|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
(a) Threatens to hit her.
(b) Figures out she is already married to Romeo.
(c) Plans to reschedule the wedding.
(d) Threatens to disown her.
2. In Act 3, Scene 3, the friar tells Romeo that the Prince ____________.
(a) Has ordered him to leave town with Juliet.
(b) Has ordered Romeo to appear before him.
(c) Has ordered him banished, not killed.
(d) Has ordered him to apologize to the Capulets.
3. In Act 3, Scene 2, Juliet compares her impatience to see Romeo to what?
(a) A child who has new robes but cannot wear them yet.
(b) A starry night.
(c) A child who has a new mansion.
(d) A sober-suited matron.
4. Juliet threatens to do what in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Kill herself.
(b) Tell her parents the truth.
(c) Run away tonight.
(d) Kill Paris.
5. When Romeo sees Juliet in Act 5, Scene 3, he is struck by _______________.
(a) How beautiful she is, even in death.
(b) How cold she is.
(c) How beautiful she is compared to the other corpses.
(d) How brave she is to lay among the dead.
6. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
(a) Because she is still angry with Capulet, and will not return home with him.
(b) Because she will go to church for her funeral, but never come home.
(c) Because she will live with Paris after the wedding.
(d) Because she will leave Verona for Mantua soon.
7. In Act 4, Scene 5, Capulet compares Juliet to what?
(a) A frost on the windows.
(b) A flower covered by an untimely frost.
(c) A living corpse.
(d) A flower plucked too soon.
8. What is the Prince's judgment for Romeo at the end of Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) The Prince sentences Romeo to live in prison.
(b) The Prince sentences Romeo to death.
(c) The Prince forgives Romeo.
(d) The Prince exiles Romeo.
9. Why is the apothecary hesitant to sell Romeo poison?
(a) He is afraid Romeo will die.
(b) He does not have what Romeo needs.
(c) It is against his morals.
(d) It is against the law.
10. Capulet is so thrilled with Juliet's behavior in Act 4, Scene 2 that he __________________.
(a) Tells Paris he can see Juliet that same evening.
(b) Invites the friar to the wedding.
(c) Moves the wedding up to the following day.
(d) Postpones the wedding as Juliet asked.
11. Juliet will not speak badly about Romeo even after he kills Tybalt because _________________.
(a) She knows Tybalt probably instigated the violence.
(b) He would be angry if he found out.
(c) She does not believe the nurse.
(d) He is her husband.
12. Juliet first believes that who is dead in Act 3, Scene 2?
13. What does Juliet asks the nurse to give Romeo in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) A ring.
(b) A refusal to his marriage proposal.
(c) An apology.
(d) A necklace.
14. How does Juliet react to the nurse's suggestion that she marry Paris?
(a) Juliet believes the nurse has lost her mind.
(b) Juliet believes the nurse is kindly offering her wisdom.
(c) Juliet believes she should trust her old friend.
(d) Juliet believes she can no longer trust the nurse.
15. At the end of Act 4, Scene 2, Capulet plans to do what?
(a) Stay up to watch over Juliet.
(b) Visit the friar to thank him for helping Juliet.
(c) Stay up and plan for the wedding the next day.
(d) Visit Paris and tell him the wedding is off.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
2. In Act 3, Scene 4, Capulet informs Paris of what?
3. What does Juliet say to her mother and the nurse instead of "goodnight"?
4. Friar Laurence advises the Capulets to do what in Act 4, Scene 5?
5. What does Lady Capulet plan to speak to Juliet about in the morning?
This section contains 696 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)