|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 52, Charis chooses what items as totems on her altar before confronting Zenia?
2. Who is the waitress who serves Roz and Mitch lunch in Chapter 41?
3. What does Zenia threaten to do to Tony at the end of Chapter 51?
4. In Chapter 30, what crime does Billy tell Charis that he has accidentally committed?
5. What does Charis raise at her house on the Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
2. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
3. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
4. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
5. As Charis prepares to confront Zenia in Chapter 52, what signs does she receive that something bad is about to happen?
6. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
7. Explain how Roz's father made his money.
8. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
9. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her grandmother.
10. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,008 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)