|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he can enter the tomb, Romeo encounters who?
(b) Friar Laurence.
2. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
(a) She wants to believe it is still dark so Romeo can stay.
(b) She wants to believe Romeo will come and see her.
(c) She wants to believe it is still dark so the Capulets will not see Romeo leaving.
(d) She believes the nightingale is lucky and will protect Romeo.
3. In Act 4, Scene 3, Juliet asks the nurse to leave her alone _______________.
(a) So she can take the poison on her own.
(b) So she can think about her upcoming wedding.
(c) So she can let Romeo in.
(d) So she can escape to the friar's cell.
4. The potion Juliet plans to take will do what?
(a) Cause her to appear dead for almost two days.
(b) Cause her to die and come back to life.
(c) Cause her to sleep peacefully until the wedding.
(d) Cause her to forget she is married to Romeo.
5. Why has Friar John come to visit Friar Laurence in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) He has come to tell Friar Laurence that Juliet is dead.
(b) He has come to tell Friar Laurence he could not deliver Romeo's letter.
(c) He has come to tell Friar Laurence that he is sick.
(d) He has come to tell Friar Laurence to go get Juliet from the vault.
Short Answer Questions
1. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
2. The marriage of Paris and Juliet has been planned for what day?
3. Why does Juliet refuse to go to her grieving parents?
4. Juliet first believes that who is dead in Act 3, Scene 2?
5. Mercutio says the two houses have made "worm's meat" of him because ___________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
2. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
3. What is ironic about Capulet's statement that the city is "bound" to the Friar?
4. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
5. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
6. Why is Capulet so happy in Act 4, Scene 4?
7. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
8. How will the potion free Juliet from the commitment to marry Paris?
9. Why does Capulet plan Juliet's wedding even though she has not professed a love for Paris yet?
10. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)