|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is there more "peril" in Juliet's eye than in her kinsmen's swords?
(a) Because Romeo cannot fight a female.
(b) Because Juliet's love is unhealthy.
(c) Because the risk of loving Juliet puts him in danger.
(d) Because Juliet is deceitful and may kill him.
2. Who do Sampson and Gregory first encounter in the city square in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Romeo and Juliet.
(b) Capulet and Montague.
(c) Abram and Balthasar, of the Montagues.
(d) Prince Escalus.
3. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and therefore invites no one.
(b) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and asks a Montague's help.
(c) He cannot speak, but has been instructed to invite guests to the party.
(d) He cannot understand Italian, and does not get Capulet's instructions.
4. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
(a) The lovers will still have a chance to meet and be together.
(b) The lovers will overcome their families and be happy.
(c) The lovers will learn to love each other.
(d) The lovers will still have a chance to tell their families about their love.
5. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
6. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
(a) Political exile for both families.
(b) Bankruptcy in both families.
(c) Violence and death in both families.
(d) Social ostracization for both families.
7. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
(a) From different towns.
(b) From different countries.
(c) From feuding kingdoms.
(d) From feuding families.
8. How does the word dignity in line 1 of the prologue suggest both houses are alike?
(a) In sadness.
(b) In social standing.
(c) In relation to Prince Escalus.
(d) In violence.
9. Romeo's last speech during Act 1, Scene 4 reveals what?
(a) He fears Mercutio will come to an unfortunate end.
(b) He fears something bad will happen as a result of the night's activities.
(c) He fears he will never find his future wife if they do not get to the party soon.
(d) He fears he will never earn Rosaline's love.
10. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
(a) Too gentle.
(b) Too tender.
(c) Too rough.
(d) Too heavy.
11. Throughout their first meeting, what do Romeo and Juliet compare themselves to?
12. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
(c) Social status.
13. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse shares Romeo's plan to do what?
(a) Climb into Juliet's room using a rope.
(b) Marry Rosaline.
(c) Answer Tybalt's challenge.
(d) Bribe the guards to let him in.
14. The Prince reveals that there have already been ____________.
(a) Six battles between families.
(b) Two battles between families.
(c) Four battles between families.
(d) Three battles between families.
15. What will be Juliet's excuse for leaving the house to go to church that afternoon?
(a) She will say she is going to meet Tybalt.
(b) She will say she is going to marry Romeo.
(c) She will say she is going to meet Paris.
(d) She will say she is going to confession.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
2. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
3. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
4. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
This section contains 632 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)