|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What evidence tells Tony that West knows about Zenia's death?
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony believe motivated Zenia's behavior?
3. In Chapter 22, who was an English war bride?
4. Who is the narrator in the first chapter of "The Robber Bride"?
5. Where are Zenia's ashes interred in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What reason does West give in Chapter 55 for not telling Tony that Zenia called?
2. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
3. Explain the significance of the light blue energy Charis sees around her hands after tossing Zenia's ashes into the water in Chapter 57.
4. Describe Karen/Charis's relationship with her mother, Gloria.
5. Explain Zenia's romantic history with West.
6. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
7. Explain the significance of Tony's lace-edged collars being mentioned in Chapter 1 alongside a mention of Tony's interest in wars.
8. Describe Charis's life on the island with Billy before Zenia comes.
9. Describe Tony's relationship with West during her undergraduate days at McClung Hall.
10. What significance does the sprig of Queen Anne's lace that Tony collects in remembrance of Zenia have?
Essay Topic 1
Compare and contrast the characters of Tony, Charis and Roz in "The Robber Bride." Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Karen changes her name to Charis in the book. Discuss whether you think Karen's name change and Charis's occasional lapses back into Karen indicates a mental illness or indicates her strength in being able to cope with the terrible abuse she endures. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
This section contains 1,770 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)