|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Karen react when she is being raped?
2. What does Billy tell Charis that Zenia is faking?
3. In Chapter 39, what does Roz recall that her twin daughters wanted every character in their storybooks to be when they were younger?
4. At what age does Karen first meet her grandmother in Chapter 33?
5. Where does Zenia end up living at the end of Chapter 31?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
2. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
3. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
4. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
5. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
6. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
7. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
8. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
9. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
10. Why is Billy in Canada?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of West, Billy and Mitch in "The Robber Bride." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)