|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
2. Juliet claims she met Paris at the friar's cell and ____________.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, Juliet asks the nurse to leave her alone _______________.
4. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
5. At the end of Act 3, Scene 3, Romeo leaves the friar to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
2. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
3. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
4. Why does the Prince banish Romeo instead of ordering his death?
5. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
6. Why is Juliet so upset that Romeo is banished?
7. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
8. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
9. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
10. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Characters mature and change over the course of Romeo and Juliet. Choose any character and write an essay in which you track the character's development, noting the change between their initial behavior and any changes you observe over the course of the play.
Essay Topic 2
Romeo and Juliet are often idealized as the ultimate romantic young couple. After reading the play, write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify the notion that Romeo and Juliet are the ultimate teenage couple. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the language Shakespeare uses in the scene when Romeo and Juliet meet, the balcony scene, and their death scene. Write an essay in which you compare and/or contrast the images or symbols the characters use in each of these scenes.
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)