|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What curious comment does Carus make about Roscius (pater)?
(a) That he had "too many sons."
(b) That he was a "terrible father."
(c) That he had "many problems."
(d) That he "could not be trusted."
2. Gordianus suspects that the guard has _______________.
(a) Already killed Bethesda.
(b) Not seen him yet.
(c) Been hired by Sulla.
(d) Seen him in the shadows.
3. When Gordianus finally arrives at Roscius's farm, whom does he see in the field?
(b) Luius's family.
4. Who are Magnus and Capito?
(a) Slaves of Roscius.
(b) Cousins of Roscius.
(c) Neighbors of Roscius.
(d) Relatives of the tavern owner.
5. Who is Valeria?
(a) Sulla's current wife and Rufus's sister.
(b) Rufus's sister and Cicero's wife.
(c) Chrysogonus's wife.
(d) Rufus's betrothed.
6. What did the second message in blood say?
(a) "The fool disobeyed. Now he is dead. Let a wiser man take a holiday come the holy Ides of May."
(b) "Seek revenge and not justice."
(c) "If you do not cease this folly, continued plagues shall come down on you."
(d) "Beware the Ides of May."
7. Who does the guard sent by Cicero turn out to be?
(a) Cicero's guard, as he said.
(b) A man sent by Roscius to protect Gordianus.
(c) Someone sent to kill Gordianus.
(d) A spy.
8. How does Cicero react to the information Gordianus learned in Ameria?
(a) He is angry.
(b) He thinks it's worthless.
(c) He is very pleased.
(d) He is worried about involving Sulla.
9. What kind of a place is the Bleating Lamb, where Gordianus stops on his way to Ameria?
(a) A tavern.
(b) A town.
(c) A farm.
(d) An inn.
10. Gordianus passes two men on the road, and he believes they are the men who broke into his house in Rome. How does he know this?
(a) One man has cat scratches on his face.
(b) He recognizes their shoes from the footprints they left.
(c) One has a bite mark on his arm.
(d) They are riding one of the horses from the same stable-master.
11. What does Carus reveal to Gordianus?
(a) That Capito is a good master.
(b) That Felix and Chrestus now own the farm.
(c) That he is now a freedman and works on the farm.
(d) That the slaves Felix and Chrestus were sold to Chrysogonus.
12. In Chapter 25, the two slaves tell how Elena died. What was the manner of her death?
(a) She died giving birth to her baby.
(b) She died trying to prevent the Roscii from killing her baby.
(c) She was weak and ill after the birth of her baby, and died in a cart on the way to Rome.
(d) The Roscii cousins killed her immediately.
13. In Chapter 23, what does Gordianus learn about Roscia?
(a) That she is in love with him.
(b) That she is pregnant.
(c) That her father has been sexually molesting her.
(d) That she knows her father killed her grandfather.
14. What did Gordianus figure out from the two attacks on his house?
(a) That Roscius is not who everyone thinks he is.
(b) That Cicero is trying to kill him.
(c) That someone in Cicero's circle is leaking information.
(d) That he can no longer stay in Rome.
15. Another piece of information Rufus learns about the auction of the property is___________.
(a) Sulla was the one who ordered it.
(b) It was illegal because Roscius didn't own it anyway.
(c) Roscius (pater) had already disinherited his son before he died.
(d) It sold for substantially less than its value.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Cicero respond to Roscia's story when Gordianus tells it to him?
2. Rufus does not want to attend a party where Sulla will be present because __________________.
3. How does Gordianus plan to get into Chrysogonus's house to question Felix and Chrestus?
4. How does Roscius react to the information about Elena and her baby?
5. After the incident with the guards, Gordianus and Bethesda flee to_____________.
This section contains 755 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)