|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Old Nick offer to Jack as he hides in the wardrobe in "Unlying"?
2. What does Jack eat for lunch when Ma is "Gone" in "Unlying"?
3. What do Jack and Ma have for dinner on Sunday in "Unlying"?
4. Approximately how large is the room where Jack and Ma are held captive?
5. What band released the song "Tubthumping"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Jack's breakfast with Ma on his birthday in "Presents." What does Jack eat?
2. What does Ma give Jack for his birthday in "Presents"? What does Jack do with his gift?
3. What does Ma tell Jack about the television in "Presents"?
4. What happend when Jack requests that Ma read Dylan the Digger in "Unlying"?
5. What are Ma and Old Nick arguing about when Jack overhears them from the wardrobe in "Unlying"?
6. How does Ma compare herself to Alice in Wonderland in "Unlying"?
7. How does Jack describe shows on the television in "Presents"?
8. How does Jack define "real" and "pretend" in "Presents"?
9. What do Ma and Jack do after television time in "Presents"?
10. What "gift" does Old Nick offer Jack when he's in the wardrobe in "Unlying"? Why does Jack not take the gift?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the daily routines of Jack and Ma in Room. Why do you think that Ma has created such a structured routine for her and her son? What activities does Ma include in their routines that encourage physical and mental growth for Jack? In what ways is Ma limited in this regard?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Ma's relationship with Grandma in the novel. When does Grandma first come to see Ma and Jack after their escape? What does Jack think of Grandma? How does his relationship with Grandma grow in the course of the novel?
Essay Topic 3
What events lead up to Ma telling Jack the truth about her abduction in "Unlying"? How does Ma define "unlying" in this chapter? Why has Ma chosen now to tell Jack the truth? How does Jack cope with Ma's story?
This section contains 953 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)