|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What tale does Zenia tell Roz when invited to Roz's house for a drink?
2. Who pays for Zenia's funeral in Chapter 55?
3. For whom did Roz and her mother always have to keep the boarding house clean in Chapter 42?
4. In Chapter 45, why does Roz give to so many charitable causes?
5. What does Mitch expect Roz to do when she finds out about his mistresses?
Essay Topic 1
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,201 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)