|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. With whom does Tony have lunch at the end of Chapter 1?
2. In Chapter 19, how are the walls of West's apartment painted when Tony goes there for a party?
3. In Chapter 2, who is still in Tony's life "Despite everything, despite Zenia"?
4. How does Anthea die in Chapter 23?
5. What is the name of the shop at which Charis works?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tony's relationship with West during her undergraduate days at McClung Hall.
2. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
3. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
5. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
6. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
7. Describe Tony's sand table and the game she plays on it.
8. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
9. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
10. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 2
Feminine complicity in the poor treatment of women is one of Margaret Atwood's themes in "The Robber Bride." Discuss how Zenia's actions illustrate this theme and give two additional examples from the text that do not involve Zenia.
Essay Topic 3
Eggs are a recurring symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Cite three examples of the use of this symbol and discuss what you think eggs represent in each example.
This section contains 854 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)