|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What era does the narrator pay particular attention to when looking into women in history?
(a) Roaring Twenties.
2. In Chapter 2, what bill does the narrator give the waiter to pay for her meal?
(a) Five shilling.
(b) Ten shilling.
(c) One dollar.
(d) One hundred dollar.
3. The narrator claims that "nothing is known about women before the _________ century."
4. What subject does the narrator's friend teach at the women's college?
5. According to the narrator, what animal has the most eyes of all the animals?
(a) The wasp.
(b) The horse.
(c) The fish.
(d) The spider.
6. While thinking about the Professor's work, what does the narrator find herself doing?
(a) Drawing a picture of the Professor.
(b) Tearing the pages of a book.
(c) Falling asleep.
7. The narrator claims to be seeking "the essential oil of _________" in the museum.
8. According to the narrator, what does a woman with creative talent inevitably lose?
(a) Her lover.
(b) Her talent.
(c) Her mind.
(d) Her life.
9. What does the narrator suspect that men are concerned with even more than women's inferiority?
(a) Their money.
(b) Women's beauty.
(c) Their own superiority.
(d) World events.
10. What color is "the light of truth?"
11. To the narrator, excluding women from history makes it seem "unreal" and "________."
12. What did women writers do before the eighteenth century to disguise their genders?
(a) Wrote under a man's name.
(b) Burned books in libraries.
(c) Wore hats.
(d) Never published their work.
13. According to the narrator, men have often compared the idea of women creating anything like fiction or music to what?
(a) A blind man reading a book.
(b) A man wearing a dress.
(c) A dog walking on its hind legs.
(d) A dead person coming back to life.
14. What was the cost of founding the women's college?
(a) Two million dollars.
(b) Sixty thousand dollars.
(c) Five hundred pounds.
(d) Thirty-thousand pounds.
15. Where does the narrator spend the hour she has to spare before lunch at Oxbridge?
(a) In front of the chapel.
(b) In the swimming pool.
(c) In the library.
(d) At home.
Short Answer Questions
1. How much income does the narrator receive per year?
2. What are the beadles doing as the narrator leaves the men's college?
3. What does the narrator wonder about Shakespeare as she looks for answers in his tragedies?
4. How does Shakespeare's fictional sister die?
5. What heading does the narrator place on the page of notes she is taking while researching "women and fiction?"
This section contains 464 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)