|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which two governors openly defied the 1954 Brown vs. Board of Education?
(a) Taylor Manning of Tennessee and Roy Chace of South Carolina.
(b) Ross Barnett of Mississippi and George Wallace of Alabama.
(c) Ross Barnett of Alabama and George Wallace of Mississippi.
(d) Strom Thurmond of Georgia and Clint Black of Florida.
2. What event in Wisconsin invoked the ire of Republicans?
(a) Bargaining on behalf of the company.
(b) Communist demonstrations.
(c) Unfair labor practices.
(d) The worker strike against Kohler plumbing.
3. What did Robert Kennedy study at Harvard?
(b) International business.
(d) Constitutional law.
4. What apathetic division of the Justice department did Robert Kennedy try to change?
(a) The anti-trust division.
(b) The special services division.
(c) The social services division.
(d) The criminal justice division.
5. Which issue did Robert Kennedy think posed the greatest threat facing the nation?
(a) Organized crime.
(d) Civil rights.
6. Whose Vice-Presidential bid failed in 1956?
(a) Joe McCarthy.
(b) John F. Kennedy.
(c) Herbert Hoover.
(d) Patrick Kennedy.
7. Where did Hoover get most of his information about organized crime?
(a) Secret observers.
8. What did America have to do to prevent the rise of Communism?
(a) Give away land.
(b) Lead insurgent armies.
(c) Become more involved in world affairs.
(d) Install a puppet regime in Indochina.
9. How did the American government sully its reputation abroad during the 1960s?
(a) By offering aid to despotic governments.
(b) By advocating democracy.
(c) By refusing to compromise beliefs.
(d) By refusing to engage in war.
10. What payments were made to the Cuban dictator to release prisoners?
(a) Gold and silver.
(b) Gold and cash.
(c) Transfer of authority over waterways.
(d) Food, money, and drugs.
11. Who married a banking millionaire and had nine children?
(a) Joseph Kennedy.
(b) Rose Fitzgerald.
(c) Joseph McCarthy.
(d) Eunice Hoover.
12. Who led the United Automobile Workers (UAW)?
(a) Joe McCarthy.
(b) Jimmy Hoffa.
(c) Walter Reuther.
(d) Herbert Hoover.
13. Why did Robert Kennedy spearhead covert negotiations with Castro?
(a) To gain the release of American prisoners.
(b) For building a defense base.
(c) For access to drugs.
(d) For access to Soviet missiles.
14. Who did Robert Kennedy work within New York to build a model community program?
(a) David Hackett.
(b) Joe McCarthy.
(c) William Orrick.
(d) Bobby Barkeley.
15. What were two measures the Attorney General Robert Kennedy took to repair inequality in the court system?
(a) He encouraged rehabilitation and separating the youth from hardened criminals.
(b) He built bigger, stronger prisons.
(c) He encouraged the use of death penalty and waterboarding.
(d) He removed the need for lawyers and bail in all cases.
Short Answer Questions
1. What immigrants were not popular in the 1800s in America?
2. Whose prosecution by Attorney General Robert Kennedy caused the ire of Lyndon B. Johnson?
3. What did the Asian countries yearn to be free of?
4. During the 1960s, what emerged as the primary U.S. goal with foreign relations?
5. Who died in a plane crash when Robert Kennedy married?
This section contains 495 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)