|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what does Tony equate to a European print in which "something ordinary but horrifying is taking place"?
2. Who reverses words and thinks and writes them backwards?
3. What is Tony's profession?
4. Zenia makes what changes to Tony's appearance in Chapter 20?
5. In Chapter 22, who was an English war bride?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
2. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
3. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
4. Were Tony's parents happily married?
5. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
6. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
7. How does Zenia use Tony in Chapter 25?
8. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
9. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
10. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of West, Billy and Mitch in "The Robber Bride." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the concept of gender role reversal in "The Robber Bride." Give examples of how each of the following characters exhibits atypical role behavior for his or her gender in the novel: Boyce, Charis, Tony, and Roz. What do you think Margaret Atwood is trying to say about the role of women in society through these examples of gender role reversal? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 870 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)