|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does West do when Zenia returns after he has married Tony?
2. What unethical thing does Zenia ask Tony to do for her in Chapter 25?
3. Which of the following is not true about the tale Zenia tells Tony of her own mother and childhood?
4. Who does Tony think would enjoy the contradictory images in her lecture in Chapter 1?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Tony like to see on the faces of her listeners when she gives her lectures?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
2. Describe Radiance.
3. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
4. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
5. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
6. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
7. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
8. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
9. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
10. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 989 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)