|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rapes Karen in Chapter 35?
2. From whom does Charis obtain Zenia's hotel room number in Chapter 52?
3. What special gift does Karen's grandmother have?
4. What does Billy tell Charis that Zenia is faking?
5. In Chapter 55, what secret is revealed to Roz by Boyce and Larry?
Short Essay Questions
1. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
2. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
3. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
4. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
5. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
6. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
7. Why is Billy in Canada?
8. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
9. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
10. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Eggs are a recurring symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Cite three examples of the use of this symbol and discuss what you think eggs represent in each example.
This section contains 844 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)