|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Jane Austen do to hide her manuscripts as she wrote them?
(a) Pinned them to her dress.
(b) Covered them with blotting paper.
(c) Burned them.
(d) Hid them under a book.
2. The writing of the Duchess compares the lives of women to those of what animals?
(a) All of the above.
3. What tone best describes the poetry of Lady Winchilsea?
4. What do Lady Winchilsea and Margaret of Newcastle have in common?
(a) They are both happy.
(b) They work at the same seamstress shop.
(c) They are married to the same man.
(d) They have no children.
5. According to the narrator, Lady Winchilsea's mind has not become _________.
6. The narrator says that "money dignifies what is __________ if unpaid for."
7. What does the narrator find awkward about Carmichael's writing?
(a) Her tone.
(b) Her vocabulary.
(c) Her style.
(d) Her story.
8. What did writing become with the example of Behn?
9. According to the narrator, Elizabethan literature would have been very different if women had begun writing in what century?
10. What age does the narrator say has been the most sex-conscious?
(a) The Golden Age.
(b) Her own.
(c) The Romantics.
(d) The Elizabethans.
11. What is lacking in Carmichael's writing, according to the narrator?
12. In what century does the narrator believe women finally became complex characters in fiction?
13. What does the narrator say is natural for the sexes to do?
14. In Carmichael's novel, what do Chloe and Olivia share?
(a) An apartment.
(b) A lover.
(c) An office.
(d) A laboratory.
15. The effect of masculinity upon poetry is different from its effect on the _____.
Short Answer Questions
1. As a metaphor for androgyny in writing, what does the narrator say poetry needs?
2. What name does the narrator give to the male author she reads after reading so many novels by women?
3. John Langdon Davies said that women become unnecessary when children become ________.
4. Why did Behn start writing for money?
5. What virtues did Behn posses, according to the narrator?
This section contains 391 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)