|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the troupe runs out of money, what do they offer Guildenstern?
(b) A show
(c) Musical instruments
2. What event does Guildenstern recall as they talk about questions?
(a) A question for which he had no answer
(b) A play he saw about death
(c) A man coming to summon them to court
(d) A time when he had not studied for an examination
3. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A single coin
(b) A handful of coins
(c) A small bag of coins
(d) A coin for each actor
4. What does Guildenstern suggest they do with Hamlet?
(a) That they should move Hamlet toward pleasurable things
(b) That they should blackmail Hamlet.
(c) That they should kidnap him.
(d) That they should threaten Hamlet.
5. Who are the well-dressed Elizabethan gentlemen at the opening of the play?
(a) Claudius and Polonius
(b) Rosencrantz and Guildenstern
(c) Procter and Gamble
(d) Hamlet and Horatio
6. What does Guildenstern do differently the next time he tosses a coin?
(a) He tosses two coins at once.
(b) He lets it land in his other hand.
(c) He tosses it much farther away.
(d) He rubs the coin on his shirt before tossing it.
7. After trying again and again, what is the score of the game?
(a) 89 to 0
(b) 85 to 6
(c) 121 to 0
(d) 100 to 0
8. How does Guildenstern summarize that day?
(a) they were sleeping and suddenly found themselves on a road they don't know.
(b) They got a message to come quickly but it did not tell them where.
(c) They were awakened at dawn with a message, a summons, and a new record for heads and tails.
(d) Right after breakfast they got a summons for jury duty.
9. What is the ridiculous conversation Rosencrantz initiates about fingernails and beards?
(a) Whether they grow at the same rate
(b) Whether they are like toenails
(c) Whether they should be worn long or short
(d) Whether they grow before birth and after death
10. What indicates that Guildenstern may also be a bit confused?
(a) He asks if he is contradicting himself in his conversation.
(b) He forgets what he is saying in his conversation.
(c) He keeps repeating himself in his conversation.
(d) He asks if anything he says makes sense in his conversation.
11. What strange comment does Rosencrantz make about questions?
(a) That questions always lead to more questions.
(b) That questions give him a headache.
(c) That he remembers when there were no questions.
(d) That he understands the questions but has no answers.
12. What does the Player do when Rosencrantz tosses a coin on the ground in front of the Player?
(a) The Player challenges to throw more coins.
(b) The Player looks at it and declares it heads.
(c) The Player spits on the coin.
(d) The Player falls to his knees scrambling for the coin.
13. When Rosencrantz collects the coin, why does he say Guildenstern was lucky?
(a) The coin was almost lost.
(b) The coin was on heads again.
(c) The coin was on tails.
(d) The coin was buried in the sand.
14. What is the leader of the traveling group called?
15. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
(a) He laughs in the Player's face and calls him stupid.
(b) He says he was prepared for any kind of messenger, but instead he is approached by prostitutes.
(c) He calls the Player a pimp and orders him to leave with his troupe.
(d) He draws his sword and tells the Player if he suggests that again, he will kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
2. What are the instruments the musicians play?
3. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
4. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
5. As Rosencrantz and Guildenstern practice questioning one another, how do they keep score?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)