|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet first asks the nurse to do what?
(a) Call Juliet, then changes her mind.
(b) Leave the room, then asks her to stay.
(c) Summon Capulet, then changes her mind.
(d) Stay, then asks her to leave.
2. According to the Prologue of Act 2, what lends the couple power?
(d) Support from friends.
3. Benvolio suggests Romeo attend the Capulet party in order to ______________.
(a) Pick a fight with Tybalt.
(b) Apologize to Capulet.
(c) Challenge Paris' courtship of Juliet.
(d) Compare Rosaline to other beauties.
4. Who tries to discourage the battle in Act 1, Scene 1?
5. The chorus promises that anything left out of the prologue will be __________.
(a) Made clear in the prologues to other Acts.
(b) Obvious to the audience.
(d) Covered during the events of the play.
6. At the Capulet party, Romeo takes Juliet's hand, then offers to do what?
(a) Ask her to dance to excuse his forwardness.
(b) Kiss her hand to make up for his rough touch.
(c) Kiss her on the lips to distract her from his touch.
(d) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
7. in Act 2, Scene 4, why are Benvolio and Mercutio discussing Tybalt?
(a) Tybalt has challenged Mercutio.
(b) Tybalt has challenged Benvolio.
(c) Tybalt has challenged Romeo.
(d) Tybalt has challenged Paris.
8. At the end of Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse finally reveals that Romeo will __________________.
(a) Ask Capulet for Juliet's hand in marriage.
(b) Leave for Mantua immediately.
(c) Marry Juliet at the friar's cell that afternoon.
(d) Meet Juliet in the city square.
9. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
(a) The lovers will learn to love each other.
(b) The lovers will overcome their families and be happy.
(c) The lovers will still have a chance to tell their families about their love.
(d) The lovers will still have a chance to meet and be together.
10. At the end of Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo agrees to do what?
(a) Attend the party to make his parents happy.
(b) Attend the party to admire Rosaline.
(c) Attend the party to meet Juliet.
(d) Attend the party to anger the Capulets.
11. When the nurse finally arrives at Juliet's room in Act 2, Scene 5, she claims ___________.
(a) She is too tired to talk.
(b) She could not find Romeo.
(c) She has only bad news.
(d) She is too hungry to talk.
12. In Act 2, Scene 3, the friar believes Romeo never went to bed because ___________.
(a) He was carousing drunkenly with his friends.
(b) He was with Rosaline.
(c) He was hiding from his father.
(d) He was fighting with Tybalt.
13. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
(a) He wants to marry Rosaline today.
(b) He wants to make confession.
(c) He wants to avoid going home.
(d) He wants to marry Juliet today.
14. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
(a) Fire and gunpowder.
(b) Fire and water.
(c) Gunpowder and bullets.
(d) Swords and guns.
15. What young affection does the prologue of Act 2 refer to?
(a) Tybalt's new admiration for Romeo.
(b) Mercutio's new interest in Rosaline.
(c) Romeo's renewed interested in Rosaline.
(d) Romeo and Juliet's new love for each other.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Montague ask for an account of the brawl in Act 1, Scene 1?
2. Romeo arranges to send a man to the nurse with _______________.
3. Friar Laurence believes the alliance between families might _______________.
4. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
5. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
This section contains 653 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)