|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In lines 11 and 12, Romeo says, "Give me a torch, I am not for this ambling./Being but heavy, I will bear the light." This is an example of what?
(a) A pun.
(b) A simile.
(d) An allegory.
2. The nurse's long speech in Act 1, Scene 3 reveals she had what?
(a) A son of her own named Jule.
(b) A daughter of her own named Susan.
(c) A husband named Romeo.
(d) A sister named Susan.
3. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
(a) The moon is constantly changing.
(b) The moon is symbolically evil.
(c) She thinks comparisons to the moon are corny.
(d) She cannot see the moon on cloudy nights.
4. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(b) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(c) He refuses to leave the house.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
5. Capulet allows that his consent is one part of the courtship agreement, but the other part is ___________.
(a) Juliet's consent.
(b) The Prince's permission.
(c) Juliet's dowry.
(d) Lady Capulet's permission.
Short Answer Questions
1. Romeo's last speech during Act 1, Scene 4 reveals what?
2. Juliet considers herself wealthy in Act 2, Scene 6 because __________.
3. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
4. Where does the play take place?
5. Why is Romeo no longer interested in Rosaline in Act 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What gesture does Sampson make toward Abram?
2. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
3. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
4. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
5. What is Benvolio trying to do as the fight breaks out in the square?
6. Why is Juliet so impatient for the nurse's return in Act 2, Scene 5?
7. What story does the nurse tell about Juliet in Act 1, Scene 3?
8. How does Lady Capulet appear to feel about Paris as a prospective groom for her daughter?
9. How do Romeo and Juliet describe their feelings for each other in Act 2, Scene 6?
10. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
This section contains 830 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)