|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who looks after Kunta and the other young children of the tribe?
(a) The grandmothers
(b) The midwives
(c) The mothers
(d) The older sisters
2. Who tells Kunta and the other children the story of Kunta's grandfather's prayers for the deliverance from the drought?
(a) Nyo Boto
(d) No One
3. Who tells the slaves about the Manumission Act that allows masters to free their slaves?
(d) Master William
4. What is the fate of the man who has an infected wound on his leg?
(a) He is considered useless and is thrown overboard
(b) His leg is amputated and he is returned to Africa
(c) His leg is amputated and he dies
(d) He dies in the hold while chained to Kunta
5. What is the purpose of the tree trunk Kunta plans to chop down?
(a) A canoe
(b) The body of a drum
(d) A coffin
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the disease that runs quickly through the hold of the ship, claiming many lives?
2. What is the rule Kunta must follow when it is time to eat?
3. How does Luther aid in the attempted escape of a house girl?
4. What does Fiddler say happened to his previous master?
5. Why do the people of Kunta's village protect owls?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the dream Belle has during her pregnancy?
2. What is the purpose of the fudano leaves used by the women of the village?
3. What are Kunta's thoughts when he sees the toubob women?
4. What is Uncle Mingo's reaction when the master tells them about the uprising and threatens them if they act as if they might revolt?
5. What does Bell say is the master's attitude about the "yellow" slaves?
6. What happens to George and his family as a result of Nat Turner's uprising and what is the end result with regard to the relationship between George and the master, Tom Lea?
7. How does Will Palmer come to be so respected that he's offered the chance to buy the lumber mill?
8. What is George's idea about freedom and how does he expect Tom to help?
9. How does George become the source of news for the slaves ion the plantation where Kizzy lives?
10. What are some of the things of Africa Kunta sees in his surroundings?
This section contains 822 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)