|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What was the result of Titus's and the other landowners' petition?
(a) Roscius's name was cleared.
(b) Nothing. Sulla never heard it.
(c) Sulla took their land.
(d) Titus was put in prison.
2. Why does Roscius not want to go to trial?
(a) He is afraid for what will become of his wife and daughters.
(b) He is worried he will be killed no matter what.
(c) He wishes he could repair the Roscii name.
(d) He is adamant that he is being framed.
3. Who is Valeria?
(a) Sulla's current wife and Rufus's sister.
(b) Rufus's sister and Cicero's wife.
(c) Chrysogonus's wife.
(d) Rufus's betrothed.
4. Titus Megarus and other landowners tried to petition Sulla to do what?
(a) Drop the charges against Roscius (filius).
(b) Revoke the edict against Roscius (pater) and return the land to his son.
(c) Divide the farm up among all the Roscii family.
(d) Sell the land to one of them.
5. What did Gordianus figure out from the two attacks on his house?
(a) That Roscius is not who everyone thinks he is.
(b) That he can no longer stay in Rome.
(c) That someone in Cicero's circle is leaking information.
(d) That Cicero is trying to kill him.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Gordianus plan to get into Chrysogonus's house to question Felix and Chrestus?
2. Tiro listens to Roscia's story with great sympathy until ________________.
3. In Chapter 22, Tiro admits that_________________.
4. How does Cicero respond to Roscia's story when Gordianus tells it to him?
5. When Rufus and Gordianus are alone in Caecilia's garden, they discuss _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What is suspicious about what Carus tells Gordianus?
2. What did Titus and the other local landowners do to try to restore the land to Roscius (filius)?
3. Who bought Roscius's property at auction?
4. Why does Gordianus want to be invited to dinner at the home of Titus Megarus?
5. Chapters 16-26 are in a section called Portents. What does that signify?
6. Do you think the old blind man at the tavern is wise? Or crazy?
7. How do Gordianus and Cicero figure out who is leaking information about their investigation?
8. At the Bleating Lamb, what are some of the pieces of information that Gordianus learns from the tavern owner?
9. On the second visit to Carus, what does Gordianus find out?
10. Gordianus goes to the Roscius's villa. Does he have a plan?
This section contains 884 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)