|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse finally reveals that Romeo will __________________.
(a) Leave for Mantua immediately.
(b) Meet Juliet in the city square.
(c) Ask Capulet for Juliet's hand in marriage.
(d) Marry Juliet at the friar's cell that afternoon.
2. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
3. When the friar says Romeo's love "could read by rote, that could not spell," what is he suggesting?
(a) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Juliet.
(b) Romeo was simply distracting himself from his feelings for Rosaline by courting Juliet.
(c) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Rosaline.
(d) Romeo was simply playing the part of a lover, but not really in love.
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
(a) Too hasty.
(b) Wise beyond her years.
(c) Simple or foolish.
(d) Upsetting to her parents.
5. in Act 2, Scene 6, the friar prays that the heavens will do what?
(a) Prevent the marriage if it is not meant to be.
(b) Smile upon Romeo and Juliet's marriage.
(c) Conceal the marriage from Juliet's parents.
(d) Prepare Romeo and Juliet for hardship.
Short Answer Questions
1. Juliet's behavior toward her mother could be described as __________.
2. In lines 186-196, Romeo compares love to all of the following EXCEPT what?
3. Capulet allows that his consent is one part of the courtship agreement, but the other part is ___________.
4. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
5. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the general meaning of Mercutio's speech about Queen Mab?
2. What is the difference between Lady Capulet's behavior toward Juliet and the nurse's behavior?
3. What gesture does Sampson make toward Abram?
4. How does Juliet respond to Romeo's advances when they meet at the party?
5. Why is Prince Escalus angry with the Montagues and Capulets?
6. Benvolio suggests Romeo would be angry if he heard Mercutio talking about Rosaline, but how does the audience know this is not true?
7. Why is Mercutio discussing Tybalt's character in Act 2, Scene 4?
8. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
9. What limitations do Romeo and Juliet face as lovers?
10. What, according to the Act 1 prologue, will comprise the traffic of the stage?
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)