|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where does the play take place?
(a) Florence, Italy.
(b) Naples, Italy.
(c) Rome, Italy.
(d) Verona, Italy.
2. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
(a) Seek her own husband.
(b) Seek a husband who will stand up to her father.
(c) Seek love wherever she can find it.
(d) Seek happy nights to happy days.
3. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
(a) He is ashamed of his behavior with Juliet.
(b) He knows they will tease him about Juliet.
(c) He is afraid of Tybalt.
(d) He is still pining for Rosaline.
4. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
(a) Lying to his parents.
(b) Lying to Juliet.
(c) Being indifferent to Juliet's love.
(d) Being fickle in love.
5. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
(b) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
(c) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(d) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
2. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
3. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
4. After reviewing the Capulet servant's list, Benvolio discovers that _________________.
5. The chorus promises that anything left out of the prologue will be __________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How is Romeo's love for Juliet different from his love for Rosaline, according to the Act 2 prologue?
2. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
3. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
4. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
5. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
6. Why is the friar concerned about the intensity of Romeo and Juliet's love for one another?
7. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
8. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
9. What limitations do Romeo and Juliet face as lovers?
10. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)