|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 3, who does Tony recall said nice things about Zenia at her memorial service?
2. How does Tony's father, Griff, behave in Chapter 23 once his wife leaves him?
3. In the first line of the book, when does the narrator say the story of Zenia ought to begin?
4. When Tony's mother leaves at the end of Chapter 22, what present does she leave Tony?
5. In Chapter 1, to whom does Tony say that history is a construct?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe Tony's sand table and the game she plays on it.
2. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
3. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
4. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
5. Describe Charis's relationship with Shanita.
6. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
7. Explain Charis's psychic abilities.
8. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
9. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
10. In her undergraduate days, what was Tony's relationship with the Common room girls at McClung Hall?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Zenia runs away with West, Billy, and Mitch, bringing her three supposed friends, Tony, Charis and Roz, much pain. Is there any evidence in the text that Zenia is not all evil? Does she have any good in her or any sense of true friendship toward the women she betrays? Give at least three examples from the text to support your conclusions.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the theme of war in "The Robber Bride." Give three examples of how the theme is woven into the story and discuss why you think the author chose the imagery of war and battle for this tale. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 896 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)