|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Charis go to the Kafay Nwar in Chapter 11?
2. At the beginning of Chapter 1, what has been erased, bandaged over and deliberately snarled?
3. Who taught Tony to make a cup of tea?
4. How many children does Roz have?
5. What interests Tony more than births and deaths and marriages?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
2. Describe Roz's feelings about her wealth.
3. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
4. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
5. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
6. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
7. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
8. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
9. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
10. Why does Tony pick October 23, 1990 as the date on which to begin Zenia's story?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
"The Robber Bride" contains a number of instances of foreshadowing. Cite three examples of foreshadowing and how this literary method is used to indicate events to come.
Essay Topic 2
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)