|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 5, the friar claims that Juliet is ___________.
2. What finally causes Romeo to fight?
3. What is Romeo doing at the start of Act 3, Scene 3?
4. In Act 4, Scene 3, Juliet asks the nurse to leave her alone _______________.
5. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
Short Essay Questions
1. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
2. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
3. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
4. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
5. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
6. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
7. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
8. Why does Romeo believe he can get the apothecary to sell him poison, though it is illegal?
9. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
10. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nurse in Romeo and Juliet first serves as a protector and confidante for Juliet. Later, she loses Juliet's trust. Consider her actions toward Romeo and Juliet, and write an essay in which you argue that the nurse either lets Juliet down, and is therefore to blame for events that transpire in the play, or that she is simply acting according to her character as we have seen throughout the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the language Shakespeare uses in the scene when Romeo and Juliet meet, the balcony scene, and their death scene. Write an essay in which you compare and/or contrast the images or symbols the characters use in each of these scenes.
Essay Topic 3
The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is set in Verona, Italy. Consider this setting as the background for the events of the play, and write an essay in which you argue for or against Verona, Italy, as a catalyst for events of the play. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 789 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)