|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Ironically, in Act 5, Scene 1, Romeo's dreams have hinted at _____________.
(a) Juliet's death.
(b) Juliet's arrival.
(c) Joyful news.
(d) His own suicide
2. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
(a) He was afraid to visit a town with an infectious pestilence.
(b) He did not trust Romeo with the letter.
(c) He was told Romeo was ill and could not have visitors.
(d) He was quarantined due to an infectious illness in the town.
3. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
(a) He wishes it would come sooner.
(b) He wishes he had more time to prepare.
(c) He wishes Juliet would make up her mind.
(d) He wishes it were over.
4. Why does Romeo refuse to fight Tybalt?
(a) Romeo is trying to trick Tybalt into letting his guard down.
(b) Romeo is trying to respect Tybalt as Juliet's family since they are now married.
(c) Romeo wants Tybalt to fight Mercutio instead.
(d) Romeo wants Tybalt to believe he is forgiving.
5. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
(a) She says she is done with Juliet.
(b) She says she will speak to Capulet.
(c) She says she wants Juliet to go confess her sins.
(d) She says Juliet should ask the nurse for help instead.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 4, Scnee 2, Juliet apologizes to her parents for ________________.
2. After Act 4, Scene 2, Juliet asks the nurse to do what?
3. What news does Balthasar give Romeo at the beginning of Act 5?
4. What does Juliet asks the nurse to give Romeo in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
2. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
3. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
4. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
5. In what way has Romeo sold the apothecary "poison"?
6. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
7. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
8. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
9. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
10. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)