|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Zenia claim to be dying of when she meets Charis in Chapter 52?
2. What were the boarders in Roz's mother's boarding house not allowed to do in Chapter 42?
3. What does Zenia do to WiseWomanWorld once she is placed in charge of advertising?
4. In Chapter 50, what does Roz dream about?
5. In Chapter 39, what does Roz think is a better name for Zenia than "The Robber Bride"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,169 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)