|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 10, what wakens Crusoe when he makes his way to his country house?
2. When Crusoe sets out on his voyage in Chapter 10, how many years has he been on the island?
3. In Chapter 9, how many shirts does Crusoe say that he had?
4. In Chapter 4, how many barrels of gun powder does Crusoe find remain dry?
5. What does Crusoe call his island in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. On the second and third days when Crusoe goes exploring in Chapter 7, what does he find?
2. What does Crusoe cook to eat on June 17, and how does he like the food he fixes?
3. In Chapter 8 when Crusoe goes to explore the island, what does he take with him?
4. In Chapter 10, what does Crusoe say that he does for five years?
5. In Chapter 9 when Crusoe explores the island, what does he find?
6. In Chapter 1 after Crusoe was rescued from a sinking ship, what advice does he receive from the captain of the ship?
7. What happens after Crusoe kills a large leopard in Chapter 3?
8. What happens on Crusoe's second voyage in Chapter 2?
9. In Chapter 7, on the first day that Crusoe goes exploring, what does he find?
10. How does Crusoe prepare his small boat for a journey in Chapter 10?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crusoe sells Xury to the captain of the ship that rescues him. How would you describe the relationship between the two men, and what does their relationship reveal about the attitude toward non-whites in the seventeenth century?
Essay Topic 2
Although Crusoe could give up and just die after he arrives on the island, he works hard to survive. How would you describe Crusoe’s survival instinct, and what do his actions reveal about the human desire to live?
Essay Topic 3
In the novel, the native peoples are described as savages and cannibals. What do using those terms to describe the native peoples indicate about what Crusoe and what Europeans in the 17th century thought about non-Europeans?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)