|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From whom did Mr. Logan and Uncle Hammer used to steal watermelons?
2. What do Big Ma and Mrs. Logan grab to fight the fire?
3. In Chapter 9, how many tablespoons of flour does Mama want Cassie to use for the cornbread?
4. How does Jeremy think that the fire started?
5. How long does Stacey think it will take him to get T.J. back home after robbery?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do Mama and Big Ma prepare to fight the fire?
2. What happens in Chapter 10 when Kaleb Wallace blocks the road so Mr. Morrison can’t get through with the wagon?
3. What does Stacey do with his new coat from Uncle Hammer?
4. What is Mrs. Logan teaching when members of the school board come to observe her classroom?
5. Why does Cassie think that Stacey feels responsible for T.J.?
6. What does Mr. Morrison do every night?
7. What happened to T.J.?
8. What do the Logan children see after they get T.J. home?
9. How does Cassie realize how the fire started?
10. What is so special about a revival?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Throughout the novel, blacks have to endure vigilante justice. Why do blacks in the novel live in such fear? Why can’t they defend themselves? What are some instances when blacks are subject to vigilante justice? Why do whites have so much over blacks? Why can’t blacks turn whites in for brutality?
Essay Topic 2
Most black families, including the Logans, grow cotton. Why is it so important for the Logans to grow cotton? What does cotton symbolize for the Logans? What benefits do the Logans gain from growing cotton? What do most black families gain from their cotton crops? How are the benefits the Logans gain from their cotton crop different from what other black gain from growing cotton?
Essay Topic 3
Stacey has a well-developed code of honor, but T.J. does not. What are some things that Stacey does because of his honor code? Does being honorable keep Stacey out of trouble? Who is more honorable Stacey or T.J.? Does being honorable benefit Stacey in the end? How does T.J.s lack of honor hurt him in the end?
This section contains 904 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)