|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives to speak to Romeo and the friar in Act 3, Scene 3?
(b) Lady Capulet.
(c) The nurse.
2. When Romeo hears the news about Juliet, he plans to do what?
(a) Go back to Verona to seek revenge.
(b) Kill himself so he can be with her again.
(c) Beg the friar for poison in order to kill himself.
(d) Kill himself in front of the Capulets.
3. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
(a) The nurse.
(b) Lady Capulet.
4. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
(a) Juliet has confessed she does not love Paris.
(b) It is being rushed, and Capulet is unsure of Paris' character.
(c) It is being rushed, and Paris is not sure of Juliet's feelings.
(d) It has been postponed so many times, he is sure Juliet does not return his feelings.
5. Why is the apothecary hesitant to sell Romeo poison?
(a) It is against his morals.
(b) It is against the law.
(c) He does not have what Romeo needs.
(d) He is afraid Romeo will die.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
2. Because Juliet finds Romeo dead, she _____________.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, Juliet asks the nurse to leave her alone _______________.
4. Capulet calls the servant "loggerhead," which means __________.
5. Mercutio says the two houses have made "worm's meat" of him because ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
2. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
3. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
4. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
6. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
7. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
8. What does Juliet plan to do if the potion does not work?
9. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
10. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)