* Kunta is born in 1750 in a village in Gambia, West Africa.
* Kunta and other children learn about Kunta's grandfather and namesake and his importance in their village.
* He later has a baby brother, Lamin.
* At four, Kunta has the job of leading visitors to their village.
* Kunta soon begins school and takes on the responsibility of caring for goats.
* Kunta and Lamin become closer as hard times befall the village and the two brothers spend more time together.
* Kunta and his father travel to another village where Kunta realizes that his grandfather was a great man.
* Kunta comes to understand the importance of Islam in the lives of his people.
* Kunta and others of the tribe undergo manhood training that takes them from their homes and families for four months.
* The training is brutal but Kunta thrives, soon becoming a leader.
This section contains 1,089 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)