|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
(b) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(c) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(d) He refuses to leave the house.
2. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
(a) Too tender.
(b) Too heavy.
(c) Too rough.
(d) Too gentle.
3. Where are Romeo and his friends going during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To Romeo's party.
(b) To the Capulet's party.
(c) To the friar's cell.
(d) To the Montague's party.
4. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
(a) Leaving his friends at the dance so he could avoid Tybalt.
(b) Avoiding his friends all day.
(c) Leaving his friends behind the previous night.
(d) Spending so much time talking to the nurse.
5. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
(a) Fire and water.
(b) Fire and gunpowder.
(c) Swords and guns.
(d) Gunpowder and bullets.
Short Answer Questions
1. The Capulet servant approaches Romeo in Act 1, Scene 2 to ask him what?
2. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
3. In lines 11 and 12, Romeo says, "Give me a torch, I am not for this ambling./Being but heavy, I will bear the light." This is an example of what?
4. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
5. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
2. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
3. What are Sampson and Gregory saying about the Montagues as they approach the city square?
4. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
5. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
6. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
7. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
8. What is the "change" Friar Laurence claims to observe in Romeo?
9. What limitations do Romeo and Juliet face as lovers?
10. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
This section contains 760 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)