|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dilemma faced the Justice Department when civil rights leaders in the South were brutalized?
2. What three organizations did Robert Kennedy enlist support from?
3. Which two offices did the FBI director covertly oppose?
4. Which issue did Robert Kennedy think posed the greatest threat facing the nation?
5. Who was appointed ambassador to England?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the momentum the civil rights picked up after the death of student Medgar Evans.
2. Whose appointment as an Assistant Attorney General invoked rage, and what was the immediate consequence of this action?
3. How did the American government react to the Cuban Missile Crisis?
4. What did Robert Kennedy do to mitigate hostile relations with Cuba?
5. What did Robert Kennedy do in New York to improve the lives of the poverty-stricken?
6. What personal tragedies happened in the Kennedy family during the war and subsequently?
7. What role did Robert Kennedy play in the early 1950s in government?
8. What was the direct political result of Robert Kennedy's investigation of the six steel companies in the anti-trust case?
9. What was Robert Kennedy's role in the investigation of Kohler Plumbing?
10. Describe Robert Kennedy's actions regarding the notorious investigation against six large steel companies.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In this book, Schlesinger discusses many significant issues facing the American justice system in the 1950s and 1960s such as organized crime, civil rights legislation, and accountability. What was Robert Kennedy's position on each of these issues? How did his political stance (both rhetoric and action) result in the characterization of an honest, blunt, and passionate prosecutor?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the importance of the Brown versus Board of Education ruling in relationship to Medgar Evans.
Essay Topic 3
Describe the Bay of Pigs Incident and its effect on America's reputation. What action did the Kennedy government take to remedy the situation? Explain.
This section contains 723 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)