|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Jagger?
2. What type of disposition does Casey have?
3. Which organizations have territorial battles in the story?
4. Where does Billy live?
5. What is Ozaki?
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Ronin treated when he shows up for food at the Army food bank?
2. What is the relationship like between Peter and Casey?
3. What does the Aquarius Complex look like in Chapter 4?
4. Whose well-being does Ronin put first in Chapter 3? Why?
5. Who is the old hippie that Ronin meets at the end of Chapter 2?
6. Describe Billy.
7. Describe Ozaki.
8. What does Packrat want to use Ronin for?
9. Why does Mr. Taggart want Casey's men to only use tasers on Ronin?
10. What type of relationship do Billy and Virgo share?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The line art in Ronin changes at different times throughout the story. Certain characters are drawn one way and then drawn differently later on. Write an essay that explores the author's use of creative line art. Which characters are drawn differently at different parts of the story? Why are they drawn differently? What other types of things does the changing line art enhance? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
There are many symbols emphasized throughout the story of Ronin. The Bloodsword is one of them. Write an essay that addresses some of the other symbols in the story. What are these symbols and why are they important? What do they represent? How do these symbols and ideas play into the plot of the story? Are these symbolic subjects the same throughout the course of the plot, or do their meanings evolve? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Race is a topic covered many times throughout the story. Right from the beginning, Ronin is called a racial slur when he visits the Army food kitchen. Write an essay that addresses the author's use of race in the story. Why is the use of racial slurs important to show aspects of Ronin's personality? What other racial groups are shown in the story and what is their purpose? What message is the author trying to convey by setting up intentionally tense situations between racial groups? Reference the novel to support your argument.
This section contains 741 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)