|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
2. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
3. Romeo finds relief from his anguish in Act 3, Scene 3 when _____________.
4. Who arrives to speak to Romeo and the friar in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Capulet is in a rush in Act 4, Scene 4 because ______________.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert F. Kennedy said, "Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live." Considering this quote, explain how The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet teaches its readers wisdom. Identify the events that qualify Romeo and Juliet as a tragedy according to Kennedy's definition.
Essay Topic 2
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
The nurse in Romeo and Juliet first serves as a protector and confidante for Juliet. Later, she loses Juliet's trust. Consider her actions toward Romeo and Juliet, and write an essay in which you argue that the nurse either lets Juliet down, and is therefore to blame for events that transpire in the play, or that she is simply acting according to her character as we have seen throughout the play.
This section contains 1,168 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)