Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what changes does Shanita tell Charis that she is going to make to the shop because of the recession?
2. What does West do when Zenia returns after he has married Tony?
3. In Chapter 5, what do Tony, Roz and Charis talk about when they lunch together?
4. The shop at which Charis works sells what kind of things?
5. At Zenia's funeral in Chapter 3, who feels relieved that Zenia is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
3. What evidence in the final chapters indicates that Tony, Roz, and Charis no longer consider Zenia an enemy?
4. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
5. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
6. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
7. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
8. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
9. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
10. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 981 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)