|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who does Tony say in Chapter 1 "was a bad business, and should be left alone"?
2. Which of the following is not a trait Roz likes about her homosexual male assistant, Boyce?
3. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
4. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what has been erased, bandaged over and deliberately snarled?
5. Who does Tony think would enjoy the contradictory images in her lecture in Chapter 1?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
3. Describe Tony's relationship with West during her undergraduate days at McClung Hall.
4. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
5. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
6. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
7. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
8. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
9. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
10. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 3
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 802 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)