|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Fiddler say happened to his previous master?
2. How do the women on the ship relay information to the men?
3. How does Kunta know he and his mates are approaching a freshly cut bamboo grove?
4. How many strings does the instrument called a kora have?
5. What color does Binta dye her new cotton for the family's clothing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Kunta's thoughts when he sees the toubob women?
2. What does Kunta believe to have been the fatal flaw in his escape attempt?
3. Describe the reactions of the mothers when the young men in training slip into their storehouses to steal food?
4. What is the skill Bell has that she keeps hidden from Kunta and why?
5. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
6. What hope does Kizzy hold onto regarding how she might yet be returned to her parents?
7. With the many traders who stop at Juffure, why do some pass without stopping?
8. What is Kunta's reaction when he sees the toubob unwrap his foot for the first time after the amputation?
9. How does the relationship between Kunta and Lamin begin to develop as Kunta ages?
10. What does Kunta remember that his father had told him about being willing to give and accept?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1At one point Kizzy says that Tom Lea's chickens stole George from them. What does she mean and how do those chickens eventually impact the lives of the entire family?
Essay Topic 2What does Kunta observe about the wealthy whites and the poor whites who attend church together at Waller Meetinghouse? Compare that to Kunta's thoughts on the separation of blacks and whites.
Essay Topic 3What is the relationship between George and Matilda early in their marriage? How does it change over time? Compare that to the relationship between Kunta and Bell.
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)