|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 15, what evidence tells Roz her son Larry has been to the Toxique?
2. What was McClung Hall before it became an office building?
3. As Charis boards the ferry at the end of Chapter 8, whose departure does she recall?
4. In Chapter 9, what changes does Shanita tell Charis that she is going to make to the shop because of the recession?
5. What event is not happening on the day Tony decides to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
2. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
3. How does Roz's husband Mitch usually get his affairs with other women to end?
4. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
5. The story with which Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53 is another of Zenia's many lies. Explain Zenia's real relationship with Larry.
6. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
7. As Charis prepares to confront Zenia in Chapter 52, what signs does she receive that something bad is about to happen?
8. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
9. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
10. Explain the significance of the light blue energy Charis sees around her hands after tossing Zenia's ashes into the water in Chapter 57.
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Zenia with each of the friends she betrays: Tony, Charis, and Roz. What draws each of the women to Zenia, and what draws Zenia to each of them in return? How does Zenia tailor her claims about her childhood to each woman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,878 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)