|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does the word dignity in line 1 of the prologue suggest both houses are alike?
(a) In relation to Prince Escalus.
(b) In violence.
(c) In sadness.
(d) In social standing.
2. Capulet allows that his consent is one part of the courtship agreement, but the other part is ___________.
(a) Juliet's dowry.
(b) Juliet's consent.
(c) Lady Capulet's permission.
(d) The Prince's permission.
3. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Illness and a cure.
(b) Joy and delight.
(c) Madness and imprisonment.
(d) Ignorance and illiteracy.
4. Who is looking for Juliet at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The nurse.
(b) Lady Capulet.
(d) Lady Montague.
5. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
(a) Romeo's discouragement over Rosaline.
(b) The feud between the families.
(c) The Prince's declaration about the feud.
(d) The upcoming party at Capulet's house.
6. In Romeo's opening speech in Act 2, Scene 2, he refers to Juliet as __________.
(a) An Ethiopian princess.
(b) The moon.
(c) The sun.
(d) The goddess Diana.
7. Who advises Romeo to "beat love down"?
8. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
(a) Wise beyond her years.
(b) Too hasty.
(c) Simple or foolish.
(d) Upsetting to her parents.
9. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
(a) He is still pining for Rosaline.
(b) He knows they will tease him about Juliet.
(c) He is afraid of Tybalt.
(d) He is ashamed of his behavior with Juliet.
10. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
(b) Juliet's age.
(c) Paris' social position.
(d) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
11. Romeo claims his love for Juliet is different from his love for Rosaline because ________________.
(a) Juliet is his enemy, while Rosaline was not.
(b) Juliet loves him back, where Rosaline did not.
(c) Juliet is wealthy, while Rosaline was not.
(d) Rosaline loves him back, while Juliet did not.
12. What does Juliet discover about Romeo through the nurse at the end of Act 1?
(a) He wishes to marry her the next day.
(b) He was only at the party to anger Tybalt.
(c) He is a Montague, and therefore an enemy to her.
(d) He is already involved with Rosaline.
13. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
(a) For Romeo to arrive.
(b) For Peter to arrive with news of Romeo.
(c) For the nurse to arrive with news of Romeo.
(d) For Mercutio to arrive with news of Romeo.
14. When will Paris will get his first chance to woo Juliet?
(a) At the Prince's party that evening.
(b) At Friar Lawrence's cell.
(c) At Capulet's party that evening.
(d) At his wedding to Juliet.
15. Mercutio asks Romeo to leave the nurse and do what?
(a) Come to meet Tybalt's challenge.
(b) Come to his father's house for dinner.
(c) Come to the Capulet's party.
(d) Come to view other beauties.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
2. Juliet's soliloquy in Act 2, Scene 2 suggests Romeo's name alone ___________.
3. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
4. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
5. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
This section contains 597 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)