|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What rare invitation does Mitch offer Roz at the end of Chapter 40?
2. What does Zenia claim to be when she seeks Roz's help in gaining employment at WiseWomanWorld?
3. Who is the waitress who serves Roz and Mitch lunch in Chapter 41?
4. Where does Zenia end up living at the end of Chapter 31?
5. In Chapter 50, what does Tony dream of?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
2. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
3. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
4. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
5. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
6. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
7. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
8. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
9. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
10. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Larry, Roz's son, is gay. Discuss how his conflict over his role in society affects him and compare and contrast his experience with his mother's conflict over her role in society. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
This section contains 894 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)