|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse shares Romeo's plan to do what?
(a) Climb into Juliet's room using a rope.
(b) Marry Rosaline.
(c) Bribe the guards to let him in.
(d) Answer Tybalt's challenge.
2. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Juliet's age.
(b) Paris' social position.
(c) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
(d) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
3. Romeo claims his love for Juliet is different from his love for Rosaline because ________________.
(a) Juliet is wealthy, while Rosaline was not.
(b) Rosaline loves him back, while Juliet did not.
(c) Juliet loves him back, where Rosaline did not.
(d) Juliet is his enemy, while Rosaline was not.
4. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to avoid going home.
(b) He wants to make confession.
(c) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(d) He wants to marry Juliet today.
5. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Prince Escalus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Romeo claims he is in love as the play opens, but is unhappy because ______________.
2. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
3. Who advises Romeo to "beat love down"?
4. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
Short Essay Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
2. How, in Act 2, scene 3, does the friar promise to assist Romeo?
3. Why does Friar Laurence ask for an "iron crow" when he learns that Romeo did not get his letter?
4. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
5. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
6. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
7. How do Juliet's verbalized fears in Act 4, Scene 3 foreshadow upcoming events?
8. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
9. What statement does Juliet make to Romeo in Act 3, Scene 5 that foreshadows both their deaths?
10. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
This section contains 809 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)