|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The friar compares too-passionate love to what?
(a) Swords and guns.
(b) Fire and gunpowder.
(c) Gunpowder and bullets.
(d) Fire and water.
2. Why does Juliet tells Romeo not to swear his love by the moon?
(a) The moon is symbolically evil.
(b) She thinks comparisons to the moon are corny.
(c) She cannot see the moon on cloudy nights.
(d) The moon is constantly changing.
3. What does the nurse say about the man who is lucky enough to marry Juliet?
(a) He will have to gain her father's approval.
(b) He will gain her money with the marriage.
(c) He will have to fight Tybalt first.
(d) He will have to compete with Paris.
4. in Act 2, Scene 6, the friar prays that the heavens will do what?
(a) Prevent the marriage if it is not meant to be.
(b) Smile upon Romeo and Juliet's marriage.
(c) Conceal the marriage from Juliet's parents.
(d) Prepare Romeo and Juliet for hardship.
5. The prologue of Act 2 reveals that despite difficulty, __________________.
(a) The lovers will learn to love each other.
(b) The lovers will still have a chance to tell their families about their love.
(c) The lovers will overcome their families and be happy.
(d) The lovers will still have a chance to meet and be together.
6. Capulet's initial objection to Paris courting his daughter is due to what?
(a) Juliet's age.
(b) Paris' social position.
(c) Paris' connection to the Montagues.
(d) Juliet's disdain for marriage.
7. In Act 2, Scene 5, the nurse shares Romeo's plan to do what?
(a) Climb into Juliet's room using a rope.
(b) Marry Rosaline.
(c) Bribe the guards to let him in.
(d) Answer Tybalt's challenge.
8. In Act 1, Scene 3, Lady Capulet first asks the nurse to do what?
(a) Call Juliet, then changes her mind.
(b) Stay, then asks her to leave.
(c) Leave the room, then asks her to stay.
(d) Summon Capulet, then changes her mind.
9. The first action Romeo takes at the Capulet party is to do what?
(a) Ask Capulet for permission to dance with Juliet.
(b) Ask a servant who Juliet is.
(c) Ask Tybalt who Juliet is.
(d) Ask a servant where Tybalt is.
10. The prologue is supposed to ______________.
(a) Reveal the murderers.
(b) Give a brief overview of the story.
(c) Describe the town and the time period.
(d) Tell the ending of the play.
11. The friar will not let Romeo and Juliet stay alone together until what?
(a) They promise him to behave.
(b) They are married.
(c) They talk to their parents.
(d) They make confession.
12. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
(a) With their lives.
(b) For all the damage done.
(c) In heavy prison sentences.
(d) A hefty fine.
13. Romeo arranges to send a man to the nurse with _______________.
(a) Ropes to tie up the guard so he can climb to Juliet's room.
(b) Money to use as a bribe for the guards outside Juliet's room.
(c) Ropes to make a ladder to climb to Juliet's room.
(d) Money to escape to Mantua with him.
14. Lady Capulet compares Paris to what?
(a) A beautiful book.
(b) A violent storm.
(c) A beautiful horse.
(d) A fish.
15. Who is looking for Juliet at the beginning of Act 1, Scene 3?
(a) Lady Montague.
(b) Lady Capulet.
(d) The nurse.
Short Answer Questions
1. How long does the prologue predict the play will be?
2. The nurse's long speech in Act 1, Scene 3 reveals she had what?
3. Romeo alludes to Cupid because ____________.
4. Mercutio attempts to "conjure" Romeo by in Act 2, Scene 1 by doing what?
5. Juliet considers herself wealthy in Act 2, Scene 6 because __________.
This section contains 635 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)