|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Titus Megarus and other landowners tried to petition Sulla to do what?
(a) Sell the land to one of them.
(b) Drop the charges against Roscius (filius).
(c) Divide the farm up among all the Roscii family.
(d) Revoke the edict against Roscius (pater) and return the land to his son.
2. Who is Mallius Glaucia?
(a) A cousin of Roscius.
(b) A slave of Cicero.
(c) A friend of Gordianus.
(d) A former slave of Magnus.
3. What was the result of Titus's and the other landowners' petition?
(a) Nothing. Sulla never heard it.
(b) Roscius's name was cleared.
(c) Sulla took their land.
(d) Titus was put in prison.
4. Who does the guard sent by Cicero turn out to be?
(a) A spy.
(b) Cicero's guard, as he said.
(c) Someone sent to kill Gordianus.
(d) A man sent by Roscius to protect Gordianus.
5. Rufus finally agrees to go to the party. Why?
(a) Cicero begs him to.
(b) He secretly has a crush on Sulla.
(c) He is intent on getting drunk and forgetting his troubles.
(d) Gordianus wants to sneak into the house.
6. Who is Valeria?
(a) Rufus's betrothed.
(b) Chrysogonus's wife.
(c) Rufus's sister and Cicero's wife.
(d) Sulla's current wife and Rufus's sister.
7. What happens to Gordianus and Tiro as they are leaving Chrysogonus's house?
(a) The have sex wtih the kitchen maid.
(b) They fall down a flight of stairs.
(c) They get lost and are discovered by Magnus and Glaucia.
(d) They get lost and accidentally stumble into the party.
8. What does Carus show Gordianus on the farm?
(a) Where Capito and Magnus plot.
(b) A new grave.
(c) Secret documents he cannot read.
(d) Where Elena is hidden.
9. After the incident with the guards, Gordianus and Bethesda flee to_____________.
(a) Cicero's house.
(b) The country.
(c) Caecilia's house.
(d) A neighbor's house.
10. What did the second message in blood say?
(a) "The fool disobeyed. Now he is dead. Let a wiser man take a holiday come the holy Ides of May."
(b) "If you do not cease this folly, continued plagues shall come down on you."
(c) "Seek revenge and not justice."
(d) "Beware the Ides of May."
11. Who ended up buying Roscius's farm, according to the tavern keeper?
12. What kind of a place is the Bleating Lamb, where Gordianus stops on his way to Ameria?
(a) A farm.
(b) An inn.
(c) A tavern.
(d) A town.
13. According to Titus Megarus, ____________________________.
(a) The land is worthless.
(b) Roscius stole the land from Magnus's father.
(c) Magnus and Capito are not really Roscius's cousins.
(d) The Roscii family has had a feud for generations.
14. Tiro listens to Roscia's story with great sympathy until ________________.
(a) She says she will kill her father herself if she has to.
(b) She says she would rather live in a brothel and have sex wtih strangers.
(c) She hits Tiro with her hand.
(d) She says she cares nothing for him.
15. Who is Chrysogonus?
(a) A former slave of Sulla's, who is now free, wealthy, and powerful.
(b) A hired assassin.
(c) The new owner of the estate.
(d) Sulla's son, called the Golden Born.
Short Answer Questions
1. Rufus does not want to attend a party where Sulla will be present because __________________.
2. What is the most important piece of information that Felix and Chrestus tell Gordianus?
3. Gordianus asks a boy for directions to the home of Sextus Roscius, and he finds out ______________.
4. After spending the night at Titus's, Gordianus does what before returning to Rome?
5. Why is Gordianus confused when a guard shows up claiming Cicero sent him?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)