|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reverses words and thinks and writes them backwards?
2. What is the weather like on the day Tony decides to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
3. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what does Tony equate to a European print in which "something ordinary but horrifying is taking place"?
4. What does Tony say near the end of Chapter 1 about beginning and ending points in the study of history?
5. After Zenia leaves him in Chapter 26, to whom does West turn for comfort and eventually marry?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
2. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
3. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
4. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
5. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
6. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
7. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
8. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
9. Were Tony's parents happily married?
10. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 2
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 3
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 946 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)