|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What brings Billy to Canada from the United States in Chapter 30?
2. How did Charis and Zenia originally meet?
3. In Chapter 50, what does Tony dream of?
4. Why did Mitch, who is very handsome, marry Roz?
5. Who helps Charis when her baby is born at the end of Chapter 38?
Short Essay Questions
1. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
2. Describe Roz's childhood with her mother before her father's return from the war.
3. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
4. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
5. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
6. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
7. To what do the police attribute Zenia's death, and why is there an aura of mystery about Zenia's passing?
8. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
9. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
10. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
This section contains 982 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)