|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Lucy and Miss Bartlett complain about at their meal?
(a) There are too many British people.
(b) All answers are correct.
(c) The food is not good.
(d) Neither woman received a room with a view.
2. What does Mr. Emerson show Lucy at the church?
(a) A gilded cross.
(c) The holy grail.
(d) A secret passage.
3. What level of gratitude does Miss Bartlett demonstrate to George when accepting the room?
(a) She is barely grateful.
(b) She bursts into tears.
(c) She is warmly grateful.
(d) She is effusive in her thanks.
4. Miss Bartlett gives Phaeton what to keep silent about the encounter between Lucy and George?
(a) Bread and wine.
(b) The carriage.
(c) A coin.
(d) A kiss.
5. What is the Modern woman said to want?
6. During the group ride back from the country, the ride must halt for what?
(a) A fallen tree.
(b) The weather.
(c) The driver's illness.
(d) A high riverbed.
7. What does Lucy try to do after fainting?
(a) Walk home alone.
(b) Have tea in the Piazza.
(c) Go dancing.
(d) Send for a horse.
8. What is Miss Alan's latest novel about?
(b) Florence and its inhabitants.
(c) Modern Italy.
(d) Italian delicacies.
9. When Miss Bartlett bids George good-night, what does he say in return?
(b) "Give my best to Lucy."
(c) "I appreciate your counsel."
10. What does Lucy make George promise?
(a) To tell the police what happened in the Piazza.
(b) To tell Miss Alan what happened in the Piazza.
(c) To invite Lucy to a dance that weekend.
(d) To not tell anyone at the Pension about the event at the Piazza.
11. What does Mr. Eager say about Mr. Emerson's former wife?
(a) That Mrs. Emerson is much more intelligent than Mr. Emerson.
(b) That Mrs. Emerson had a bad reputation.
(c) That Mr. Emerson killed his wife in the eyes of God.
(d) That Mrs. Emerson did not love her husband.
12. Why does Miss Bartlett say George cannot be trusted?
(a) George is melancholy.
(b) George has a past.
(c) George is a man.
(d) George is a known liar.
13. At the church, Lucy tells Mr. Emerson that George should do what, upon hearing of his unhappiness?
(a) Pray more often.
(b) Leave town.
(c) Find a hobby.
(d) Go to confession.
14. When Lucy faints, she awakens in the arms of whom?
(b) Mr. Beebe.
(c) Miss Alan.
(d) Mr. Emerson.
15. What are Lucy and Miss Lavish looking for?
(a) The church of Santa Croce.
(b) The Dome of Florence.
(c) The statue of David.
(d) Michelangelo's home.
Short Answer Questions
1. During the group ride out to the country, what type of conversation do Miss Lavish and Mr. Eager share?
2. Is the proposal Lucy receives her first proposal from this suitor?
3. Miss Bartlett makes Lucy promise to keep the kiss a secret from whom?
4. What city does the first part of the novel take place in?
5. What does Lucy feel about Miss Bartlett's actions towards George?
This section contains 543 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)