|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
(a) Has ordered him banished, not killed.
(b) Has ordered him to leave town with Juliet.
(c) Has ordered Romeo to appear before him.
(d) Has ordered him to apologize to the Capulets.
2. Before he can enter the tomb, Romeo encounters who?
(c) Friar Laurence.
3. Juliet first believes that who is dead in Act 3, Scene 2?
4. When Romeo sees Juliet in Act 5, Scene 3, he is struck by _______________.
(a) How beautiful she is compared to the other corpses.
(b) How beautiful she is, even in death.
(c) How brave she is to lay among the dead.
(d) How cold she is.
5. What is Juliet's reaction to her mother's news that the wedding has been planned for Thursday?
(a) She refuses to go through with the wedding.
(b) She pretends to be overjoyed.
(c) She refuses to get married until Saturday.
(d) She pretends that she cannot hear her mother.
6. The nurse arrives in Act 3, Scene 5 to tell Juliet what?
(a) She will have to tell Romeo to leave.
(b) Her mother is coming to take her to church.
(c) She will be married that same day.
(d) Her mother is coming to speak to her.
7. What finally causes Romeo to fight?
(a) Mercutio's condemnation of the families.
(b) Tybalt's taunts.
(c) Mercutio's death and Tybalt's triumph.
(d) Romeo's pride.
8. The nurse tells Capulet to go to bed so that ______________.
(a) He will not be sick for the wedding day.
(b) He will not be so angry in the morning.
(c) He will get out of everyone's way.
(d) He will not find out what Juliet is up to.
9. Before she falls unconscious, Juliet thinks she sees ______________.
(a) Tybalt's ghost seeking Romeo.
(b) Romeo standing in the window.
(c) Tybalt's ghost coming to take her to her grave.
(d) Romeo's ghost come to take her to her grave.
10. In Act 4, Scene 5, the friar claims that Juliet is ___________.
(a) Only sleeping.
(b) Pretending to be dead.
(c) In Heaven.
(d) In Mantua.
11. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
(a) A simile.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) An allusion.
(d) An oxymoron.
12. Juliet claims she met Paris at the friar's cell and ____________.
(a) Told him to postpone the wedding.
(b) Declared her love for him openly.
(c) Encouraged him modestly.
(d) Apologized for her earlier behavior.
13. What does Juliet say to her mother and the nurse instead of "goodnight"?
(b) Good morrow.
(c) Bon voyage.
(d) Good riddance.
14. In Act 3, Scene 4, Capulet tells Lady Capulet to do what?
(a) Prepare Juliet for Tybalt's funeral.
(b) Invite six guests to the wedding.
(c) Have the nurse prepare Juliet for the wedding.
(d) Prepare Juliet for the wedding tonight.
15. Why does Juliet refuse to go to her grieving parents?
(a) She suggests she will go to her room and kill herself out of grief for Romeo.
(b) She says she will be too busy making arrangements for her wedding night.
(c) She suggests she is already angry with her parents.
(d) She says she will go find Romeo and give him a message.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Romeo doing at the start of Act 3, Scene 3?
2. Who dies during Act 3, Scene 1?
3. Capulet calls the servant "loggerhead," which means __________.
4. Juliet will not speak badly about Romeo even after he kills Tybalt because _________________.
5. What is the Prince's judgment for Romeo at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)