|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10 after listening to her papa and mama talk about money, where does Cassie see Mr. Morrison coming from?
2. In Chapter 10, what does Mr. Wiggins decide he is going to grow?
3. How many children are in the Avery family?
4. Through what month do the Logans have money to pay the mortgage?
5. Who does Mrs. Logan say can prevent T.J. from getting lynched?
Short Essay Questions
1. How was Mrs. Logan able to go to teacher training school?
2. What do the children get for Christmas gifts?
3. What does Jeremy say about the fire?
4. As spring arrives, what is Cassie eager to do?
5. What can Cassie smell cooking Christmas morning?
6. How do Mama and Big Ma prepare to fight the fire?
7. What is Mrs. Logan teaching when members of the school board come to observe her classroom?
8. What do the children like to do in August when it is so hot?
9. What happened to T.J.?
10. Why doesn’t T.J. get hung in Chapter 11?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, there are obvious differences between the white school and the black school. Are the differences in the two schools strictly on the surface or do they run deeper? What are the most striking differences? What do the differences reveal about the relationship between blacks and whites during that time?
Essay Topic 2
When they get home Cassie is still upset that Big Ma didn’t defend her in Strawberry. What emotions was Big Ma feeling during the incident with the Simms? What did Big Ma fear might happen if they didn’t do what the Simms wanted? What were some other reasons that Big Ma didn’t defend Cassie?
Essay Topic 3
Thunder and storms occur in the novel during times of conflict. How often does a thunderstorm occur during a time of crisis? What does thunder symbolize in the novel? Does thunder sometimes foreshadow events to come? What does the title of the novel mean?
This section contains 769 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)