|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the sign of mourning recognized by the slaves?
(a) A black shroud over the window
(b) A bouquet of dried flowers on the door
(c) A straw hat hung on the door
(d) A dark armband worn by the slaves
2. How much does Uncle Mingo bet on the second fight in which he and George participate?
(a) Fifty cents
(b) Two dollars
(c) Ten dollars
(d) Twenty dollars
3. What gift does Kunta carve for Kizzy's second birthday?
(a) A totem
(b) A game
(c) A mortar and pestle
(d) A traditional African doll
4. How does George die?
(a) Catches a chill and dies three days later.
(b) Has a heart attack and dies in his sleep.
(c) Wanders off alone and is found dead later.
(d) Falls in the fire and succumbs to his burns.
5. Why is Kizzy arrested?
(a) She stole paper.
(b) She wrote her name on the slave cabin.
(c) She wrote a note for Noah.
(d) She read newspapers that belonged to the master.
6. What is the gift Tom plans to make for Irene?
(a) A clock
(b) A rose of iron
(c) A quilting frame
(d) A carved mortar and pestle
7. What does Master William say are a man's two best investments?
(a) Information and gold
(b) Land and slaves
(c) Gold and information
(d) Slaves and gold
8. How old is the author when his grandfather dies?
9. What is the job of Mingo?
(a) Driving the master
(b) Working in the fields
(c) Tending the pigs
(d) Tending the chickens
10. What is the name of the white man who is appointed overseer by Master Murray?
11. What is the contraption Amos describes that sounds like a cricket?
(a) An anvil
(b) A washing machine
(c) A sewing machine
(d) A telegraph
12. What is the gift George gives to Matilda when they marry?
(a) A new house
(b) A bathtub
(c) A ring
(d) A grandfather clock
13. Where is Kizzy to spend her second birthday?
(a) In the big house with Miss Anne
(b) Alone with Kunta and Bell
(c) At home for a party of close friends
(d) In the fields with the slaves
14. What is the name of the daughter Will spoils?
15. How old is Kizzy's son when he begins working in the field?
Short Answer Questions
1. What had been the cause of the gardener's disability?
2. What is the outcome of the overseer's wife's pregnancy?
3. What song does Fiddler say he played to prove to the whites in Richmond that he was a fiddler?
4. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
5. What is the name of the new masters who have purchased Matilda and her family?
This section contains 512 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)