|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose point of view takes over for the narrator at the end of Chapter 6?
(a) Professor X.
(b) Jane Austen.
(c) Woolf herself.
(d) An Oxbridge student.
2. The writing of the Duchess compares the lives of women to those of what animals?
(d) All of the above.
3. One objection that Woolf addresses to her narrative is that she is being too _________ in her arguments.
4. What, according to the narrator, has given women wider range in fiction?
(a) Humor and hard work.
(b) Reading and criticism.
(d) Persistence and advocacy.
5. To what does Woolf compare Fascist poetry?
(a) An abortion.
(b) A storm.
(c) A disease.
(d) A sewer.
6. The narrator says that "money dignifies what is __________ if unpaid for."
7. Who is the author of Jane Eyre?
(b) Virginia Woolf.
(c) Charlotte Bronte.
(d) Jane Austen.
8. What virtues did Behn posses, according to the narrator?
(b) All of the above.
9. At the end of her research, whose books does the narrator come to?
(c) The living.
(d) Her own.
10. In what month was Mary Carmichael's book published?
11. The narrator says that Dorothy Osborne had a talent for what?
(a) Framing a sentence.
(d) Inventing a word.
12. According to the narrator, Elizabethan literature would have been very different if women had begun writing in what century?
13. Who does the narrator describe as "whimsically despotic?"
(a) Her husband.
(b) Dorothy's father.
(c) Lord Dudley.
(d) Lady Dudley.
14. In what year was Lady Winchilsea born?
15. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
(c) Curds and whey.
(d) Sugar and butter.
Short Answer Questions
1. For how much did Bronte sell the copyright of her novels?
2. What kind of writer is Mr. B?
3. According to the narrator, Lady Winchilsea's mind has not become _________.
4. What does the narrator find awkward about Carmichael's writing?
5. The narrator encourages the audience to "earn 500 a year" by using what?
This section contains 343 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)