|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
(a) Return to the Capulet's house to find Juliet.
(b) Go home with his friends.
(c) Return to the Capulet's house to find Rosaline.
(d) Leave his friends and go home.
2. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to make confession.
(b) He wants to marry Juliet today.
(c) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(d) He wants to avoid going home.
3. Mercutio asks Romeo to leave the nurse and do what?
(a) Come to meet Tybalt's challenge.
(b) Come to the Capulet's party.
(c) Come to his father's house for dinner.
(d) Come to view other beauties.
4. Mercutio attempts to "conjure" Romeo by in Act 2, Scene 1 by doing what?
(a) Teasing him about Juliet.
(b) Listing Rosaline's virtues.
(c) Threatening to reveal his presence to Tybalt.
(d) Listing Juliet's virtues.
5. Romeo dares death to ________________.
(a) Come and take him now while he is in church.
(b) Do what he dare if Romeo is allowed to marry Juliet.
(c) Claim him before Tybalt can get to him.
(d) Do his worst.
6. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
(a) A hefty fine.
(b) With their lives.
(c) In heavy prison sentences.
(d) For all the damage done.
7. Romeo's last speech during Act 1, Scene 4 reveals what?
(a) He fears he will never find his future wife if they do not get to the party soon.
(b) He fears he will never earn Rosaline's love.
(c) He fears Mercutio will come to an unfortunate end.
(d) He fears something bad will happen as a result of the night's activities.
8. In the play's first scene, Benvolio advises Romeo to _________.
(a) Propose to Rosaline.
(b) Pursue Juliet.
(c) Leave Rosaline.
(d) Forget Rosaline.
9. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
(a) Ask a servant where Tybalt is.
(b) Ask Tybalt who Juliet is.
(c) Ask a servant who Juliet is.
(d) Ask Capulet for permission to dance with Juliet.
10. The prologue is supposed to ______________.
(a) Reveal the murderers.
(b) Tell the ending of the play.
(c) Give a brief overview of the story.
(d) Describe the town and the time period.
11. In lines 186-196, Romeo compares love to all of the following EXCEPT what?
(a) A smoke made with the fume of sighs.
(b) A clenching pain in the heart.
(c) A sea nourished with tears.
(d) A preserving sweet.
12. In Romeo's opening speech in Act 2, Scene 2, he refers to Juliet as __________.
(a) The moon.
(b) The sun.
(c) The goddess Diana.
(d) An Ethiopian princess.
13. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They promise him to behave.
(b) They are married.
(c) They make confession.
(d) They talk to their parents.
14. When the friar says Romeo's love "could read by rote, that could not spell," what is he suggesting?
(a) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Juliet.
(b) Romeo was lying about his feelings for Rosaline.
(c) Romeo was simply playing the part of a lover, but not really in love.
(d) Romeo was simply distracting himself from his feelings for Rosaline by courting Juliet.
15. Why must Romeo and Juliet must "steal" their love?
(a) They have to hide their love from Rosaline.
(b) They do not really know each other.
(c) They cannot reveal it to either family.
(d) They cannot reveal it legally.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Juliet waiting for at the start of Act 2, Scene 5?
2. Romeo claims he does not know what name he should identify himself by because _______________.
3. At the Capulet party, Romeo takes Juliet's hand, then offers to do what?
4. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
5. In Act 2, Scene 3, the friar believes Romeo never went to bed because ___________.
This section contains 721 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)