|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What disability does Eco have?
(a) He has a low IQ.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He cannot walk.
(d) He is mute.
2. Where does Gordianus encounter Marcus Licinius Crassus?
(a) At the site of a tenement fire, trying to cheat someone out of money.
(b) On the street outside the House of Swans.
(c) At the tavern when he got into a fight.
(d) At his home when he returns there at the end of the day.
3. Who is Marcus Licinius Crassus?
(a) A born leader who is widely respected.
(b) A greedy nobleman who tricks people out of their money.
(c) Someone Gordianus suspects of the murder.
(d) A tenement owner who is in trouble.
4. Why does Tiro go to the home of Gordianus?
(a) Gordianus owes him money.
(b) Tiro wants to convince Gordianus to free him.
(c) Tiro wants to marry a slave in Gordianus's household.
(d) Cicero wants to hire Gordianus to investigate the murder.
5. In Chapter 2, what happens as Tiro and Gordianus walk through the streets?
(a) Slaves are congregating to stage an uprising.
(b) A scuffle breaks out and a gladiator is stabbed.
(c) A mob robs a shop.
(d) A woman strips in the street.
Short Answer Questions
1. In what way did Roscius (pater) breech strict societal codes?
2. Who claims to have seen the murder?
3. Where do Gordianus, Cicero and Tiro finally meet Sextus Roscius (filius)?
4. Why is Gordianus called the Finder?
5. Why could Roscius (pater) associate with those higher in status than himself?
Short Essay Questions
1. Do you think Gauis's death was accidental or a murder? Why?
2. Why does Gordianus loan Bethesda to the household of the stable master?
3. Cicero and Sextus Roscius (pater) lived very different lifestyles. Compare and contrast their lifestyles.
4. Explain why Caecilia would house Sextus Roscius (filius) in an unsavory part of her house, near the stinking indoor toilets.
5. What is the significance of the fact that the men who break into Gordianus's house had come earlier in the day?
6. Why would the shopkeeper and his wife lie about witnessing the attack of Roscius?
7. When Gordianus and Tiro see the tenement fire, what is the significance of that?
8. Why does Bethesda bite Gordianus when he comes into her room?
9. Describe your first impression of Gordianus.
10. Do you think Elena really was pregnant? Or was she setting Roscius up to be attacked?
This section contains 708 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)