|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Kunta discovers he is chained to _________.
2. What is the significance of a wrestler picking up the headpiece of a village girl?
3. What is the purpose of the turtle and the fish in the village well?
4. How many days is Kunta held in the hold of the ship before being allowed on deck?
5. What new job is Kunta given after the incident with the house girl's attempted escape?
Short Essay Questions
1. When George hears that there has been a threat of an uprising that resulted in an order for blacks to remain in their cabins at his plantation, what is his reaction and what does he eventually realize about that reaction?
2. How does the relationship between Kunta and Lamin begin to develop as Kunta ages?
3. What does Fiddler say to Kunta when Kunta finally wakes from his coma during his bout with the fever?
4. How do all the stories of Nyo Boto begin?
5. What are the circumstances surrounding Tom's first encounter with the man who would become the plantation overseer?
6. What is the attitude of the other blacks Kunta reaches the plantation that will be his new home and what does Kunta think of it?
7. How does Kunta come to realize that he is now into his "nineteenth rain?"
8. What is Kunta's reaction when he sees the toubob unwrap his foot for the first time after the amputation?
9. What is the issue brought to the council by the young girl named Jankeh Jallon?
10. What is it that divides and delays an uprising of the captives aboard the ship?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the relationship between George and Matilda early in their marriage? How does it change over time? Compare that to the relationship between Kunta and Bell.
Essay Topic 2
What is the traditional story told to the babies and children born of the descendants of Kunta? Why does Will Palmer resent this tradition?
Essay Topic 3
How do the attitudes of the blacks change when they are freed? Compare that to the attitudes of the whites over the following years.
This section contains 692 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)