|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the Logan children supposed to wear to keep the rain off from them?
2. What is Uncle Hammer wearing at the beginning of Chapter 6?
3. What is Big Ma’s first name?
4. How often is market day?
5. Who runs the Strawberry Mercantile?
Short Essay Questions
1. What knowledge does Papa Luke have that makes his owners go easy on him?
2. Why is there a man-made gap in the forest that the Logans own?
3. How does Mrs. Logan get ready for church?
4. According to T.J., why did the night riders come around in Chapter 3?
5. Why does Big Ma wish they had more low cotton?
6. Why was Mr. Morrison fired from the railroad?
7. Why don’t the Logan children like wearing the rain gear their mother provides?
8. What happened to John Henry Berry and his family?
9. What does Big Ma look like?
10. Why does Cassie get in trouble at the Barnett Mercantile?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
The incident with John Berry and his brother and uncle reveal how powerless blacks are. What are some other incidents that show the lack of power blacks had? Why couldn’t blacks like the Berrys defend themselves? Why didn’t the law step in to protect the blacks?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, blacks have to endure vigilante justice. Why do blacks in the novel live in such fear? Why can’t they defend themselves? What are some instances when blacks are subject to vigilante justice? Why do whites have so much over blacks? Why can’t blacks turn whites in for brutality?
Essay Topic 3
Mr. Logan believes that forgiveness and forgetting are two separate things. Does Mr. Logan believe that someone can forgive, but not forget? Why does Mr. Logan have to forget things, but yet, never forgive? What advice does he give Cassie about forgiving and forgetting?
This section contains 792 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)