|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How much does Uncle Mingo bet on the second fight in which he and George participate?
(a) Two dollars
(b) Ten dollars
(c) Twenty dollars
(d) Fifty cents
2. What is the name of the white man who is appointed overseer by Master Murray?
3. How old is the author when his grandfather dies?
4. What fact does the overseer withhold from Master Murray?
(a) That he will work hard in the fields.
(b) That he doesn't know anything about being an overseer.
(c) That he is married.
(d) That he is poor.
5. How does Tom meet Irene?
(a) She comes to Tom's blacksmith shop to pick up a hoe
(b) She is a field hand at a neighboring plantation
(c) Installing window grills for her missus
(d) At a church meeting
6. What does Kunta learn had been the old gardener's name?
7. What is the meaning of the name Kunta chooses for Bell's daughter?
(b) You stay put
(c) Remain faithful
(d) Child of God
8. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
(a) She carries soup to the slave huts.
(b) She takes over some of the cooking.
(c) She reads from the Bible.
(d) She travels with her uncle as his assistant.
9. What is the name of Matilda and George's seventh child?
10. What does Bell say she discovered about the slaves if their master dies without a wife?
(a) That they will be sold with the plantation.
(b) That they will be freed.
(c) That they will be given to his brother.
(d) That his niece will inherit them.
11. What does Bell eventually reveal about her life before she married Kunta?
(a) That she was married to a man in Africa.
(b) That she waited all her life for a man like Kunta.
(c) That she had two children.
(d) That she was raped by an overseer.
12. What is Tom's answer to the restriction that he cannot build a blacksmith shop in the Tennessee town where they arrive?
(a) He sets up his forge on his land so customers can come to him.
(b) He decides to become a farmer and forget the trade.
(c) He moves to another town.
(d) He creates a traveling blacksmith business.
13. Why does Kunta feel uneasy about Missy Anne's teaching Kizzy the letters of the alphabet?
(a) He is afraid she will be punished for learning.
(b) He does not believe girls should be educated.
(c) He says Kizzy is learning toubob things.
(d) He does not want Kizzy to play when she should be working.
14. What is the news George and the master learn as they are preparing for the trip to New Orleans?
(a) That Uncle Pompey has died
(b) That Uncle Mingo has died
(c) That Virgil has died
(d) That the missus has died
15. What is the name of the organization that proposes a mass return of blacks to Africa?
(a) The Freedman's Society
(b) The Negro Union
(c) The NAACP
(d) The Black Affiliation
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Matilda say is her only wish on the morning of the first service in the new church?
2. What does George learn he must do in order to retain his status as a free man?
3. What is the highest amount offered to the master for George?
4. What is the gift Tom plans to make for Irene?
5. What is the gift Bell makes for Kunta prior to their marriage?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)