|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 4, Capulet tells Lady Capulet to do what?
2. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
3. At the end of Act 3, Scene 3, Romeo leaves the friar to do what?
4. Why has Friar John come to visit Friar Laurence in Act 5, Scene 2?
5. How does Juliet react to the nurse's suggestion that she marry Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
2. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
3. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
4. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
5. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
6. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
7. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
8. What does Juliet plan to do if the potion does not work?
9. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
10. Why is Juliet so upset that Romeo is banished?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Consider Benvolio's role as peacemaker in the play. Write an essay in which you argue for Benvolio's effectiveness as a character. Consider whether or not he is effective as peacemaker, and what purpose he might serve in the play.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Friar Laurence's role is integral to the events of Romeo and Juliet. Considering his actions, write an essay in which you determine which of Friar Laurence's actions cause the greatest effect on the outcome of the play.
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)