|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was Eufrasia when there was a fight between David and Camilo?
2. Who does the narrator of Part II, Chapter 11, say committed a crime?
3. What is Eufrasia's opinion of most of the people involved in the case?
4. How does Eufrasia describe the way that the maid speaks?
5. Why does Rosaura claim she arrived at the boarding house?
Short Essay Questions
1. What kind of relationship develops between Rosaura and David Reguel?
2. How does Camilo describe the way in which Rosaura came into his life in Part III?
3. Why does Reguel claim he foresaw a crime? How does he describe Camilo's character?
4. How does Rosaura respond to Mrs. Milagros' questioning, and how does this make Mrs. Milagros feel?
5. How does Mrs. Milagros treat Rosa when they first meet?
6. How does Camilo's idealized mental version of Rosaura compare to who she is in reality?
7. How does Camilo speak about art to the inspector? What does he say about modern art?
8. What clues are there in Part I, Chapter 9 that Camilo and Rosa's relationship is not what it seems?
9. How does Eufrasia describe the day of the fight that Mrs. Milagros and David Reguel also testify about?
10. What do Mrs. Milagros' daughters learn about Rosaura's name in Part I, Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What people and things are presented as unimportant but turn out to be central to the novel's mystery?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Milagros opens the book describing the assumptions that she has about another character before really getting to know him. Her assumptions prove wrong on several points. These are shown to be wrong in her own narrative as well as in the contrasting narratives of other characters. How do the assumptions of others limit the character's options? How do they shape relationships? List the principal assumptions that shape the story.
Essay Topic 3
After reading all of the descriptions of Rosaura (by Mrs. Milagros, David, Camilo, Elsa, and Rosaura's own letter), what is the real story of Rosaura? Tell the story linearly, and be sure to include which narratives the different pieces of the story are pulled from.
This section contains 1,313 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)