra for the show.
(c) The Player says they do not have time to put on a show right then.
(d) The Player says they will have to find more people to attend the show.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say he remembers about questions in the past?
2. What type of performance does the Player say they can put on for Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
3. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
4. How does the dialogue change when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak with Claudius and Gertrude?
5. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
This section contains 793 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)