|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. During their investigation at the House of Swans, Gordianus is told that Elena______________________.
(a) Is pregnant.
(b) Ran away.
(c) Murdered Roscius.
(d) Is dead.
2. Sextus Roscius (pater) does what for a living?
3. After Gordianus and Tiro leave Polia's apartment, what does Eco do?
(a) He runs after them and tries to kill them.
(b) He runs into them on the street and mimes what he saw.
(c) He throws rocks at them.
(d) He writes a letter explaining what he knows.
4. When Gordianus questions Polia, she__________________.
(b) Pulls a knife on him.
(c) Denies seeing the murder.
(d) Kicks him.
5. How is the relationship between Tiro and Cicero different than most of their respective classes?
(a) Even though Cicero is a noble man, he still associates with lower classes like Tiro.
(b) Cicero and Tiro are secretly lovers.
(c) Cicero speaks to his slaves, whereas it is customary to avoid talking to them when others are around.
(d) Even though Tiro is a slave, Cicero has seen to his education and often treats him as an equal.
6. Why did Polia tell neighbors she saw the murder and then deny it?
(a) She was ashamed.
(b) She was trying to protect Eco.
(c) She killed Roscius.
(d) She was paid off by the murderers.
7. Where does Gordianus encounter Marcus Licinius Crassus?
(a) At his home when he returns there at the end of the day.
(b) At the tavern when he got into a fight.
(c) On the street outside the House of Swans.
(d) At the site of a tenement fire, trying to cheat someone out of money.
8. Who claims to have seen the murder?
9. Why does Tiro go to the home of Gordianus?
(a) Tiro wants to convince Gordianus to free him.
(b) Tiro wants to marry a slave in Gordianus's household.
(c) Cicero wants to hire Gordianus to investigate the murder.
(d) Gordianus owes him money.
10. What is significant about Gordianus lacking a surname?
(a) It indicates that he is a slave.
(b) It indicates that his family is not important in society.
(c) It indicates that he is not the firstborn son.
(d) It indicates that he is a criminal.
11. What question does Cicero ask Gordianus upon first meeting him?
(a) If Gordianus has ever considered killing his father.
(b) If Gordianus has enemies.
(c) If Gordianus was born in Rome.
(d) If Gordianus is married.
12. How does Cicero's house indicate that he is of a higher class?
(a) Gordianus must wash his feet before entering.
(b) He lives in a fancy neighborhood.
(c) He has a family crest.
(d) He has a gate around his home.
13. In Cicero's opinion, why is the other man prosecuting his client?
(a) The man married his daughter.
(b) For vengeance.
(c) For money and notoriety.
(d) The emperor requires it.
14. Sextus Roscius (pater) was fond of _____________.
(a) Food, drink, baths, and brothels.
(b) Baths, brothels, money, and wine.
(c) Food, drink, family, and animals.
(d) Food, sailing, prophisying, and brothels.
15. What is the House of Swans?
(a) A restaurant.
(b) A noble household.
(c) A brothel.
(d) A bird preserve.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Cicero's home, whom does Gordianus meet?
2. Who is Sextus Roscius's (pater) oldest and dearest friend?
3. Who is Polia?
4. In what way did Roscius (pater) breech strict societal codes?
5. At the end of Chapter 15, Gordianus leaves for_________________.
This section contains 582 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)