|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Harriet Bridges, the private detective, tell Roz about Larry in Chapter 52?
2. In Chapter 50, what does Tony dream of?
3. When Charis follows Zenia and her male companion in a cab in Chapter 28, where do they end up going?
4. When does Roz first learn of her husband's infidelity?
5. In Chapter 51, Tony and her dinner companions have each seen who that day?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
2. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
3. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
4. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
5. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
6. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
7. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
8. Why is Billy in Canada?
9. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
10. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 2
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 858 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)