|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the Player's response when Guildenstern asks if the troupe found them by chance?
(a) He says nothing is pure chance.
(b) He says it was.
(c) He says it is in their script.
(d) He says they heard the clinking of his coins.
2. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
(a) The law of probability
(b) The law of geometry
(c) The law of the land
(d) The law of gravity
3. What blunder does Rosencrantz make with the introductions?
(a) He talks down to the Player as though he were a Lord.
(b) He cannot recall Guildenstern's name.
(c) He confuses their names, calling himself Guildenstern.
(d) He fails to mention their names.
4. What does Rosencrantz tell Guildenstern he would do if he lost that many times?
(a) Examine the coins
(b) Draw his sword
(c) Quit before he lost everything
(d) Keep playing until he started to win
5. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(b) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
(c) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
(d) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
Short Answer Questions
1. After everyone else has left the stage, how does the speech of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern change?
2. What does Guildenstern want to know if the troupe knows?
3. What is Rosencrantz's observation about Hamlet?
4. What is Alfred's response when Guildenstern suggests they could set a dramatic precedent?
5. What is the fanciful conversation started by Guildenstern when Rosencrantz hears a sound.
This section contains 354 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)