|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Kunta's food on the first night he is in the custody of his new master?
2. Why do the young men grow lots of food?
3. Which of the following is not a rule Omoro tells Kunta will help keep him safe from being taken by the toubob?
4. Why do the people of Kunta's village protect owls?
5. What song are the blacks in the field singing as Kunta travels with his new owner?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is it that Bell tells Kunta about his master's reaction when Kunta's foot was severed?
2. What hope does Kizzy hold onto regarding how she might yet be returned to her parents?
3. What is Kunta's reaction when he sees the toubob unwrap his foot for the first time after the amputation?
4. What is the story about Kunta's grandfather's role in Kunta's people?
5. How does Omoro tell Kunta a person can become a slave?
6. How do the rocks with which Kunta keeps track of his age become an issue with the master?
7. What does Master John tell the slaves while he is staying at the plantation overseeing things?
8. What are the circumstances surrounding Tom's first encounter with the man who would become the plantation overseer?
9. How does Kunta's father console Kunta upon the death of his grandmother?
10. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is it that makes the entire family of Matilda and Chicken George travel to Tennessee rather than remaining on the Murray plantation? What makes others join them?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the man they call "Ol' George?" How does he come to be part of the lives of Tom's family? What is it that prompts him to go with the family when they leave for Tennessee?
Essay Topic 3
After twenty years, Kunta says that he suddenly realizes that he has lost himself. What is it that he feels has happened to him after his years in slavery and what is the impact on him?
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)