|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
(a) End the feud.
(b) Cause the Prince to lift the law against fighting.
(c) Cause greater fighting among them.
(d) Allow more marriages between the families.
2. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
(b) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(c) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
(d) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
(b) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(c) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(d) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
4. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
(a) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and therefore hateful to him.
(b) His name is hard to pronounce in Italian.
(c) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and he is afraid to identify himself at her home.
(d) He cannot remember his name.
5. The nurse's long speech in Act 1, Scene 3 reveals she had what?
(a) A daughter of her own named Susan.
(b) A husband named Romeo.
(c) A sister named Susan.
(d) A son of her own named Jule.
Short Answer Questions
1. Romeo dares death to ________________.
2. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the nurse warn Romeo against?
3. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
4. At the end of Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse finally reveals that Romeo will __________________.
5. Romeo claims he is in love as the play opens, but is unhappy because ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Why is the play called "The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet"?
3. How is Romeo's love for Juliet different from his love for Rosaline, according to the Act 2 prologue?
4. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
5. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
7. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
8. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
9. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
10. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
This section contains 846 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)