|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When Zenia asks Tony in Chapter 19 what her passion is, how does Tony respond?
2. At the end of Chapter 1, from what does Zenia return?
3. In Chapter 9, what does Shanita tell Charis that the stopping of Charis's pendulum signifies?
4. What is the name of the shop at which Charis works?
5. What is Tony's profession?
Short Essay Questions
1. Explain Roz's relationship with Boyce.
2. What is Charis's relationship with her daughter, Augusta?
3. In Chapter 1, who is the antagonist of the story and what helps identify that character as the villain?
4. Describe Tony's relationship with West during her undergraduate days at McClung Hall.
5. If Zenia is such bad business, why does Tony want to unravel the knot of Zenia and tell her story?
6. Why isn't Tony sure which of Zenia's accounts of herself are true?
7. Why does Tony think of McClung Hall as a haven?
8. Explain why Tony feels insecure about West after learning Zenia is still alive.
9. Why does Tony think Zenia created turbulence, and why does Tony feel compelled to understand Zenia's motivations?
10. In Chapter 1, what does Tony teacher her students that history is?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Color is used as a symbol throughout "The Robber Bride." Discuss what each of the following examples of color as symbol represents and what they indicate about the characters who experience them: Roz's white bedroom, Zenia's black enamel apartment, the blue aura around Roz's grandmother and the red aura around Zenia at the Toxique.
Essay Topic 2
Give at least three examples of Charis's supposed psychic abilities in "The Robber Bride" and discuss whether you think these abilities are genuine, a figment Charis's imagination, or a combination of illusion and reality. If you do not think all of Charis's experiences are genuine psychic phenomena, what do you think they represent instead? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
Essay Topic 3
Compare and contrast the character of Zenia with each of the friends she betrays: Tony, Charis, and Roz. What draws each of the women to Zenia, and what draws Zenia to each of them in return? How does Zenia tailor her claims about her childhood to each woman? Cite examples from the text to support your arguments.
This section contains 873 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)