|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 11 when Cassie can’t sleep, what does she count?
2. Which of the Averys is hauled out of the house, knocked to the ground, and kicked?
3. Through what month do the Logans have money to pay the mortgage?
4. How many members of the school board come to observe Mrs. Logan’s teaching?
5. How long does Mr. Logan stay in bed after his injury?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 9, why does Mr. Jamison come to talk to Mr. Logan?
2. Why does Cassie think that Stacey feels responsible for T.J.?
3. How does Cassie threaten Lillian Jean when the girl threatens to tell her father that Cassie beat her up?
4. How will the Logans pay for their bills now that Mr. Logan can’t work for the railroad?
5. What can Cassie smell cooking Christmas morning?
6. What happened to T.J.?
7. As spring arrives, what is Cassie eager to do?
8. How was Mrs. Logan able to go to teacher training school?
9. How does Jeremy say that R.W. and Melvin treat T.J.?
10. Who fights the fire together?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, blacks have to endure vigilante justice. Why do blacks in the novel live in such fear? Why can’t they defend themselves? What are some instances when blacks are subject to vigilante justice? Why do whites have so much over blacks? Why can’t blacks turn whites in for brutality?
Essay Topic 2
Many black families felt as though they could not shop in Vicksburg. What economic pressures were put upon black families? How did these economic pressures make it difficult for them to shop anywhere but the Wallace store?
Essay Topic 3
In the 1930s, blacks are treated like second-class citizens. How does the author show how blacks are treated? In what ways are black children treated as inferior? How are adults treated like second-class citizens? What is different about living conditions for whites and blacks that shows that black people are not as important as whites? In what other ways are blacks of lesser rank than whites?
This section contains 857 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)