|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is the apothecary hesitant to sell Romeo poison?
(a) It is against the law.
(b) It is against his morals.
(c) He does not have what Romeo needs.
(d) He is afraid Romeo will die.
2. Juliet worries that she will wake before Romeo arrives and
(a) Suffocate in the tomb.
(b) Be forced to marry Paris.
(c) Have to leave without him.
(d) Encounter Tybalt's ghost.
3. Friar Laurence advises the Capulets to do what in Act 4, Scene 5?
(a) Wait a day or two before planning the funeral.
(b) End the feud with the Montagues.
(c) Cancel the wedding.
(d) Prepare for Juliet's funeral.
4. Juliet claims she met Paris at the friar's cell and ____________.
(a) Apologized for her earlier behavior.
(b) Declared her love for him openly.
(c) Encouraged him modestly.
(d) Told him to postpone the wedding.
5. After Juliet takes the potion, the friar will do what?
(a) Send a letter to Romeo telling him Juliet is dead.
(b) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come home and confess.
(c) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come get Juliet.
(d) Send a letter to Capulet telling him Juliet is not really dead.
6. In Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet hopes the friar was able to do what?
(a) Influence Juliet to become a nun.
(b) Influence Juliet to marry Paris.
(c) Warn Juliet that she will be disowned by her parents.
(d) Give Juliet a potion to help her sleep.
7. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
(a) He was quarantined due to an infectious illness in the town.
(b) He was told Romeo was ill and could not have visitors.
(c) He was afraid to visit a town with an infectious pestilence.
(d) He did not trust Romeo with the letter.
8. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
(a) A metaphor.
(b) An allusion.
(c) An oxymoron.
(d) A simile.
9. In Act 4, Scnee 2, Juliet apologizes to her parents for ________________.
(a) Marrying Romeo.
(b) Her disobedience.
(c) Her pride.
(d) Talking back to them.
10. Who discovers that Juliet appears to be dead?
(b) The nurse.
(c) Lady Capulet.
11. What peace has arrived in Verona at the end of the play?
(a) Peace between Mercutio and Tybalt.
(b) Peace for the dead.
(c) Peace between the Montagues and Capulets.
(d) The Prince finally has peace on his streets.
12. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
(a) She believes the nightingale is lucky and will protect Romeo.
(b) She wants to believe Romeo will come and see her.
(c) She wants to believe it is still dark so Romeo can stay.
(d) She wants to believe it is still dark so the Capulets will not see Romeo leaving.
13. Finally, at the end of Act 4, Scene 4, Capulet tells the nurse to do what?
(a) Go chat with Paris.
(b) Leave him be.
(c) Waken Juliet because Paris has already arrived.
(d) Go to bed and rest before the wedding.
14. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
(a) Because she will go to church for her funeral, but never come home.
(b) Because she will live with Paris after the wedding.
(c) Because she will leave Verona for Mantua soon.
(d) Because she is still angry with Capulet, and will not return home with him.
15. Capulet is in a rush in Act 4, Scene 4 because ______________.
(a) The friar will stop the wedding if they are caught.
(b) Paris is anxious to get things started.
(c) Paris has already arrived.
(d) Juliet will wake up soon.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Juliet react to the nurse's suggestion that she marry Paris?
2. What finally causes Romeo to fight?
3. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
4. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
5. The potion Juliet plans to take will do what?
This section contains 749 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)