|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does Romeo visit the apothecary in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) He wants to buy poison to kill Paris.
(b) He wants to buy a potion to fake his own death.
(c) He wants to buy a potion to wake Juliet.
(d) He wants to buy poison so he can kill himself and be with Juliet.
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 3, Romeo leaves the friar to do what?
(a) Go visit Juliet.
(b) Go see the Prince.
(c) Go bury Mercutio.
(d) Go see his father.
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, Juliet compares her impatience to see Romeo to what?
(a) A sober-suited matron.
(b) A starry night.
(c) A child who has a new mansion.
(d) A child who has new robes but cannot wear them yet.
4. Juliet will not speak badly about Romeo even after he kills Tybalt because _________________.
(a) She does not believe the nurse.
(b) She knows Tybalt probably instigated the violence.
(c) He would be angry if he found out.
(d) He is her husband.
5. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
(b) The nurse.
(d) Lady Capulet.
Short Answer Questions
1. The friar suggests Juliet consent to the marriage with Paris in order to ________________.
2. Friar Laurence heads to the burial monument in Act 5, Scene 2 because _____________.
3. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
4. What proof does the Prince find for the events that took place?
5. In Act 4, Scene 5, the friar claims that Juliet is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
2. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
3. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
4. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
5. Why does the Prince banish Romeo instead of ordering his death?
6. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
7. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
8. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
9. How do Juliet's verbalized fears in Act 4, Scene 3 foreshadow upcoming events?
10. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
This section contains 838 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)