|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Madness and imprisonment.
(b) Joy and delight.
(c) Illness and a cure.
(d) Ignorance and illiteracy.
2. Who arrives to talk to Romeo in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) The friar.
(c) The Nurse.
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
(a) Follow Romeo to see what he is doing.
(b) Go back to the party to find Tybalt.
(c) Go home without Romeo.
(d) Go to Friar Lawrence's cell to ask his advice.
4. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(b) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(c) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
(d) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
5. Why must Romeo and Juliet must "steal" their love?
(a) They cannot reveal it legally.
(b) They do not really know each other.
(c) They have to hide their love from Rosaline.
(d) They cannot reveal it to either family.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where are Romeo and his friends going during Act 1, Scene 4?
2. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
3. What "extremities" do Romeo and Juliet overcome in their love for one another?
4. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
5. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
2. What "satisfaction" does Romeo ask Juliet for?
3. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
4. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
5. What is the cause of the current feud between the two families, according to the Act 1 prologue?
6. How does the nurse respond to Lady Capulet's questions about marriage?
7. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
8. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
9. Why is Prince Escalus angry with the Montagues and Capulets?
10. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)