|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The narrator says that "money dignifies what is __________ if unpaid for."
2. To what does the narrator refer as a "complex force?"
3. According to the narrator, Austen, Bronte, and others wrote as ________ wrote, not as men did.
(c) Human beings.
4. What is the date at the beginning of Chapter 6?
(a) May 1, 1908.
(b) April 5, 1776.
(c) December 25, 1954.
(d) October 26, 1928.
5. Who does the narrator give as an example of someone who wrote with both sides of his brain?
6. What phrase in Carmichael's novel startles the narrator and starts her reflection on women as characters?
(a) "Chloe liked Olivia."
(b) "I like men."
(c) "The women were angry."
(d) "Chloe loved Roger."
7. At the end of her research, whose books does the narrator come to?
(a) The living.
(b) Her own.
8. John Langdon Davies said that women become unnecessary when children become ________.
9. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
(a) Her husband.
(b) Lady Dudley.
(c) Dorothy's father.
(d) Lord Dudley.
10. According to the narrator, Elizabethan literature would have been very different if women had begun writing in what century?
11. The narrator contemplates the "unity of the ______" as she observes the rhythm of life on the streets below.
(c) Human race.
12. What does Woolf list as examples of excuses women will use not to write?
(a) Lack of money.
(b) Lack of opportunity.
(c) Lack of training.
(d) All of the above.
13. What does the narrator use as a less offensive word for "vanities?"
14. What did Jane Austen do to hide her manuscripts as she wrote them?
(a) Pinned them to her dress.
(b) Covered them with blotting paper.
(c) Hid them under a book.
(d) Burned them.
15. The narrator encourages the audience to "earn 500 a year" by using what?
(a) Their talent.
(b) Their investments.
(c) Their bodies.
(d) Their wits.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator states that when a book lacks suggestive power, it cannot penetrate _______.
2. For how much did Bronte sell the copyright of her novels?
3. In the case of Charlotte Bronte, what does the narrator claim Bronte's gender interfered with?
4. What element of Jane Austen's does Carmichael "break up?"
5. What three things are brought together by the "stream" of life on the street?
This section contains 425 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)