|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Juliet first believes that who is dead in Act 3, Scene 2?
2. Friar Laurence tells Friar John that ____________.
(a) Refusing to deliver the letter has caused many deaths.
(b) Neglecting the letter could cause danger.
(c) Neglecting the letter would get him in trouble.
(d) Refusing to deliver the letter was a crime.
3. Why does Romeo refuse to fight Tybalt?
(a) Romeo is trying to trick Tybalt into letting his guard down.
(b) Romeo wants Tybalt to believe he is forgiving.
(c) Romeo is trying to respect Tybalt as Juliet's family since they are now married.
(d) Romeo wants Tybalt to fight Mercutio instead.
4. After Juliet takes the potion, the friar will do what?
(a) Send a letter to Romeo telling him Juliet is dead.
(b) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come get Juliet.
(c) Send a letter to Capulet telling him Juliet is not really dead.
(d) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come home and confess.
5. Juliet claims she would do all of the following to be with Romeo EXCEPT what?
(a) Hide in a burial vault with dead bodies.
(b) Leap off a tower battlement.
(c) Murder Paris and Capulet.
(d) Lurk where serpents are.
6. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
(a) Figures out she is already married to Romeo.
(b) Threatens to hit her.
(c) Threatens to disown her.
(d) Plans to reschedule the wedding.
7. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
(a) She says she is done with Juliet.
(b) She says she will speak to Capulet.
(c) She says Juliet should ask the nurse for help instead.
(d) She says she wants Juliet to go confess her sins.
8. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
(a) Juliet has confessed she does not love Paris.
(b) It is being rushed, and Paris is not sure of Juliet's feelings.
(c) It has been postponed so many times, he is sure Juliet does not return his feelings.
(d) It is being rushed, and Capulet is unsure of Paris' character.
9. Before she falls unconscious, Juliet thinks she sees ______________.
(a) Tybalt's ghost coming to take her to her grave.
(b) Romeo's ghost come to take her to her grave.
(c) Tybalt's ghost seeking Romeo.
(d) Romeo standing in the window.
10. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
(a) Because she will leave Verona for Mantua soon.
(b) Because she will live with Paris after the wedding.
(c) Because she will go to church for her funeral, but never come home.
(d) Because she is still angry with Capulet, and will not return home with him.
11. How does Juliet react to the nurse's suggestion that she marry Paris?
(a) Juliet believes the nurse is kindly offering her wisdom.
(b) Juliet believes the nurse has lost her mind.
(c) Juliet believes she can no longer trust the nurse.
(d) Juliet believes she should trust her old friend.
12. What is Romeo doing at the start of Act 3, Scene 3?
(a) Hiding at his father's home.
(b) Hiding in the friar's cell.
(c) Hiding at the burial vault.
(d) Hiding in the Capulet orchard.
13. Romeo finds relief from his anguish in Act 3, Scene 3 when _____________.
(a) The priest tells him to leave town.
(b) The nurse gives him Juliet's ring.
(c) The priest tells him he is banished.
(d) The nurse comforts him.
14. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
(a) An allusion.
(b) A simile.
(c) A metaphor.
(d) An oxymoron.
15. Friar Laurence advises the Capulets to do what in Act 4, Scene 5?
(a) Cancel the wedding.
(b) Wait a day or two before planning the funeral.
(c) End the feud with the Montagues.
(d) Prepare for Juliet's funeral.
Short Answer Questions
1. Capulet calls the servant "loggerhead," which means __________.
2. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
3. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
4. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
5. In Act 4, Scene 5, Capulet compares Juliet to what?
This section contains 768 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)