|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the narrator in the first chapter of "The Robber Bride"?
2. Who reverses words and thinks and writes them backwards?
3. What does Tony say in Chapter 1 that Zenia both enjoyed and created?
4. Where are Zenia's ashes interred in Chapter 3?
5. What unethical thing does Zenia ask Tony to do for her in Chapter 25?
Short Essay Questions
1. Were Tony's parents happily married?
2. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
3. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
4. Describe Radiance.
5. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
6. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
7. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
8. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
9. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
10. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of war in "The Robber Bride." Give three examples of how the theme is woven into the story and discuss why you think the author chose the imagery of war and battle for this tale. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 901 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)