|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What curious comment does Carus make about Roscius (pater)?
(a) That he was a "terrible father."
(b) That he had "many problems."
(c) That he "could not be trusted."
(d) That he had "too many sons."
2. Rufus admits to Gordianus that _________________.
(a) He wants to be an advocate like Cicero.
(b) He is in love with Roscia.
(c) He wants to leave the country.
(d) He is infatuated with Cicero.
3. According to Titus Megarus, ____________________________.
(a) The Roscii family has had a feud for generations.
(b) Magnus and Capito are not really Roscius's cousins.
(c) Roscius stole the land from Magnus's father.
(d) The land is worthless.
4. In Chapter 25, the two slaves tell how Elena died. What was the manner of her death?
(a) She died trying to prevent the Roscii from killing her baby.
(b) She was weak and ill after the birth of her baby, and died in a cart on the way to Rome.
(c) The Roscii cousins killed her immediately.
(d) She died giving birth to her baby.
5. Gordianus asks a boy for directions to the home of Sextus Roscius, and he finds out ______________.
(a) The boy now lives on the farm with his family.
(b) The boy lives on the neighboring farm.
(c) The boy is suspcious of him.
(d) The farm has been abandoned.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of a place is the Bleating Lamb, where Gordianus stops on his way to Ameria?
2. What happens between the guard and Gordianus?
3. After the petition by Titus and fellow landowners, what became of Roscius (filius)?
4. Rufus learns that ___________________ was the one who bought the Roscius estate at auction.
5. Gordianus is told by the tavern owner that Glaucia had __________ with him on a visit to the tavern.
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Gordianus find out about Roscia that impacts him greatly?
2. Chapters 16-26 are in a section called Portents. What does that signify?
3. At the Bleating Lamb, what are some of the pieces of information that Gordianus learns from the tavern owner?
4. Gordianus goes to the Roscius's villa. Does he have a plan?
5. What did Titus and the other local landowners do to try to restore the land to Roscius (filius)?
6. Titus tells Gordianus that the locals were told that Roscius was on the proscription list and therefore his property would be sold at auction. Why does Gordianus find this odd?
7. Why does Gordianus want to be invited to dinner at the home of Titus Megarus?
8. On the second visit to Carus, what does Gordianus find out?
9. What makes Carus a credible informant?
10. When Gordianus returns to Rome, he once again talks with Roscius (filius). What does he find out?
This section contains 875 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)