|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Roz feel inferior to Mitch during lunch at the beginning of Chapter 41?
2. In Chapter 50, what does Charis see through Zenia's eyes in the astral realm?
3. Who pays for Zenia's funeral in Chapter 55?
4. What does West tell Tony in Chapter 51 that Zenia told him when she dumped him?
5. How does West respond when Tony tells him he is the most interesting man she's ever known?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Roz's father made his money.
2. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
3. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
4. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her grandmother.
5. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
6. Why is Billy in Canada?
7. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
8. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
9. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
10. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 855 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)