|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the first job Kunta is given after he begins his recovery?
(b) Working the fields
(c) Mending fences
(d) Carrying firewood and water
2. Which of the following is not a pastime of Kunta and his friends?
(a) Digging up termite mounds
(b) Racing scarab dung beetles
(c) Running with the dogs of the village
(d) Chasing squirrels
3. What is the fate of the Wolof who attacks the toubobs?
(a) He is beheaded then slashed with whips.
(b) He is whipped to death then beheaded.
(c) He is beheaded and tossed overboard where sharks eat the body.
(d) He is shot and tossed overboard where sharks eat the body.
4. What is the gift Nyo Boto gives Kunta as he prepares to go on the journey with his father?
(a) A slingshot
(b) A story
(c) A charm
(d) A pouch
5. Who tells Kunta and the other children the story of Kunta's grandfather's prayers for the deliverance from the drought?
(b) Nyo Boto
(d) No One
6. What order is given to the young boy who continually talks when he should be silent?
(a) He is sent back to the village.
(b) He is sent to catch a live bird.
(c) He is beaten in front of the other boys.
(d) He is given nothing to eat.
7. What two items are used to stuff mattresses for the slaves?
(a) Moss and hay
(b) Cornshucks and good feathers
(c) Moss and cornshucks
(d) Hay and cornshucks
8. What item is bestowed on Kunta by Omoro to mark his next step into manhood at age twelve?
(a) New shoes
(b) A slingshot
(c) New clothes
(d) A new bow
9. What color does Binta dye her new cotton for the family's clothing?
(d) No color
10. Who is the woman who tends Kunta after his failed escape attempt?
11. Why does Kunta hate the task of carrying Bell's basket of vegetables when she first begins asking him to do it?
(a) He fears going into the big house.
(b) He doesn't want to interact with anyone.
(c) The women in Africa carry their own.
(d) It interrupts his own work.
12. What do Kunta and Lamin have when they return to Juffure?
(a) A panther hide
(b) A collection of elephant tusks
(c) Seeds for new crops
(d) Enough gold to buy a cow
13. What is the fate of a boy who fails the manhood training?
(a) He is sent from the village.
(b) He is treated always like a child and never marries.
(c) He is killed.
(d) He is given another chance the following year.
14. Why do the children of Kunta's village try to catch the flakes of ashes?
(a) It's just a game.
(b) They believe each fleck of ash captured brings a day of plenty.
(c) They are trying to keep the fields from catching fire.
(d) They believe them to be good luck.
15. What do the elders say is the advantage the toubob have over the tribes of Africans?
(a) That he lies and cheats naturally.
(b) That the tribes don't band together against him.
(c) That he comes in great numbers.
(d) That he has money to buy what he wants.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are the young men of Kunta's age urged to attend council meetings?
2. What is the message Kunta believes has come to him from Allah after he is on land?
3. What is the disease that runs quickly through the hold of the ship, claiming many lives?
4. What is Kunta wearing when he wakes after his attack?
5. What are the men of the village talking about when Kunta finds himself gathered around their fire?
This section contains 652 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)