Short Essay Questions Key
1. The first chapter of Room with a View is set in Florence, Italy. What type of city is Florence and why might this have been chosen as the setting?
2. What aspects of society does the character Miss Bartlett represent?
3. In the beginning of Chapter 1, there is much offense taken between the characters. Who is offended and why?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, the Emersons have a room with a view. Why are the Emersons willing to sacrifice this room?
5. What does the word "muddle" mean and who is it often used to describe?
6. When Lucy gets lost in Chapter 2, what is the end result? Why is this significant?
7. Why does Mr. Emerson express pity for Lucy in Chapter 2?
8. What does Mr. Emerson suggest to Lucy regarding the character George?
This section contains 1,039 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)