|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Cicero asks Gordianus the question in his library, what does Gordianus think of him then?
(a) That Cicero knows something he doesn't.
(b) That Cicero likes to have intellectual discussions.
(c) That Cicero is a scoundrel.
(d) That Cicero suspects him of the murder.
2. Why could Roscius (pater) associate with those higher in status than himself?
(a) He had sons.
(b) He lied about his class.
(c) His wife was from a noble family.
(d) He was wealthy.
3. What do Caecilia Metella and Rufus Messalla have in common?
(a) They both know Cicero.
(b) Their sisters were both married to Sulla.
(c) They are brother and sister.
(d) They both hate Gordianus.
4. In Chapter 2, what ends up lying at Gordianus's feet?
(a) The body of a dead dog.
(b) A spear.
(c) The body of a dead woman.
(d) The bleeding gladiator.
5. How important was social class in ancient Rome?
(a) Not that important; not that different from modern America.
(b) Irrelevant; all citizens were considered equals.
(c) Important in determining what kind of job one had.
(d) Very important; it impacted every aspect of life.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Gordianus learn from his first meeting with Sextus Roscius (filius)?
2. Eco communicates that the man who stabbed Roscius has what distinguishing characteristic?
3. Who is Polia?
4. Sextus Roscius (pater) was fond of _____________.
5. What relationship complicates that of Cicero and Tiro?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 5, Cicero says to Tiro, "A fit subject for debate: Is it possible that a slave can be too loyal to his master? That is to say, too enthusiastic in his devotion, too ready to spring to his master's defense." What is your answer to that question?
2. What is the purpose of the author's inclusion of the scene where Gordianus and Tiro see a gladiator stabbed while they are walking to Cicero's house?
3. Why would the shopkeeper and his wife lie about witnessing the attack of Roscius?
4. Cicero and Sextus Roscius (pater) lived very different lifestyles. Compare and contrast their lifestyles.
5. Do you think Gauis's death was accidental or a murder? Why?
6. If traveling to Ameria alone is so dangerous, why doesn't Gordianus take a companion or a guard?
7. Describe your first impression of Gordianus.
8. Why does Cicero send Tiro instead of a lesser slave to the home of Gordianus?
9. Electra tells Gordianus and Tiro that some men bought Elena. What else does she reveal?
10. What elements of Cicero's home seem to contradict one another?
This section contains 767 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)