|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. After reviewing the Capulet servant's list, Benvolio discovers that _________________.
2. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
3. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
4. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
5. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Juliet's verbalized fears in Act 4, Scene 3 foreshadow upcoming events?
2. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
3. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
4. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
5. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
6. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
7. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
8. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
9. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
Essay Topic 1
Consider Benvolio's role as peacemaker in the play. Write an essay in which you argue for Benvolio's effectiveness as a character. Consider whether or not he is effective as peacemaker, and what purpose he might serve in the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider the many misunderstandings and ironies that surround the events in Romeo and Juliet. Write an essay in which you explain how these events contribute to the themes of the play. Use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 3
Romeo and Juliet are often idealized as the ultimate romantic young couple. After reading the play, write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify the notion that Romeo and Juliet are the ultimate teenage couple. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your claim.
This section contains 1,605 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)