|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who reverses words and thinks and writes them backwards?
2. What does Roz do when she learns Zenia is still alive?
3. After Zenia leaves him in Chapter 26, to whom does West turn for comfort and eventually marry?
4. When Charis sees Zenia at Toxique in Chapter 10, what does she see swirling around Zenia?
5. Who says in Chapter 1 that "A disaster is a disaster; those hurt by it remain hurt, those killed remain killed, the rubble remains rubble"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
3. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
4. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
5. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
6. Describe Zenia's rise to power at WiseWomanWorld.
7. Explain how Zenia tries to blackmail Roz in Chapter 53.
8. Describe the Remembrance Day Tony, Roz and Charis hold for Zenia.
9. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
10. Describe the power in Karen's grandmother's hands.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 1,753 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)