|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Behn start writing for money?
(a) Her husband lost his job.
(b) Her husband died.
(c) She was discovered by an agency.
(d) She started a newspaper.
2. With which side of their brains does the narrator say men are now writing?
(a) The female sight.
(b) The left side.
(c) The male side.
(d) The right side.
3. What virtues did Behn posses, according to the narrator?
(d) All of the above.
4. How does the narrator address Carmichael?
(b) As if she were in the room with her.
(c) As if she were dead.
5. What, according to the narrator, were the relationships between those who have sought the company of women NOT?
6. What does the narrator say is hard to measure?
(b) Her own intelligence.
(c) A woman.
(d) A man's education.
7. What is the name of one of the characters in the man's book that the narrator reads as a follow-up to her studies of books by women?
8. Dorothy Osborne claims that she would not resort to fiction even if she couldn't ________.
9. In terms of fiction, what things did society deem more important than women's feelings?
(a) Battle scenes.
(b) Men's thoughts.
(c) Love scenes.
(d) Social causes.
10. In what year was Lady Winchilsea born?
11. What name does the narrator give to the male author she reads after reading so many novels by women?
(a) Mr. X.
(b) Mr. A.
(c) Professor D.
(d) Marc B.
12. In how many years does the narrator expect for writers like Carmichael to become great?
13. In talking about Carmichael's novel, what does the narrator find herself slipping "unthinkably" into?
(a) Praise of her own sex.
(d) Respect for a female writer.
14. The narrator states that when a book lacks suggestive power, it cannot penetrate _______.
(b) The world.
(c) The mind.
(d) A woman's heart.
15. Which gender does the narrator say is to blame for the current state of fiction?
Short Answer Questions
1. Woolf points out that most great male writers were not ______.
2. The narrator encourages the audience to "earn 500 a year" by using what?
3. The effect of masculinity upon poetry is different from its effect on the _____.
4. What is lacking in Carmichael's writing, according to the narrator?
5. The narrator says that Dorothy Osborne had a talent for what?
This section contains 399 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)