|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet plans to do what?
2. Why has Friar John come to visit Friar Laurence in Act 5, Scene 2?
3. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
4. Before she falls unconscious, Juliet thinks she sees ______________.
5. Capulet calls the servant "loggerhead," which means __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
2. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
3. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
4. Why is Juliet so upset that Romeo is banished?
5. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
6. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
7. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
8. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
9. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
10. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Review Mercutio's statements when he is injured in Act III, Scene 1. His statements, "A plague o' both your houses," and "They have made worm's meat of me," place the blame for his death at the Montagues' and Capulets' doors. Write an essay in which you either defend, refute, or qualify Mercutio's accusations in Act III, Scene 1.
Essay Topic 2
Friar Laurence's role is integral to the events of Romeo and Juliet. Considering his actions, write an essay in which you determine which of Friar Laurence's actions cause the greatest effect on the outcome of the play.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 780 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)