|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
(a) An allusion.
(b) An oxymoron.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) A simile.
2. What does Juliet say to her mother and the nurse instead of "goodnight"?
(b) Good riddance.
(c) Good morrow.
(d) Bon voyage.
3. Ironically, in Act 5, Scene 1, Romeo's dreams have hinted at _____________.
(a) Joyful news.
(b) Juliet's arrival.
(c) His own suicide
(d) Juliet's death.
4. The nurse tells Capulet to go to bed so that ______________.
(a) He will not find out what Juliet is up to.
(b) He will not be so angry in the morning.
(c) He will not be sick for the wedding day.
(d) He will get out of everyone's way.
5. Romeo finds relief from his anguish in Act 3, Scene 3 when _____________.
(a) The nurse gives him Juliet's ring.
(b) The priest tells him to leave town.
(c) The priest tells him he is banished.
(d) The nurse comforts him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
2. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
3. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
4. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
5. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
2. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
3. In Act 4, Scene 2, what language reveals Capulet's anger toward his daughter before she apologizes to him?
4. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
5. What are Capulet's final instructions for the wedding day?
6. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
7. Why does Paris try to prevent Romeo from entering the vault?
8. Why does the Friar leave Juliet alone in the vault at the end of the play?
9. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
10. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
This section contains 756 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)