|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kunta vow that he will do if he ever again returns to his village?
2. What does Kunta learn is the reason that Fiddler is no longer playing for the slaves?
3. What are Kunta and the other captives given on their seventh morning on land?
4. Why do Kunta and his father gather the dust of their first footprints of their journey?
5. Which of the following is not a rule Omoro tells Kunta will help keep him safe from being taken by the toubob?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Chicken George take the death of his wife, Matilda?
2. What is the concern Matilda feels about George's travels?
3. What are the first days of the manhood training like for Kunta and his mates?
4. How do Kunta's friends act upon his return?
5. What is the result of Fiddler saving up to buy his freedom?
6. How does George become the source of news for the slaves ion the plantation where Kizzy lives?
7. Why does Kunta become disappointed with his new role as a man?
8. What is Kunta's first thought after having thought of his father's brothers aboard the slave ship?
9. What is the dream Belle has during her pregnancy?
10. What is Uncle Mingo's reaction when the master tells them about the uprising and threatens them if they act as if they might revolt?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Who is the man they call "Ol' George?" How does he come to be part of the lives of Tom's family? What is it that prompts him to go with the family when they leave for Tennessee?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the first plantation where Kunta is held with the second. What does he say is the same at the two?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between George and Matilda early in their marriage? How does it change over time? Compare that to the relationship between Kunta and Bell.
This section contains 1,252 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)