|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. While reading the newspaper, what is the narrator reminded of?
(a) That England is under the rule of a patriarchy.
(b) That she is alone.
(c) That England is full of women.
(d) That she has not done any work.
2. What is one thing the narrator compares the big city she is visiting to?
(a) A black hole.
(b) A machine.
(c) A retreat.
(d) A circus.
3. Who does the narrator find herself envious of in the museum?
(a) Her husband.
(b) The person reading next to her.
(c) A fly on the wall.
(d) Her friend Mary.
4. According to the narrator, men have often compared the idea of women creating anything like fiction or music to what?
(a) A blind man reading a book.
(b) A dog walking on its hind legs.
(c) A dead person coming back to life.
(d) A man wearing a dress.
5. According to the narrator, "Women do not write books about ______."
6. Where does the narrator go after visiting Oxbridge and Fernham?
7. According to the narrator, how did Shakespeare get his start in the theater?
(a) By cleaning the auditorium.
(b) By holding horses at the stage door.
(c) By paying someone to give him a part in a play.
(d) By writing plays for actors.
8. Whose influence is all over the paper, and is "the power and the money and the influence," metaphorically?
(a) The angry professor.
(b) The narrator's own.
9. Which word best describes the food at the Oxbridge luncheon?
10. Where does the narrator go after leaving the museum?
(a) To the college.
(b) To have lunch.
(d) To her mother's house.
11. What are the beadles doing as the narrator leaves the men's college?
(a) Cutting the grass.
(b) Chasing her out.
(c) Locking the gates.
(d) Serving dinner.
12. Which museum does the narrator visit in Chapter 2?
(a) The Met.
(b) The Smithsonian.
(c) British Museum.
(d) Modern Museum.
13. The narrator finds that the woman "is all but absent from ________."
14. What is the title of the work by the angry Professor von X.?
(a) The Mental, Moral, and Physical Inferiority of the Female Sex.
(b) Men are From Mars, Women are From Venus.
(c) Women and Men.
(d) Women and Fiction.
15. To the narrator, excluding women from history makes it seem "unreal" and "________."
Short Answer Questions
1. The narrator wants to know, among other things, why woman are __________ than/to men.
2. What design is on the china at the women's college?
3. What year is this story set in?
4. According to the narrator, how do we achieve self-confidence?
5. The narrator claims to be seeking "the essential oil of _________" in the museum.
This section contains 449 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)