|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 2, Scene 3, the friar believes Romeo never went to bed because ___________.
(a) He was carousing drunkenly with his friends.
(b) He was hiding from his father.
(c) He was with Rosaline.
(d) He was fighting with Tybalt.
2. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
(a) Four hours.
(b) One hour.
(c) Two hours.
(d) Three hours.
3. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
(a) Ask a servant who Juliet is.
(b) Ask a servant where Tybalt is.
(c) Ask Tybalt who Juliet is.
(d) Ask Capulet for permission to dance with Juliet.
4. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
(a) Call for Romeo.
(b) Mock Romeo to force him to come out of hiding.
(c) Follow Romeo into the Capulet's orchard.
(d) Go back to the party to find Romeo.
5. Which friend of Romeo's is on Capulet's list of invited guests?
Short Answer Questions
1. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
2. in Act 2, Scene 6, the friar prays that the heavens will do what?
3. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
4. In lines 186-196, Romeo compares love to all of the following EXCEPT what?
5. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
2. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
3. Why does Benvolio attempt to convince Romeo to pursue other loves?
4. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
5. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
6. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
7. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
8. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
9. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
10. What freedom does Capulet seem to be offering Juliet in her choices for marriage?
This section contains 785 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)