|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens when Charis tells Billy she's pregnant?
2. For whom did Roz and her mother always have to keep the boarding house clean in Chapter 42?
3. What kind of work does Charis do in Chapter 29?
4. Where are Zenia's ashes temporarily stored in Chapter 55?
5. In Chapter 50, what does Roz dream about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
2. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
3. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
4. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
5. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
6. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
7. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
8. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
9. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
10. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her grandmother.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 961 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)