|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happens to Karen's inheritance from her grandmother?
2. Why does Zenia wear sunglasses in Chapter 31?
3. When Karen is sent to live with Aunt Vi, what does her grandmother give her?
4. What were the boarders in Roz's mother's boarding house not allowed to do in Chapter 42?
5. What does Charis raise at her house on the Island?
Short Essay Questions
1. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
2. What story does Zenia give Charis about her parents.
3. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
4. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
5. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
6. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
7. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
8. What story does Zenia give Roz about Roz's father's heroism?
9. What explanation does West gives Roz in Chapter 52 for his attraction to Zenia?
10. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Eggs are a recurring symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Cite three examples of the use of this symbol and discuss what you think eggs represent in each example.
This section contains 862 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)