|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times do the mourning women walk around Kunta's grandmother when she dies?
2. What does Fiddler say happened to his previous master?
3. What do the men of the village give the "magic man" when he arrives at Jeffure?
4. How does Kunta know he and his mates are approaching a freshly cut bamboo grove?
5. What food is offered Kunta by the black slave?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kunta believe to have been the fatal flaw in his escape attempt?
2. How is the size of growing plots determined?
3. What is the significance of Kunta's action with the dirt when Kizzy is taken away and what does he do with it?
4. How are the boys of Kunta's village taken away for their manhood training?
5. What does Kunta come to realize about the seasons and their impact on his people?
6. What hope does Kizzy hold onto regarding how she might yet be returned to her parents?
7. What does Bell say is the master's attitude about the "yellow" slaves?
8. Describe Kunta's arrival at the first stop on his travels to the plantation.
9. How does Irene go about ensuring that her master and missus will sell her to Tom's?
10. How does George come to know the identity of his father?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the first plantation where Kunta is held with the second. What does he say is the same at the two?
Essay Topic 3
What is the importance of the stories about Kunta - called the African - to Kizzy and later to her grandchildren? How do these stories reach George?
This section contains 698 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)