|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When the troupe moves on, why does the Player stand in one place?
(a) He is drunk and cannot walk.
(b) He's waiting for guildenstern to pay him.
(c) He waits for Guildenstern to give him permission to leave.
(d) His foot is on Guildenstern's coin.
2. What does Guildenstern see when he looks at the coin after trying a new method?
(b) His hand is dirty.
(c) Nothing. The coin has disappeared.
3. What assumption does the Player make about Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) The Player states that Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are surely fellow artists.
(b) The player says that they are Lords and he recognizes them.
(c) The Player says that they are notable patrons of the arts.
(d) The Player says that they are runaway criminals and he has seen their pictures.
4. How does Guildenstern win money from the Player and the troupe?
(a) He bets they cannot guess his birthday.
(b) He calls all coin tosses as heads.
(c) He calls all coin tosses as tails.
(d) He plays a shell game.
5. As Rosencrantz and Guildenstern practice questioning one another, how do they keep score?
(a) Rosencrantz uses tennis term to keep score, but nothing makes sense.
(b) They get ten points for each unanswerable question.
(c) They make tally marks on the ground.
(d) Rosencrantz gives guildenstern a coin for each correct answer.
6. How does Hamlet react when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern confront him?
(a) Hamlet asks them what they are doing at court.
(b) Hamlet refers to them as friends and asks how they are.
(c) Hamlet shouts and runs off stage.
(d) Hamlet does not recognize them.
7. What new theory does Guildenstern come up with for his run of bad luck?
(a) That his arm has grown too tired to toss properly.
(b) That the coins are heavier on one side than the other.
(c) That he needs to learn how to toss coins.
(d) That he is somehow willing for Rosencrantz to win.
8. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
(a) The law of probability
(b) The law of the land
(c) The law of geometry
(d) The law of gravity
9. What does Rosencrantz say that Guildenstern must be feeling?
10. What event does Guildenstern recall as they talk about questions?
(a) A question for which he had no answer
(b) A play he saw about death
(c) A time when he had not studied for an examination
(d) A man coming to summon them to court
11. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A small bag of coins
(b) A coin for each actor
(c) A handful of coins
(d) A single coin
12. Who enters after Hamlet and Ophelia exit the stage?
(a) The Player and the troupe
(b) Claudius and Gertrude
(c) Julius Caesar and Marc Anthony
(d) Ariel and Puck
13. What does Rosencrantz say he remembers about questions in the past?
(a) That questions never bothered him then.
(b) That there were answers for everything.
(c) That only simple questions were asked.
(d) That he never knew the answers.
14. When the troupe runs out of money, what do they offer Guildenstern?
(c) Musical instruments
(d) A show
15. What does Rosencrantz remember about Hamlet?
(a) That he had red hair.
(b) Thet he has lost weight.
(c) That he has changed.
(d) That he seldom spoke.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
2. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
3. What does the player tell Guildenstern they are more about?
4. In what way is Rosencrantz defensive as he discusses the game with Guildenstern?
5. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern identified in Stoppard's script?
This section contains 683 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)