|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
(a) Anger him.
(b) Cause him to come out from hiding.
(c) Make him cry.
(d) Only make him hide longer.
2. What will be Juliet's excuse for leaving the house to go to church that afternoon?
(a) She will say she is going to meet Tybalt.
(b) She will say she is going to meet Paris.
(c) She will say she is going to confession.
(d) She will say she is going to marry Romeo.
3. Who advises Romeo to "beat love down"?
4. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) For Romeo to arrive.
(b) For the nurse to arrive with news of Romeo.
(c) For Peter to arrive with news of Romeo.
(d) For Mercutio to arrive with news of Romeo.
5. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(b) He refuses to leave the house.
(c) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
2. in Act 2, Scene 6, the friar prays that the heavens will do what?
3. When Tybalt discovers Romeo's presence at the Capulet party, he does what?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
5. In Act 1, Prologue, the chorus asks the audience to be what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of the current feud between the two families, according to the Act 1 prologue?
2. Why does Juliet decide to lie to the nurse in Act 3, Scene 5?
3. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
4. Why does Juliet threaten to kill herself in Act 4, Scene 1?
5. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
6. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
7. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. Why does Romeo believe he can get the apothecary to sell him poison, though it is illegal?
9. In Act 3, Scene 4, Lady Capulet says she will "know Juliet's mind" early the next day. What does this suggest about Juliet's role in the marriage?
10. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
This section contains 859 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)