|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 1, to whom does Tony say that history is a construct?
2. In Chapter 17, what does Tony have in her basement that she uses for a personal game?
3. Who says in Chapter 1 that "A disaster is a disaster; those hurt by it remain hurt, those killed remain killed, the rubble remains rubble"?
4. What is the name of the shop at which Charis works?
5. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
2. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
3. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
4. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
5. Describe Radiance.
6. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
7. Were Tony's parents happily married?
8. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
9. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
10. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Compare and contrast the characters of West, Billy and Mitch in "The Robber Bride." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of war in "The Robber Bride." Give three examples of how the theme is woven into the story and discuss why you think the author chose the imagery of war and battle for this tale. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 853 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)