|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the relationship between Tiro and Cicero different than most of their respective classes?
(a) Cicero speaks to his slaves, whereas it is customary to avoid talking to them when others are around.
(b) Cicero and Tiro are secretly lovers.
(c) Even though Tiro is a slave, Cicero has seen to his education and often treats him as an equal.
(d) Even though Cicero is a noble man, he still associates with lower classes like Tiro.
2. How did Gaius die?
(a) Food poisoning.
(c) Accidental fall.
3. At Cicero's home, whom does Gordianus meet?
(a) Tiro's grandfather.
(b) Tiro's wife.
(c) The murder suspect.
(d) Cicero's wife.
4. Who are Felix and Chrestus?
(a) Professional killers who were hired to kill Rocius (pater).
(b) Cicero's brothers.
(c) Roscius's (pater) most trusted slaves.
(d) Guards assigned to Roscius (filius).
5. Why does Tiro go to the home of Gordianus?
(a) Cicero wants to hire Gordianus to investigate the murder.
(b) Gordianus owes him money.
(c) Tiro wants to marry a slave in Gordianus's household.
(d) Tiro wants to convince Gordianus to free him.
Short Answer Questions
1. Sextus Roscious (pater) aligned himself with which family before he died?
2. Sextus Roscius (pater) was fond of _____________.
3. What does Gordianus learn from his first meeting with Sextus Roscius (filius)?
4. What is the House of Swans?
5. Gordianus discovers, upon returning to his house after a day of investigating, that_______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. If traveling to Ameria alone is so dangerous, why doesn't Gordianus take a companion or a guard?
2. Do you think Gauis's death was accidental or a murder? Why?
3. When Gordianus and Tiro see the tenement fire, what is the significance of that?
4. What is the significance of the fact that the men who break into Gordianus's house had come earlier in the day?
5. Do you think Elena really was pregnant? Or was she setting Roscius up to be attacked?
6. Describe your first impression of Gordianus.
7. How would you describe Caecilia Metella?
8. Why does Polia think she is protecting Eco by lying about him witnessing the attack?
9. Why does Gordianus loan Bethesda to the household of the stable master?
10. Who do you think is smarter: Gordianus or Cicero? Why?
This section contains 670 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)