|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the gift Nyo Boto gives Kunta as he prepares to go on the journey with his father?
2. How much does Kunta's new owner pay for him?
3. What is the fate of the young girl who jumps overboard?
4. What does Kunta learn is the reason that Fiddler is no longer playing for the slaves?
5. What does Fiddler do to make his fingers nimble again?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
2. What does Bell say is the master's attitude about the "yellow" slaves?
3. How does George get his freedom papers?
4. How are the boys of Kunta's village taken away for their manhood training?
5. What does Fiddler say to Kunta when Kunta finally wakes from his coma during his bout with the fever?
6. How does George become the source of news for the slaves ion the plantation where Kizzy lives?
7. What does Kunta remember that his father had told him about being willing to give and accept?
8. How does the relationship between Kunta and Lamin begin to develop as Kunta ages?
9. What is the issue brought to the council by the young girl named Jankeh Jallon?
10. How does Irene go about ensuring that her master and missus will sell her to Tom's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
Essay Topic 2
What is the traditional story told to the babies and children born of the descendants of Kunta? Why does Will Palmer resent this tradition?
Essay Topic 3
Noah and Kunta each ran away. Compare the actions and motivations of the two. Why are they different? Why are they the same?
This section contains 734 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)