|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What topic has the narrator asked to lecture about?
(a) Women and books.
(b) Women and poetry.
(c) Women and men.
(d) Women and fiction.
2. What emotion sneaks up on the narrator while she is reading the Professor's work?
3. What does the narrator say that the women before her were doing instead of earning money?
(c) Raising children.
(d) Serving dinner.
4. According to the narrator, which animal lives the longest of all animals?
(a) The elephant.
(b) The anteater.
(c) The horse.
(d) The fish.
5. What does the narrator find fascinating about all the books written about women?
(a) That they are all 100 years old.
(b) That they are all so good.
(c) That there are so few available.
(d) That there are so many written by men.
6. How much income does the narrator receive per year?
(a) Ten million pounds.
(b) One thousand dollars.
(c) 500 pounds.
(d) One thousand pounds.
7. What does the narrator see that makes her laugh when looking out the window at the Oxbridge luncheon?
(a) A singing bird.
(b) A clumsy beadle.
(c) A kissing couple.
(d) A cat with no tail.
8. While reading the newspaper, what is the narrator reminded of?
(a) That England is full of women.
(b) That she is alone.
(c) That she has not done any work.
(d) That England is under the rule of a patriarchy.
9. How many children did "Mrs. Seton" have?
10. In what year were women granted the right to vote?
11. What object does the narrator think best exemplifies a woman's purpose for a man?
(a) A porcelain doll.
(b) A mule.
(c) A garden tool.
(d) A mirror.
12. What is the name of the men's college visited by the narrator?
13. What does the narrator say about Shakespeare's mother?
(a) She was overbearing.
(b) She was ugly.
(c) She was cruel.
(d) She was an heiress.
14. What is the name of the stage manager who gets Shakespeare's fictional sister pregnant?
(a) Nick Greene.
(b) Lars Ulster.
(c) Lord Byron.
(d) Hugh Smith.
15. What are the beadles doing as the narrator leaves the men's college?
(a) Chasing her out.
(b) Locking the gates.
(c) Cutting the grass.
(d) Serving dinner.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the age of Shakespeare, what does the narrator claim it would have been impossible for women to do?
2. According to the narrator, in relation to her husband, what was a woman prior to the women's movement?
3. The narrator claims to be seeking "the essential oil of _________" in the museum.
4. During which month does the narrator visit the two colleges?
5. Woolf claims that "the truer the facts the better the _______________."
This section contains 432 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)