|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
(a) Too tender.
(b) Too gentle.
(c) Too heavy.
(d) Too rough.
2. Capulet allows that his consent is one part of the courtship agreement, but the other part is ___________.
(a) The Prince's permission.
(b) Juliet's dowry.
(c) Juliet's consent.
(d) Lady Capulet's permission.
3. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Prince Escalus.
4. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
(a) Violence and death in both families.
(b) Political exile for both families.
(c) Social ostracization for both families.
(d) Bankruptcy in both families.
5. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
(a) Fire and gunpowder.
(b) Swords and guns.
(c) Fire and water.
(d) Gunpowder and bullets.
Short Answer Questions
1. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
2. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
3. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
4. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
5. Mercutio attempts to "conjure" Romeo by in Act 2, Scene 1 by doing what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
2. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
3. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
4. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
5. What gesture does Sampson make toward Abram?
6. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
7. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
8. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
9. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
10. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)