|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Zenia move in with in Chapter 47?
2. What tale does Zenia tell Roz when invited to Roz's house for a drink?
3. What kind of work does Charis do in Chapter 29?
4. In Chapter 52, which of the following is not something Zenia claims has happened to Billy since he left Charis?
5. Who pays for Zenia's funeral in Chapter 55?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
2. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
3. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
4. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
5. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
6. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
7. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
8. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
9. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
10. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Zenia with each of the friends she betrays: Tony, Charis, and Roz. What draws each of the women to Zenia, and what draws Zenia to each of them in return? How does Zenia tailor her claims about her childhood to each woman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 913 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)