|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the end of Chapter 27, who does Tony want to protect from Zenia?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony say comes unraveled if you "pick any strand and snip"?
3. When Zenia asks Tony in Chapter 19 what her passion is, how does Tony respond?
4. What does Tony believe has helped her gain acceptance in the traditionally male field of the study of the history of warfare?
5. What is Tony's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
2. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
3. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
4. Were Tony's parents happily married?
5. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
6. How does Zenia use Tony in Chapter 25?
7. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
8. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
9. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
10. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
"The Robber Bride" takes place in Canada, and the characters live through the Vietnam era and the growth of the women's movement in the 1960s. Discuss how the geographical and chronological settings affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Margaret Atwood had set the novel in the United States during the 1940s instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
This section contains 842 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)