|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many huts does Kunta discover there are for housing slaves?
2. How many days is Kunta held in the hold of the ship before being allowed on deck?
3. How many times do the mourning women walk around Kunta's grandmother when she dies?
4. What does a shrouded moon signify?
(a) That Allah is displeased.
(b) That Allah is preparing a reward.
(c) That the following day will be bright.
(d) That there will be a storm.
5. What does Kunta know to be the truth when he feels the ship begin to move?
(a) That he will die on this ship.
(b) That he will never see Africa again.
(c) That the men he is shackled to are causing the movement.
(d) That he's going to America.
6. How is Bell getting information about the uprising against England?
(a) News comes from slaves of other plantations.
(b) The master is talking to her.
(c) She finds documents left by the master
(d) She listens in on conversations whenever there is company.
7. What does Kunta discover is the name of the black man who gives him the new name?
8. What is the purpose of the charms at the head of Omoro's bed?
(a) To provide decoration
(b) To ensure good hunting
(c) To ward off evil spirits
(d) To keep Kunta from having bad dreams
9. Who looks after Kunta and the other young children of the tribe?
(a) The midwives
(b) The older sisters
(c) The grandmothers
(d) The mothers
10. What is the purpose of the turtle and the fish in the village well?
(a) To eat insects
(b) They are left there as a prank by the younger boys
(c) To provide food
(d) There is no purpose
11. What does Kunta say about the color of "the missus?"
(a) That her coloring is beautiful.
(b) That it makes her pitiful.
(c) That her coloring is like honey.
(d) That she is the same as a toad's underbelly
12. What item is bestowed on Kunta by Omoro to mark his next step into manhood at age twelve?
(a) New clothes
(b) A slingshot
(c) A new bow
(d) New shoes
13. How do the women on the ship relay information to the men?
(a) The women share information while passing out food and water.
(b) They sing it while the men are on deck.
(c) They send messages along the lines of the captives.
(d) They pass notes.
14. What is it that causes Lamin to scream as he and Kunta travel?
(a) A thorn
(b) An old man
(c) A panther
(d) An elephant
15. What is the fate of the man who has an infected wound on his leg?
(a) His leg is amputated and he dies
(b) He is considered useless and is thrown overboard
(c) His leg is amputated and he is returned to Africa
(d) He dies in the hold while chained to Kunta
Short Answer Questions
1. Who tells the slaves about the Manumission Act that allows masters to free their slaves?
2. What does Kunta steal in the hope that it might help him escape?
3. What happens to one of Kunta's goats while he is supposed to be watching over them?
4. Why are battles begun late in the day?
5. According to custom, when is Kunta to be weaned?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)