|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 19, how are the walls of West's apartment painted when Tony goes there for a party?
2. What date does Tony decide to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
3. Who says in Chapter 1 that "A disaster is a disaster; those hurt by it remain hurt, those killed remain killed, the rubble remains rubble"?
4. Who does Tony describe in Chapter 1 as "a puzzle, a knot"?
5. In Chapter 1, what is the topic of what Tony describes as one of her more convoluted lectures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
2. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
3. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
4. Were Tony's parents happily married?
5. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
6. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
7. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
8. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
9. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
10. Describe Radiance.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the character of Zenia with each of the friends she betrays: Tony, Charis, and Roz. What draws each of the women to Zenia, and what draws Zenia to each of them in return? How does Zenia tailor her claims about her childhood to each woman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Larry, Roz's son, is gay. Discuss how his conflict over his role in society affects him and compare and contrast his experience with his mother's conflict over her role in society. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 893 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)