|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Charis tells Billy she's pregnant?
2. In Chapter 50, what does Charis see through Zenia's eyes in the astral realm?
3. Who tries to commit suicide in Chapter 48 with sleeping pills and scotch?
4. What does Roz find out about Zenia's past in Berlin and her career as a reporter?
5. Why does Karen's mother, Gloria, send Karen to live with her grandmother?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
2. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
3. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
4. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
5. What story does Zenia give Charis about her parents.
6. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
7. Why is Billy in Canada?
8. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
9. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
10. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 944 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)