|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 17, what does Tony have in her basement that she uses for a personal game?
2. Who does Tony describe in Chapter 1 as "a puzzle, a knot"?
3. Over what lake does a breeze blow at the end of Chapter 1?
4. As Charis boards the ferry at the end of Chapter 8, whose departure does she recall?
5. Who is the narrator in the first chapter of "The Robber Bride"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
2. Were Tony's parents happily married?
3. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
4. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
5. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
6. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
7. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
8. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
9. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
10. Explain Charis's psychic abilities.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the theme of war in "The Robber Bride." Give three examples of how the theme is woven into the story and discuss why you think the author chose the imagery of war and battle for this tale. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 872 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)