|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Miss Bartlett accepts the room with a view, why is the owner of the room not there to receive her acceptance?
2. What does Lucy long for at the beginning of Chapter 5?
3. What do Lucy and Miss Bartlett argue about at breakfast?
4. Who is proposing to Lucy at the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. During the group ride out to the country, Lucy suggests she and George do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What symbol in nature is used to express Lucy's emotion after her kiss with George?
2. Who does Lucy recommend Mr. Beebe rent his villa out to and why?
3. What is the meaning of the quote Mr. Emerson has written on the wardrobe?
4. Why is it ironic that Cecil is the one who facilitates the Emersons' move to the villa?
5. What dramatic event happens in Chapter 4? What does Lucy say to George regarding the event?
6. What does Cecil complain about when Mrs. Honeychurch hosts a garden party to introduce him?
7. What does the driver at the end of Chapter 20 symbolize?
8. Why is Lucy shocked to learn her kiss with George appears in Miss Lavish's novel?
9. When Mrs. Honeychurch meets the Emersons at church, Lucy realizes George and her parents would most likely get along. Why is this significant?
10. Why is Miss Lavish interested in the experience Lucy has with the dying man?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The position of womanhood in society is explained at the beginning of Chapter 4. Lucy is described as caught between being medieval and modern, two very different lifestyles.
1) Describe the difference between these two categories.
2) Cite three examples from the novel where Lucy is considered medieval or modern.
3) Based on the society Lucy lives in, which is the more appropriate lifestyle for Lucy to follow?
Essay Topic 2
Location is used as a literary device throughout "A Room with a View". The novel opens in Florence, Italy, a city world-renowned for its beauty and passion. Discuss the various locations throughout the novel and how they serve to mirror the internal transformations that are taking place inside of Lucy.
Essay Topic 3
What is Miss Bartlett's attitude towards men? How does Miss Bartlett's opinion of men affect Lucy? Are there examples in the story where Lucy is similar in her attitude towards men? What are they?
This section contains 742 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)