|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
(a) He did not trust Romeo with the letter.
(b) He was told Romeo was ill and could not have visitors.
(c) He was afraid to visit a town with an infectious pestilence.
(d) He was quarantined due to an infectious illness in the town.
2. Friar Laurence arrives in Act 5, Scene 3 _______________.
(a) Before Romeo dies, but after Juliet kills herself.
(b) Before Romeo and Juliet die.
(c) After Romeo dies, but before Juliet kills herself.
(d) After Romeo and Juliet kill themselves.
3. Finally, at the end of Act 4, Scene 4, Capulet tells the nurse to do what?
(a) Go chat with Paris.
(b) Leave him be.
(c) Go to bed and rest before the wedding.
(d) Waken Juliet because Paris has already arrived.
4. Friar Laurence tells Friar John that ____________.
(a) Neglecting the letter could cause danger.
(b) Refusing to deliver the letter was a crime.
(c) Neglecting the letter would get him in trouble.
(d) Refusing to deliver the letter has caused many deaths.
5. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
(a) Tells Paris he can see Juliet that same evening.
(b) Postpones the wedding as Juliet asked.
(c) Invites the friar to the wedding.
(d) Moves the wedding up to the following day.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 5, Capulet compares Juliet to what?
2. How does Juliet react to the nurse's suggestion that she marry Paris?
3. Juliet claims she met Paris at the friar's cell and ____________.
4. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
5. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Prince banish Romeo instead of ordering his death?
2. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
3. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
4. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
5. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
6. What does Juliet plan to do if the potion does not work?
7. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
8. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
9. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
10. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)