|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
(a) They dive for it.
(b) They beg the Player to take it.
(c) They spit on the coin.
(d) They laugh and turn to leave.
2. What question does Guildenstern put to Rosencrantz about language?
(a) If ordinary words often sound strange to him.
(b) If he knows the word for housewife in Danish.
(c) If he sometimes forgets what he wanted to say.
(d) If he feels more comfortable speaking French.
3. When the troupe moves on, why does the Player stand in one place?
(a) He is drunk and cannot walk.
(b) He waits for Guildenstern to give him permission to leave.
(c) He's waiting for guildenstern to pay him.
(d) His foot is on Guildenstern's coin.
4. Leaving Claudius and Gertrude, Rosencrantz and Guildenstern are met by which character?
5. Of what does Guildenstern say they can be sure?
(a) That Hamlet will confide in them.
(b) That they will be at home by nightfall.
(c) That they will make a lot of money this time.
(d) That the only beginnings and endings are birth and death.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the well-dressed Elizabethan gentlemen at the opening of the play?
2. What question does Guildenstern press on Rosencrantz during their discussion of the game?
3. What does the Player do when Rosencrantz tosses a coin on the ground in front of the Player?
4. How does Rosencrantz show that he is confused?
5. How does Guildenstern summarize that day?
This section contains 395 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)