|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What special gift does Karen's grandmother have?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 40, Roz suspects her husband, Mitch, is doing what?
3. When Charis follows Zenia and her male companion in a cab in Chapter 28, where do they end up going?
4. When does Roz first learn of her husband's infidelity?
5. When Tony sees Zenia at the hotel in Chapter 51, which of the following is not a reason Zenia gives for faking her death?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
2. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
3. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
4. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
5. As Charis prepares to confront Zenia in Chapter 52, what signs does she receive that something bad is about to happen?
6. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
7. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
8. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
9. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
10. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 974 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)