|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
(b) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
(c) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(d) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
2. When Guildenstern insists their meeting must have been chance, how does the Player reply?
(a) Stranger things have happened.
(b) It might have been fate.
(c) There is no chance of chance.
(d) It was written into a script.
3. What is the Player's reaction when Guildenstern says he may be able to use his influence at the court to get them shows?
(a) The Player doubts his word.
(b) The Player offers to put on a free show for them.
(c) The Player falls at his feet.
(d) The Player runs away.
4. When Guildenstern assures Rosencrantz that they will be all right, what is Rosencrantz's reply?
(a) Rosencrantz says that is easy for him to say.
(b) Rosencrantz says he has gotten them into a fine mess.
(c) Rosencrantz asks how he knows that.
(d) Rosencrantz asks for how long.
5. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
(a) A small bag of coins
(b) A coin for each actor
(c) A single coin
(d) A handful of coins
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Guildenstern summarize that day?
2. What question does Guildenstern press on Rosencrantz during their discussion of the game?
3. How does the dialogue change when Rosencrantz and Guildenstern speak with Claudius and Gertrude?
4. How does Gertrude respond when she hears Guildenstern's prayer?
5. If they discover what is troubling Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz want to know?
This section contains 439 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)