|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) To explain why they are there
(b) To sing and dance
(c) To play a game of coins
(d) To try to figure out what is bothering Hamlet
2. What does the Player do when Rosencrantz tosses a coin on the ground in front of the Player?
(a) The Player spits on the coin.
(b) The Player looks at it and declares it heads.
(c) The Player challenges to throw more coins.
(d) The Player falls to his knees scrambling for the coin.
3. Why is the Player so happy to see the two men?
(a) To sell them the musical instruments
(b) To put on a show because they were forgetting their lines
(c) To borrow their cloaks for a show
(d) To get them to tell tales they can act on the stage
4. What is Guildenstern's angry reply to the Player's suggestion?
(a) He says he was prepared for any kind of messenger, but instead he is approached by prostitutes.
(b) He draws his sword and tells the Player if he suggests that again, he will kill him.
(c) He laughs in the Player's face and calls him stupid.
(d) He calls the Player a pimp and orders him to leave with his troupe.
5. How are Rosencrantz and Guildenstern identified in Stoppard's script?
(a) Crantz and Stern
(b) Rose and Guild
(c) Gentleman one and Gentleman two
(d) Ros and Guil
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Alfred's response when Guildenstern suggests they could set a dramatic precedent?
2. What does Guildenstern see when he looks at the coin after trying a new method?
3. How does the dialogue change when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak with Claudius and Gertrude?
4. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
5. What is Alfred's reply when Guildenstern asks if he likes being an actor?
This section contains 384 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)