Mid-Book Test - Hard
|Name: _____________________________||Period: ___________________________|
This quiz consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what changes does Shanita tell Charis that she is going to make to the shop because of the recession?
2. What does West do when Zenia returns after he has married Tony?
3. In Chapter 5, what do Tony, Roz and Charis talk about when they lunch together?
4. The shop at which Charis works sells what kind of things?
5. At Zenia's funeral in Chapter 3, who feels relieved that Zenia is dead?
Short Essay Questions
1. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
2. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
3. What evidence in the final chapters indicates that Tony, Roz, and Charis no longer consider Zenia an enemy?
4. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
5. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
6. What does Zenia claim happened to Billy after he left Charis?
7. Recount what happens to Mitch after he leaves Roz for Zenia.
8. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
9. What do the bad dreams Tony, Charis and Roz have in Chapter 50 symbolize?
10. How do Roz and Tony help Charis after Billy leaves her
Compare and contrast the characters of West, Billy and Mitch in "The Robber Bride." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
"The Robber Bride" takes place in Canada, and the characters live through the Vietnam era and the growth of the women's movement in the 1960s. Discuss how the geographical and chronological settings affect the story and how the characters and story might differ if Margaret Atwood had set the novel in the United States during the 1940s instead. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 892 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)