|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. At the end of the Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo promises to ___________.
(a) Stay away from Tybalt.
(b) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
(c) Meet Juliet at the friar's cell.
(d) Send word to Juliet about his intentions.
2. What young affection does the prologue of Act 2 refer to?
(a) Mercutio's new interest in Rosaline.
(b) Tybalt's new admiration for Romeo.
(c) Romeo's renewed interested in Rosaline.
(d) Romeo and Juliet's new love for each other.
3. Throughout their first meeting, what do Romeo and Juliet compare themselves to?
4. The feud between the Capulets and Montagues has caused ______________.
(a) Political exile for both families.
(b) Violence and death in both families.
(c) Social ostracization for both families.
(d) Bankruptcy in both families.
5. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
(a) Three hours.
(b) Two hours.
(c) Four hours.
(d) One hour.
6. At the end of Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse finally reveals that Romeo will __________________.
(a) Marry Juliet at the friar's cell that afternoon.
(b) Leave for Mantua immediately.
(c) Meet Juliet in the city square.
(d) Ask Capulet for Juliet's hand in marriage.
7. Where does the play take place?
(a) Florence, Italy.
(b) Rome, Italy.
(c) Naples, Italy.
(d) Verona, Italy.
8. The prologue is supposed to ______________.
(a) Reveal the murderers.
(b) Describe the town and the time period.
(c) Tell the ending of the play.
(d) Give a brief overview of the story.
9. Where are Romeo and his friends going during Act 1, Scene 4?
(a) To the Capulet's party.
(b) To Romeo's party.
(c) To the Montague's party.
(d) To the friar's cell.
10. The Capulet servant tells Romeo and Benvolio they may attend the party if ___________________.
(a) They arrive early and hide from Capulet.
(b) They agree to deliver the invitations for him.
(c) They are not of the house of Montague.
(d) They can sneak in without being caught.
11. Why is Romeo no longer interested in Rosaline in Act 2?
(a) He forgot about her when Benvolio advised him to.
(b) He is now in love with Juliet.
(c) He did not see her at the party.
(d) He is now bitter about love.
12. The nurse's attitude toward Paris could be described as what?
13. Romeo alludes to Cupid because ____________.
(a) Cupid is the god of heartbreak.
(b) Cupid is the god of war.
(c) Cupid is the god of love.
(d) Cupid is the god of beauty.
14. What does Juliet discover about Romeo through the nurse at the end of Act 1?
(a) He was only at the party to anger Tybalt.
(b) He wishes to marry her the next day.
(c) He is already involved with Rosaline.
(d) He is a Montague, and therefore an enemy to her.
15. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to marry Juliet today.
(b) He wants to make confession.
(c) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(d) He wants to avoid going home.
Short Answer Questions
1. Civil blood has made civil hands unclean because ____________.
2. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
3. Benvolio and Mercutio believe Romeo is hiding in Act 2, Scene 1 because __________________.
4. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
5. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
This section contains 621 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)