|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cicero's house indicate that he is of a higher class?
2. When Gordianus starts to question Polia, Eco________________.
3. How does Cicero's house indicate his lifestyle?
4. Gordianus finds a pool of blood and a bloody hand print near_________________.
5. In Chapter 2, what happens as Tiro and Gordianus walk through the streets?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Gordianus mention the fog at the end of Chapter 15?
2. Who do you think is smarter: Gordianus or Cicero? Why?
3. Why does Polia think she is protecting Eco by lying about him witnessing the attack?
4. What is the purpose of the author's inclusion of the scene where Gordianus and Tiro see a gladiator stabbed while they are walking to Cicero's house?
5. Do you think Elena really was pregnant? Or was she setting Roscius up to be attacked?
6. Cicero and Sextus Roscius (pater) lived very different lifestyles. Compare and contrast their lifestyles.
7. If traveling to Ameria alone is so dangerous, why doesn't Gordianus take a companion or a guard?
8. When Gordianus and Tiro see the tenement fire, what is the significance of that?
9. Electra tells Gordianus and Tiro that some men bought Elena. What else does she reveal?
10. Explain why Caecilia would house Sextus Roscius (filius) in an unsavory part of her house, near the stinking indoor toilets.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the various roles of women in Roman Blood, focusing on the characters of Bethesda, Caecelia, and Roscia in particular.
Essay Topic 2
Does Gordianus grow and become a better person through the course of the book? Back up your answer with evidence from the novel.
Essay Topic 3
Rufus and Tiro are both very young men, Rufus not even fully a man yet. What would you say these two young men represent?
This section contains 654 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)