|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
(a) For all the damage done.
(b) With their lives.
(c) In heavy prison sentences.
(d) A hefty fine.
2. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
(a) From feuding kingdoms.
(b) From feuding families.
(c) From different towns.
(d) From different countries.
3. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
(a) Political exile for both families.
(b) Social ostracization for both families.
(c) Bankruptcy in both families.
(d) Violence and death in both families.
4. How does the word dignity in line 1 of the prologue suggest both houses are alike?
(a) In violence.
(b) In sadness.
(c) In social standing.
(d) In relation to Prince Escalus.
5. What ultimately ends the feud between the Capulets and Montagues?
(a) The prince's exile of both families.
(b) The deaths of Romeo and Juliet.
(c) A desperate plea from Romeo and Juliet.
(d) A final, decisive battle.
6. At the end of the Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo promises to ___________.
(a) Meet Juliet at the friar's cell.
(b) Stay away from Tybalt.
(c) Send word to Juliet about his intentions.
(d) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
7. In Act 1, Scene 1, Tybalt accuses Benvolio of what?
(a) Inciting violence.
8. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
(a) Prince Escalus.
9. Why is Romeo no longer interested in Rosaline in Act 2?
(a) He forgot about her when Benvolio advised him to.
(b) He did not see her at the party.
(c) He is now bitter about love.
(d) He is now in love with Juliet.
10. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
(b) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(c) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
(d) He refuses to leave the house.
11. Who is looking for Juliet at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) The nurse.
(b) Lady Montague.
(c) Lady Capulet.
12. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
(a) Tybalt has challenged Mercutio.
(b) Tybalt has challenged Benvolio.
(c) Tybalt has challenged Paris.
(d) Tybalt has challenged Romeo.
13. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
(b) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(c) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(d) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
14. In Act 2, Scene 4, what does the nurse warn Romeo against?
(a) Falsely leading Juliet on.
(b) Losing Capulet's blessing.
(c) Marrying Juliet for her money.
(d) Running into Tybalt.
15. When the friar says Romeo's love "could read by rote, that could not spell," what is he suggesting?
(a) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Rosaline.
(b) Romeo was simply distracting himself from his feelings for Rosaline by courting Juliet.
(c) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Juliet.
(d) Romeo was simply playing the part of a lover, but not really in love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Civil blood has made civil hands unclean because ____________.
2. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
3. The Capulet servant approaches Romeo in Act 1, Scene 2 to ask him what?
4. After reviewing the Capulet servant's list, Benvolio discovers that _________________.
5. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse says that Juliet's choice in Romeo is ___________.
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)