|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of collars does Tony wear in Chapter 1?
2. Which of the following is not true about the tale Zenia tells Tony of her own mother and childhood?
3. In Chapter 1, what is the topic of what Tony describes as one of her more convoluted lectures?
4. Which of the following is not a result of Zenia's friendship with Tony in Chapter 20?
5. What does Roz's parking space at her office read?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
2. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
3. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
4. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
5. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
6. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
7. How does Zenia use Tony in Chapter 25?
8. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
9. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
10. Describe Tony's relationship with West during her undergraduate days at McClung Hall.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Tony, the historian, opens and closes "The Robber Bride" and decides where to start and stop the story of Zenia. Who is the strongest of the three friends whose men are stolen from them by Zenia: Tony, Roz or Charis? Why? Compare and contrast the strengths and weaknesses of the three protagonists in the novel and discuss whether any of them develop strengths during the course of the story that they do not display at the beginning of the story. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of irony. Cite three examples of irony in the novel and discuss what you think the author intends to convey with each example.
This section contains 934 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)