|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Gordianus's first impression of Cicero?
2. Who is Marcus Tullius Cicero?
3. Who is Elana?
4. Who claims to have seen the murder?
5. Who is Eco?
Short Essay Questions
1. What elements of Cicero's home seem to contradict one another?
2. When Gordianus and Tiro see the tenement fire, what is the significance of that?
3. Why does Gordianus mention the fog at the end of Chapter 15?
4. Why does Gordianus loan Bethesda to the household of the stable master?
5. Why would the shopkeeper and his wife lie about witnessing the attack of Roscius?
6. Why does Cicero send Tiro instead of a lesser slave to the home of Gordianus?
7. Explain why Caecilia would house Sextus Roscius (filius) in an unsavory part of her house, near the stinking indoor toilets.
8. What is the purpose of the author's inclusion of the scene where Gordianus and Tiro see a gladiator stabbed while they are walking to Cicero's house?
9. How would you describe Caecilia Metella?
10. Why does Polia think she is protecting Eco by lying about him witnessing the attack?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Roman Blood has several "family feuds." Analyze the feuds and their place in the plot.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of corruption in Roman Blood. What is the overall conclusion to draw about corruption as a them in this novel?
Essay Topic 3
At the end of the novel, Cicero tells Gordianus, "Crime is common. Honor is rare." Discuss that comment.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)