|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many times daily do the men stop for prayers?
2. What does Kunta say about the color of "the missus?"
3. Why do the people of Kunta's village protect owls?
4. What order is given to the young boy who continually talks when he should be silent?
5. What does Kunta look for each morning as he eats?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some of the things of Africa Kunta sees in his surroundings?
2. What is the significance of Kunta's action with the dirt when Kizzy is taken away and what does he do with it?
3. What does Bell say is the master's attitude about the "yellow" slaves?
4. What does Kunta come to realize about the seasons and their impact on his people?
5. Why does Kunta become disappointed with his new role as a man?
6. What is Kunta's reaction when he sees the toubob unwrap his foot for the first time after the amputation?
7. What lesson is given the boys regarding emotions?
8. What is the attitude of Nyo Boto upon Kunta's return from his training and what is its impact on them both?
9. What is the deal George and Master Lea agree on with regard to the freedom of the slaves?
10. What does George tell his family about the land in Tennessee where he wants to go?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Kunta come to marry Bell? What are his reservations about that step?
Essay Topic 2
Noah and Kunta each ran away. Compare the actions and motivations of the two. Why are they different? Why are they the same?
Essay Topic 3
Who is the man they call "Ol' George?" How does he come to be part of the lives of Tom's family? What is it that prompts him to go with the family when they leave for Tennessee?
This section contains 1,319 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)