|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What interests Tony more than births and deaths and marriages?
2. What was Charis's name before she changed it to Charis?
3. Where are Zenia's ashes interred in Chapter 3?
4. In Chapter 24, what does Tony think that she and Zenia have in common?
5. In Chapter 15, what evidence tells Roz her son Larry has been to the Toxique?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
2. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
3. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
4. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
5. Were Tony's parents happily married?
6. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
7. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
8. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
9. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
10. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Tony Fremont's peculiar habit of writing and speaking backwards.
Part I: Give at least three examples of Tony speaking or writing in this way.
Part 2: Discuss what you think this habit reveals about Tony's character.
Part 3: Discuss what you think the author might be saying about the role of women in society through Tony's habit.
This section contains 925 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)