|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Kunta discover is the name of the black man who gives him the new name?
2. How is Kunta fed when he becomes too weak to eat for himself?
3. Kunta discovers he is chained to _________.
4. What is the message Kunta believes has come to him from Allah after he is on land?
5. Why are battles begun late in the day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Uncle Mingo's reaction when the master tells them about the uprising and threatens them if they act as if they might revolt?
2. What is the story about Kunta's grandfather's role in Kunta's people?
3. How do the rocks with which Kunta keeps track of his age become an issue with the master?
4. How does Kunta's father console Kunta upon the death of his grandmother?
5. How does Chicken George take the death of his wife, Matilda?
6. When George hears that there has been a threat of an uprising that resulted in an order for blacks to remain in their cabins at his plantation, what is his reaction and what does he eventually realize about that reaction?
7. Why does Kunta become disappointed with his new role as a man?
8. Why does Fiddler tell Kunta he's a "half-free nigger?"
9. How does Will Palmer come to be so respected that he's offered the chance to buy the lumber mill?
10. How does Kunta come to realize that he is now into his "nineteenth rain?"
Essay Topic 1
At a shop in Melville Township, a slave is asked whether he would side with the Southerners or the Yankees if a war broke out. The slave says, "You's seed two dogs fightin' over a bone, Mass? Well, us niggers be's dat bone." What does he mean?
Essay Topic 2
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
Essay Topic 3
When is the first time Kunta comes to feel the emotions of his people as they dance around a ceremonial fire? What happens to him at this ceremony? Why does it happen at this time? How does it affect him?
This section contains 1,287 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)