|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The girl Romeo loves "has Dian's wit," which means _______.
(a) She is a disciple of the goddess Diana, and will therefore become a nun.
(b) She is interested in marriage only if it improves her social standing.
(c) She is chaste, and therefore not interested in an affair with Romeo.
(d) She is much smarter than Romeo.
2. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Leave his friends and go home.
(b) Return to the Capulet's house to find Juliet.
(c) Go home with his friends.
(d) Return to the Capulet's house to find Rosaline.
3. Why is there more "peril" in Juliet's eye than in her kinsmen's swords?
(a) Because Juliet is deceitful and may kill him.
(b) Because Romeo cannot fight a female.
(c) Because the risk of loving Juliet puts him in danger.
(d) Because Juliet's love is unhealthy.
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
(a) Go to Friar Lawrence's cell to ask his advice.
(b) Go home without Romeo.
(c) Go back to the party to find Tybalt.
(d) Follow Romeo to see what he is doing.
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
(a) Upsetting to her parents.
(b) Too hasty.
(c) Wise beyond her years.
(d) Simple or foolish.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Capulet servant tells Romeo and Benvolio they may attend the party if ___________________.
2. In the play's first scene, Benvolio advises Romeo to _________.
3. Mercutio asks Romeo to leave the nurse and do what?
4. At the end of the Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo promises to ___________.
5. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
2. What is the cause of the current feud between the two families, according to the Act 1 prologue?
3. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
4. Why is the friar concerned about the intensity of Romeo and Juliet's love for one another?
5. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
6. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
7. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
8. What gesture does Sampson make toward Abram?
9. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
10. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)