|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do Kunta and his father gather the dust of their first footprints of their journey?
2. What is the meat on Kunta's plate when he revives after having been whipped?
3. What is the disease that runs quickly through the hold of the ship, claiming many lives?
4. How many strings does the instrument called a kora have?
5. What is it that causes Lamin to scream as he and Kunta travel?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is the land prepared for the annual planting season?
2. What is the deal George and Master Lea agree on with regard to the freedom of the slaves?
3. When George hears that there has been a threat of an uprising that resulted in an order for blacks to remain in their cabins at his plantation, what is his reaction and what does he eventually realize about that reaction?
4. What are Kunta's thoughts when he sees the toubob women?
5. What is the dispute over fruit that is brought to the council and what is the resolution?
6. What are some of the things of Africa Kunta sees in his surroundings?
7. What is the attitude of the other blacks Kunta reaches the plantation that will be his new home and what does Kunta think of it?
8. Describe Kunta's arrival at the first stop on his travels to the plantation.
9. What is the concern Matilda feels about George's travels?
10. What are the first days of the manhood training like for Kunta and his mates?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the immediate reaction of Tom and the family when they learn that of the Emancipation Proclamation? How does it change over time, and what is the end result?
Essay Topic 2
What is the belief of Kunta's people regarding the toubob and the taking of slaves? What is the significance of the white cock's death with regard to those taken captive?
Essay Topic 3
What does Kunta observe about the wealthy whites and the poor whites who attend church together at Waller Meetinghouse? Compare that to Kunta's thoughts on the separation of blacks and whites.
This section contains 754 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)