|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Marucs Tullius Tiro is___________.
(a) A young man.
(b) The murder suspect.
(c) A freed slave.
(d) Cicero's father.
2. How does Gordianus react to the events in Chapter 2?
(a) He pulls his sword on the gladiators.
(b) He tells Tiro to run home and get his master.
(c) He does not want to get involved.
(d) He hides behind a wall.
3. Where does Gordianus encounter Marcus Licinius Crassus?
(a) On the street outside the House of Swans.
(b) At the site of a tenement fire, trying to cheat someone out of money.
(c) At the tavern when he got into a fight.
(d) At his home when he returns there at the end of the day.
4. How does Tiro react to these events in Chapter 2?
(a) He is shocked and disgusted.
(b) He is ready to fight.
(c) He yells for help.
(d) He runs away, afraid.
5. Who is Sextus Roscius's (pater) oldest and dearest friend?
(a) Caecilia Metella.
(b) Circus Flaminius.
(c) Tiro Sulla.
(d) Polia Ruffus.
6. How does Cicero's house indicate his lifestyle?
(a) There are no trappings of wealth.
(b) There are ornate rugs in the entryway.
(c) Many important men gather outside his house.
(d) There is no furniture.
7. Who is Marcus Tullius Cicero?
(a) The governor of Rome.
(b) A noble member of Roman society.
(c) A freed slave.
(d) An advocate in a murder case.
8. Gordianus discovers, upon returning to his house after a day of investigating, that_______________________.
(a) His home has been broken into.
(b) Cicero has fired him.
(c) His home is burned down.
(d) His slave has been killed.
9. What is Gordianus's first impression of Cicero?
(a) That he is older than Gordianus thought.
(b) That he must be in debt.
(c) That he is not as smart as everyone says.
(d) That he is slightly crazy.
10. What disability does Eco have?
(a) He has a low IQ.
(b) He cannot walk.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He is deaf.
11. How does Cicero's house indicate that he is of a higher class?
(a) He has a gate around his home.
(b) Gordianus must wash his feet before entering.
(c) He has a family crest.
(d) He lives in a fancy neighborhood.
12. What clues are provided in Chapter 3 to indicate Cicero's class?
(a) Cicero has many wives.
(b) He owns many slaves and his family background is explained.
(c) Gordianus is expected to bow to Cicero, but Cicero does not bow in return.
(d) He wears only the best cloth and has fine paintings on the walls.
13. Gordianus finds a pool of blood and a bloody hand print near_________________.
(a) A library.
(b) A brothel.
(c) A bath house.
(d) A sundry shop.
14. How did Gaius die?
(a) Food poisoning.
(d) Accidental fall.
15. At the end of Chapter 15, Gordianus leaves for_________________.
(b) The mountains.
(d) The sea.
Short Answer Questions
1. What relationship complicates that of Cicero and Tiro?
2. Who is Marcus Licinius Crassus?
3. Where do Gordianus, Cicero and Tiro finally meet Sextus Roscius (filius)?
4. How is the relationship between Tiro and Cicero different than most of their respective classes?
5. When Gordianus leaves Caecilia Metella's house in Chapter 7, what does he observe Tiro doing?
This section contains 647 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)