|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
2. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
3. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
4. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
5. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
2. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
3. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
4. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
5. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
6. Why is Prince Escalus angry with the Montagues and Capulets?
7. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
8. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
9. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
10. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Robert F. Kennedy said, "Tragedy is a tool for the living to gain wisdom, not a guide by which to live." Considering this quote, explain how The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet teaches its readers wisdom. Identify the events that qualify Romeo and Juliet as a tragedy according to Kennedy's definition.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the figures available as guides for Romeo and Juliet, such as the nurse, the friar, Capulet, Montague, and the prince. Write an essay in which you identify any character as the most reliable and responsible guide for Romeo and Juliet. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
In an essay, compare Romeo and Juliet to another couple in literature, either tragic or otherwise. What makes Romeo and Juliet extraordinary or typical as a romantic couple in literature? Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
This section contains 801 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)