|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the meaning of the name Kunta chooses for Bell's daughter?
2. What is the sign of mourning recognized by the slaves?
3. What gift does Kunta carve for Kizzy's second birthday?
4. What is it that the slave named Noah tells Kunta that he plans to do?
5. What is the job Tom is assigned to do with regard to the war effort?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
Essay Topic 2
Noah and Kunta each ran away. Compare the actions and motivations of the two. Why are they different? Why are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
After twenty years, Kunta says that he suddenly realizes that he has lost himself. What is it that he feels has happened to him after his years in slavery and what is the impact on him?
This section contains 254 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)