|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The girl Romeo loves "has Dian's wit," which means _______.
(a) She is a disciple of the goddess Diana, and will therefore become a nun.
(b) She is much smarter than Romeo.
(c) She is interested in marriage only if it improves her social standing.
(d) She is chaste, and therefore not interested in an affair with Romeo.
2. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and asks a Montague's help.
(b) He cannot speak, but has been instructed to invite guests to the party.
(c) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and therefore invites no one.
(d) He cannot understand Italian, and does not get Capulet's instructions.
3. What does the nurse say about the man who is lucky enough to marry Juliet?
(a) He will have to compete with Paris.
(b) He will have to gain her father's approval.
(c) He will gain her money with the marriage.
(d) He will have to fight Tybalt first.
4. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
(a) End the feud.
(b) Cause greater fighting among them.
(c) Cause the Prince to lift the law against fighting.
(d) Allow more marriages between the families.
5. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They talk to their parents.
(b) They make confession.
(c) They are married.
(d) They promise him to behave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which friend of Romeo's is on Capulet's list of invited guests?
2. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
3. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
4. in Act 2, Scene 6, the friar prays that the heavens will do what?
5. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of the current feud between the two families, according to the Act 1 prologue?
2. What "satisfaction" does Romeo ask Juliet for?
3. How does Benvolio respond to Romeo's concerns about attending the Capulet's party?
4. How does the nurse respond to Lady Capulet's questions about marriage?
5. Why does Juliet wish Romeo had another name?
6. Why are Benvolio and Mercutio teasing Romeo in Act 2, Scene 1?
7. How are Romeo and Juliet's families alike, and why might this be important?
8. How do Romeo and Benvolio find themselves invited to a party at the Capulet's?
9. How does Capulet respond to Paris' proposal to court Juliet?
10. Why does the nurse prolong Juliet's anxiety in Act 2, Scene 5?
This section contains 806 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)