|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He cannot speak, but has been instructed to invite guests to the party.
(b) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and asks a Montague's help.
(c) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and therefore invites no one.
(d) He cannot understand Italian, and does not get Capulet's instructions.
2. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(b) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(c) He refuses to leave the house.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
3. Where does the play take place?
(a) Naples, Italy.
(b) Florence, Italy.
(c) Verona, Italy.
(d) Rome, Italy.
4. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
(a) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and he is afraid to identify himself at her home.
(b) He cannot remember his name.
(c) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and therefore hateful to him.
(d) His name is hard to pronounce in Italian.
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the nurse warn Romeo against?
(a) Falsely leading Juliet on.
(b) Losing Capulet's blessing.
(c) Marrying Juliet for her money.
(d) Running into Tybalt.
Short Answer Questions
1. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
2. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
3. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
4. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
5. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Romeo's love for Juliet different from his love for Rosaline, according to the Act 2 prologue?
2. What is Juliet's first speech about in Act 3, Scene 2?
3. What consolation does the friar offer the Capulet family when Juliet is found dead?
4. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
5. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
7. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
8. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
9. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
10. Why is the friar concerned about the intensity of Romeo and Juliet's love for one another?
This section contains 815 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)