|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why is Romeo down as the men travel to the Capulet party?
(a) Romeo is angry that his friends are teasing him.
(b) Romeo feels guilty for crashing the Capulet party.
(c) Romeo is upset that Juliet is a Capulet.
(d) Romeo is still upset over Rosaline.
2. Benvolio warns Mercutio that taunting Romeo will ________.
(a) Make him cry.
(b) Anger him.
(c) Only make him hide longer.
(d) Cause him to come out from hiding.
3. The Prince reveals that there have already been ____________.
(a) Four battles between families.
(b) Three battles between families.
(c) Two battles between families.
(d) Six battles between families.
4. In Act 1, Scene 2, Romeo compares his thwarted love for Rosaline to ______________.
(a) Madness and imprisonment.
(b) Joy and delight.
(c) Illness and a cure.
(d) Ignorance and illiteracy.
5. Why must Romeo and Juliet must "steal" their love?
(a) They do not really know each other.
(b) They have to hide their love from Rosaline.
(c) They cannot reveal it to either family.
(d) They cannot reveal it legally.
6. Prince Escalus declares that the next time the families disturb the peace, they will pay ________.
(a) With their lives.
(b) A hefty fine.
(c) In heavy prison sentences.
(d) For all the damage done.
7. At the beginning of Act 1, Scene 2, Capulet and Paris discuss _________.
(a) Romeo's discouragement over Rosaline.
(b) The feud between the families.
(c) The Prince's declaration about the feud.
(d) The upcoming party at Capulet's house.
8. Who arrives to talk to Romeo in Act 2, Scene 4?
(a) The friar.
(c) The Nurse.
9. Romeo and Juliet's love is described as star-crossed, which means ____________.
(d) Planned by God.
10. At the end of the Act 2, Scene 2, Romeo promises to ___________.
(a) Ask her father for her hand in marriage.
(b) Stay away from Tybalt.
(c) Meet Juliet at the friar's cell.
(d) Send word to Juliet about his intentions.
11. Civil blood has made civil hands unclean because ____________.
(a) Members of both families have killed one another.
(b) All of the town's civilians are killing one another.
(c) Members of both families have joined the prince's war.
(d) The families' actions have made murder an acceptable act.
12. Benvolio suggests Romeo attend the Capulet party in order to ______________.
(a) Pick a fight with Tybalt.
(b) Apologize to Capulet.
(c) Compare Rosaline to other beauties.
(d) Challenge Paris' courtship of Juliet.
13. After reviewing the Capulet servant's list, Benvolio discovers that _________________.
(a) Juliet will be attending the Capulet's party.
(b) Romeo will be attending the Capulet's party.
(c) Paris will be attending the Capulet's party.
(d) Rosaline will be attending the Capulet's party.
14. What young affection does the prologue of Act 2 refer to?
(a) Romeo's renewed interested in Rosaline.
(b) Tybalt's new admiration for Romeo.
(c) Romeo and Juliet's new love for each other.
(d) Mercutio's new interest in Rosaline.
15. In Act 1, Scene 4, Romeo describes love as ________.
(a) Too gentle.
(b) Too rough.
(c) Too heavy.
(d) Too tender.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Romeo's opening speech in Act 2, Scene 2, he refers to Juliet as __________.
2. What advice does the friar give Romeo about love at the start of Act 2, Scene 6?
3. What does Romeo decide to do at the start of Act 2, Scene 1?
4. In Act 2, Scene 3 Romeo confesses that he has come to see the friar because ___________.
5. The prologue is supposed to ______________.
This section contains 583 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)