|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Romeo claims his love for Juliet is different from his love for Rosaline because ________________.
(a) Juliet is his enemy, while Rosaline was not.
(b) Rosaline loves him back, while Juliet did not.
(c) Juliet loves him back, where Rosaline did not.
(d) Juliet is wealthy, while Rosaline was not.
2. When the friar says Romeo's love "could read by rote, that could not spell," what is he suggesting?
(a) Romeo was simply distracting himself from his feelings for Rosaline by courting Juliet.
(b) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Rosaline.
(c) Romeo was simply playing the part of a lover, but not really in love.
(d) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Juliet.
3. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
(b) Inciting violence.
4. When will Paris will get his first chance to woo Juliet?
(a) At Capulet's party that evening.
(b) At his wedding to Juliet.
(c) At Friar Lawrence's cell.
(d) At the Prince's party that evening.
5. in Act 1, Scene, what does Juliet agrees to do?
(a) Consider marriage, but not with Paris.
(b) Consider Paris as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(c) Consider Romeo as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(d) Discuss marriage with Paris that evening.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is looking for Juliet at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
2. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
3. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
5. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet first asks the nurse to do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Capulet discourage Tybalt from confronting Romeo?
2. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
3. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
4. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
5. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
6. Why does Romeo ask Mercutio's pardon in Act 2, Scene 4?
7. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
8. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
9. How does the nurse respond to Lady Capulet's questions about marriage?
10. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)