|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Karen is sent to live with Aunt Vi, what does her grandmother give her?
2. Where does Zenia end up living at the end of Chapter 31?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 40, Roz suspects her husband, Mitch, is doing what?
4. In Chapter 52, Charis chooses what items as totems on her altar before confronting Zenia?
5. What special gift does Karen's grandmother have?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
2. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
3. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
4. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
5. What does Roz find out about Zenia through Harriet, the private detective?
6. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
7. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
8. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
9. As Charis prepares to confront Zenia in Chapter 52, what signs does she receive that something bad is about to happen?
10. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 3
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 991 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)