|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why did Behn start writing for money?
(a) She was discovered by an agency.
(b) She started a newspaper.
(c) Her husband died.
(d) Her husband lost his job.
2. According to the narrator, what holds a novel together?
(b) The characters.
(d) The author.
3. For how much did Bronte sell the copyright of her novels?
(a) 500 pounds.
(b) 5,000 dollars.
(c) 1,500 pounds.
(d) Six pence.
4. The narrator contemplates the "unity of the ______" as she observes the rhythm of life on the streets below.
(d) Human race.
5. What trait, claims the narrator, has now become self-conscious?
6. Woolf points out that most great male writers were not ______.
7. The narrator says that "money dignifies what is __________ if unpaid for."
8. When reading the man's novel, what does the narrator feel overshadows it?
(a) The letter "B."
(b) Her self-consciousness.
(c) The author's name.
(d) The letter "I."
9. In what genre were women denied the most expression?
10. Woolf claims that talent cannot be weighed like _________.
(a) Sugar and butter.
(c) Curds and whey.
11. What three things are brought together by the "stream" of life on the street?
(a) A man, a woman, and a child.
(b) A man, a woman, and a taxicab.
(c) A child, a balloon, and a clown.
(d) A man, a woman, and a bus.
12. About what does the narrator claim "almost without exception they are shown in their relation to men."
(a) Lessons in truth.
(b) Shakespeare's plays.
(c) Contemporary works of fiction.
(d) Female characters.
13. In what year was Lady Winchilsea born?
14. What age does the narrator say has been the most sex-conscious?
(a) Her own.
(b) The Elizabethans.
(c) The Golden Age.
(d) The Romantics.
15. What was the name of Jane Austen's great novel?
(a) War and Peace.
(b) Gone With the Wind.
(c) The Visitor.
(d) Pride and Prejudice.
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator says that "the majority of women are neither _______ nor courtesans."
2. To what does Woolf compare Fascist poetry?
3. According to the narrator, Austen, Bronte, and others wrote as ________ wrote, not as men did.
4. To what physical trait does the narrator compare these vanities?
5. What does the narrator say is hard to measure?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)