|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Act 1, p. 20-34.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Guildenstern do differently the next time he tosses a coin?
(a) He tosses two coins at once.
(b) He rubs the coin on his shirt before tossing it.
(c) He tosses it much farther away.
(d) He lets it land in his other hand.
2. Trying to determine what Rosencrantz wants to see, what does the Player mention not too subtly?
(a) Adam and Eve in the Garden in their original costumes
(b) Great Tragedies and comedies they have performed before kings
(c) Bawdy barroom ballads acted out by the mimes as the musician splay and sing
(d) Rapes are mentioned and he alludes to wives and "ravished virgins" and asks if he is getting warm.
3. What is odd about the gambling game Guildenstern plays with Rosencrantz?
(a) The coins are made of wood.
(b) The coins seem to disappear.
(c) The coins all come up heads.
(d) The coins never leave Guildenstern's hand.
4. How is it obvious that the two men have been playing the gambling game for a long time?
(a) Guildenstern asks Rosencrantz to loan him more coins.
(b) Guildenstern's bag is nearly empty while Rosencrantz's bag is full.
(c) There are coins scattered all over the stage.
(d) Rosencrantz keeps saying he is tired of playing the game.
5. What is the ridiculous conversation Rosencrantz initiates about fingernails and beards?
(a) Whether they grow before birth and after death
(b) Whether they should be worn long or short
(c) Whether they grow at the same rate
(d) Whether they are like toenails
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of play does the Player mention that comes at another cost?
2. Who are the well-dressed Elizabethan gentlemen at the opening of the play?
3. What happens when the troupe sees the coin?
4. When Rosencrantz collects the coin, why does he say Guildenstern was lucky?
5. Guildenstern is aware that the game defies _________________________.
This section contains 385 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)