|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is West's profession?
2. Who does Tony say in Chapter 1 "was a bad business, and should be left alone"?
3. What was McClung Hall before it became an office building?
4. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
5. Over what lake does a breeze blow at the end of Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
2. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
3. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
4. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
5. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
6. Describe Tony's sand table and the game she plays on it.
7. Why is it likely that Tony can find no record of Zenia's birth?
8. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
9. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
10. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the character of Zenia with each of the friends she betrays: Tony, Charis, and Roz. What draws each of the women to Zenia, and what draws Zenia to each of them in return? How does Zenia tailor her claims about her childhood to each woman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 1,775 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)