|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Kunta hate the task of carrying Bell's basket of vegetables when she first begins asking him to do it?
2. What is the purpose of the turtle and the fish in the village well?
3. What is the fate of the man who has an infected wound on his leg?
4. What two items are used to stuff mattresses for the slaves?
5. What is it that causes Lamin to scream as he and Kunta travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Will Palmer come to be so respected that he's offered the chance to buy the lumber mill?
2. What does Master John tell the slaves while he is staying at the plantation overseeing things?
3. What are some of the sounds Kunta misses from his home during the quiet times on the planation?
4. What is the story about Kunta's grandfather's role in Kunta's people?
5. What does Fiddler say to Kunta when Kunta finally wakes from his coma during his bout with the fever?
6. How does Kunta come to realize that he is now into his "nineteenth rain?"
7. Why does Fiddler tell Kunta he's a "half-free nigger?"
8. With the many traders who stop at Juffure, why do some pass without stopping?
9. How does George get his freedom papers?
10. How does the relationship between Kunta and Lamin begin to develop as Kunta ages?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
When is the first time Kunta comes to feel the emotions of his people as they dance around a ceremonial fire? What happens to him at this ceremony? Why does it happen at this time? How does it affect him?
Essay Topic 2
What is the importance of the stories about Kunta - called the African - to Kizzy and later to her grandchildren? How do these stories reach George?
Essay Topic 3
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)