|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What happens to Gordianus and Tiro as they are leaving Chrysogonus's house?
(a) The have sex wtih the kitchen maid.
(b) They get lost and are discovered by Magnus and Glaucia.
(c) They get lost and accidentally stumble into the party.
(d) They fall down a flight of stairs.
2. What does Carus reveal to Gordianus?
(a) That the slaves Felix and Chrestus were sold to Chrysogonus.
(b) That he is now a freedman and works on the farm.
(c) That Capito is a good master.
(d) That Felix and Chrestus now own the farm.
3. What did Gordianus see the guard doing with blood?
(a) Making a sacrifice to a god.
(b) Mopping it all around the floor.
(c) Drinking it.
(d) Writing a message on his wall.
4. How do Gordianus and Tiro finally exit Chrysogonus's house?
(a) By leaping off a balcony.
(b) On stretchers.
(c) Hidden under blankets in a cart.
(d) Through a servant's entrance.
5. When Rufus and Gordianus are alone in Caecilia's garden, they discuss _________________.
(a) Why Magnus and Capito want the land.
(b) That Rufus is convinced Roscius is guilty.
(c) What Rufus thinks of Chyrsogonus.
(d) A party in Sulla's honor given by Chrysogonus the following evening.
6. Who is the old blind man at the Bleating Lamb?
(a) The tavern keeper's father.
(b) A spy.
(c) A fake--he's not really blind.
(d) Magnus's father.
7. Where is Tiro supposed to meet Rosica on the next day?
(a) Near Caecilia's house.
(b) At Cicero's house.
(c) At the Forum.
(d) By the river.
8. In Chapter 23, what does Gordianus learn about Roscia?
(a) That she is in love with him.
(b) That her father has been sexually molesting her.
(c) That she knows her father killed her grandfather.
(d) That she is pregnant.
9. What did the second message in blood say?
(a) "Seek revenge and not justice."
(b) "If you do not cease this folly, continued plagues shall come down on you."
(c) "The fool disobeyed. Now he is dead. Let a wiser man take a holiday come the holy Ides of May."
(d) "Beware the Ides of May."
10. After the incident with the guards, Gordianus and Bethesda flee to_____________.
(a) Caecilia's house.
(b) The country.
(c) Cicero's house.
(d) A neighbor's house.
11. What happens between the guard and Gordianus?
(a) They fight, and Gordianus and Bethesda scream for help.
(b) They fight, and Gordianus kills him.
(c) They fight, and the guard runs off.
(d) They fight and Bethesda kills him.
12. What did Gordianus figure out from the two attacks on his house?
(a) That Cicero is trying to kill him.
(b) That Roscius is not who everyone thinks he is.
(c) That he can no longer stay in Rome.
(d) That someone in Cicero's circle is leaking information.
13. Another piece of information Rufus learns about the auction of the property is___________.
(a) It was illegal because Roscius didn't own it anyway.
(b) Sulla was the one who ordered it.
(c) Roscius (pater) had already disinherited his son before he died.
(d) It sold for substantially less than its value.
14. Rufus learns that ___________________ was the one who bought the Roscius estate at auction.
15. What upsets Rufus during a song poking fun at Sulla?
(a) The song makes an off-color joke about his sister.
(b) The song suggests all nobles are bastards.
(c) The song is sung horribly, and Rufus likes only beautiful music.
(d) The song makes fun of Sulla's interest in Rufus.
Short Answer Questions
1. Gordianus suspects that the guard has _______________.
2. Who does the guard sent by Cicero turn out to be?
3. Rufus does not want to attend a party where Sulla will be present because __________________.
4. How does Cicero react to the information Gordianus learned in Ameria?
5. What was the result of Titus's and the other landowners' petition?
This section contains 679 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)