|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
(a) Too heavy.
(b) Too tender.
(c) Too gentle.
(d) Too rough.
2. Juliet's behavior toward her mother could be described as __________.
3. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
(a) Being indifferent to Juliet's love.
(b) Lying to Juliet.
(c) Lying to his parents.
(d) Being fickle in love.
4. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Paris' social position.
(b) Juliet's age.
(c) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
(d) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
5. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
(a) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and he is afraid to identify himself at her home.
(b) He cannot remember his name.
(c) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and therefore hateful to him.
(d) His name is hard to pronounce in Italian.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
2. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
3. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
4. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
5. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
2. What story does the nurse tell about Juliet in Act 1, Scene 3?
3. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
4. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
5. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
6. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
7. How, in Act 2, scene 3, does the friar promise to assist Romeo?
8. How does the nurse respond to Lady Capulet's questions about marriage?
9. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
10. How is Romeo's love for Juliet different from his love for Rosaline, according to the Act 2 prologue?
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)