|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Love violently.
(b) Love moderately.
(c) Love passionately.
(d) Love calmly.
2. When the friar says Romeo's love "could read by rote, that could not spell," what is he suggesting?
(a) Romeo was simply distracting himself from his feelings for Rosaline by courting Juliet.
(b) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Rosaline.
(c) Romeo was simply playing the part of a lover, but not really in love.
(d) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Juliet.
3. Who do Sampson and Gregory first encounter in the city square in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Capulet and Montague.
(c) Abram and Balthasar, of the Montagues.
(d) Prince Escalus.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Ignorance and illiteracy.
(b) Joy and delight.
(c) Illness and a cure.
(d) Madness and imprisonment.
5. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
(a) The upcoming party at Capulet's house.
(b) Romeo's discouragement over Rosaline.
(c) The Prince's declaration about the feud.
(d) The feud between the families.
Short Answer Questions
1. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
2. At the end of Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse finally reveals that Romeo will __________________.
3. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. Which friend of Romeo's is on Capulet's list of invited guests?
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
2. What "satisfaction" does Romeo ask Juliet for?
3. How, in Act 2, scene 3, does the friar promise to assist Romeo?
4. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
6. What, according to the Act 1 prologue, will comprise the traffic of the stage?
7. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
8. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
9. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
10. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
This section contains 735 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)