|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The potion Juliet plans to take will do what?
2. When Romeo hears the news about Juliet, he plans to do what?
3. Friar Laurence plans to remedy the situation by doing what?
4. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
5. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
3. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
4. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
5. Why is Juliet so upset that Romeo is banished?
6. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
7. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
8. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
9. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
10. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider the female characters in Romeo and Juliet, and their roles in the events of the play. Write an essay in which you discuss any female character's significance to the events of the text.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the saying, "Those have most power to hurt us, that we love." After reviewing the many kinds of love in Romeo and Juliet, write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify the preceding statement using any relationship from the play to support your argument.
This section contains 772 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)