|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How do the people of Juffure learn that there are ferocious wrestlers on their way to the village?
2. What is the gift Omoro gives Kunta upon his graduation?
3. What is the purpose of the tree trunk Kunta plans to chop down?
4. What is the drawing on the hide displayed by Janneh?
5. Which of the following is not a rule Omoro tells Kunta will help keep him safe from being taken by the toubob?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Kunta's friends act upon his return?
2. How does Omoro tell Kunta a person can become a slave?
3. Why does Fiddler tell Kunta he's a "half-free nigger?"
4. What are the first days of the manhood training like for Kunta and his mates?
5. When George hears that there has been a threat of an uprising that resulted in an order for blacks to remain in their cabins at his plantation, what is his reaction and what does he eventually realize about that reaction?
6. What is the purpose of the fudano leaves used by the women of the village?
7. What does Fiddler say to Kunta when Kunta finally wakes from his coma during his bout with the fever?
8. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
9. What does Kunta come to realize about the seasons and their impact on his people?
10. What is the result of Fiddler saving up to buy his freedom?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Kunta observe about the wealthy whites and the poor whites who attend church together at Waller Meetinghouse? Compare that to Kunta's thoughts on the separation of blacks and whites.
Essay Topic 2
What is the belief of Kunta's people regarding the toubob and the taking of slaves? What is the significance of the white cock's death with regard to those taken captive?
Essay Topic 3
What is the relationship between George and Matilda early in their marriage? How does it change over time? Compare that to the relationship between Kunta and Bell.
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)