|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Kunta's friends believe about the toubob?
2. What infirmity does the "brown" man have during Kunta's recuperation?
3. Where does Kunta plan to go on his next trip?
4. What does Omoro say about those who become slaves during a battle against an enemy?
5. Which of the following is not what Kunta knows of the manhood training older boys receive?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the deal George and Master Lea agree on with regard to the freedom of the slaves?
2. How does it come about that Kunta realizes he is now thirty-four rains in age?
3. How does Omoro tell Kunta a person can become a slave?
4. What does Fiddler say to Kunta when Kunta finally wakes from his coma during his bout with the fever?
5. When George hears that there has been a threat of an uprising that resulted in an order for blacks to remain in their cabins at his plantation, what is his reaction and what does he eventually realize about that reaction?
6. What is the result of Fiddler saving up to buy his freedom?
7. How is the land prepared for the annual planting season?
8. Describe the reactions of the mothers when the young men in training slip into their storehouses to steal food?
9. What is George's idea about freedom and how does he expect Tom to help?
10. What does Bell say is the master's attitude about the "yellow" slaves?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the belief of Kunta's people regarding the toubob and the taking of slaves? What is the significance of the white cock's death with regard to those taken captive?
Essay Topic 2
Who is the man they call "Ol' George?" How does he come to be part of the lives of Tom's family? What is it that prompts him to go with the family when they leave for Tennessee?
Essay Topic 3
What is it that makes the entire family of Matilda and Chicken George travel to Tennessee rather than remaining on the Murray plantation? What makes others join them?
This section contains 1,344 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)