|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who arrives to talk to Romeo in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) The friar.
(d) The Nurse.
2. When Tybalt discovers Romeo's presence at the Capulet party, he does what?
(a) Tells Juliet, who refuses to speak to Romeo.
(b) Tells Capulet, who advises Tybalt to ignore Romeo.
(c) Tells Mercution, who advises Romeo to leave.
(d) Tells Capulet, who advises Tybalt to challenge Romeo.
3. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
(a) He cannot remember his name.
(b) His name is hard to pronounce in Italian.
(c) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and therefore hateful to him.
(d) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and he is afraid to identify himself at her home.
4. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
(a) Seek a husband who will stand up to her father.
(b) Seek happy nights to happy days.
(c) Seek love wherever she can find it.
(d) Seek her own husband.
5. Where does the play take place?
(a) Naples, Italy.
(b) Verona, Italy.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Rome, Italy.
6. The grudge between feuding families is described as _______.
7. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
(a) Go home without Romeo.
(b) Go back to the party to find Tybalt.
(c) Go to Friar Lawrence's cell to ask his advice.
(d) Follow Romeo to see what he is doing.
8. The Prince reveals that there have already been ____________.
(a) Six battles between families.
(b) Two battles between families.
(c) Three battles between families.
(d) Four battles between families.
9. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
(a) Wise beyond her years.
(b) Simple or foolish.
(c) Too hasty.
(d) Upsetting to her parents.
10. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
(a) The feud between the families.
(b) The upcoming party at Capulet's house.
(c) Romeo's discouragement over Rosaline.
(d) The Prince's declaration about the feud.
11. What does Juliet discover about Romeo through the nurse at the end of Act 1?
(a) He is a Montague, and therefore an enemy to her.
(b) He was only at the party to anger Tybalt.
(c) He is already involved with Rosaline.
(d) He wishes to marry her the next day.
12. Capulet allows that his consent is one part of the courtship agreement, but the other part is ___________.
(a) Juliet's consent.
(b) Lady Capulet's permission.
(c) The Prince's permission.
(d) Juliet's dowry.
13. Mercutio attempts to "conjure" Romeo by in Act 2, Scene 1 by doing what?
(a) Listing Rosaline's virtues.
(b) Listing Juliet's virtues.
(c) Teasing him about Juliet.
(d) Threatening to reveal his presence to Tybalt.
14. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He refuses to leave the house.
(b) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
(c) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(d) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
15. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse shares Romeo's plan to do what?
(a) Climb into Juliet's room using a rope.
(b) Bribe the guards to let him in.
(c) Marry Rosaline.
(d) Answer Tybalt's challenge.
Short Answer Questions
1. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
2. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
3. In lines 11 and 12, Romeo says, "Give me a torch, I am not for this ambling./Being but heavy, I will bear the light." This is an example of what?
4. Throughout their first meeting, what do Romeo and Juliet compare themselves to?
5. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the nurse warn Romeo against?
This section contains 623 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)