|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Romeo's opening speech in Act 2, Scene 2, he refers to Juliet as __________.
(a) An Ethiopian princess.
(b) The sun.
(c) The moon.
(d) The goddess Diana.
2. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They talk to their parents.
(b) They are married.
(c) They make confession.
(d) They promise him to behave.
3. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to marry Juliet today.
(b) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(c) He wants to make confession.
(d) He wants to avoid going home.
4. Romeo arranges to send a man to the nurse with _______________.
(a) Ropes to make a ladder to climb to Juliet's room.
(b) Ropes to tie up the guard so he can climb to Juliet's room.
(c) Money to use as a bribe for the guards outside Juliet's room.
(d) Money to escape to Mantua with him.
5. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
(a) He hides in his room and has been miserable lately.
(b) He refuses to leave the house.
(c) He is in love with Rosaline, of whom they do not approve.
(d) He has been part of so many brawls recently.
6. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
(c) Prince Escalus.
7. The chorus promises that anything left out of the prologue will be __________.
(a) Obvious to the audience.
(b) Made clear in the prologues to other Acts.
(c) Covered during the events of the play.
8. When Romeo arrives in Act 2, Scene 4, he apologizes for ___________.
(a) Spending so much time talking to the nurse.
(b) Leaving his friends behind the previous night.
(c) Leaving his friends at the dance so he could avoid Tybalt.
(d) Avoiding his friends all day.
9. Why does Lady Capulet not feel Juliet is too young to get married?
(a) Juliet is a legal adult.
(b) She herself was a mother at Juliet's age.
(c) She herself wants to marry Paris.
(d) She wants Juliet to become a mother soon.
10. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
(b) Support from friends.
11. Romeo and Juliet are ______________.
(a) From different towns.
(b) From different countries.
(c) From feuding kingdoms.
(d) From feuding families.
12. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Joy and delight.
(b) Madness and imprisonment.
(c) Illness and a cure.
(d) Ignorance and illiteracy.
13. Who advises Romeo to "beat love down"?
14. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
(d) Planned by God.
15. Friar Laurence chastises Romeo for what?
(a) Being fickle in love.
(b) Lying to his parents.
(c) Being indifferent to Juliet's love.
(d) Lying to Juliet.
Short Answer Questions
1. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
2. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. Throughout their first meeting, what do Romeo and Juliet compare themselves to?
4. What does Juliet discover about Romeo through the nurse at the end of Act 1?
5. Romeo alludes to Cupid because ____________.
This section contains 569 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)