|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
(a) Support from friends.
2. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They talk to their parents.
(b) They make confession.
(c) They promise him to behave.
(d) They are married.
3. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
(a) Two hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Four hours.
(d) Three hours.
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
(a) Simple or foolish.
(b) Too hasty.
(c) Wise beyond her years.
(d) Upsetting to her parents.
5. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
2. Juliet considers herself wealthy in Act 2, Scene 6 because __________.
3. Romeo claims he is in love as the play opens, but is unhappy because ______________.
4. Why must Romeo and Juliet must "steal" their love?
5. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
2. What "satisfaction" does Romeo ask Juliet for?
3. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
4. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
5. How does the nurse respond to Lady Capulet's questions about marriage?
6. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
7. What is the cause of the current feud between the two families, according to the Act 1 prologue?
8. What is the "change" Friar Laurence claims to observe in Romeo?
9. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
10. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)