|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Romeo dares death to ________________.
(a) Do his worst.
(b) Come and take him now while he is in church.
(c) Claim him before Tybalt can get to him.
(d) Do what he dare if Romeo is allowed to marry Juliet.
2. The girl Romeo loves "has Dian's wit," which means _______.
(a) She is chaste, and therefore not interested in an affair with Romeo.
(b) She is much smarter than Romeo.
(c) She is a disciple of the goddess Diana, and will therefore become a nun.
(d) She is interested in marriage only if it improves her social standing.
3. What ultimately ends the feud between the Capulets and Montagues?
(a) The prince's exile of both families.
(b) The deaths of Romeo and Juliet.
(c) A desperate plea from Romeo and Juliet.
(d) A final, decisive battle.
4. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
(d) Social status.
5. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
(d) Support from friends.
6. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
(a) He cannot remember his name.
(b) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and he is afraid to identify himself at her home.
(c) His name is an enemy to Juliet, and therefore hateful to him.
(d) His name is hard to pronounce in Italian.
7. At the end of the Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo promises to ___________.
(a) Meet Juliet at the friar's cell.
(b) Send word to Juliet about his intentions.
(c) Stay away from Tybalt.
(d) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
8. At the Capulet party, Romeo takes Juliet's hand, then offers to do what?
(a) Ask her to dance to excuse his forwardness.
(b) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
(c) Kiss her on the lips to distract her from his touch.
(d) Kiss her hand to make up for his rough touch.
9. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He refuses to leave the house.
(b) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(c) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
10. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Paris' social position.
(b) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
(c) Juliet's age.
(d) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
11. The Capulet servant approaches Romeo in Act 1, Scene 2 to ask him what?
(a) If Romeo can read.
(b) If Romeo would like to attend the party.
(c) Advice about delivering the invitations.
(d) Directions to Capulet's house.
12. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
(a) Only make him hide longer.
(b) Anger him.
(c) Cause him to come out from hiding.
(d) Make him cry.
13. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(b) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(c) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
(d) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
14. What does the nurse say about the man who is lucky enough to marry Juliet?
(a) He will gain her money with the marriage.
(b) He will have to fight Tybalt first.
(c) He will have to compete with Paris.
(d) He will have to gain her father's approval.
15. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
Short Answer Questions
1. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
2. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
3. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
4. Romeo claims he is in love as the play opens, but is unhappy because ______________.
5. The Prince reveals that there have already been ____________.
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)