|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many miles does Big Ma have to drive to get to the market?
2. What does Uncle Hammer give Stacey as an early Christmas present?
3. How much older is Uncle Hammer than Mr. Logan?
4. Which of the children doesn’t climb to pick the cotton?
5. How old is Little Man?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why don’t the Logan children like wearing the rain gear their mother provides?
2. What happens to the school bus in Chapter 3?
3. In Chapter 4, why does T.J. go back inside the Logan house?
4. Why doesn’t Mrs. Logan want her children at the Wallace store?
5. What does Uncle Hammer look like?
6. hy does Mr. Avery come to the Logan home at the end of Chapter 3?
7. What does Big Ma look like?
8. What does Big Ma tell Little Man when he keeps complaining because the black children don’t have a bust to take them to school?
9. Why is there a man-made gap in the forest that the Logans own?
10. What do the Logan children do to the white children’s school bus?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In Chapter 1, there are obvious differences between the white school and the black school. Are the differences in the two schools strictly on the surface or do they run deeper? What are the most striking differences? What do the differences reveal about the relationship between blacks and whites during that time?
Essay Topic 2
Throughout the novel, the author uses analogies to help explain and describe what is happening. How do analogies help readers visualize what is happening? Why do the analogies make it easier for readers to “see” what is going on? How do the comparisons in the analogies used assist readers?
Essay Topic 3
Once a year, the church holds a week-long revival. Why is a revival an important part of the calendar year? How do revivals boost morale? What other benefits are seen from revivals?
This section contains 752 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)