|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How old is Christopher John?
2. What is the name of the Jefferson Davis bus driver?
3. Who does Big Ma go to see after the market?
4. Who is Big Ma?
5. How many times did Big Ma’s father try to fun away from his master?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Cassie get in trouble at the Barnett Mercantile?
2. Why doesn’t Mrs. Logan want her children at the Wallace store?
3. hy does Mr. Avery come to the Logan home at the end of Chapter 3?
4. What does Uncle Hammer look like?
5. Why was Mr. Morrison fired from the railroad?
6. Why is there a man-made gap in the forest that the Logans own?
7. What is the white school and grounds like?
8. How does Mrs. Logan get ready for church?
9. What happens to the school bus in Chapter 3?
10. What knowledge does Papa Luke have that makes his owners go easy on him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mr. Logan believes that forgiveness and forgetting are two separate things. Does Mr. Logan believe that someone can forgive, but not forget? Why does Mr. Logan have to forget things, but yet, never forgive? What advice does he give Cassie about forgiving and forgetting?
Essay Topic 2
Mrs. Logan was fired from her teaching job. On the surface, what appeared to be reasons why the members of the school board fired her? What underlying reasons might have contributed to her losing her job? Was T.J. totally responsible for the board’s investigation?
Essay Topic 3
Most black families, including the Logans, grow cotton. Why is it so important for the Logans to grow cotton? What does cotton symbolize for the Logans? What benefits do the Logans gain from growing cotton? What do most black families gain from their cotton crops? How are the benefits the Logans gain from their cotton crop different from what other black gain from growing cotton?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)