|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Friar John prevented from delivering Romeo's letter?
(a) He was told Romeo was ill and could not have visitors.
(b) He was quarantined due to an infectious illness in the town.
(c) He did not trust Romeo with the letter.
(d) He was afraid to visit a town with an infectious pestilence.
2. Juliet will not speak badly about Romeo even after he kills Tybalt because _________________.
(a) He is her husband.
(b) He would be angry if he found out.
(c) She knows Tybalt probably instigated the violence.
(d) She does not believe the nurse.
3. What finally causes Romeo to fight?
(a) Tybalt's taunts.
(b) Romeo's pride.
(c) Mercutio's condemnation of the families.
(d) Mercutio's death and Tybalt's triumph.
4. Who dies during Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Mercutio and Benvolio.
(b) Mercutio and Tybalt.
(c) Benvolio and Tybalt.
(d) Tybalt and Balthasar.
5. How does Lady Capulet respond to Juliet's plea for help regarding the impending marriage to Paris?
(a) She says she will speak to Capulet.
(b) She says she wants Juliet to go confess her sins.
(c) She says she is done with Juliet.
(d) She says Juliet should ask the nurse for help instead.
6. Why does Romeo visit the apothecary in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) He wants to buy a potion to fake his own death.
(b) He wants to buy poison to kill Paris.
(c) He wants to buy a potion to wake Juliet.
(d) He wants to buy poison so he can kill himself and be with Juliet.
7. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
(a) It is being rushed, and Paris is not sure of Juliet's feelings.
(b) Juliet has confessed she does not love Paris.
(c) It is being rushed, and Capulet is unsure of Paris' character.
(d) It has been postponed so many times, he is sure Juliet does not return his feelings.
8. What proof does the Prince find for the events that took place?
(a) The Prince reads Romeo's letters to Friar Laurence.
(b) The Prince asks Balthasar to tell the truth.
(c) The Prince asks Paris' page to tell the truth.
(d) The Prince reads Friar Laurence's letter to Romeo.
9. In Act 4, Scene 5, the friar claims that Juliet is ___________.
(a) Only sleeping.
(b) Pretending to be dead.
(c) In Heaven.
(d) In Mantua.
10. Friar Laurence plans to remedy the situation by doing what?
(a) Giving Father John another letter to take to Romeo.
(b) Writing again to Mantua after he rescues Juliet.
(c) Telling Juliet the truth.
(d) Leaving for Mantua to get Romeo.
11. At the beginning of Act 4, Scene 4, Lady Capulet and the nurse are _____________.
(a) discussing Juliet's dress for the wedding.
(b) discussing recipes for the wedding.
(c) trying to wake Juliet.
(d) preparing for the wedding day.
12. Capulet is in a rush in Act 4, Scene 4 because ______________.
(a) Juliet will wake up soon.
(b) Paris has already arrived.
(c) Paris is anxious to get things started.
(d) The friar will stop the wedding if they are caught.
13. The marriage of Paris and Juliet has been planned for what day?
14. In Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet hopes the friar was able to do what?
(a) Influence Juliet to marry Paris.
(b) Give Juliet a potion to help her sleep.
(c) Influence Juliet to become a nun.
(d) Warn Juliet that she will be disowned by her parents.
15. Why has Friar John come to visit Friar Laurence in Act 5, Scene 2?
(a) He has come to tell Friar Laurence that he is sick.
(b) He has come to tell Friar Laurence to go get Juliet from the vault.
(c) He has come to tell Friar Laurence he could not deliver Romeo's letter.
(d) He has come to tell Friar Laurence that Juliet is dead.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
2. At the end of Act 3, Scene 3, Romeo leaves the friar to do what?
3. Juliet claims the nightingale is still singing because ________________.
4. Because Juliet finds Romeo dead, she _____________.
5. What is Romeo doing at the start of Act 3, Scene 3?
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)