|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nurse arrives in Act 3, Scene 5 to tell Juliet what?
2. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
3. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
4. What does Lady Capulet plan to speak to Juliet about in the morning?
5. Why does Lady Capulet doubt Benvolio's version of the events of Act 3, Scene 1?
Essay Topic 1
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the language Shakespeare uses in the scene when Romeo and Juliet meet, the balcony scene, and their death scene. Write an essay in which you compare and/or contrast the images or symbols the characters use in each of these scenes.
Essay Topic 3
Consider Juliet's soliloquy in Act II, Scene 2, in which she asks the question, "What's in a name?" Write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify Juliet's idea that a name cannot define a person, using evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 1,181 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)