|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Ma smear all over Jack before Old Nick arrives in "Dying"?
2. Who wrote an illustrated the book The Giving Tree?
3. What does Ma tell Jack he'll be wearing when he escapes in "Dying"?
4. What does Old Nick do when the stranger says he's got his plates in "Dying"?
5. Who wrote and illustrated The Very Hungry Caterpillar?
Short Essay Questions
1. What causes Jack distress about the shower in "After"?
2. How does Jack feel about the change in routines in "After"?
3. What is related to Ma regarding the clinic in "After"? How does Ma respond to her surroundings at the police headquarters?
4. How is Ma described when Jack discovers her after his outing with Paul in "After"?
5. What is significant about Jack's newfound desire to go Outside in the beginning of "Dying"?
6. What steps do Ma and Jack take when they begin to enact their first escape plan in "Dying"?
7. What is the "Plan B" that Ma develops in "Dying"?
8. What do Ma and Grandma discuss during Grandma's first visit in "After"?
9. What does Ma do to Jack in order to make their "act" belivable for their first escape plan?
10. What are some of the ideas that Jack and Ma have for escape when they begin brainstorming?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe and discuss Jack's first experiences Outside. How does Jack manage to escape from Old Nick? Whom does he encounter when he escapes? How does Jack manage to lead the police to find Ma in Room?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the daily routines of Jack and Ma in Room. Why do you think that Ma has created such a structured routine for her and her son? What activities does Ma include in their routines that encourage physical and mental growth for Jack? In what ways is Ma limited in this regard?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the themes of abuse and sacrifice in Room. How are these themes developed through character, action, symbolism, and imagery in the narrative? What are some of the sacrifices that Ma makes for Jack, and vice versa? How has Ma managed to cope with abuse for so long?
This section contains 1,040 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)