|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old was the Logan children’s grandfather when his mother died?
2. How many acres of land do the Logans own?
3. What color is Big Ma’s skin?
4. In Chapter 2, what day does Mr. Logan have to leave so he’ll be back to work on time?
5. What is Mrs. Logan’s first name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Logan children do to the white children’s school bus?
2. What does Uncle Hammer look like?
3. What happened to John Henry Berry and his family?
4. Why does Big Ma go to Strawberry the second Saturday of every month?
5. Why does Big Ma wish they had more low cotton?
6. What is the white school and grounds like?
7. Why is Cassie disappointed when she gets to Strawberry?
8. When do the black children attend school and why?
9. Why is there a man-made gap in the forest that the Logans own?
10. Why does T.J. go with Big Ma to Strawberry in Chapter 5?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Once a year, the church holds a week-long revival. Why is a revival an important part of the calendar year? How do revivals boost morale? What other benefits are seen from revivals?
Essay Topic 2
In Chapter 1, there are obvious differences between the white school and the black school. Are the differences in the two schools strictly on the surface or do they run deeper? What are the most striking differences? What do the differences reveal about the relationship between blacks and whites during that time?
Essay Topic 3
The incident with John Berry and his brother and uncle reveal how powerless blacks are. What are some other incidents that show the lack of power blacks had? Why couldn’t blacks like the Berrys defend themselves? Why didn’t the law step in to protect the blacks?
This section contains 715 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)