|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Rosencrantz show that he is confused?
(a) He asks Guildenstern what his name is.
(b) He cannot remember the coin game
(c) He asks Guildenstern what just happened.
(d) He asks which way they entered the room.
2. What does Claudius request of Rosencrantz and Guildenstern?
(a) To explain why they are there
(b) To try to figure out what is bothering Hamlet
(c) To play a game of coins
(d) To sing and dance
3. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
(b) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(c) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
(d) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
4. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
(a) Guildenstern's bag is nearly empty while Rosencrantz's bag is full.
(b) There are coins scattered all over the stage.
(c) Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz to loan him more coins.
(d) Rosencrantz keeps saying he is tired of playing the game.
5. What type of play does the Player mention that comes at another cost?
(a) Plays from classical Greek drama
(b) Plays that have never been performed before
(c) Plays where the audience participates
(d) Plays that last over three hours
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Guildenstern say will eventually turn the game around?
2. What is Guildenstern's observation about their strange situation?
3. What indicates that Guildenstern may also be a bit confused?
4. How does Gertrude respond when she hears Guildenstern's prayer?
5. How much does the Player say it will cost for them to perform a gory romance?
This section contains 405 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)