|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At Zenia's funeral in Chapter 3, who feels relieved that Zenia is dead?
2. What does Tony say at the beginning of Chapter 1 that Zenia would do "earnestly, with a catch in her voice, a quaver of suppressed grief, or... haltingly, as if confessing"?
3. How does Anthea die in Chapter 23?
4. In Chapter 8, for whom does Charis mistake her daughter Augusta when she appears unexpectedly at Charis's back door?
5. What event is not happening on the day Tony decides to use as the starting point for Zenia's story?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
2. Were Tony's parents happily married?
3. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
4. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
5. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
6. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
7. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
8. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
9. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
10. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 2
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 966 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)