|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The nurse's statement, "Women grow by men," alludes to what?
(d) Social status.
2. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet first asks the nurse to do what?
(a) Stay, then asks her to leave.
(b) Call Juliet, then changes her mind.
(c) Summon Capulet, then changes her mind.
(d) Leave the room, then asks her to stay.
3. Juliet's soliloquy in Act 2, Scene 2 suggests Romeo's name alone ___________.
(a) Proves he is an honorable man.
(b) Means he must have been lying to her.
(c) Does not make him her enemy.
(d) Does not make him a worthwhile catch.
4. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They promise him to behave.
(b) They make confession.
(c) They are married.
(d) They talk to their parents.
5. At the end of Act 2, Scene 1, what do Benvolio and Mercutio decide to do>
(a) Follow Romeo to see what he is doing.
(b) Go home without Romeo.
(c) Go back to the party to find Tybalt.
(d) Go to Friar Lawrence's cell to ask his advice.
6. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
(a) Two hours.
(b) Three hours.
(c) One hour.
(d) Four hours.
7. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
(a) The moon is symbolically evil.
(b) She cannot see the moon on cloudy nights.
(c) She thinks comparisons to the moon are corny.
(d) The moon is constantly changing.
8. Where does the play take place?
(a) Naples, Italy.
(b) Florence, Italy.
(c) Verona, Italy.
(d) Rome, Italy.
9. The nurse's dialogue reveals Juliet's age to be how old?
10. Benvolio suggests Romeo attend the Capulet party in order to ______________.
(a) Pick a fight with Tybalt.
(b) Challenge Paris' courtship of Juliet.
(c) Apologize to Capulet.
(d) Compare Rosaline to other beauties.
11. in Act 1, Scene, what does Juliet agrees to do?
(a) Consider Paris as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(b) Consider marriage, but not with Paris.
(c) Consider Romeo as a husband, if that is what her parents want.
(d) Discuss marriage with Paris that evening.
12. Finally, the nurse advises Juliet to ____________.
(a) Seek her own husband.
(b) Seek a husband who will stand up to her father.
(c) Seek love wherever she can find it.
(d) Seek happy nights to happy days.
13. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
(a) The lovers will still have a chance to meet and be together.
(b) The lovers will overcome their families and be happy.
(c) The lovers will still have a chance to tell their families about their love.
(d) The lovers will learn to love each other.
14. Throughout their first meeting, what do Romeo and Juliet compare themselves to?
15. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
(a) The upcoming party at Capulet's house.
(b) Romeo's discouragement over Rosaline.
(c) The Prince's declaration about the feud.
(d) The feud between the families.
Short Answer Questions
1. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
2. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
3. At the beginning of the play, Montague and Lady Montague are concerned about Romeo because _________.
4. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
5. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)