|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In lines 11 and 12, Romeo says, "Give me a torch, I am not for this ambling./Being but heavy, I will bear the light." This is an example of what?
(a) A simile.
(c) An allegory.
(d) A pun.
2. Where does the play take place?
(a) Verona, Italy.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Florence, Italy.
(d) Naples, Italy.
3. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
(b) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(c) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(d) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
4. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet first asks the nurse to do what?
(a) Call Juliet, then changes her mind.
(b) Stay, then asks her to leave.
(c) Leave the room, then asks her to stay.
(d) Summon Capulet, then changes her mind.
5. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
(a) From feuding families.
(b) From feuding kingdoms.
(c) From different countries.
(d) From different towns.
6. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
(a) She cannot see the moon on cloudy nights.
(b) She thinks comparisons to the moon are corny.
(c) The moon is symbolically evil.
(d) The moon is constantly changing.
7. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Return to the Capulet's house to find Juliet.
(b) Leave his friends and go home.
(c) Go home with his friends.
(d) Return to the Capulet's house to find Rosaline.
8. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
(b) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
(c) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(d) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
9. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Juliet's age.
(b) Paris' social position.
(c) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
(d) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
10. Juliet considers herself wealthy in Act 2, Scene 6 because __________.
(a) Her father is wealthy.
(b) She has true love.
(c) Romeo's family is wealthy.
(d) She will have a large inheritance.
11. At the beginning of Act 2, Scene 1, Benvolio asks Mercutio to do what?
(a) Go back to the party to find Romeo.
(b) Call for Romeo.
(c) Mock Romeo to force him to come out of hiding.
(d) Follow Romeo into the Capulet's orchard.
12. In Act 2, Scene 3, the friar believes Romeo never went to bed because ___________.
(a) He was with Rosaline.
(b) He was fighting with Tybalt.
(c) He was hiding from his father.
(d) He was carousing drunkenly with his friends.
13. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
14. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
15. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He refuses to leave the house.
(b) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(c) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(d) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
Short Answer Questions
1. What will be Juliet's excuse for leaving the house to go to church that afternoon?
2. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
3. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
4. When will Paris will get his first chance to woo Juliet?
5. The chorus promises that anything left out of the prologue will be __________.
This section contains 664 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)