|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is it that causes Lamin to scream as he and Kunta travel?
2. What is the fate of the Wolof who attacks the toubobs?
3. Which of the following is not what Kunta knows of the manhood training older boys receive?
4. Why do Kunta and his father gather the dust of their first footprints of their journey?
5. What is the meat on Kunta's plate when he revives after having been whipped?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that divides and delays an uprising of the captives aboard the ship?
2. What does Master John tell the slaves while he is staying at the plantation overseeing things?
3. Why does Fiddler tell Kunta he's a "half-free nigger?"
4. How does George come to know the identity of his father?
5. How does George get his freedom papers?
6. What does Kunta believe to have been the fatal flaw in his escape attempt?
7. What is George's idea about freedom and how does he expect Tom to help?
8. How is Kunta's name revealed?
9. How do the rocks with which Kunta keeps track of his age become an issue with the master?
10. How are the boys of Kunta's village taken away for their manhood training?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Kunta's life as a baby. How does that compare to his life as an adult slave? How is his life as an adult different in America from what it would be in Africa?
Essay Topic 2
At one point Kizzy says that Tom Lea's chickens stole George from them. What does she mean and how do those chickens eventually impact the lives of the entire family?
Essay Topic 3
After twenty years, Kunta says that he suddenly realizes that he has lost himself. What is it that he feels has happened to him after his years in slavery and what is the impact on him?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)