|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
(a) Support from friends.
2. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
(a) She thinks comparisons to the moon are corny.
(b) She cannot see the moon on cloudy nights.
(c) The moon is symbolically evil.
(d) The moon is constantly changing.
3. The chorus promises that anything left out of the prologue will be __________.
(a) Covered during the events of the play.
(b) Made clear in the prologues to other Acts.
(d) Obvious to the audience.
4. The Capulet servant approaches Romeo in Act 1, Scene 2 to ask him what?
(a) If Romeo can read.
(b) Advice about delivering the invitations.
(c) If Romeo would like to attend the party.
(d) Directions to Capulet's house.
5. What irony faces Capulet's servant in Act 1, Scene 2?
(a) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and therefore invites no one.
(b) He cannot understand Italian, and does not get Capulet's instructions.
(c) He cannot speak, but has been instructed to invite guests to the party.
(d) He cannot read the list of invited guests, and asks a Montague's help.
6. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
(a) He is ashamed of his behavior with Juliet.
(b) He is afraid of Tybalt.
(c) He knows they will tease him about Juliet.
(d) He is still pining for Rosaline.
7. Juliet considers herself wealthy in Act 2, Scene 6 because __________.
(a) Romeo's family is wealthy.
(b) She has true love.
(c) Her father is wealthy.
(d) She will have a large inheritance.
8. When the nurse finally arrives at Juliet's room in Act 2, Scene 5, she claims ___________.
(a) She is too hungry to talk.
(b) She has only bad news.
(c) She could not find Romeo.
(d) She is too tired to talk.
9. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
(a) Love violently.
(b) Love passionately.
(c) Love moderately.
(d) Love calmly.
10. What ultimately ends the feud between the Capulets and Montagues?
(a) A desperate plea from Romeo and Juliet.
(b) A final, decisive battle.
(c) The deaths of Romeo and Juliet.
(d) The prince's exile of both families.
11. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
12. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Leave his friends and go home.
(b) Go home with his friends.
(c) Return to the Capulet's house to find Juliet.
(d) Return to the Capulet's house to find Rosaline.
13. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
14. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
(a) Seek happy nights to happy days.
(b) Seek love wherever she can find it.
(c) Seek a husband who will stand up to her father.
(d) Seek her own husband.
15. In lines 11 and 12, Romeo says, "Give me a torch, I am not for this ambling./Being but heavy, I will bear the light." This is an example of what?
(b) A simile.
(c) An allegory.
(d) A pun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Romeo arranges to send a man to the nurse with _______________.
2. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
3. In Act 1, Prologue, the chorus asks the audience to be what?
4. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)