|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When Gordianus begins his investigation in Chapter 9, where does he go?
(a) Esquiline Hill.
(b) Roscius's favorite ale house.
(d) The street where the House of Swans is located.
2. When Gordianus starts to question Polia, Eco________________.
(a) Pulls a knife on him.
(b) Runs away.
(c) Throws up.
(d) Tackles him.
3. Who is Elana?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) Cicero's wife.
(c) A servant.
(d) A powerful, rich woman.
4. What does Gordianus learn from his first meeting with Sextus Roscius (filius)?
(a) That Roscius (pater) was going to die anyway.
(b) The exact location of the murder.
(c) The name of the person Roscius thinks did it.
(d) That he has a secret lover.
5. How does Gordianus react to the events in Chapter 2?
(a) He does not want to get involved.
(b) He hides behind a wall.
(c) He pulls his sword on the gladiators.
(d) He tells Tiro to run home and get his master.
6. Why did Polia tell neighbors she saw the murder and then deny it?
(a) She was ashamed.
(b) She was trying to protect Eco.
(c) She was paid off by the murderers.
(d) She killed Roscius.
7. After Gordianus and Tiro leave Polia's apartment, what does Eco do?
(a) He writes a letter explaining what he knows.
(b) He runs into them on the street and mimes what he saw.
(c) He throws rocks at them.
(d) He runs after them and tries to kill them.
8. Eco communicates that the man who stabbed Roscius has what distinguishing characteristic?
(a) He is a hunchback.
(b) He wears an eye patch.
(c) He is a dwarf.
(d) He walks with a limp.
9. What relationship complicates that of Cicero and Tiro?
(a) Tiro was born into the same class as Cicero, but his family was disgraced and that is why he is a slave.
(b) Tiro is Cicero's illegitimate son.
(c) Tiro's grandfather is a freed slave of Cicero's.
(d) Tiro is somebody else's slave, but has run away to stay with Cicero.
10. At Cicero's home, whom does Gordianus meet?
(a) Cicero's wife.
(b) Tiro's wife.
(c) The murder suspect.
(d) Tiro's grandfather.
11. Who claims to have seen the murder?
12. How important was social class in ancient Rome?
(a) Very important; it impacted every aspect of life.
(b) Important in determining what kind of job one had.
(c) Not that important; not that different from modern America.
(d) Irrelevant; all citizens were considered equals.
13. What is the House of Swans?
(a) A bird preserve.
(b) A noble household.
(c) A restaurant.
(d) A brothel.
14. What does Gordianus learn at the home of Caecilia Metella?
(a) That Cicero will not be able to pay him.
(b) That Cicero has ulterior motives this investigation.
(c) That Sulla killed his first wife.
(d) That Sextus Roscius (pater) had a son from his second marriage named Gaius
15. What is significant about Gordianus lacking a surname?
(a) It indicates that he is a criminal.
(b) It indicates that he is not the firstborn son.
(c) It indicates that his family is not important in society.
(d) It indicates that he is a slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is the relationship between Tiro and Cicero different than most of their respective classes?
2. Marucs Tullius Tiro is___________.
3. What question does Cicero ask Gordianus upon first meeting him?
4. Gordianus finds a pool of blood and a bloody hand print near_________________.
5. Who are Felix and Chrestus?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)