|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Before he can enter the tomb, Romeo encounters who?
(d) Friar Laurence.
2. After Juliet takes the potion, the friar will do what?
(a) Send a letter to Capulet telling him Juliet is not really dead.
(b) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come get Juliet.
(c) Send a letter to Romeo telling him Juliet is dead.
(d) Send a letter to Romeo telling him to come home and confess.
3. Because Juliet finds Romeo dead, she _____________.
(a) Begs the friar for an explanation.
(b) Marries Paris.
(c) Runs from the vault.
(d) Stabs herself with his dagger.
4. Who dies during Act 3, Scene 1?
(a) Mercutio and Benvolio.
(b) Tybalt and Balthasar.
(c) Mercutio and Tybalt.
(d) Benvolio and Tybalt.
5. Friar Laurence tells Friar John that ____________.
(a) Refusing to deliver the letter was a crime.
(b) Neglecting the letter could cause danger.
(c) Refusing to deliver the letter has caused many deaths.
(d) Neglecting the letter would get him in trouble.
6. The nurse tells Capulet to go to bed so that ______________.
(a) He will get out of everyone's way.
(b) He will not be so angry in the morning.
(c) He will not find out what Juliet is up to.
(d) He will not be sick for the wedding day.
7. Who gave the letter to Romeo explaining about Juliet?
(a) Balthasar delivered the letter.
(b) No one was able to deliver the letter.
(c) Friar Laurence delivered the letter.
(d) Benvolio delivered the letter.
8. When Capulet hears of Juliet's refusal to marry Paris, he does what?
(a) Plans to reschedule the wedding.
(b) Figures out she is already married to Romeo.
(c) Threatens to hit her.
(d) Threatens to disown her.
9. The friar claims he is uneasy about Paris' wedding to Juliet because _________________.
(a) It has been postponed so many times, he is sure Juliet does not return his feelings.
(b) It is being rushed, and Capulet is unsure of Paris' character.
(c) Juliet has confessed she does not love Paris.
(d) It is being rushed, and Paris is not sure of Juliet's feelings.
10. Juliet calls Romeo "beautiful tyrant" and "fiend angelical," which are examples of ____________.
(a) A simile.
(b) A metaphor.
(c) An allusion.
(d) An oxymoron.
11. What does Juliet asks the nurse to give Romeo in Act 3, Scene 2?
(a) An apology.
(b) A necklace.
(c) A ring.
(d) A refusal to his marriage proposal.
12. Before she falls unconscious, Juliet thinks she sees ______________.
(a) Romeo's ghost come to take her to her grave.
(b) Tybalt's ghost coming to take her to her grave.
(c) Tybalt's ghost seeking Romeo.
(d) Romeo standing in the window.
13. Why does Romeo visit the apothecary in Act 5, Scene 1?
(a) He wants to buy a potion to wake Juliet.
(b) He wants to buy poison to kill Paris.
(c) He wants to buy poison so he can kill himself and be with Juliet.
(d) He wants to buy a potion to fake his own death.
14. Romeo finds relief from his anguish in Act 3, Scene 3 when _____________.
(a) The nurse gives him Juliet's ring.
(b) The nurse comforts him.
(c) The priest tells him he is banished.
(d) The priest tells him to leave town.
15. Juliet threatens to do what in Act 4, Scene 1?
(a) Tell her parents the truth.
(b) Run away tonight.
(c) Kill Paris.
(d) Kill herself.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why do the musicians refuse to play at the end of Act 4, Scene 5?
2. What is Paris' response to the scheduled wedding date?
3. What peace has arrived in Verona at the end of the play?
4. Juliet worries that she will wake before Romeo arrives and
5. Why is Juliet ready to go to church, but "never to return"?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)