|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is Billy Challas?
2. Whose diary does the graphic novel open with?
3. Who is Peter?
4. Who is on the security footage that Casey reviews?
5. Who is Ozaki traveling with at the beginning of the story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Ronin not kill Casey when he has the chance?
2. What does the cityscape of New York look like in Ronin?
3. Whose well-being does Ronin put first in Chapter 3? Why?
4. What does Packrat want to use Ronin for?
5. Why is Billy's special mental ability useful to Aquarius Complex?
6. What does the Aquarius Complex look like in Chapter 4?
7. Why does Mr. Taggart want Casey's men to only use tasers on Ronin?
8. Why does Casey tell her security team that they should "have an open mind"?
9. What does Ronin do after he sees Casey get knocked unconscious?
10. How does Casey react when she realizes Virgo blew herself up on purpose?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The line art in Ronin changes at different times throughout the story. Certain characters are drawn one way and then drawn differently later on. Write an essay that explores the author's use of creative line art. Which characters are drawn differently at different parts of the story? Why are they drawn differently? What other types of things does the changing line art enhance? Explain your rationale by providing examples from the novel.
Essay Topic 2
Race is a topic covered many times throughout the story. Right from the beginning, Ronin is called a racial slur when he visits the Army food kitchen. Write an essay that addresses the author's use of race in the story. Why is the use of racial slurs important to show aspects of Ronin's personality? What other racial groups are shown in the story and what is their purpose? What message is the author trying to convey by setting up intentionally tense situations between racial groups? Reference the novel to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Sacrifice is an element important to the story of Ronin. Without it, many of the events and plot points of the story would not be possible. Write an essay that addresses how and why sacrifice is important in Ronin. Which characters sacrifice themselves in some way? How do they do it? What types of emotions does sacrifice invoke in the various characters in the Ronin story?
This section contains 737 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)