|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 4, Scene 5, Capulet compares Juliet to what?
(a) A flower covered by an untimely frost.
(b) A living corpse.
(c) A frost on the windows.
(d) A flower plucked too soon.
2. What is Romeo doing at the start of Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Hiding at his father's home.
(b) Hiding at the burial vault.
(c) Hiding in the friar's cell.
(d) Hiding in the Capulet orchard.
3. Why does the friar tell Romeo his "tears are womanish"?
(a) Romeo cries like a girl.
(b) Romeo is overwrought with grief and refuses to be comforted.
(c) Romeo is only crying because his heart is broken.
(d) Romeo is grieving because Juliet will not see him again.
4. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
(a) She says she wants Juliet to go confess her sins.
(b) She says she is done with Juliet.
(c) She says she will speak to Capulet.
(d) She says Juliet should ask the nurse for help instead.
5. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
(a) Plans to reschedule the wedding.
(b) Threatens to disown her.
(c) Threatens to hit her.
(d) Figures out she is already married to Romeo.
Short Answer Questions
1. Juliet claims she met Paris at the friar's cell and ____________.
2. Juliet first believes that who is dead in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
4. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
5. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
2. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. Why does Mercutio fight Tybalt instead of Romeo?
4. How do Juliet's verbalized fears in Act 4, Scene 3 foreshadow upcoming events?
5. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
6. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
7. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
8. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
9. Why does Romeo believe he can get the apothecary to sell him poison, though it is illegal?
10. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)