|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What job does George come to have as his permanent assignment?
(a) He has no permanent job
(b) Working with the gamecocks
(c) Working as the houseboy for dinner parties
(d) Working in the fields
2. What does Missy Anne do to help while Kunta is ill?
(a) She takes over some of the cooking.
(b) She reads from the Bible.
(c) She carries soup to the slave huts.
(d) She travels with her uncle as his assistant.
3. Why does Kunta feel uneasy about Missy Anne's teaching Kizzy the letters of the alphabet?
(a) He is afraid she will be punished for learning.
(b) He does not want Kizzy to play when she should be working.
(c) He says Kizzy is learning toubob things.
(d) He does not believe girls should be educated.
4. What is Tom's answer to the restriction that he cannot build a blacksmith shop in the Tennessee town where they arrive?
(a) He creates a traveling blacksmith business.
(b) He decides to become a farmer and forget the trade.
(c) He moves to another town.
(d) He sets up his forge on his land so customers can come to him.
5. What is the sign of mourning recognized by the slaves?
(a) A dark armband worn by the slaves
(b) A straw hat hung on the door
(c) A black shroud over the window
(d) A bouquet of dried flowers on the door
6. What does Kizzy learn will keep her new master busy for several days, thereby saving her from being raped again for that length of time?
(a) He has gone to a chicken fight.
(b) He has gone to buy another slave.
(c) His daughter is visiting.
(d) His wife is demanding his attention.
7. Why does Kizzy not offer to teach her son to read and write?
(a) She has forgotten how herself.
(b) She knows it's against the law.
(c) She feels the knowledge ruined her own life.
(d) She wants him to be ready to learn.
8. What is the surprise that Cynthia and Will are given by their daughter in 1921?
(a) The news that they were to have a grandchild
(b) The news that their daughter was to become a pianist
(c) A clock sent by their daughter
(d) Their grandchild, Alex Haley
9. What is the gift Tom plans to make for Irene?
(a) A carved mortar and pestle
(b) A quilting frame
(c) A clock
(d) A rose of iron
10. Where does the author become a journalist?
(a) In Tennessee
(b) In Japan
(c) In the military
(d) In Chicago
11. What is the name of Matilda and George's seventh child?
12. A slave who is asked whether he'll side with the North or South says that the two are like what animal?
13. What is the reason Tom comes home for a visit after nine months of training as a blacksmith?
(a) The death of Uncle Pompey
(d) The birth of a new sister
14. Why does Kunta take the seasoned block of wood back to this hut?
(a) To use for firewood
(b) To carve
(c) To prop his table on
(d) To sit on
15. How old is the author when his grandfather dies?
Short Answer Questions
1. What nickname does George come to like?
2. What is the contraption Amos describes that sounds like a cricket?
3. What is it that the slave named Noah tells Kunta that he plans to do?
4. What does the master name Kizzy's son?
5. What is the name of the new masters who have purchased Matilda and her family?
This section contains 595 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)