|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
2. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
4. Mercutio attempts to "conjure" Romeo by in Act 2, Scene 1 by doing what?
5. How does the word dignity in line 1 of the prologue suggest both houses are alike?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
2. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
3. How, in Act 2, scene 3, does the friar promise to assist Romeo?
4. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
5. What, according to the Act 1 prologue, will comprise the traffic of the stage?
6. Why is the friar concerned about the intensity of Romeo and Juliet's love for one another?
7. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
8. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
9. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
10. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet is set in Verona, Italy. Consider this setting as the background for the events of the play, and write an essay in which you argue for or against Verona, Italy, as a catalyst for events of the play. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your argument.
Essay Topic 2
Romeo and Juliet are often idealized as the ultimate romantic young couple. After reading the play, write an essay in which you defend, refute, or qualify the notion that Romeo and Juliet are the ultimate teenage couple. Be sure to use evidence from the text to support your claim.
Essay Topic 3
Consider the contrasting motifs of light and dark, or blindness and sight in Romeo and Juliet. Write an essay in which you explore the symbolic meanings of any two contrasting motifs in the play, discussing its contribution to the play's theme or themes.
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)