|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
(b) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
(c) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(d) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
2. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) For Romeo to arrive.
(b) For Mercutio to arrive with news of Romeo.
(c) For the nurse to arrive with news of Romeo.
(d) For Peter to arrive with news of Romeo.
3. In Romeo's opening speech in Act 2, Scene 2, he refers to Juliet as __________.
(a) The moon.
(b) An Ethiopian princess.
(c) The sun.
(d) The goddess Diana.
4. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet has summons Juliet to discuss what?
(a) Ger permission to attend confession with the nurse.
(b) Her potential marriage to Paris.
(c) Her potential marriage to Romeo.
(d) Her potential meeting with Romeo at the party.
Short Answer Questions
1. The girl Romeo loves "has Dian's wit," which means _______.
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
3. What ultimately ends the feud between the Capulets and Montagues?
4. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the "change" Friar Laurence claims to observe in Romeo?
2. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
3. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
4. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
5. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
7. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
8. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
9. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
10. Why is Prince Escalus angry with the Montagues and Capulets?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)