|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who is Polia?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A slave woman who cannot speak.
(c) A poor widow with a young son.
(d) A shopkeeper's wife.
2. Who is the Roman dictator?
3. During their investigation at the House of Swans, Gordianus is told that Elena______________________.
(a) Murdered Roscius.
(b) Is pregnant.
(c) Is dead.
(d) Ran away.
4. What does Gordianus learn from his first meeting with Sextus Roscius (filius)?
(a) That he has a secret lover.
(b) That Roscius (pater) was going to die anyway.
(c) The name of the person Roscius thinks did it.
(d) The exact location of the murder.
5. How does Cicero's house indicate his lifestyle?
(a) Many important men gather outside his house.
(b) There are ornate rugs in the entryway.
(c) There are no trappings of wealth.
(d) There is no furniture.
6. How did Gaius die?
(a) Food poisoning.
(c) Accidental fall.
7. What is significant about Gordianus lacking a surname?
(a) It indicates that he is a slave.
(b) It indicates that he is a criminal.
(c) It indicates that his family is not important in society.
(d) It indicates that he is not the firstborn son.
8. Sextus Roscious (pater) aligned himself with which family before he died?
(a) The wealthy Messalla family.
(b) The powerful Metelli family.
(c) The highly intellectual Cicero family.
(d) The noble Rufus family.
9. When Gordianus questions Polia, she__________________.
(b) Pulls a knife on him.
(c) Kicks him.
(d) Denies seeing the murder.
10. What disability does Eco have?
(a) He has a low IQ.
(b) He is deaf.
(c) He is mute.
(d) He cannot walk.
11. How is the relationship between Tiro and Cicero different than most of their respective classes?
(a) Cicero and Tiro are secretly lovers.
(b) Even though Tiro is a slave, Cicero has seen to his education and often treats him as an equal.
(c) Even though Cicero is a noble man, he still associates with lower classes like Tiro.
(d) Cicero speaks to his slaves, whereas it is customary to avoid talking to them when others are around.
12. Why is Gordianus called the Finder?
(a) He is a detective of sorts.
(b) He charges a finder's fee for prosititutes.
(c) He functions like a bounty hunter and finds fugitives.
(d) He is a treasure hunter.
13. Who is Marcus Tullius Cicero?
(a) The governor of Rome.
(b) A freed slave.
(c) An advocate in a murder case.
(d) A noble member of Roman society.
14. Why did Polia tell neighbors she saw the murder and then deny it?
(a) She killed Roscius.
(b) She was paid off by the murderers.
(c) She was trying to protect Eco.
(d) She was ashamed.
15. What clues are provided in Chapter 3 to indicate Cicero's class?
(a) Cicero has many wives.
(b) He owns many slaves and his family background is explained.
(c) He wears only the best cloth and has fine paintings on the walls.
(d) Gordianus is expected to bow to Cicero, but Cicero does not bow in return.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Gordianus encounter Marcus Licinius Crassus?
2. When Gordianus leaves Caecilia Metella's house in Chapter 7, what does he observe Tiro doing?
3. Caecilia Metella tells Gordianus that on the night he was murdered, Roscius (pater) received______________.
4. How does Gordianus react to the events in Chapter 2?
5. At Cicero's home, whom does Gordianus meet?
This section contains 614 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)