|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 34-53.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guildenstern do differently the next time he tosses a coin?
(a) He lets it land in his other hand.
(b) He tosses it much farther away.
(c) He rubs the coin on his shirt before tossing it.
(d) He tosses two coins at once.
2. What is Rosencrantz's reply when Guildenstern asks if he contradicts himself?
(a) Rosencrantz pretends he doesn't hear Guildenstern.
(b) Rosencrantz asks if he is talking to him.
(c) Rosencrantz assures him he is not.
(d) Rosencrantz asks what they have to go on.
3. What event does Guildenstern recall as they talk about questions?
(a) A question for which he had no answer
(b) A play he saw about death
(c) A time when he had not studied for an examination
(d) A man coming to summon them to court
4. How does Guildenstern summarize that day?
(a) They were awakened at dawn with a message, a summons, and a new record for heads and tails.
(b) They got a message to come quickly but it did not tell them where.
(c) Right after breakfast they got a summons for jury duty.
(d) they were sleeping and suddenly found themselves on a road they don't know.
5. Grabbing hold of the Player angrily, how does Guildenstern excuse himself?
(a) He reminds the Player that he had offered audience participation.
(b) He pretends to black out.
(c) He says he was merely testing the Player's reflexes.
(d) He says he tripped on a rock in the road.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Rosencrantz say that Guildenstern must be feeling?
2. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
3. Why does Rosencrantz's answer please Guildenstern?
4. If they discover what is troubling Hamlet, what does Rosencrantz want to know?
5. When the time theory is disproved, what does Guildenstern think of next?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)