|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Charis raise at her house on the Island?
2. What tale does Zenia tell Roz when invited to Roz's house for a drink?
3. What reason does Zenia give Roz for Larry's visits to Zenia's hotel room?
4. When Karen is sent to live with Aunt Vi, what does her grandmother give her?
5. In Chapter 50, what does Tony dream of?
Short Essay Questions
1. As Charis prepares to confront Zenia in Chapter 52, what signs does she receive that something bad is about to happen?
2. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
3. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
4. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
5. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
6. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
7. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
8. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
9. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
10. Explain what makes Karen become Charis.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" takes place in Canada, and the characters live through the Vietnam era and the growth of the women's movement in the 1960s. Discuss how the geographical and chronological settings affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Margaret Atwood had set the novel in the United States during the 1940s instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,002 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)