|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) For Peter to arrive with news of Romeo.
(b) For the nurse to arrive with news of Romeo.
(c) For Mercutio to arrive with news of Romeo.
(d) For Romeo to arrive.
2. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
(b) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(c) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
(d) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
3. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
(a) Anger him.
(b) Make him cry.
(c) Cause him to come out from hiding.
(d) Only make him hide longer.
4. What does Juliet discover about Romeo through the nurse at the end of Act 1?
(a) He is a Montague, and therefore an enemy to her.
(b) He is already involved with Rosaline.
(c) He wishes to marry her the next day.
(d) He was only at the party to anger Tybalt.
5. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
(a) Fire and gunpowder.
(b) Swords and guns.
(c) Fire and water.
(d) Gunpowder and bullets.
6. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
(a) A violent storm.
(b) A fish.
(c) A beautiful horse.
(d) A beautiful book.
7. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
(a) He is ashamed of his behavior with Juliet.
(b) He is still pining for Rosaline.
(c) He knows they will tease him about Juliet.
(d) He is afraid of Tybalt.
8. At the Capulet party, Romeo takes Juliet's hand, then offers to do what?
(a) Ask her to dance to excuse his forwardness.
(b) Kiss her on the lips to distract her from his touch.
(c) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
(d) Kiss her hand to make up for his rough touch.
9. In lines 186-196, Romeo compares love to all of the following EXCEPT what?
(a) A smoke made with the fume of sighs.
(b) A clenching pain in the heart.
(c) A sea nourished with tears.
(d) A preserving sweet.
10. When Tybalt discovers Romeo's presence at the Capulet party, he does what?
(a) Tells Capulet, who advises Tybalt to challenge Romeo.
(b) Tells Capulet, who advises Tybalt to ignore Romeo.
(c) Tells Mercution, who advises Romeo to leave.
(d) Tells Juliet, who refuses to speak to Romeo.
11. Juliet's behavior toward her mother could be described as __________.
12. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Illness and a cure.
(b) Madness and imprisonment.
(c) Joy and delight.
(d) Ignorance and illiteracy.
13. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(b) He wants to avoid going home.
(c) He wants to make confession.
(d) He wants to marry Juliet today.
14. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
(a) Avoiding his friends all day.
(b) Spending so much time talking to the nurse.
(c) Leaving his friends at the dance so he could avoid Tybalt.
(d) Leaving his friends behind the previous night.
15. Where are Romeo and his friends going during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To the Capulet's party.
(b) To the Montague's party.
(c) To the friar's cell.
(d) To Romeo's party.
Short Answer Questions
1. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
2. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
3. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
4. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
5. The grudge between feuding families is described as _______.
This section contains 649 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)