|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The potion Juliet plans to take will do what?
(a) Cause her to forget she is married to Romeo.
(b) Cause her to die and come back to life.
(c) Cause her to appear dead for almost two days.
(d) Cause her to sleep peacefully until the wedding.
2. Juliet claims she would do all of the following to be with Romeo EXCEPT what?
(a) Hide in a burial vault with dead bodies.
(b) Murder Paris and Capulet.
(c) Leap off a tower battlement.
(d) Lurk where serpents are.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, Juliet has a fleeting suspicion that ______________.
(a) The potion might actually be a poison.
(b) The potion might give her amnesia.
(c) The nurse knows she is planning to take the potion.
(d) The friar is still planning to marry her off to Paris.
4. The nurse tells Capulet to go to bed so that ______________.
(a) He will get out of everyone's way.
(b) He will not find out what Juliet is up to.
(c) He will not be so angry in the morning.
(d) He will not be sick for the wedding day.
5. Before he can enter the tomb, Romeo encounters who?
(d) Friar Laurence.
Short Answer Questions
1. Friar Laurence plans to remedy the situation by doing what?
2. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
3. In Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet hopes the friar was able to do what?
4. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
5. In Act 3, Scene 4, Capulet tells Lady Capulet to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
2. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
3. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
4. How has Romeo's name "murdered" Juliet?
5. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
6. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
7. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
8. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
9. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
10. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)