|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 7, when Crusoe goes back to the brook and savannas and to a place with woods, what fruit does he find?
2. On November 23, how many days does Crusoe say that he spends widening and deepening his cave?
3. In Chapter 4, when Crusoe returns from his second trip to the ship, what does he finding sitting on one of his chests?
4. In Chapter 8, how many turtles has Crusoe found on his side of the island in a year and a half?
5. When was Crusoe born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Crusoe cook to eat on June 17, and how does he like the food he fixes?
2. How successful is Crusoe at fishing on May 4?
3. In Chapter 4, what does Crusoe do when he first gets onto the ship, and what does he find that is useful?
4. How does Crusoe prepare his small boat for a journey in Chapter 10?
5. How successful is Crusoe's first journey in Chapter 2?
6. What happens on Crusoe's second voyage in Chapter 2?
7. In Chapter 9, how does Crusoe describe his effort to make earthen vessels?
8. In Chapter 8 when Crusoe goes to explore the island, what does he take with him?
9. What dream does Crusoe have on June 27?
10. In Chapter 10, when does Crusoe begin his journey and what does he find that makes him go out to sea?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Crusoe rescues a native from the cannibals, and they live together and become friends. What type of relationship do the two men have, and why does Crusoe seem to be dominant in the relationship?
Essay Topic 2
The novel is an adventure story, but also an account of Crusoe’s spiritual journey. In what ways is the novel an allegory, and why can it be viewed as a spiritual allegory?
Essay Topic 3
Crusoe abhors the behavior of the cannibals, but he is not sure that it is his place to punish them. Why does Crusoe hesitate to punish the criminals, and what does his decision to leave them alone reveal about Crusoe’s belief in divine retribution?
This section contains 960 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)