|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(b) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(c) He refuses to leave the house.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
2. In Act 1, Prologue, the chorus asks the audience to be what?
3. Where are Romeo and his friends going during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To the Capulet's party.
(b) To the friar's cell.
(c) To the Montague's party.
(d) To Romeo's party.
4. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
(a) Seek her own husband.
(b) Seek a husband who will stand up to her father.
(c) Seek love wherever she can find it.
(d) Seek happy nights to happy days.
5. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
(a) Go back to the party to find Romeo.
(b) Mock Romeo to force him to come out of hiding.
(c) Follow Romeo into the Capulet's orchard.
(d) Call for Romeo.
6. Juliet's soliloquy in Act 2, Scene 2 suggests Romeo's name alone ___________.
(a) Proves he is an honorable man.
(b) Does not make him a worthwhile catch.
(c) Means he must have been lying to her.
(d) Does not make him her enemy.
7. Civil blood has made civil hands unclean because ____________.
(a) Members of both families have killed one another.
(b) The families' actions have made murder an acceptable act.
(c) All of the town's civilians are killing one another.
(d) Members of both families have joined the prince's war.
8. At the Capulet party, Romeo takes Juliet's hand, then offers to do what?
(a) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
(b) Kiss her hand to make up for his rough touch.
(c) Ask her to dance to excuse his forwardness.
(d) Kiss her on the lips to distract her from his touch.
9. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
(d) Inciting violence.
10. Why does Lady Capulet not feel Juliet is too young to get married?
(a) She wants Juliet to become a mother soon.
(b) She herself was a mother at Juliet's age.
(c) Juliet is a legal adult.
(d) She herself wants to marry Paris.
11. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
(a) Lying to Juliet.
(b) Being indifferent to Juliet's love.
(c) Being fickle in love.
(d) Lying to his parents.
12. in Act 1, Scene, what does Juliet agrees to do?
(a) Consider Romeo as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(b) Consider Paris as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(c) Discuss marriage with Paris that evening.
(d) Consider marriage, but not with Paris.
13. Romeo's last speech during Act 1, Scene 4 reveals what?
(a) He fears something bad will happen as a result of the night's activities.
(b) He fears he will never find his future wife if they do not get to the party soon.
(c) He fears he will never earn Rosaline's love.
(d) He fears Mercutio will come to an unfortunate end.
14. Who advises Romeo to "beat love down"?
15. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Leave his friends and go home.
(b) Return to the Capulet's house to find Juliet.
(c) Go home with his friends.
(d) Return to the Capulet's house to find Rosaline.
Short Answer Questions
1. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
2. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
3. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
4. Why must Romeo and Juliet must "steal" their love?
5. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)