|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship complicates that of Cicero and Tiro?
(a) Tiro is somebody else's slave, but has run away to stay with Cicero.
(b) Tiro's grandfather is a freed slave of Cicero's.
(c) Tiro was born into the same class as Cicero, but his family was disgraced and that is why he is a slave.
(d) Tiro is Cicero's illegitimate son.
2. Sextus Roscious (pater) aligned himself with which family before he died?
(a) The powerful Metelli family.
(b) The wealthy Messalla family.
(c) The noble Rufus family.
(d) The highly intellectual Cicero family.
3. During their investigation at the House of Swans, Gordianus is told that Elena______________________.
(a) Is dead.
(b) Is pregnant.
(c) Ran away.
(d) Murdered Roscius.
4. How does Cicero's house indicate that he is of a higher class?
(a) He lives in a fancy neighborhood.
(b) Gordianus must wash his feet before entering.
(c) He has a family crest.
(d) He has a gate around his home.
5. Why did Polia tell neighbors she saw the murder and then deny it?
(a) She killed Roscius.
(b) She was trying to protect Eco.
(c) She was ashamed.
(d) She was paid off by the murderers.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Tiro go to the home of Gordianus?
2. In Chapter 12, Gordianus and Tiro go to the House of Swans. Who do they question there?
3. Who is Cicero's client?
4. At the end of Chapter 15, Gordianus leaves for_________________.
5. How does Tiro react to these events in Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bethesda bite Gordianus when he comes into her room?
2. When Gordianus and Tiro see the tenement fire, what is the significance of that?
3. Cicero and Sextus Roscius (pater) lived very different lifestyles. Compare and contrast their lifestyles.
4. Why would the shopkeeper and his wife lie about witnessing the attack of Roscius?
5. Why does Gordianus loan Bethesda to the household of the stable master?
6. What is the purpose of the author's inclusion of the scene where Gordianus and Tiro see a gladiator stabbed while they are walking to Cicero's house?
7. What is the significance of the fact that the men who break into Gordianus's house had come earlier in the day?
8. Why does Gordianus mention the fog at the end of Chapter 15?
9. How would you describe Caecilia Metella?
10. Do you think Gauis's death was accidental or a murder? Why?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)