|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
2. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
3. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
5. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
2. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
3. Why is the friar concerned about the intensity of Romeo and Juliet's love for one another?
4. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
5. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
6. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
7. Why is Prince Escalus angry with the Montagues and Capulets?
8. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
9. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
10. How is Romeo's love for Juliet different from his love for Rosaline, according to the Act 2 prologue?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The nurse in Romeo and Juliet first serves as a protector and confidante for Juliet. Later, she loses Juliet's trust. Consider her actions toward Romeo and Juliet, and write an essay in which you argue that the nurse either lets Juliet down, and is therefore to blame for events that transpire in the play, or that she is simply acting according to her character as we have seen throughout the play.
Essay Topic 2
Consider Benvolio's role as peacemaker in the play. Write an essay in which you argue for Benvolio's effectiveness as a character. Consider whether or not he is effective as peacemaker, and what purpose he might serve in the play.
Essay Topic 3
Reflect on Romeo's description of his love for Rosaline, then for Juliet. Write an essay in which you compare and/or contrast Romeo's behavior and dialogue in relation to his love for Rosaline and Juliet, arriving at a conclusion about the significance of his love for each girl in relation to the events of the play.
This section contains 776 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)