|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What news does Balthasar give Romeo at the beginning of Act 5?
(a) Juliet has faked her death.
(b) Juliet has married Paris.
(c) Juliet is dead.
(d) Juliet has left Verona.
2. In Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet hopes the friar was able to do what?
(a) Influence Juliet to marry Paris.
(b) Influence Juliet to become a nun.
(c) Warn Juliet that she will be disowned by her parents.
(d) Give Juliet a potion to help her sleep.
3. Why does Lady Capulet doubt Benvolio's version of the events of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Benvolio is a Montague, and she believes he is biased.
(b) Benvolio is a well-known liar.
(c) Benvolio has a reputation as a bully and a fighter.
(d) Benvolio is a Capulet, and she believes he is biased.
4. In Act 3, Scene 2, Juliet compares her impatience to see Romeo to what?
(a) A child who has a new mansion.
(b) A child who has new robes but cannot wear them yet.
(c) A sober-suited matron.
(d) A starry night.
5. What is the Prince's judgment for Romeo at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Prince sentences Romeo to death.
(b) The Prince forgives Romeo.
(c) The Prince sentences Romeo to live in prison.
(d) The Prince exiles Romeo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
2. Why does Romeo refuse to fight Tybalt?
3. Because Juliet finds Romeo dead, she _____________.
4. Juliet claims she would do all of the following to be with Romeo EXCEPT what?
5. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Juliet's verbalized fears in Act 4, Scene 3 foreshadow upcoming events?
2. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
3. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
5. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
6. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
7. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
8. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
9. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
10. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)