|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why was Robert Kennedy hesitant to run for political office in 1968?
(a) He did not want to run against someone of his own party.
(b) He did not want to lose.
(c) He felt angry.
(d) He did not like politics.
2. What did Kennedy's studies of slum squalor in America during the 1960s reveal?
(a) Violence and anger of poor families living in condemned buildings.
(b) Destitution of migrant workers.
(c) Lack of rights for most Americans.
(d) Lack of sanitation.
3. What was the name of the insurgent guerrilla force in southern Vietnam in the 1960s?
(c) Chi Minh.
(d) Viet Cong.
4. What operation launched by the CIA in Cuba also met with disastrous results?
(a) Khruschev Initiative.
(b) Fidel Capture.
(c) Operation Mongoose.
(d) Bay of Pigs.
5. What did the American public grow alarmed about in 1967?
(b) The rising cost of inflation.
(d) The cost of the war in terms of money and human lives.
6. Why did some Americans believe that staying in Vietnam was important?
(a) To win the popular vote.
(b) To prevent the spread of Communism.
(c) To build bigger American corporations.
(d) To stop civil war in America.
7. Where did many migrant workers in America during the late 1960s live?
(a) In apartments.
(b) Cars and buses.
(c) Under railroads.
(d) On rooftops.
8. What became the new policy of the Johnson administration toward Latin America in the 1960s?
(a) Support U.S. corporations doing business there.
(b) Overthrow governments.
(c) Eradicate poverty.
(d) Create democracy.
9. Who was the hated dictator in former Indochina in the 1960s?
(c) Ho Chi Minh.
10. What devastated Robert Kennedy?
(a) The arrival of twins.
(b) The creation of South Vietnam.
(c) The building of nuclear Iran.
(d) The death of the president.
11. Who launched a successful attack against American forces in Vietnam?
(a) Ho Chi Minh.
(b) Communist forces of General Nguyen.
(c) North Vietnamese and Viet Cong.
(d) Communist forces of China.
12. Who led a military coup to oust Diem from office?
(a) Robert Kennedy.
(b) President Kennedy.
(c) Cabot Lodge.
13. What did many Democrats want Robert Kennedy to do in 1964?
(a) Declare bankruptcy.
(b) Resign his cabinet post.
(c) Give up his Senate seat.
(d) Run for vice-president.
14. When Robert Kennedy returned to the Justice Department after the death of his brother, who did he find in charge?
(a) Lyndon B. Johnson.
(b) Steve Moody.
(c) Robert Brown.
(d) George Wallace.
15. What decision did President Johnson make about the war in Vietnam during the 1960s?
(a) To stay and add more troops.
(b) To overthrow the government in a military coup.
(c) To withdraw troops immediately.
(d) To gradually withdraw troops in a year.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Robert Kennedy announced his Presidential candidacy in 1968, what happened within his own party?
2. Who resigned as Attorney General in 1964?
3. What was happening in America in 1968?
4. When John Kennedy stood for reelection, what was the country enamored by?
5. Who told the American public that the Americans were winning in Vietnam in 1968?
This section contains 545 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)