|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Caecilia Metella and Rufus Messalla have in common?
(a) They both know Cicero.
(b) They are brother and sister.
(c) They both hate Gordianus.
(d) Their sisters were both married to Sulla.
2. Who is Marcus Tullius Cicero?
(a) A freed slave.
(b) A noble member of Roman society.
(c) An advocate in a murder case.
(d) The governor of Rome.
3. How important was social class in ancient Rome?
(a) Important in determining what kind of job one had.
(b) Irrelevant; all citizens were considered equals.
(c) Very important; it impacted every aspect of life.
(d) Not that important; not that different from modern America.
4. Why could Roscius (pater) associate with those higher in status than himself?
(a) He lied about his class.
(b) His wife was from a noble family.
(c) He had sons.
(d) He was wealthy.
5. Who is the Roman dictator?
6. Who is Polia?
(a) A prostitute.
(b) A poor widow with a young son.
(c) A shopkeeper's wife.
(d) A slave woman who cannot speak.
7. After questioning Polia, Gordianus and Tiro stop at a tavern. Gordianus_______________.
(a) Has a disturbing dream.
(b) Gets drunk and tries to kiss Tiro.
(c) Passes out.
(d) Gets in a fight.
8. What clues are provided in Chapter 3 to indicate Cicero's class?
(a) Gordianus is expected to bow to Cicero, but Cicero does not bow in return.
(b) Cicero has many wives.
(c) He wears only the best cloth and has fine paintings on the walls.
(d) He owns many slaves and his family background is explained.
9. Why did Polia tell neighbors she saw the murder and then deny it?
(a) She killed Roscius.
(b) She was paid off by the murderers.
(c) She was ashamed.
(d) She was trying to protect Eco.
10. What is Gordianus's first impression of Cicero?
(a) That he is slightly crazy.
(b) That he is not as smart as everyone says.
(c) That he must be in debt.
(d) That he is older than Gordianus thought.
11. Caecilia Metella tells Gordianus that on the night he was murdered, Roscius (pater) received______________.
(a) A lot of money.
(b) An urgent message.
(c) A death threat.
(d) A huge award.
12. In what way did Roscius (pater) breech strict societal codes?
(a) He favored one son over another.
(b) He socialized with both noble and menial classes.
(c) He drank in excess.
(d) He fell in love with a prostitute.
13. Who is Sextus Roscius's (pater) oldest and dearest friend?
(a) Circus Flaminius.
(b) Polia Ruffus.
(c) Caecilia Metella.
(d) Tiro Sulla.
14. At the end of Chapter 15, Gordianus leaves for_________________.
(a) The sea.
(d) The mountains.
15. How is Tiro related to Cicero?
(a) He is Cicero's brother.
(b) He is Cicero's nephew.
(c) He is Cicero's student.
(d) He is Cicero's slave.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who was with Roscius (pater) when he died?
2. How does Gordianus react to the events in Chapter 2?
3. When Gordianus leaves Caecilia Metella's house in Chapter 7, what does he observe Tiro doing?
4. Sextus Roscious (pater) aligned himself with which family before he died?
5. Who is the man prosecuting Cicero's client?
This section contains 544 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)