|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 45, why does Roz give to so many charitable causes?
2. Where do Tony, Charis and Roz meet for dinner at the beginning of Chapter 51?
3. Where are Zenia's ashes temporarily stored in Chapter 55?
4. At what age does Karen first meet her grandmother in Chapter 33?
5. When Karen is sent to live with Aunt Vi, what does her grandmother give her?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
2. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her grandmother.
3. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
4. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
5. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
6. What story does Zenia give Charis about her parents.
7. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
8. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
9. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
10. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of war in "The Robber Bride." Give three examples of how the theme is woven into the story and discuss why you think the author chose the imagery of war and battle for this tale. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 869 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)