|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these signs is not a reason Roz suspects Mitch is having another affair?
2. What does Harriet Bridges, the private detective, tell Roz about Larry in Chapter 52?
3. Who is allowed to do what the boarders are not permitted to in Roz's mother's boarding house?
4. How does West respond when Tony tells him he is the most interesting man she's ever known?
5. In Chapter 52, Charis chooses what items as totems on her altar before confronting Zenia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain how Roz's father made his money.
2. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
3. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
4. What story does Zenia give Charis about her parents.
5. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
6. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
7. Why is Billy in Canada?
8. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
9. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
10. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 3
Eggs are a recurring symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Cite three examples of the use of this symbol and discuss what you think eggs represent in each example.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)