|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what changes does Shanita tell Charis that she is going to make to the shop because of the recession?
2. Which of the following is not true about Tony's relationship with West at the beginning of Chapter 19?
3. At the end of Chapter 1, from what does Zenia return?
4. After Zenia leaves him in Chapter 26, to whom does West turn for comfort and eventually marry?
5. What is Tony's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tony's sand table and the game she plays on it.
2. Describe Radiance.
3. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
4. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
5. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
6. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
7. In Chapter 1, what does Tony's statement that the place where Zenia began must have been "someplace bruised, and very tangled" indicate about Zenia's character?
8. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
9. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
10. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
Essay Topic 2
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)