|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the gift Tom plans to make for Irene?
(a) A carved mortar and pestle
(b) A rose of iron
(c) A quilting frame
(d) A clock
2. What is it that Tom Lea says changed his life?
(a) The pain of always being hungry
(b) A sermon
(c) His wife's faith in him
(d) Watching his father beat his mother
3. What is the gift Bell makes for Kunta prior to their marriage?
(b) A mat
(c) A cap
4. What is the name of the master's niece of whom he is overly fond?
5. How much money does the master give George to bet on his own birds?
(a) Two dollars
(b) A quarter
(c) Fifty cents
(d) Twenty dollars
6. Who drives the master while Kunta is sick with the fever?
7. What is the name of Matilda and George's seventh child?
8. What is the gift Kunta gives Bell?
(a) A carved totem
(b) A large bowl
(c) A mortar and pestle
(d) A basket of flowers
9. Why is Kizzy arrested?
(a) She wrote her name on the slave cabin.
(b) She read newspapers that belonged to the master.
(c) She wrote a note for Noah.
(d) She stole paper.
10. Why does Kunta feel uneasy about Missy Anne's teaching Kizzy the letters of the alphabet?
(a) He does not believe girls should be educated.
(b) He does not want Kizzy to play when she should be working.
(c) He is afraid she will be punished for learning.
(d) He says Kizzy is learning toubob things.
11. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
(a) She reads from the Bible.
(b) She travels with her uncle as his assistant.
(c) She takes over some of the cooking.
(d) She carries soup to the slave huts.
12. What is the name of the white man who is appointed overseer by Master Murray?
13. What is it that the slave named Noah tells Kunta that he plans to do?
(a) Be a driver like Kunta
(b) Try to make money like Fiddler
(c) Ask Kizzy to marry him
(d) Run away
14. What is the slave name of the man with the African name Boteng Bediako?
15. Who is the first person George sees upon his return to the Lea farm?
(b) Tom Lea
(c) Miss Malizy
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name given to George and Matilda's fourth son?
2. What is the occupation of Kunta's owner?
3. What is the highest amount offered to the master for George?
4. How old is Kizzy when Bell tells her she will have to begin doing some work at the big house?
5. What is Tom's answer to the restriction that he cannot build a blacksmith shop in the Tennessee town where they arrive?
This section contains 503 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)