|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the slaves about the Manumission Act that allows masters to free their slaves?
2. What is the significance of a wrestler picking up the headpiece of a village girl?
3. What is the gift Omoro gives Kunta upon his graduation?
4. What does Kunta say about the color of "the missus?"
5. Why do Kunta and his father gather the dust of their first footprints of their journey?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does George tell his family about the land in Tennessee where he wants to go?
2. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
3. Describe Kunta's arrival at the first stop on his travels to the plantation.
4. What are some of the things of Africa Kunta sees in his surroundings?
5. What is Kunta's reaction when he sees the toubob unwrap his foot for the first time after the amputation?
6. What happens to George and his family as a result of Nat Turner's uprising and what is the end result with regard to the relationship between George and the master, Tom Lea?
7. What is it that divides and delays an uprising of the captives aboard the ship?
8. How does Kunta come to realize that he is now into his "nineteenth rain?"
9. How does Irene go about ensuring that her master and missus will sell her to Tom's?
10. How does George get his freedom papers?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship as it evolves between George and Tom Lea.
Essay Topic 2
After twenty years, Kunta says that he suddenly realizes that he has lost himself. What is it that he feels has happened to him after his years in slavery and what is the impact on him?
Essay Topic 3
When is the first time Kunta comes to feel the emotions of his people as they dance around a ceremonial fire? What happens to him at this ceremony? Why does it happen at this time? How does it affect him?
This section contains 777 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)