|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the investigator's involvement in Part III different from previous sections?
2. Which of the following best characterizes Mrs. Milagros' attitude toward her daughters gossiping about Rosaura?
3. What does the investigator ask Mrs. Milagros?
4. How does the vocabulary in Part II, Chapter 11, differ from earlier chapters?
5. Who narrates Part I, Chapter 10?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Mrs. Milagros describe learning of a crime?
2. What does Mrs. Milagros discuss with her daughters about Rosaura after first meeting her?
3. What kind of relationship develops between Rosaura and David Reguel?
4. How is imagery of the ocean used in Part I, Chapter 8?
5. How is the role of the inspector in Part III different from his role in earlier chapters?
6. How does Elsa speak?
7. What clues are there in Part I, Chapter 9 that Camilo and Rosa's relationship is not what it seems?
8. How does the maid say that Rosaura really met Camilo?
9. How does David Reguel explain Camilo and Rosaura's relationship?
10. How does Mrs. Milagros describe the wedding and the party afterward?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The difference between appearances, fantasy, and reality are blurred in several scenes in the text. Describe these moments in the text as well as the repeated imagery that may have to do with the blurring of these boundaries.
Essay Topic 2
Solving the crime of who killed Rosaura is the pretext for all of the details in the text. Solving the mystery drives the text even before the reader is even aware of the nature of the crime. Describe the speculation of each of the characters on this crime, and finally answer the question of who killed Rosaura and why. Do you believe that this is an interesting or satisfactory resolution to the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Rosaura has had several names and identities during her life. What names has she had? Why has she had these names? Do any of the other characters share with her having had several identities?
This section contains 1,300 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)