|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is the first person George sees upon his return to the Lea farm?
(a) Tom Lea
(d) Miss Malizy
2. Why is the name Virgil given to George and Matilda's son?
(a) The master selects it.
(b) It is Matilda's father's name.
(c) It was the name of the man who previously owned Matilda.
(d) It was George's father's name.
3. Who is the first person George encounters upon arriving at the plantation where his family now lives?
4. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
(a) She reads from the Bible.
(b) She carries soup to the slave huts.
(c) She takes over some of the cooking.
(d) She travels with her uncle as his assistant.
5. Where does George find his freedom papers?
(a) The master's pocket
(b) The master's desk
(c) The master's strongbox
(d) He gets the master drunk and asks
6. What is the name of the organization that proposes a mass return of blacks to Africa?
(a) The Black Affiliation
(b) The Negro Union
(c) The Freedman's Society
(d) The NAACP
7. What is the news George and the master learn as they are preparing for the trip to New Orleans?
(a) That the missus has died
(b) That Virgil has died
(c) That Uncle Pompey has died
(d) That Uncle Mingo has died
8. Where is Kizzy to spend her second birthday?
(a) Alone with Kunta and Bell
(b) In the fields with the slaves
(c) At home for a party of close friends
(d) In the big house with Miss Anne
9. What is Tom's answer to the restriction that he cannot build a blacksmith shop in the Tennessee town where they arrive?
(a) He moves to another town.
(b) He decides to become a farmer and forget the trade.
(c) He creates a traveling blacksmith business.
(d) He sets up his forge on his land so customers can come to him.
10. What is the outcome of the overseer's wife's pregnancy?
(a) She gives birth to twins and one dies.
(b) She dies.
(c) She gives birth to a girl who dies.
(d) She gives birth to a boy who dies.
11. What is it that the slave named Noah tells Kunta that he plans to do?
(a) Try to make money like Fiddler
(b) Run away
(c) Be a driver like Kunta
(d) Ask Kizzy to marry him
12. What does Master William say are a man's two best investments?
(a) Land and slaves
(b) Slaves and gold
(c) Information and gold
(d) Gold and information
13. How many cocks does George plan to take with him on the trip to New Orleans?
14. What does the master leave each time he comes to Kizzy's bed?
(a) A coin
(b) A trinket
(c) Extra food
15. What is the contraption Amos describes that sounds like a cricket?
(a) A telegraph
(b) An anvil
(c) A washing machine
(d) A sewing machine
Short Answer Questions
1. What task are Tom and the others involved in when he tells about Lincoln's determination to end slavery?
2. What is the occupation of Kunta's owner?
3. What is the gift George gives to Matilda when they marry?
4. What is the highest amount offered to the master for George?
5. What nickname does George come to like?
This section contains 547 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)