|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote and illustrated The Very Hungry Caterpillar?
2. For how long does Ma say that Jack has been sick when Old Nick arrives in "Dying"?
3. Who wrote The Lorax?
4. What does the doctor give to Ma when he greets Ma and Jack at the hospital in "After"?
5. What name does Jack call himself as he escapes in "Dying"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Ma and Jack go about enacting "Plan B" in "Dying"?
2. How would you describe Jack's first encounter with Outside in "Dying"?
3. What does Officer Oh ask Jack when she meets him? Why?
4. What is significant about Jack's newfound desire to go Outside in the beginning of "Dying"?
5. What are some of the questions Ma is asked during her television interview in "After"?
6. How does Jack feel about the change in routines in "After"?
7. What are some of the ideas that Jack and Ma have for escape when they begin brainstorming?
8. What causes Jack distress about the shower in "After"?
9. How is Ma described when Jack discovers her after his outing with Paul in "After"?
10. How are Ma and Jack received when they arrive at the Cumberland Clinic in "After"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Ma and Jack's experiences at the police headquarters after their escape. What questions is Ma asked? How does she respond? Where is Ma given a physical evaluation and what is found during the evaluation? How does Ma respond when the doctors want to examine Jack? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ma's relationship with Grandma in the novel. When does Grandma first come to see Ma and Jack after their escape? What does Jack think of Grandma? How does his relationship with Grandma grow in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the author's use of irony in Room. How is dramatic irony a major element in the narrative? How are verbal and situational irony employed? What purpose does irony serve in the narrative?
This section contains 970 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)