|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Jack and Ma eat for lunch after the power has gone out in "Unlying"?
2. What does Jack make Ma a bracelet from in "Unlying"?
3. What cartoon does Jack watch at 8:30 in "Presents"?
4. What animal does Jack discover in the kitchen in "Presents"?
5. What does Jack decide to wear on his birthday in "Presents"?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Jack define "real" and "pretend" in "Presents"?
2. What is significant about Jack using beet juice as paint in the novel?
3. What are Ma and Old Nick arguing about when Jack overhears them from the wardrobe in "Unlying"?
4. What happend when Jack requests that Ma read Dylan the Digger in "Unlying"?
5. How do Jack and Ma manage to "create" toys when they are trapped in Room?
6. How would you describe Ma's relationship to religion in "Presents"?
7. What does Ma give Jack for his birthday in "Presents"? What does Jack do with his gift?
8. How does Ma explain "Outside" to Jack in "Unlying"?
9. What "gift" does Old Nick offer Jack when he's in the wardrobe in "Unlying"? Why does Jack not take the gift?
10. How does Jack describe shows on the television in "Presents"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Ma's relationship with Grandma in the novel. When does Grandma first come to see Ma and Jack after their escape? What does Jack think of Grandma? How does his relationship with Grandma grow in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think that Ma attempts suicide in the hospital while Jack is away? Why do you think that Ma did not attempt suicide prior to this point, when she and Jack were trapped in Room? How does Ma's suicide attempt affect Jack?
Essay Topic 3
Describe and discuss Jack's first experiences Outside. How does Jack manage to escape from Old Nick? Whom does he encounter when he escapes? How does Jack manage to lead the police to find Ma in Room?
This section contains 920 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)