|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Woolf compare Fascist poetry?
(a) A storm.
(b) A disease.
(c) An abortion.
(d) A sewer.
2. Who does the narrator give as an example of someone who wrote with both sides of his brain?
3. What is Carmichael's novel called?
(a) A Tale of Two Cities.
(b) Life's Adventure.
(c) Women and Fiction.
(d) My Story.
4. In what year was Lady Winchilsea born?
5. What is lacking in Carmichael's writing, according to the narrator?
6. What was the "genre" of Dorothy Osborne's writing?
7. In what century does the narrator believe women finally became complex characters in fiction?
8. What did Jane Austen do to hide her manuscripts as she wrote them?
(a) Covered them with blotting paper.
(b) Hid them under a book.
(c) Pinned them to her dress.
(d) Burned them.
9. To what physical trait does the narrator compare these vanities?
(a) A few too many pounds on the hips.
(b) A wart.
(c) A pimple.
(d) A dark spot at the back of the head.
10. In what genre were women denied the most expression?
11. What, according to the narrator, is it fatal for anyone who writes to do?
(a) Get too emotional.
(b) Think of their sex.
(c) Write poetry.
(d) Misspell a word.
12. About whom does the narrator say "she wrote as a woman, but as a woman who has forgotten that she is a woman?"
(a) Mary Carmichael.
(b) Charlotte Bronte.
(c) Jane Austen.
13. What reaction does the predominance of the perceived "shadow" cause in the narrator as she reads the man's novel in Chapter 6?
14. Dorothy Osborne claims that she would not resort to fiction even if she couldn't ________.
15. What phrase in Carmichael's novel startles the narrator and starts her reflection on women as characters?
(a) "Chloe liked Olivia."
(b) "Chloe loved Roger."
(c) "I like men."
(d) "The women were angry."
Short Answer Questions
1. Up until Behn, what did female writers lack?
2. The narrator says that "money dignifies what is __________ if unpaid for."
3. What age does the narrator say has been the most sex-conscious?
4. One objection that Woolf addresses to her narrative is that she is being too _________ in her arguments.
5. Why did Behn start writing for money?
This section contains 403 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)