|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Crusoe say is the best way to approach a bear?
2. How much gunpowder does Crusoe have in Chapter 12?
3. In Chapter 16, how long does it take Crusoe to make the rigging and fit his masts and sails?
4. When Crusoe leaves the island in Chapter 19, how long has he been stranded on the island?
5. In Chapter 19, how many men come swimming to the ship begging to go with them?
Short Essay Questions
1. Beside Poll and the dog, what other creatures live with Crusoe in Chpater 13?
2. In Chapter 14, what does Crusoe think that his circumstances would be like if he had stayed in Brazil?
3. In Chapter 12, where and why does Crusoe move some of his goats?
4. In Chapter 17, what does Crusoe learn from the Spaniard that he and Friday rescued?
5. How does Crusoe dispose of his old plantation in Brazil?
6. Why does the Spaniard suggest that Crusoe wait six months before rescuing the Spaniard's comrades?
7. In Chapter 18, when the men from the ship are ready to go back in the boat after traipsing around the island, what does Crusoe have done to keep them on the shore?
8. In Chapter 15, why is the first year with Friday one of the most pleasant Crusoe has spent on the island?
9. In Chapter 16, how is the mast and sail made for the boat Crusoe and Friday make?
10. What type of companions are they and how long do Poll and the dog from the ship live with Crusoe?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crusoe sells Xury to the captain of the ship that rescues him. How would you describe the relationship between the two men, and what does their relationship reveal about the attitude toward non-whites in the seventeenth century?
Essay Topic 2
Crusoe believes that the misfortunes he has may be caused by not listening to his father. What misfortunes does Crusoe face because he ignores advice, and why does Crusoe believe that fate and destiny are behind the misfortunes that he faces?
Essay Topic 3
In Chapter 16, Crusoe thinks that he will just observe as Friday attacks the cannibals. What role does reasoning and indignation play in getting Crusoe involved in the attack?
This section contains 958 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)