|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one thing Kunta believes he has kept despite having lost his African heritage?
(a) His dignity
(c) His faith
(d) His love of his family
2. What is the name of the master's niece of whom he is overly fond?
3. What does Master William say are a man's two best investments?
(a) Slaves and gold
(b) Gold and information
(c) Land and slaves
(d) Information and gold
4. What does Kizzy learn will keep her new master busy for several days, thereby saving her from being raped again for that length of time?
(a) He has gone to buy another slave.
(b) His daughter is visiting.
(c) His wife is demanding his attention.
(d) He has gone to a chicken fight.
5. What is the meaning of the name Kunta chooses for Bell's daughter?
(a) Remain faithful
(b) Child of God
(d) You stay put
6. What does Bell eventually reveal about her life before she married Kunta?
(a) That she was married to a man in Africa.
(b) That she had two children.
(c) That she waited all her life for a man like Kunta.
(d) That she was raped by an overseer.
7. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
(a) She takes over some of the cooking.
(b) She reads from the Bible.
(c) She travels with her uncle as his assistant.
(d) She carries soup to the slave huts.
8. Where does Kizzy discover she is now living with the new master?
(b) North Carolina
(d) South Carolina
9. Where does the author become a journalist?
(a) In Chicago
(b) In the military
(c) In Japan
(d) In Tennessee
10. Why is the name Virgil given to George and Matilda's son?
(a) It was the name of the man who previously owned Matilda.
(b) It was George's father's name.
(c) The master selects it.
(d) It is Matilda's father's name.
11. What does Bell say she discovered about the slaves if their master dies without a wife?
(a) That his niece will inherit them.
(b) That they will be freed.
(c) That they will be sold with the plantation.
(d) That they will be given to his brother.
12. How old is Kizzy's son when he begins working in the field?
13. What does the master leave each time he comes to Kizzy's bed?
(b) Extra food
(c) A coin
(d) A trinket
14. What is the gift George gives to Matilda when they marry?
(a) A bathtub
(b) A new house
(c) A ring
(d) A grandfather clock
15. What is it that George shows the master in an effort to sell the idea of Tom becoming a blacksmith?
(a) A pitcher made of brass
(b) A pitcher made of a broken shovel
(c) A pitcher made of a cowhorn
(d) A pitcher made of wire
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the sign of mourning recognized by the slaves?
2. What is the job of Mingo?
3. Where is Kizzy to spend her second birthday?
4. Why does Kizzy not offer to teach her son to read and write?
5. What is the name of the new masters who have purchased Matilda and her family?
This section contains 581 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)