|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was Behn's first name?
2. The writing of the Duchess compares the lives of women to those of what animals?
(c) All of the above.
3. The narrator claims that the _________ with which men write is incomprehensible to women.
4. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
(a) Curds and whey.
(b) Sugar and butter.
5. In terms of fiction, what things did society deem more important than women's feelings?
(a) Men's thoughts.
(b) Battle scenes.
(c) Love scenes.
(d) Social causes.
6. What occupation are Chloe and Olivia engaged in?
(a) Curing cancer.
(b) Sewing uniforms.
(c) Building a house.
(d) Mincing liver.
7. What things does Carmichael not possess enough of, according to the narrator?
(a) All of the above.
8. John Langdon Davies said that women become unnecessary when children become ________.
9. Of what social class was Behn?
10. What, according to the narrator, has given women wider range in fiction?
(a) Humor and hard work.
(b) Persistence and advocacy.
(d) Reading and criticism.
11. In what century does the narrator believe women finally became complex characters in fiction?
12. What, according to the narrator, is it fatal for anyone who writes to do?
(a) Write poetry.
(b) Get too emotional.
(c) Misspell a word.
(d) Think of their sex.
13. About whom does the narrator say "she wrote as a woman, but as a woman who has forgotten that she is a woman?"
(a) Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Mary Carmichael.
(d) Jane Austen.
14. What does the narrator say is hard to measure?
(b) Her own intelligence.
(c) A woman.
(d) A man's education.
15. The narrator contemplates the "unity of the ______" as she observes the rhythm of life on the streets below.
(d) Human race.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Jane Austen do to hide her manuscripts as she wrote them?
2. What is the date at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. When reading the man's novel, what does the narrator feel overshadows it?
4. What virtues did Behn posses, according to the narrator?
5. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
This section contains 392 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)