|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
(a) Postpones the wedding as Juliet asked.
(b) Invites the friar to the wedding.
(c) Moves the wedding up to the following day.
(d) Tells Paris he can see Juliet that same evening.
2. Before he can enter the tomb, Romeo encounters who?
(d) Friar Laurence.
3. At the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, Lady Capulet and the nurse are _____________.
(a) discussing Juliet's dress for the wedding.
(b) trying to wake Juliet.
(c) preparing for the wedding day.
(d) discussing recipes for the wedding.
4. Mercutio says the two houses have made "worm's meat" of him because ___________________.
(a) He feels the families have used him for bait.
(b) Their feud has caused his death.
(c) Their feud has finally ended peacefully.
(d) He feels the families have made him rotten.
5. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
(a) Because they have not been paid.
(b) Because Juliet is dead and the familiy is mourning.
(c) Because they do not know the music Peter asks them for.
(d) Because Capulet has asked them not to.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Juliet refuse to go to her grieving parents?
2. When Romeo hears the news about Juliet, he plans to do what?
3. Why does the friar tell Romeo his "tears are womanish"?
4. When Romeo sees Juliet in Act 5, Scene 3, he is struck by _______________.
5. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Romeo believe he can get the apothecary to sell him poison, though it is illegal?
2. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
3. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
5. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
6. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
7. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
8. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
9. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
10. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)