|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, why does Tony feel compelled to know Zenia's motivation?
2. What is the name of the shop at which Charis works?
3. Who taught Tony to make a cup of tea?
4. In Chapter 17, what does Tony have in her basement that she uses for a personal game?
5. If Tony can understand the person she thinks is a puzzle and knot, what does she hope will happen?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
2. In Chapter 57, Roz feels gratitude toward Zenia. Why might Roz feel gratitude after all the pain Zenia caused her?
3. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
4. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
5. What changes occur in Roz's life after her father's return from the war.
6. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
7. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
8. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
9. Why is it likely that Tony can find no record of Zenia's birth?
10. Explain Charis's psychic abilities.
Essay Topic 1
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,854 words
(approx. 7 pages at 300 words per page)