|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who dies during Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Mercutio and Benvolio.
(b) Benvolio and Tybalt.
(c) Tybalt and Balthasar.
(d) Mercutio and Tybalt.
2. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
(a) She refuses to go through with the wedding.
(b) She pretends to be overjoyed.
(c) She pretends that she cannot hear her mother.
(d) She refuses to get married until Saturday.
3. What is the Prince's judgment for Romeo at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Prince sentences Romeo to death.
(b) The Prince sentences Romeo to live in prison.
(c) The Prince forgives Romeo.
(d) The Prince exiles Romeo.
4. Finally, at the end of Act 4, Scene 4, Capulet tells the nurse to do what?
(a) Leave him be.
(b) Go to bed and rest before the wedding.
(c) Waken Juliet because Paris has already arrived.
(d) Go chat with Paris.
5. When Romeo hears the news about Juliet, he plans to do what?
(a) Go back to Verona to seek revenge.
(b) Kill himself in front of the Capulets.
(c) Kill himself so he can be with her again.
(d) Beg the friar for poison in order to kill himself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who gave the letter to Romeo explaining about Juliet?
2. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
3. Juliet claims she would do all of the following to be with Romeo EXCEPT what?
4. Capulet is in a rush in Act 4, Scene 4 because ______________.
5. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
2. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
4. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
5. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
6. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
7. Why does Romeo believe he can get the apothecary to sell him poison, though it is illegal?
8. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
9. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
10. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)