|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What favorite activity of Hoover's did Kennedy severely limit?
2. What apathetic division of the Justice department did Robert Kennedy try to change?
3. Which two governors openly defied the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education?
4. Whose Vice-Presidential bid failed in 1956?
5. What did Robert Kennedy find was a frequent result of poverty?
Short Essay Questions
1. What action taken by Soviet leader Khrushchev immediately caused a red alert for American security?
2. What action did Robert Kennedy take to enforce the 1954 Brown v Board of Education decision in the south?
3. What action did Robert Kennedy take to avert the escalation of the Cuban Missile Crisis?
4. Who did the Senate committee investigate associated with money laundering and the mob?
5. Describe Walter Reuther's position that antagonized Republicans.
6. Describe Robert Kennedy's actions regarding the notorious investigation against six large steel companies.
7. Whose appointment as an Assistant Attorney General invoked rage, and what was the immediate consequence of this action?
8. What role did Robert Kennedy play in the early 1950s in government?
9. What were some indictments that Robert Kennedy pursued as Attorney General that were difficult?
10. Describe the momentum the civil rights picked up after the death of student Medgar Evans.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Joseph McCarthy classified many American citizens as Communist "subversives." How did this classification isolate these people and engender fear in the public? What effect did this classification have on the judicial system initially when McCarthy reigns supreme? What effect did it have when McCarthy is removed from power? Describe.
Essay Topic 2
Create a brief portrait study of Robert Kennedy. What did he look like? What were his positive personality traits? What were some of his negative characteristics? What were his hopes and fears? What motivated him through his life? How did he change from the beginning of the book, to his work in the Justice Department, and finally as a candidate for President?
Essay Topic 3
Prior to the assassination of his brother, what was Robert Kennedy most concerned with? How did his focus shift after his brother's death? Why did he choose to run as a presidential candidate? What opposition did he face? Describe.
This section contains 746 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)