|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many vaccinations does the doctor give to Jack on his first morning at the hospital in "After"?
2. What do Jack and Ma have for breakfast on the day that they will enact Plan B in "Dying"?
3. What is the name of Grandma's husband?
4. For how long does Ma say that Jack has been sick when Old Nick arrives in "Dying"?
5. What month has begun in "Dying"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack feel about the change in routines in "After"?
2. What steps do Ma and Jack take when they begin to enact their first escape plan in "Dying"?
3. How is the setting described when Jack and Ma arrive at the police station in "After"? What takes place in this setting?
4. What are some of the ideas that Jack and Ma have for escape when they begin brainstorming?
5. What is notable about Old Nick's reaction when he believes that Jack is dead?
6. What does Officer Oh ask Jack when she meets him? Why?
7. What is significant about Jack's newfound desire to go Outside in the beginning of "Dying"?
8. What are some of the questions Ma is asked during her television interview in "After"?
9. What is the first plan that Ma develops for escape in "Dying"?
10. Who is the lawyer Ma meets with in "After"? What does he tell Ma?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the daily routines of Jack and Ma in Room. Why do you think that Ma has created such a structured routine for her and her son? What activities does Ma include in their routines that encourage physical and mental growth for Jack? In what ways is Ma limited in this regard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of family in Room. What does family mean to Jack, to Ma, and to Ma's family? Why do you think that Ma has always been open about being adopted? How does Ma's relationship with her parents change after she's escaped confinement?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think that Ma attempts suicide in the hospital while Jack is away? Why do you think that Ma did not attempt suicide prior to this point, when she and Jack were trapped in Room? How does Ma's suicide attempt affect Jack?
This section contains 1,010 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)