|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
(a) Has ordered Romeo to appear before him.
(b) Has ordered him banished, not killed.
(c) Has ordered him to apologize to the Capulets.
(d) Has ordered him to leave town with Juliet.
2. At the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, Lady Capulet and the nurse are _____________.
(a) preparing for the wedding day.
(b) discussing Juliet's dress for the wedding.
(c) discussing recipes for the wedding.
(d) trying to wake Juliet.
3. Who gave the letter to Romeo explaining about Juliet?
(a) Friar Laurence delivered the letter.
(b) No one was able to deliver the letter.
(c) Balthasar delivered the letter.
(d) Benvolio delivered the letter.
4. Why does Juliet refuse to go to her grieving parents?
(a) She suggests she will go to her room and kill herself out of grief for Romeo.
(b) She says she will go find Romeo and give him a message.
(c) She suggests she is already angry with her parents.
(d) She says she will be too busy making arrangements for her wedding night.
5. The potion Juliet plans to take will do what?
(a) Cause her to die and come back to life.
(b) Cause her to forget she is married to Romeo.
(c) Cause her to sleep peacefully until the wedding.
(d) Cause her to appear dead for almost two days.
6. At the end of Act 3, Scene 3, Romeo leaves the friar to do what?
(a) Go see his father.
(b) Go bury Mercutio.
(c) Go see the Prince.
(d) Go visit Juliet.
7. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
(a) He wishes it would come sooner.
(b) He wishes he had more time to prepare.
(c) He wishes it were over.
(d) He wishes Juliet would make up her mind.
8. Juliet worries that she will wake before Romeo arrives and
(a) Suffocate in the tomb.
(b) Be forced to marry Paris.
(c) Have to leave without him.
(d) Encounter Tybalt's ghost.
9. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet plans to do what?
(a) Stay up and plan for the wedding the next day.
(b) Stay up to watch over Juliet.
(c) Visit Paris and tell him the wedding is off.
(d) Visit the friar to thank him for helping Juliet.
10. Friar Laurence tells Friar John that ____________.
(a) Neglecting the letter could cause danger.
(b) Neglecting the letter would get him in trouble.
(c) Refusing to deliver the letter was a crime.
(d) Refusing to deliver the letter has caused many deaths.
11. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
(a) Plans to reschedule the wedding.
(b) Figures out she is already married to Romeo.
(c) Threatens to hit her.
(d) Threatens to disown her.
12. In Act 4, Scene 5, the friar claims that Juliet is ___________.
(a) In Heaven.
(b) Pretending to be dead.
(c) In Mantua.
(d) Only sleeping.
13. After Juliet takes the potion, the friar will do what?
(a) Send a letter to Capulet telling him Juliet is not really dead.
(b) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come home and confess.
(c) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come get Juliet.
(d) Send a letter to Romeo telling him Juliet is dead.
14. The marriage of Paris and Juliet has been planned for what day?
15. What peace has arrived in Verona at the end of the play?
(a) Peace for the dead.
(b) Peace between the Montagues and Capulets.
(c) The Prince finally has peace on his streets.
(d) Peace between Mercutio and Tybalt.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the apothecary finally take Romeo's money?
2. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
3. Juliet will not speak badly about Romeo even after he kills Tybalt because _________________.
4. After Act 4, Scene 2, Juliet asks the nurse to do what?
5. Why does Romeo visit the apothecary in Act 5, Scene 1?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)