|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. After spending the night at Titus's, Gordianus does what before returning to Rome?
(a) Speaks to Carus once more.
(b) Returns to the Bleating Lamb for more information.
(c) Buys another horse.
(d) Tries to overhear Capito and Magnus talking.
2. Who is Mallius Glaucia?
(a) A friend of Gordianus.
(b) A slave of Cicero.
(c) A cousin of Roscius.
(d) A former slave of Magnus.
3. Why does Roscius not want to go to trial?
(a) He is worried he will be killed no matter what.
(b) He wishes he could repair the Roscii name.
(c) He is afraid for what will become of his wife and daughters.
(d) He is adamant that he is being framed.
4. Gordianus passes two men on the road, and he believes they are the men who broke into his house in Rome. How does he know this?
(a) One man has cat scratches on his face.
(b) They are riding one of the horses from the same stable-master.
(c) One has a bite mark on his arm.
(d) He recognizes their shoes from the footprints they left.
5. What is the most important piece of information that Felix and Chrestus tell Gordianus?
(a) Who really killed Rosicus (pater).
(b) Where Roscius was the night his father was killed.
(c) Why Chrysogonus wanted the land.
(d) What happened to Elena and her baby.
6. What happens between the guard and Gordianus?
(a) They fight, and Gordianus and Bethesda scream for help.
(b) They fight, and Gordianus kills him.
(c) They fight, and the guard runs off.
(d) They fight and Bethesda kills him.
7. In Chapter 23, what does Gordianus learn about Roscia?
(a) That she is pregnant.
(b) That she knows her father killed her grandfather.
(c) That her father has been sexually molesting her.
(d) That she is in love with him.
8. What happens to Gordianus and Tiro as they are leaving Chrysogonus's house?
(a) The have sex wtih the kitchen maid.
(b) They get lost and accidentally stumble into the party.
(c) They fall down a flight of stairs.
(d) They get lost and are discovered by Magnus and Glaucia.
9. What did the second message in blood say?
(a) "Seek revenge and not justice."
(b) "If you do not cease this folly, continued plagues shall come down on you."
(c) "The fool disobeyed. Now he is dead. Let a wiser man take a holiday come the holy Ides of May."
(d) "Beware the Ides of May."
10. Where is Tiro supposed to meet Rosica on the next day?
(a) At Cicero's house.
(b) At the Forum.
(c) By the river.
(d) Near Caecilia's house.
11. When Gordianus tells Roscius what he learned, how does Roscius respond?
(a) Roscius is stunned.
(b) Roscius confirms all that Gordianus knows.
(c) Roscius is angry that Gordianus went to Ameria.
(d) Roscius wonders if they think he is guilty.
12. Rufus does not want to attend a party where Sulla will be present because __________________.
(a) He is afraid Sulla will kill him because he works with Cicero.
(b) Sulla is interested in Rufus sexually.
(c) He hates Sulla for marrying his sister.
(d) He thinks Sulla has ruined Rome.
13. Gordianus talks to Carus at the door of the farm villa. Who is Carus?
(a) A hired manager of the farm.
(b) A slave, once of Roscius, now of Capito.
(c) The son of Capito.
(d) A friend of Roscius.
14. How does Cicero respond to Roscia's story when Gordianus tells it to him?
(a) He couldn't care less.
(b) He says it's all her own fault.
(c) He plans to help Roscia when the trial is over.
(d) He is appalled and wonders if he should drop the case.
15. To whom was Roscia giving information about Cicero's case?
(b) A man working for the prosecution of her father.
(c) A hired assassin.
(d) A slave in Sulla's house.
Short Answer Questions
1. After the incident with the guards, Gordianus and Bethesda flee to_____________.
2. How does Roscius react to the information about Elena and her baby?
3. Rufus finally agrees to go to the party. Why?
4. How does Gordianus react when Titus mentions the name Chrysogonus?
5. When Rufus and Gordianus are alone in Caecilia's garden, they discuss _________________.
This section contains 795 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)