|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the one item Omoro keeps from Kunta's childish grasp?
(a) The hot coals of the fire
(b) The arrows
(c) The charms at the head of his bed
(d) The prayer rug
2. What is the name of the brown man who first befriends Kunta?
3. What is the fate of the Wolof who attacks the toubobs?
(a) He is whipped to death then beheaded.
(b) He is beheaded then slashed with whips.
(c) He is beheaded and tossed overboard where sharks eat the body.
(d) He is shot and tossed overboard where sharks eat the body.
4. What is the meat on Kunta's plate when he revives after having been whipped?
(c) He can't tell
5. Which of the following is not a rule Omoro tells Kunta will help keep him safe from being taken by the toubob?
(a) Never be out at night
(b) Never be without a weapon
(c) Never be alone
(d) Stay away from high bushes and weeds
6. What question is NOT asked of the boys of Kunta's group upon their graduation?
(a) About the work of their ancestors
(b) How to decipher the message of the village drum
(c) How to write their names in Arabic
(d) A math problem about monkeys and ground nuts
7. Why is Kunta told he should put away the African charm he wears?
(a) It makes the whites mad and frightens the blacks.
(b) It makes the whites angry and all the blacks suffer for that anger.
(c) It frightens the whites and puts them all in danger.
(d) It isn't real and won't help his cause.
8. What does Fiddler do to make his fingers nimble again?
(a) Plays his fiddle
(b) Squeezes a stick
(c) Rubs them with oil
(d) Plaits cornhusks
9. What is the penalty Kunta is subjected to when he runs away yet again?
(a) He is refused food for a week.
(b) Two toes are chopped off.
(c) He is whipped and beaten.
(d) Half his foot is chopped off.
10. Where is Kunta to live when he returns to the village after his manhood training?
(a) In a hut with other young men of his age
(b) In his own hut
(c) In the hut of his mother
(d) In the hut with his father
11. What is the sight that distracts everyone and allows the captive from the Wolof tribe to attack?
(a) A sudden storm on the horizon
(b) The dancing slaves
(c) Flying fish
(d) Another ship
12. What does Bell say about the reason the master has never been married?
(a) That he was to be married but the young woman drowned.
(b) That he has never found a woman worthy of him.
(c) That he is to be married in the coming year.
(d) That he was married and his wife died in childbirth.
13. Why are the young men of Kunta's age urged to attend council meetings?
(a) To be heard
(b) To help make decisions
(c) To broaden their knowledge
(d) To learn the troubles of the tribe
14. What is the purpose of the charms at the head of Omoro's bed?
(a) To ward off evil spirits
(b) To ensure good hunting
(c) To provide decoration
(d) To keep Kunta from having bad dreams
15. What is the drawing on the hide displayed by Janneh?
(a) A map of Africa
(b) The history of their people
(c) A map of the locations of the tribes of Africa
(d) Writing of Allah
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is given to Kunta's baby brother?
2. What happens to Kunta's food on the first night he is in the custody of his new master?
3. What does Kunta look for each morning as he eats?
4. After whom is Kunta named?
5. What is Kunta given to help him begin moving about?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)