|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What bedtime story does Ma tell Jack in "Presents"?
(a) Mary Mary Quite Contrary.
(b) Humpty Dumpty.
(d) Little Bo Peep.
2. On what day of the week do Ma and Jack do laundry?
3. What material does Jack describe Door being made of in "Presents"?
(a) "Heavy dark glass."
(b) "Heavy willow wood."
(c) "Shiny magic metal."
(d) "Smooth oak wood."
4. How does Jack describe the book cover of The Shack in "Unlying"?
(a) "A spooky house and all white snow."
(b) "A spooky man with a white beard."
(c) "A summer scene in a small village."
(d) "A tree standing alone in an icy field."
5. Who does Ma compare herself to when she explains her captivity to Jack?
(a) Alice in Wonderland.
(b) The Pink Panther.
(c) Anne Frank.
(d) Spongebob Squarepants.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Jack eat for breakfast on the morning after his birthday in "Presents"?
2. On what days of the week do Ma and Jack clean their room?
3. How old has Jack turned on his birthday in "Presents"?
4. What are Jack and Ma eating for breakfast in the beginning of "Unlying"?
5. What upsets Jack about his birthday cake in "Presents"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ma's "Bad Tooth" symbolize in the narrative?
2. What do Ma and Jack do after television time in "Presents"?
3. What fears does Ma face when the electricity is cut off in "Unlying"?
4. What does Ma tell Jack about the television in "Presents"?
5. Why do you think that Ma flips the lights on and off before going to bed?
6. How does Ma explain "Outside" to Jack in "Unlying"?
7. How would you describe Jack's manner of speaking? How is this reflected in the language styel of the story?
8. Describe the activity called "Scream" in the narrative. Why do Jack and Ma engage in this activity?
9. What are Ma and Old Nick arguing about when Jack overhears them from the wardrobe in "Unlying"?
10. What is significant about Jack using beet juice as paint in the novel?
This section contains 941 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)