|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Over what lake does a breeze blow at the end of Chapter 1?
2. Who is the narrator in the first chapter of "The Robber Bride"?
3. In Chapter 1, to whom does Tony say that history is a construct?
4. Which of the following is not true about Tony's relationship with West at the beginning of Chapter 19?
5. Which of the following is not true about the tale Zenia tells Tony of her own mother and childhood?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
3. How does Zenia use Tony in Chapter 25?
4. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
5. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
6. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
7. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
8. Describe Radiance.
9. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
10. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Eggs are a recurring symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Cite three examples of the use of this symbol and discuss what you think eggs represent in each example.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 922 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)