|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Romeo claims he is in love as the play opens, but is unhappy because ______________.
(a) His parents oppose the match.
(b) The girl he loves does not love him.
(c) He has no intention of getting married.
(d) He is already engaged to Juliet.
2. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
(a) From feuding families.
(b) From different countries.
(c) From different towns.
(d) From feuding kingdoms.
3. Why is there more "peril" in Juliet's eye than in her kinsmen's swords?
(a) Because Juliet's love is unhealthy.
(b) Because the risk of loving Juliet puts him in danger.
(c) Because Juliet is deceitful and may kill him.
(d) Because Romeo cannot fight a female.
4. In the play's first scene, Benvolio advises Romeo to _________.
(a) Leave Rosaline.
(b) Forget Rosaline.
(c) Pursue Juliet.
(d) Propose to Rosaline.
5. What does the nurse say about the man who is lucky enough to marry Juliet?
(a) He will have to gain her father's approval.
(b) He will gain her money with the marriage.
(c) He will have to fight Tybalt first.
(d) He will have to compete with Paris.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
2. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
3. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
4. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
5. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
2. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
3. What reasons does Friar Laurence give Romeo to be happy in Act 3, Scene 3?
4. Why are the preparations for Juliet's wedding to Paris so rushed?
5. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
6. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
7. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
8. What is Friar Laurence's plan for Juliet now that the letter has failed to reach Romeo?
9. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
10. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
This section contains 812 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)