|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In Chapter 9, what does Shanita tell Charis that the stopping of Charis's pendulum signifies?
2. What nickname does Tony's mother, Anthea, give Tony as an infant?
3. In Chapter 14, why does Roz take the Benz rather than the Rolls to the office?
4. What does West do when Zenia returns after he has married Tony?
5. Which of the following women was the first to befriend Zenia?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain what tale Zenia gives Tony about her childhood and mother.
2. Explain what has made Tony, Charis, and Roz friends.
3. Explain the black enamel paint in Zenia and West's apartment in Chapter 19.
4. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
5. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
6. Describe the memorial service for Zenia after her supposed death in Lebanon.
7. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
8. Were Tony's parents happily married?
9. Why is Tony a suitable narrator/chronicler of Zenia's story?
10. What information is revealed about Tony in Chapter 1?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Zenia has affairs with three men in "The Robber Bride" and gets each of her lovers to leave his wife/girlfriend for her. Compare and contrast Zenia's relationships with West, Billy, and Mitch. Do you think she loved any of them? Which man do you think Zenia loved or wanted most? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 2
Motherhood is one of the themes in "The Robber Bride." Compare and contrast Tony's mother, Roz's mother, and Charis's mother and discuss how their mothering affects their daughters' lives. Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Several suicides and two attempted suicides occur in "The Robber Bride." Discuss Roz's attempted suicide, Charis's attempted suicide, and the suicides of Tony's father, Griff, and Roz's husband, Mitch. What motivated each of them, and what theme(s) or lesson(s) do you think the author is trying to convey through these incidents? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 929 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)