|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which word best describes the food at the Oxbridge luncheon?
2. In the age of Shakespeare, what does the narrator claim it would have been impossible for women to do?
(a) Attend college.
(b) Write the plays of Shakespeare.
(c) Get a cat.
(d) Marry into money.
3. In the fictional tale of Shakespeare's sister, how old is she when she leaves home?
(b) Not yet seventeen.
(d) Almost twenty.
4. What does the narrator compare to a fish as she sits thinking by the river bank?
(a) The school.
(b) A thought.
(d) Her husband.
5. What female poet does the narrator recite to herself when leaving the luncheon, thinking that women must have hummed at parties before the war?
Short Answer Questions
1. What could happen to a woman who refused to marry the man her parents chose for her prior to the 19th century?
2. Which word best describes the food served at the Fernham dinner?
3. What, does the narrator claim, is "worse than being locked out?"
4. What did women writers do before the eighteenth century to disguise their genders?
5. What is the name of the stage manager who gets Shakespeare's fictional sister pregnant?
This section contains 251 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)